Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Jack is attempting to steer Marie towards a career away from the military or intelligence and into something far more lucrative.
On this occasion, I think Kat will be very far from upset too.
However, he is steering against the tide I suspect. Not that Marie will follow her mother or sister, I suspect she'll end up going into diplomacy, and very successfully too.

Imagine, a few years down the line, Boutros Boutros Gali and Olaf Palme are struggling to calm the Greeks and the Turks in their 43rd border war, so they call up Marie.
2 weeks later, the Greeks and Turks are inviting each other to dinner...

Jack is attempting to steer Marie towards a career away from the military or intelligence and into something far more lucrative.
Perhaps into Industrial Espionage? Much more lucrative and a bit less dangerous....Unless you stumble into a SMERSH or THRUSH operation.

No, Jack knows exactly what Kat would do to him if he got Marie involved in anything dubious, he'd be lucky to walk again, let alone with just a limp.

Anything he gets Marie involved in would be above board.

For his own safety.

Marie may have just raised some eyebrows if she was spotted by any interested intelligence agencies, the British are already alerted.
The main thing is that Marie's time to shine is coming next year with the Olympics in Montreal, there is going to be a need for translators by the boat full as networks, corporations, governments, and the various Olympic teams and committee will need them.
With Marie being a polyglot and a resident of Montreal, she is going to be in high demand by everyone, and as an added bonus, she has worked for the German Empress thus making her a "Prestige Hire".

Part 138, Chapter 2387
Chapter Two Thousand Three Hundred Eighty-Seven

11th July 1975

In Transit, Over the English Channel

Jack supposed that Marie Alexandra must be used to the slings and arrows of international travel and airlines. Taking a private jet from Dublin to Berlin was very different from that and she had seemed surprised at every step along the way. After Marie had spent an evening showing extraordinary tolerance towards Jacqueline, the least that he could do was let her tag along on a flight that he had planned on taking to Berlin anyway.

Presently, she was sitting in her seat with her eyes closed wearing headphones and murmuring words in a language that Jack could hardly speak but recognized all too well. In the sunlight streaming in through the window, she almost looked angelic. Through a quirk in genetics, Marie strongly favored her father in her appearance with a heart shaped face and high cheekbones. The red hair and her eyes were inherited from her mother. Anyone who had ever seen those blue eyes staring coldly at them found it hard to forget, though Jack didn’t find Marie to be cold. Kat had once told him that she thought Marie was a lot like who she might have been if things had been different. There was probably a bit of truth in that, though Jack was reminded of a proverb about how God tended to both give and take.

“Why is a German girl trying to learn Gaeilge?” Jack asked.

Marie opened her eyes, removed the headphones from her ears so that they were hanging around her neck, and hit stop on the small tape player, a wonder of engineering not much larger than the cassette tapes it played. Marie had brought dozens of tapes with her, mostly for learning languages but music as well. Jack could see the Sony and Stereo emblazoned on the front of its plastic case. Marie had mentioned that she been given the tape player from Princess Kristina as a gift. The Princess frequently received products from the Sony Corporation before they were offered to the general public, this was apparently one of those things.

“Excuse me?” Marie asked, “Did you say something?”

“I heard you asking for directions to the nearest bus stop” Jack replied, “And was wondering why you are studying that particular language.”

“It interests me” Marie replied, “And I was just in Ireland, when in Rome.”

“I see” Jack said, starting to wonder if even he had not fully understood Marie’s abilities. He had heard that she was a Polyglot, but just what did that mean? “How many languages do you speak?”

Marie took a minute to think about it. “English, of course” She said, that happened to be the language they were speaking that minute. “German, French, Metropolitan and Quebecois, I grew up with the latter. Russian, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, though I have struggled a bit with some of the Southern dialects. Spanish and Italian were easy after learning Latin in School. I also learned Greek in School. I have been trying to learn Arabic, but study materials of that are a bit hard to find and I haven’t met many native speakers, that is the same problem I ran into when I was learning Swahili. I would like to study Vietnamese and… What?”

Jack must not have been able to hide his growing disbelief.

“I was just thinking that in many respects you are just as formidable as your mother” Jack said, “She was also frequently underestimated as well.”

“Is that why you tried to kidnap her?” Marie asked.

Jack felt a bit embarrassed that Marie knew about that but realized that this was one of those times when candor was warranted.

“The US State Department was concerned that American interests were going to be disrupted by the actions of General von Holz. I was working with Naval Intelligence at the time, and it was felt that your mother was the weak link in that operation.” Jack replied, “The intention was to question her and then let her go.”

“What idiot came up with that plan?” Marie said with a barely suppressed giggle. If Jack had known then what he knew now, he would have understood that the entire scheme amounted to almost suicidal stupidity.

