Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

ferdi254

Banned
Dain the thing is that catholics follow the same procedure no matter the country. If the preacher does x the concregation does y always the same and always in the same order. And staunch catholics know those things as in knowing how to ride a bike. It is so automatic that anybody who is not trained weekly for years is standing out like a sore pimple. OTL btw all masses in catholic churches worldwide were held in latin until 1968.

Last edited:
Dain the thing is that Catholics follow the same procedure no matter the country. If the preacher does x the congregation does y always the same and always in the same order. And staunch Catholics know those things as in knowing how to ride a bike. It is so automatically that anybody who is not trained weekly for years is standing out like a sore pimple. OTL btw all masses in catholic churches worldwide were held in latin until 1968.
It may be that this church still does, so not even the language would have changed from the last time Marie was in a Catholic church. .

Dain the thing is that catholics follow the same procedure no matter the country. If the preacher does x the concregation does y always the same and always in the same order. And staunch catholics know those things as in knowing how to ride a bike. It is so automatically that anybody who is not trained weekly for years is standing out like a sore pimple. OTL btw all masses in catholic churches worldwide were held in latin until 1968.
And if Vatican II hasn’t happened IOTL, then Mass probably still is in Latin.

Well King Albrecht is going to be pleased about having the Olympics in Munich and it is going to be one of the few times that the Olympics are going to held in a city that is not the Capital city of the host nation.
IOTL the the Olympic stadium and other venues reflected the Post War modernism that Munich wanted to show after the destruction it suffered during IOTL WW II.
ITTL it may be a different style more keeping with the traditional look of the city since there is not the OTL destruction, also a certain OTL event is not going happen or if it does it is going to be so much different.

Love the way Opa Malcolm has Marie's number and not only he is not mad at her but he is helping her keep the deception against Margot going.

Birdie has finally had enough of Michael's dithering and is taking charge of the relationship and with the marriage of Kiki and Ben being postponed for a year that opens a window for a wedding to happen and when Michael tries to point out that it takes time to plan out a Royal Wedding he is going to find out the the protocol office has already has the plans already to go all they need is a date and a winter wedding in Prague sounds romantic...
An erudite assessment (as always I might add). I am having real trouble imagining Big Ears as female. Shudder, Shudder. I think people in my parents day would say she was “handsome”. A backhanded compliment if ever there was one.

An erudite assessment (as always I might add). I am having real trouble imagining Big Ears as female. Shudder, Shudder. I think people in my parents day would say she was “handsome”. A backhanded compliment if ever there was one.
Mind you, she doesn't look like her counterpart from OTL, closer to her younger sister from both timelines. Still, it is one of many genetic jokes that are percolating.

Last edited:
I may have missed it but what is the latest on Grand Admiral Jacob von Schmidt?
Last thing I remember is Albrecht von Richthofen oven visiting him and Jacob was speaking in Yiddish with intelligence officials being concerned that Jacob was going to spill things he shouldn't.

Dain the thing is that catholics follow the same procedure no matter the country. If the preacher does x the concregation does y always the same and always in the same order. And staunch catholics know those things as in knowing how to ride a bike. It is so automatic that anybody who is not trained weekly for years is standing out like a sore pimple. OTL btw all masses in catholic churches worldwide were held in latin until 1968.
Yep (I'm a practicing Catholic), though some churches (mainly the larger ones) still also have some masses held in latin (some people think it sounds beautiful to hear the mass being conducted in latin [which I don't get]).

@Peabody-Martini

Just a brief note to tell you how impressed I am at the quality and gob-smackingly rapid pace of this story!

I'm following 10 stories here in AH, and I check every day hoping for something to have moved. With all the respect I have for the various authors' labor of love, it's almost scary how virtually EVERY time I look: WHAM! a new SLAH post is up!

In these anxious times, the respite you provide may not be obvious to you, but it is very real.

All my respect and my very best wishes to one who has earned the title "Maker".

Part 116, Chapter 1920
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Twenty

31st July 1969

Wuhan, China

The South had staged a mass uprising against the rule of Beijing late in the prior year. General Pan Yong’s advice to the Generalissimo had been to allow him to go down there and crush it before the cancerous sedition spread, which regrettably had not happened. Secretly, Pan also had a personal motive in that it was his rival turned nemesis, General Sun Li-jen who had emerged as the Commander of the Southern rebels. Throughout his entire career Pan had labored in the shadow of Sun, and he relished the thought of proving forever that he was the greater man. Instead, Chiang Kai-shek had ordered Pan to guard and maintain order in the capital. This was much to his great frustration as the National Army suffered a series of embarrassing reverses over the prior winter. Then when spring came, the Generalissimo had finally relented and sent Pan south at the head of an Army numbering almost a million men.

