Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

"Big" Bill Stoughton will be to James Hendrix what Speaker Sam Rayburn was to Lyndon Johnson IOTL.
There was a mention of a big Aviation Bill coming up and there is no reason that Henry "Scoop" Jackson otherwise known as "The Senator from Boeing" IOTL wouldn't be ITTL and taking the lead on this bill in the Senate.
And just as Speaker Sam IOTL would sometimes give the lead on a couple of major bills to a junior Congressman, Stoughton is going to give a boost to Hendrix by making him the House sponsor of the "Jackson-Hendrix" aviation bill.

Even without a direct WWII involvement th U.S. still became a major supplier of military hardware. So did this serve to increase industrialization and did the Great Migration still happen? Could the Democrats be looking to the future of the party by wooing the black vote outside of the South? Or are they too stained by the racism of the Solid South?

And after a few terms as a Senator, (maybe three)...
Governor of Washington State. I don't see the USA ITTL being ready for anything higher than that any earlier than OTL.

Buddy Holly for either the AG or a seat on the Supreme Court. Or both. Both is good.

Part 115, Chapter 1907
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Seven

26th April 1969

Mitte, Berlin

“I wish I were there instead of here” Kiki said into the telephone as she looked out of her bedroom window at the city streets far below.

“I doubt that” Ben replied, “This is about as exciting as watching paint dry, or glass being ground as it is in this case.”

The giant mirror that was being fabricated by Zeiss in Jena was one of the largest ever attempted and the process had proven painstaking, with several new technologies having to be invented in the process. The process of casting and annealing the mirror had gone on for years. The grinding and polishing had gone faster, but not by much. Ben was there observing the final stages of the process. He had done his best to explain how even once the fabrication was complete, the mirror would still need to be transported to Balderschwang and hauled up the mountain to the observatory that was being built atop Girenkopf, a mountain in Southern Bavaria that happened to be on land that Ben owned. That was supposed to take place over the summer.

“Boring seems like it would be a welcome change” Kiki said, “After what Zella did, I can’t seem to get a moment’s peace.”

“She was clear that she wanted to world to see you for who you are” Ben said, “I doubt that she meant any harm.”

Zella’s latest production had aired a few days earlier and it had turned her life upside down. Kiki knew that if even Ben was defending Zella’s actions, it suggested that she was not exactly being reasonable. Still, Zella’s latest documentary had featured her working in the Emergency Department at the hospital. The reaction had been unexpected. Unlike the previous documentary that Zella had made, which had featured Kiki and Vicky doing frivolous things on Holiday, this one could not have been more different. It showed her at work, and while the cases she had dealt with over the week that Zella had been filming had been relatively minor, as in not life threatening with prompt medical intervention. People had seen things differently, especially that one shot of Kiki trying to stop the bleeding in that man’s leg. That had really caught people’s imagination, especially when the man in question had given an interview singing her praises. Kiki had made sure that the press knew that she had not been the primary Surgeon on that case and that the credit should go to the Doctor she had been assisting. That had turned out to have been a mistake. She had been forced to move out of the Meta and into penthouse apartment that was the current Winter Residence, not because she was being threatened, but instead due to people who seemed to love what they thought she was and wouldn’t leave her alone.

“People already think they know me” Kiki said, “This will just make that worse.”

“People will forget about you soon enough Kiki” Ben said, “Eventually there will be a plane crash or a volcanic eruption, something of actual import. And if you give someone else a chance to be the first responder on the scene, no one will make as big a deal about you being there.”

Kiki was starting to suspect that Ben was making fun of her.

“My life is a mess” Kiki said.

“I love you too, Kiki” Ben said, “I really am looking forward to seeing you next week. In the meantime, go do something fun with your sisters, something mindless, even if it is just taking the dogs to the park.”

“I’ll see what I can do” Kiki replied.

“The world is not your responsibility” Ben said having picked up something from the tone of Kiki’s voice.

“I know” Kiki said, “But you know?”

“Yes” Ben said.

With that, Kiki looked over at Rauchbier and Weisse had worked out who got the preferred spot of sleep in next to the radiator in the time-honored manner of dogs since time out of mind. By doing their level best to push the other one out of the way. Weisse was no longer what might be considered a runt, being just as big as his sire. However, Rauchbier had done his level best to let his offspring know exactly who was boss, as comical as that was as it had played out. Rauchbier just wasn’t good at being mean when the opportunity to play presented itself.

Ben was right about Nella and Nan wanting to come along when Kiki took the dogs out for their afternoon run. That would be in a couple hours though because the girls were in school for a few more hours. Charlotte would want to have the noon meal ready as soon as they got home, which meant that Kiki’s father would be there. No one seemed to have any idea where Rea was, which was probably a good thing.

Krakow, Provisional Galicia and Ruthenia

Waiting at the station for the woman who was going to be the Queen of his fledgling nation was about par for the course for Olli these days. The train was pulling in and Olli found the new electric units lacked the drama of the old steam locomotives had before they had been replaced.