“Paul Finley” Jack replied, “My so-called superior who sprung that on me at the last second so I couldn’t talk him out of it, and we narrowly avoided being prosecuted by the Australians. The Navy used what your mother did to me as an excuse to get rid of me, medical discharge, and I had little choice but to get a one-way ticket on a ship to Ireland.”

“I see” Marie replied, “I only knew my mother’s version.”

“What is different about her version of events?” Jack asked.

“She said that she was happy that the two of you provided a welcome diversion from her companion that night who she had been about to thump” Marie said, “She also mentioned being pleased that she avoided getting blood on her dress.”

“That sounds like her” Jack replied, “I recall that she was wearing a loose, cream-colored dress with a green sash around her waist, it really would have been a shame to ruin it.”

Marie paused for a second.

“She gave me that dress a few years ago and insisted that I try it on so that she could see how it looked” Marie said, “She said she got it in Australia, but didn’t tell me the whole story.”

“There are a number of things that I am sure your mother would like to tell you, but she has sworn to keep them secret. In some cases, forever.” Jack said, “There is a reason why she has been my client for so long. I am one of the few people who understands her as Kat, the woman from Pankow-Heinersdorf, as opposed to her titles and that nickname that has stuck with her for decades.”

“Die Tigerin” Marie said softly, her voice hardly heard over the sound of the engines of the airplane.

Last edited:
You know, that entire scene makes me oddly fond of Jack in a way i wasn't before. He seems more human, and humane, then his lawyer and senior partner exterior makes him out to be.

Hoyahoo9

Donor
“I was just thinking that in many respects you are just as formidable as your mother” Jack said, “She was also frequently underestimated as well.”
This sentence provides a beautifully understated insight. And overall, this is one of the most moving chapters of this amazing opus.

On this occasion, I think Kat will be very far from upset too.
However, he is steering against the tide I suspect. Not that Marie will follow her mother or sister, I suspect she'll end up going into diplomacy, and very successfully too.

Imagine, a few years down the line, Boutros Boutros Gali and Olaf Palme are struggling to calm the Greeks and the Turks in their 43rd border war, so they call up Marie.
2 weeks later, the Greeks and Turks are inviting each other to dinner...
I think Jack would be happy for the firm to sponsor Marie in gaining her articles and get her on the road to International Law if she wanted to go that way.

The thing with Marie that is being overlooked by everybody is that she is so talented that the people she meets can see her doing something in their own profession.
Aunt Gerta can see Marie as an actress and with her being a polyglot, Marie is perfect to be cast in international productions in different languages.
Jack Kennedy sees her potential in International Law and as a future Associate in his firm.
Sir Malcolm and other members of the world's intelligence agencies see Marie as a future player, and for them the question is in what capacity?
Cousin Zella probably sees Marie as the next generation International Television Correspondent.
The problem for Marie is that she is so talented, she is so afraid of locking herself too early in one direction and she wants to experience as much as possible in the time that is available.

Part 139, Chapter 2388
Chapter Two Thousand Three Hundred Eighty-Eight

12th July 1975

Tempelhof, Berlin

Flying back to Berlin had been a nice change, but as Marie Alexandra had discovered that didn’t mean that things would move swiftly on the other end. The train which would take her back to Wilhelmshaven wasn’t going to leave until Monday morning, which would be after two very long days. While she liked sleeping in the bedroom that had been hers for her entire life, her mother was still after her to do something about her perceived shyness. She found that bothersome and felt that she needed indulge herself by doing what she always did when she felt uncomfortable in her own skin. Marie became someone else for a few hours.

With her red hair hidden underneath a dark wig and theatrical contact lenses that changed her eye-color to the most particular shade of amethyst. Marie had also applied makeup to make her complexion far lighter, like someone who had never seen a ray of sunlight. She was also wearing a crimson dress that perfectly matched her lipstick to complete the look.

Walking down the street, Marie drifted through the shops getting the occasional stare from a passerby and reveling in how in made her feel… Well, like someone far bolder than she normally was. Stepping into a shop that sold Rock & Roll memorabilia as well as records, Marie was looking at concert posters that were in a rack that allowed them to be flipped through like a book.

“Can I help you Fräulein?” The man running the store asked with a leering grin, and Marie couldn’t help but notice that his eyes seemed to be looking everywhere but her face. She had to stop herself from reacting defensively, which was exactly what he probably wanted.

Marie responded in French. Despite being a Rocker, the man didn’t seem like the sort who had ever left this neighborhood unless they absolutely had to. Any lessons in different languages he’d had probably ended the instant he no longer had to attend those classes.

“Yes sir, can you tell me when these bands are coming back to your city?” said Marie, delighted at the bewildered look he gave her. “You go to a lot of Rock & Roll concerts, don't you?”

“Er… Excuse me?” The man replied, clearly not understanding what had been asked.