Thirty-one years earlier, during the Japanese War, a part of what would later come to be the far wider Pacific War, a series of battles had been fought around Wuhan. The result had been an unlikely strategic victory by the Chinese Army that had bought them time to reposition their supplies and forces in a way that enabled them to continue the war for the following seven years. Pan Yong had started his career in that battle as a Captain leading an Infantry Company and had swiftly rose in rank after that. So, as the Rebel Army had moved north intelligence had swiftly ascertained that the most likely route crossing the Yangtze River would take them through Wuhan. For Pan the symmetry was too much to be ignored. The same place that had been the site of his personal beginning becoming where his greatest triumph would occur being the neat bookends of his career, it seemed ordained by the Heavens. He would return to Beijing in victory and began anew, right after he finished disposing of a particular Generalissimo who had clearly outlived his usefulness.

Potsdam

Manny had little use for pistols. He couldn’t recall which Western film it had been, but there was a line about how they were only good for shooting people and snakes, either tended to cause trouble. Over his short career, that had been Manny’s experience. Still though, he had been told that as a Lieutenant in the First Foot he needed to qualify with a pistol. He had put it off for as long as he could, but here he was at the indoor shooting range today wasting an afternoon that could have been spent in a thousand other, far more productive ways.

That was also why Manny had been issued with a Mauser-Seidel P67 pistol. It was the latest iteration of the breach locking version of the HS with the rotating barrel, all so it could be chambered in 9mm Parabellum. The only real change that had been made in recent years was that it had been modified to accept the double-stack magazines that were now standard for the entire military. Like most other Officers who said that they had no need for pistols, Manny had been given it because most of those who actually cared to have a pistol preferred something else, but the M-S P67, like all other versions of the HS series looked nice, especially when it never had to be removed from the holster.

Loading into the magazine into the pistol, Manny pulled the slide back, thumbed off the safety and fired sixteen shots at the target ten meters away, shredding the center of the paper target. He did that with two more magazines in quick succession with the additional target posters at fifteen and twenty meters.

“There” Manny said knowing that he had got a qualifying score even if he didn’t care what it was. “You get that.”

The Range Officer gave him an annoyed look as he wrote down the score. “Yes” He replied, “But it doesn’t matter Lieutenant, you are among the group is slated to take the practical shooting course at the Signals School in Anhalt next week as of yesterday morning.”

“Is that a joke?” Manny asked.

“Hardly” The Range Officer said, “But you just got a bit of practice in, didn’t you?”

“And if I had done this last week?” Manny asked.

“You wouldn’t be looking forward to a field trip to Halle.”

Manny tried to hide his annoyance at that. He had not wanted to waste a couple hours. Now he was looking forward to having to spend a couple days standing around at the Signals School taking the course and as a Lieutenant he would be expected to set an example. That meant that he would be the first one to endure whatever tortures the Noncommissioned Officers who devised it had cooked up. Manny knew full well that those were the exact circumstances where he would need to defer to them and fully expected them to take advantage of every second of it.

That was why he was grumbling as he walked back towards the Administration Services building to file his latest range score. It being the Potsdam barracks, there were reminders everywhere that they were in the middle of a fairly large city. Even so he was a bit surprised when a wall a steel raced past the end of the alley he was walking down and he found himself engulfed in a cloud of diesel exhaust as the roar of the Panzer filled the air. Looking around the corner, Manny saw a Leopard driving towards a Transporter. Suse was standing in the Commander’s Cupola with a big grin on her face, she waved when she saw Manny standing there. He was wondering exactly what she was doing here and what was going on with the Panzer.

Last edited:

PNWKing

Banned
"Arrested development." That reminds me. What happened to a certain Vienna pediatrician who IOTL identified several of his patients suffering a certain disorder in 1943. With no NSDAP, his reputation should be less shattered. (Hans Asperger.)

I wonder if the British are helping General Sun because the British would like a more permanent solution to Hong Kong and maybe Chiang Kai-shek is setting Pan up to fail because to Chiang Pan is the greater threat..

At first I thought that Suse Rosa was able to find a way to make her dreams come true but after the last post I think she has something to do with the designer side.

Part 116, Chapter 1921
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Twenty-One

1st August 1969

Charlottenburg, Berlin

For Suse, this was like all of the Christmases and Birthdays rolled into one as she ignored the stares that she, along with the other Engineering students she was working with received through the open bay doors as they were looking at their latest project. They had an operational Panzer VIII “Leopard” in the Mechanical Engineering Department of Berlin Technical University. Rheinmetall and the Heer wanted fresh eyes on the next stage of the evolution of Leopard. Suse had been one of the students who had been invited to take part in the project and she had not needed to think about it, she had leapt at the opportunity because it exactly the sort of thing that she was studying Mechanical Engineering in order to do.

Suse had also gone with the team that had gone to pick up the Leopard from the 2nd Life Hussars in Potsdam. There had been a surprising moment when Manfred had walked past as they were about to load it onto the transporter to take it from Potsdam to Charlottenburg. He had been wondering what she was doing there and in the cupola of a Panzer. Suse had told him that it was where she belonged because her favorite childhood memories were of riding in her father’s Panzer.