Despite his best efforts, Olli had been unable to return to farming. The Government was paying him enough to make him well to do, but it was not what he wanted to be doing with his life. After the events of the previous summer, he had managed to negotiate what he thought was the best deal possible for the breakaway province he had unexpectedly found himself playing a leading role in. If he had to guess, the plebiscite that was coming in just a few months’ time was a way to stick it to the Warsaw Government. Few had doubts about the outcome of the vote for independence from Warsaw. It was the draft Constitution that was the sticky part. They had to stitch a nation together that was composed of Germans, Poles, Jews, Ruthenians, Gypsies, and God only knew what else. All of whom had played key roles in the battle to liberate this country and felt entitled to a slice of the pie now that it was being divvied up. In Warsaw they’d had a common enemy who would have cheerfully killed the whole lot of them. Now that the threat had passed, they needed a figurehead of sorts to rally around. It was only a question of finding the right one.

The Provisional Government had a few ideas about who that be once they settled on the idea of a Constitutional Monarchy to provide that figurehead. They needed a member of the House of Hohenzollern who wasn’t stubbornly tradition bound and open-minded enough to assume a role that would probably require being different things to different people. The faction in the Government that had felt that Galicia would be better off as a Republic had settled on a name, largely because of the rumors about her. It was said Princess Marie Cecilie preferred the company of other women, so she was unlikely to produce an heir. So, they would get exactly what they wanted in a generation.

“You are Olaf Bauer?” Marie Cecilie asked as she stepped off the train.

“Olli” Olli said, “No has called me Olaf ever.”

“Fine Olli” Rea said as they walked towards the main station building surrounded by bodyguards. “I was reading the draft constitution on train. It is very inclusive and progressive. I like that.”

“You took the time to read all that?” Olli asked. That was something that no one had expected.

“Yes” Rea replied as they walked through the station with a smile on her face. “I think I might be happy here.”

Last edited:
The faction in the Government that had felt that Galicia would be better off as a Republic had settled on a name, largely because of the rumors about her. It was said Princess Marie Cecilie preferred the company of other women, so she was unlikely to produce an heir. So, they would get exactly what they wanted in a generation.
Oh boy are they in for a nasty surprise... XD XD XD And isn't that ironic...

Great update!

No one seemed to have any idea where Rea was, which was probably a good thing.
I assume many people do know, of course, but it also seems entirely reasonable that even Princess Kristina would not be on the need-to-know list until an official announcement has been made.

I really feel like the next couple generations are going to be quite interesting for north-central Europe in general and House Hohenzollern specifically. For example, it seems likely (although by no means guaranteed given which TL we're talking about) that Friedrich is the next Emperor, even given the title's now-elective nature. That becomes much less clear with the following generation. By that point, Prussia, Galicia, Bohemia, probably Bavaria, and possibly others will have kings descended from Louis Ferdinand.

I assume many people do know, of course, but it also seems entirely reasonable that even Princess Kristina would not be on the need-to-know list until an official announcement has been made.

I really feel like the next couple generations are going to be quite interesting for north-central Europe in general and House Hohenzollern specifically. For example, it seems likely (although by no means guaranteed given which TL we're talking about) that Friedrich is the next Emperor, even given the title's now-elective nature. That becomes much less clear with the following generation. By that point, Prussia, Galicia, Bohemia, probably Bavaria, and possibly others will have kings descended from Louis Ferdinand.

I'd say definitely Bavaria, as long as nothing happens to Vicky's son (or, indeed, any other children she might decide to have).

Not just a good thing for the dynasty, of course - the German Empire as a unified nation/confederation is very nicely knotted together now...

I'd say definitely Bavaria, as long as nothing happens to Vicky's son (or, indeed, any other children she might decide to have).

Certainly possible, but could go the other way, too. What I mean is, Friedrich will be 65 in 2004 I think (died in 2015 OTL), whereas Franz is still alive today so it's entirely possible that Franz and not his Hohenzollern-descended offspring is still King of Bavaria by the time the next Imperial Election comes up.

Things should settle down for Kiki now that the public's appetite has been filled by the documentary that showed her as a doctor, it will pick up a little bit if she and Ben do get married in the summer but really not by much.
Kiki and Ben are at the point in their lives where they can pretty much write their own tickets in regards to their professional careers.
Taking the dogs out with Nella and Nan should put everything in perspective.

So far the House of Hohenzollern has direct ties to the crowns of Bohemia and now Galicia, indirect ties to Bavaria where Vicky is newborn son is second in line for the throne all of that is inside the German Empire.
There is a cadet branch of the family that has the crown of Romania where the rules at this point in the timeline IOTL states if there is no direct male heir in line for the throne the crown goes to the main branch of the House of Hohenzollern and that means Louis Ferdinand Jr would become King of Romania because King Michael of Romania has only daughters.
Since King Michael doesn't die IOTL until 2017 there is plenty of time to set things right unless of course Stupid Luck and Happenstance shows up...

Since King Michael doesn't die IOTL until 2017 there is plenty of time to set things right unless of course Stupid Luck and Happenstance shows up...
In this timeline? Never! This sort of thing NEVER happens in this timeline, other wise it would be called...[checks notes], Stupid luck an....

Oh.
Right.

I see. Well then, King Michael, it was nice knowing you.