Marie smiled and started looking back to the posters. She figured that in a minute he would leave her to her browsing.

“Marie!” Marie heard a voice say excitedly, then Dieter Deisler ran up and started rattling off to her all about how he and his brother Sepp were going to a Castle over the upcoming Summer Holiday.

“Stop it Didi” Sepp Deisler, the older brother in question said sharply. “That’s not…”

Sepp looked at her for a few seconds blinking.

“Sorry, I didn’t recognize you at first.” Sepp said sheepishly.

Marie couldn’t help but notice that the man who she had been speaking to before was giving her a dirty look. He was actually fast enough on the uptake to realize that she had been playing him for a fool.

“We should probably take this elsewhere” Marie said as she walked towards the door.

“Oh” Sepp said, catching on to what was going on.

Stepping out onto the sidewalk, they walked up the street.

“Sorry that I barely recognized you. What was that about?” Sepp finally asked as they followed Dieter, towards the small park where the High Street ended in a T intersection at the boundary of the Humboldt Campus.

“Men like that behave like pigs” Marie replied, “So I gave him the impression that I was someone he couldn’t talk to. Didi sort of ruined it.”

“He excels at that sort of thing” Sepp said, “He got both of us roped into going to the Hohenzollern Province this summer.”

“You are going to the castle to be Kiki’s guests?” Marie asked, she was unable to hide how delighted she was to hear that Kiki was still doing that.

“Take the poor kids out of the city for a few weeks so that they don’t end up in jail” Sepp said, “Diversion, I think that they call it that.”

“I’ve spent a few Summer Holidays at Hohenzollern Castle and I am not poor” Marie said, “Personally, I think that you will have a lot of fun if you give it a chance.”

Sepp seemed rather dismissive of that. Clearly, he felt that spending the summer that way was a waste of his time.

“How is Zoe doing?” Sepp asked.

“She’s in France right now, she was Italy and Belgium before that I think” Marie replied, “Women’s Road Racing, that’s all I know.”

“I had no idea.”

“My mother mentioned that she is trying to qualify for Montreal next year” Marie said, “I don’t pretend to know much about that, it seems odd to me that some people take cycling so seriously.”

“What’s happening in the Montreal next year?” Sepp asked as Dieter walked back towards them licking an ice cream cone he had gotten from a cart that was doing brisk business. Without missing a beat, he asked; “Just who paid for that?”

“I did with the money Momma gave me this morning” Dieter replied, “She said to have fun with it and that if she gave it to you, you would just save it.”

Sepp seemed a bit annoyed that his mother had spoken to his little brother that way about him.

“Family is always like that” Marie said, “If not disappointing you with their behaviors, they are crushing you with expectations.”

“Expectations?” Sepp asked, “You have clearly never met my father.”

“Sophie told me about him” Marie said, “Despite all that, you look like you are doing well. I’ll tell Sophie that the next time I talk to her, she’ll be glad to hear it.”

Sepp looked to Marie like if he were about to say something more, but then said nothing and they resumed walking through the park.

I think there are big changes coming to the Deisler Family over the summer and Didi and Sepp are being sent to the Castle to get them out of any blowback that may happen.

Wonder if Sepp and Dietrichs mom has had a chance to attend the Ms Mischner's classes to help housewives learn to take care of the husbands properly? Since Kat has taken an interest in Sepp and his brothers, it would not be much of a stretch for her to invite her to take the classes. Lots of different instructors for the courses from simple housewives like the Kat herself, Russian ladies aid society members, and even ones from places like Japan and Russian even.

Wonder if Sepp and Dietrichs mom has had a chance to attend the Ms Mischner's classes to help housewives learn to take care of the husbands properly?

At least it's not Papa Mischner's class to help housewives learn to take care of their husbands properly.

That would probably involve strychnine, a shovel and quick line...

What are the consequences of no Holocaust ITTL on Jewish culture and demographics? The German Empire ITTL includes the areas that held most of the Jewish population in Europe, so they probably have at least some influence on it. I could imagine less immigration towards USA and some inner migration inside the GE, mostly from Poland proper to Germany and to Galicia after it got it’s independence.

What are the consequences of no Holocaust ITTL on Jewish culture and demographics? The German Empire ITTL includes the areas that held most of the Jewish population in Europe, so they probably have at least some influence on it. I could imagine less immigration towards USA and some inner migration inside the GE, mostly from Poland proper to Germany and to Galicia after it got it’s independence.
We‘ve already had some glimpses from the author previously: Aurora Capa-Taro’s holidays to the Baltic coast in TTL’s ’Hebrew Riviera’, TTL’s Henry Kissinger as a national political figure, Anne Frank as a successful author and social historian of the German Court under Empress Kira Kirilovna, the Jewish wholesalers in NYC from whom Kat bought lots of hard to get goodies from during the War came back to visit Germany and found the place not so bad…