Today was different though. The serious business of examining every centimeter of the Leopard and compiling a report on exactly what improvements could be made was starting. The other thing was that Rheinmetall had introduced them to the design team that was building an improved version of the 12.8 centimeter main gun and had hinted that whoever came up with a reliable autoloader for the thing would be well rewarded after the attempts made by the various corporations had proven less than satisfactory. Suse found herself in high demand because she knew the systems and her small size was a benefit for once because she had no issues in getting into the cramped interior.

Munich

It was a bit of an odd visit. Elizabeth II of England was here in Munich to visit Vicky and Max Joseph after having gone to Berlin to meet with Louis Ferdinand a day earlier. There was also the aspect of her meeting with King Albrecht of Bavaria which was far more serious business. As strange as it sounded, there were still Jacobites out there who wanted a Stuart restoration and believed that the House of Windsor was illegitimate. The reason that made things complicated was that the current possible Stuart claimant to the British Throne just happened to be Albrecht himself, though he had never made an issue of it, mostly because he had never needed to. That was always at the forefront of everyone’s mind whenever a meeting like that took place.

Oddly, after meeting with Albrecht, Elizabeth seemed happy to listen to the latest Court gossip in Bavaria. Talking with Vicky over tea while sitting in the expansive garden of the Nymphenburg Palace. That was especially true where it concerned her eldest daughter Alberta and her campaign to convince the young King of Bohemia to marry her. In many ways that was a welcome change from Elizabeth’s concerns about her other daughter, nineteen-year-old Anne. Her other children, Eleanor and William were nine and six respectively, far too young to cause the sort of trouble that their much older siblings were very capable of.

“It is very simple” Vicky said, “Michael wants everyone to see him as being far more than just a warrior prince, he wants to be seen as a Renaissance man, a supporter of competitive sports and a Patron of the Arts.”

“That is laudable” Elizabeth replied.

“I love my big brother, but he is sort of a blunt object” Vicky said, “His horses probably know more about culture than he does and his taste in music is terrifying. When he attended the Winter Olympics in California, he developed a liking of American Country and Western music. Don’t get me started on his choice of clothes, that is even worse if you can believe it. Sports on the other hand are not a problem for him, he can bore you with that all day if you are foolish enough to bring that up with him.”

“And where does Alberta fit in to all of that?” Elizabeth asked.

“Michael needs her if he is ever going to sell people on what he has been trying to do in Prague” Vicky replied.

“Sell people what exactly?”

Vicky waved her hand in a dismissive gesture. “He wants Prague to be one of the great centers of culture and learning” She said, “Mostly it is just to satisfy his own ego, but the Royal Tutor back when we were children drummed into his head that you cannot support a military machine without a vibrant society and industry. I don’t know if that is true or not, but he took that lesson to heart.”

“I see” Elizabeth said. Finding out what sort of man her daughter fancied was informative. Apparently, he was a man who listened to a sensible argument when he heard it. His sister might be completely dismissive of him, but that much was true. There was also this business of him being the one who told Alberta that she had choices in her life and her taking that to heart. It was something that Elizabeth herself had trouble communicating to her daughter.

“Birdie dragged Michael to the Opera a couple weeks ago and by some miracle he stayed awake for the whole thing” Vicky said, “That means that he cares about Birdie to some degree.” With that Max Joseph woke up and started fussing, so she pulled him out of the pram that he had been sleeping in. A nurse whose presence Elizabeth had been unaware of came out of nowhere and helped as Vicky began to unbutton her blouse. As if Elizabeth needed yet another example of the German attitudes about certain things.

Last edited:
I wonder if the British are helping General Sun because the British would like a more permanent solution to Hong Kong and maybe Chiang Kai-shek is setting Pan up to fail because to Chiang Pan is the greater threat..

At first I thought that Suse Rosa was able to find a way to make her dreams come true but after the last post I think she has something to do with the designer side.
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes, my main man Sun Li-jen is going to eat that Pan asshole for lunch. You don't fuck with Rommel of the East (an old Rommel of the East [1], to be sure - he's 69 at this point ITTL) and come out in one piece.

Re: China, I know it's too late to go back and change things, but if the Second Sino-Japanese War ITTL [2] went roughly the same way it did IOTL Chiang's power could not have dwindled to the point where his subordinates think they have a shot at a successful coup, even with the Korean debacle. Also, historically speaking, Whampoa Boys never once couped against their Headmaster, and by the end of of Civil War, you pretty much have to be a Whampoa Boy to ascend to field command (see the OTL experiences of Sun Li-jen)

[1] Von Wolvogle of the East ITTL, probably?
[2] It wasn't mentioned much ITTL, but I do wonder how did events go, because the war would greatly impact how China turned out in the 50s and 60s

Marc A

Next up for Queen Elizabeth II a State Visit to Prague and as an added bonus a surprise from Kaiser Louis Ferdinand and with Princess Alberta already there it would be a great time to make an important announcement that comes as a total surprise to Michael...