Part 115, Chapter 1908
Chapter One Thousand Nine Hundred Eight

30th May 1969

Moscow, Russia

Georgy had told her that she had won in the end, so she ought to give it a break. It had taken months but the construction firm that had failed to complete the building that she had been living in had finally relented after her cause had gotten international exposure. While Gia wouldn’t lie and say that she didn’t enjoy the comforts of her apartment in the center of Moscow, she had liked how the community in the neighborhood had eventually accepted her, especially once Alexei had moved in with her once the weather warmed in the early spring. He was still at an age when it seemed like everything was just pure joy with him and finding himself with dozens of other children his age to play with was bliss.

Of course, regardless of what her cousin had to say Gia had no intention of resting on her laurels. Today, she was preparing her notes as she was about address the Moscow Duma. As far as they were concerned, she was Jehane Alexandra Thomas-Romanova, Private Citizen, and the detail that she was the cousin of the Czar was immaterial. It wasn’t that she didn’t have allies among them, it was that she wasn’t seen as being an expert beyond having lived in a half-completed building abandoned by the builder for several months. The goal was to establish enforceable minimum building codes in the City of Moscow and the larger Oblast that surrounded it.

The problem that Gia ran into was that most of the people she spoke with were suspicious of anything that sounded like direct control of industry by Government. The Soviet Union might have been gone for decades, but memories of inept central planning of the economy remained. The very abuses she was here to address showed the need for the free-for-all economy to have some rules and regulation was hardly central planning. She just needed to persuade a skeptical City Government of that.

“It is time” One of the functionaries said poking his head into the hallway where Gia was waiting. Putting aside her nervousness, she followed him onto the floor of the Duma.

Wahlstatt

While the school didn’t have a problem with individual celebrations, they didn’t put any effort into them either. Mostly, they were rewarded for group accomplishments or they celebrated holidays. That was why Sabastian’s birthday was hardly going to be acknowledged this year. Coming at the end of May, it fell right in the middle of the mid-term exams and with his parents living in distant Flensburg he was only able to have a brief phone call with them. His mother had told him that his father had a transfer pending and would be serving on the Staff of the Grand Admiral of the Navy in Kiel. So, when he visited home over the summer, he would have a big port City to explore. Provided he could stay out of trouble between now and then.

School had been a constant ordeal. Sabastian had always been an indifferent student. He was finding that was not tolerated here in Wahlstatt. The teachers had been given wide latitude when it came to their methods and punishments. Sabastian knew he could take a thrashing, but when a teacher turned the entire class against him that was a different story. Not even Niko could keep him from getting beaten up that time and he had landed in the infirmary with bruised ribs and a battered ego.

Things had gotten better once spring had arrived. The entire class had been encouraged to spend their afternoons out on the athletic field and Sabastian found that he was good at the various activities. Football was always fun, but it was the track and field that held his interest. Everyone had been encouraged to try their hand in the various events and it seemed like everyone had found them daunting except Sabastian. Staber Arbeit had told everyone that they would be terrible at first, but to keep trying because that was how they became good. Sabastian also watched the upperclassmen practice pole vaulting and it looked like it was a lot of fun. He had told that to Staber Arbeit, and the Drillmaster had said that being an athlete was in his blood because of how his Grandfather had competed in the Olympics. That was something that Sabastian had no clue about until Arbeit had shown him the entries featuring a J.S. Schultz, who represented Germany in 1912 and 1920 in a Sports Almanac. Arbeit had also told him that his class would start taking fencing, wrestling, contact combat lessons next autumn, but he would need to keep his grades up if he wanted to spend time doing sports.

That had caused Sabastian to double down on the events and his classwork. He knew he wasn’t the fastest runner, but there were a lot of things he could be good at instead. Today, he had been practicing at throwing the discus, he could only throw it a few meters, but one day he knew he would throw the one and half kilo disk a kilometer. He was working at that when the bell sounded, calling the students in for supper. He ran back to the dormitory in the old Abby, where he quickly bathed and put on fresh clothes as they were strongly encouraged to do.

“Bas” Niko said in greeting as Sabastian sat down at the table across from him. “I got this for you.”

Niko passed something under the table to Sabastian. Looking down, he saw brightly colored wrapping paper. For the first time in what had seemed like ages, Sabastian realized that this had been a good day.

Last edited:

PNWKing

Banned
We've heard from Volkswagen and BMW, but we haven't heard a peep out of Siemens or Zeiss. We've heard a mention of Intel, but about this time a young team of engineers from Santa Monica is starting a company that might give Intel some competition. Likewise, has HP been mentioned.

We've heard from Volkswagen and BMW, but we haven't heard a peep out of Siemens or Zeiss. We've heard a mention of Intel, but about this time a young team of engineers from Santa Monica is starting a company that might give Intel some competition. Likewise, has HP been mentioned.
Zeiss appeared early in the TL, with Emil’s sister working in a succession of roles creating high quality optical gear. When the late Chancellor Augustus Lang spoke to Emil about Germany‘s covert preparations for war against the Soviets, the penny dropped for Emil when his sister talked about more shifts at the factory to meet the increased orders.

Last edited: