Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Gah, ... I don't have time for a reread right now...
This TL is simply too long to keep everything in mind.

Otherwise, @Rinasoir thanks for the responses. And I hope 2024 treats you well.

Hopefully we could get a actual picture of the situation in Europe regarding the realations between the nations and the various international initiatives to bring the comunity further together.

The main sticking points IOTL between Italy and the Vatican was the issue of payments for the territory and property that the Roman Catholic church lost to Italy during unification.
Italy wanted to give out annual payments to the Vatican, while the Vatican wanted a lump sum so that Italy wouldn't have any potential control over the Vatican, it was Mussolini who forced the government to do the lump sum in favor of the Vatican in order to gain favor with the Church.
So with that in mind, it would be reasonable to think that the Treaty of Lantern would still have happened ITTL but at a later date.

Lol. Yeah a not unsubstantial part of my mental storage goes towards this TL. Which would be fine if I wasn't a finite resource that seems to be depleting these days.
Otherwise, @Rinasoir thanks for the responses. And I hope 2024 treats you well.
And to you as well.
Hopefully we could get a actual picture of the situation in Europe regarding the realations between the nations and the various international initiatives to bring the comunity further together.
I could probably give it a good solid guess except for the parts that are outside of Bulgaria and Hungary in the Balkans. Serbia and Greece are currently states that the rest of Europe should be treating as total Pariahs.
The main sticking points IOTL between Italy and the Vatican was the issue of payments for the territory and property that the Roman Catholic church lost to Italy during unification.
Italy wanted to give out annual payments to the Vatican, while the Vatican wanted a lump sum so that Italy wouldn't have any potential control over the Vatican, it was Mussolini who forced the government to do the lump sum in favor of the Vatican in order to gain favor with the Church.
So with that in mind, it would be reasonable to think that the Treaty of Lantern would still have happened ITTL but at a later date.
Fair points, I'm just going from a very pessimistic viewpoint shall we say.

Lol. Yeah a not unsubstantial part of my mental storage goes towards this TL. Which would be fine if I wasn't a finite resource that seems to be depleting these days.
How d'you think I feel - you guys started this early, I powered through years of updates in a couple of weeks to get caught up when I started reading and semi-regularly commenting XD XD XD

I regularly find myself going 'Wait, what's this - what happened there again...oh right, yeah...'
Fair points, I'm just going from a very pessimistic viewpoint shall we say.
Which is usually the way to go with Ireland and the Church, I admit...

How d'you think I feel - you guys started this early, I powered through years of updates in a couple of weeks to get caught up when I started reading and semi-regularly commenting XD XD XD
I'll have you know I only started haunting the comments section of this story like an Irish Jacob Marley during thread 2 thank you very much. Until then I also had to do the same and start at the beginning, with a hill blowing up that didn't.

Most of the need to memorize the story since then is based around both enjoying it and needing to actively not commit plagiarism when it comes to having a story in a similar location and time (well, used to be a similar time, my updates schedule is a lot slower). And even when I do pilfer things, I at least tend to point it out and send more people this way.
I regularly find myself going 'Wait, what's this - what happened there again...oh right, yeah...'
Lol, there's moments when I have that happen too, just some parts of this story I remember better than others.
Which is usually the way to go with Ireland and the Church, I admit...
Eyup.

Part 153, Chapter 2778
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy-Eight

15th June 1979

Porto Venere, Italy

It seemed that the higherups had told the Italians not to go easy on them. As if the Italians were inclined to do so anyway. They were not the first batch of Sealions to go through the Divers and Raiders School in Porto Venere where the elite “Frogmen” of the Italian Navy were based, so they were not considered particularly special. Erich had heard jokes about the Italian Army for years, how they had the best cooks of any force in the world while their Infantry wasn’t held nearly in as high esteem. No one in their right mind made jokes about the divers though. Being under water already came with a whole host of risks, then to add sabotage and combat operations to it. That took nerves of steel and the sort of insanity that normally landed someone in a padded cell. After series of legendary missions on the Gulf of Finland and Black Sea during the Soviet War, they were widely regarded as being the best in the world.

Erich and his men were supposed to learn from them.

Unfortunately for them, the Italians treated them like any other Recruit Divers and the training was tough. It was there that Erich started to regret the things that the Marine Infantry had said about themselves over the last several decades, how they were already the worst and the Sealions took that to a whole new level. Their Instructors spent a lot of time yelling at them about that and how in their field being bad at their job only resulted in an empty grave while the worms feasted on their bones at the bottom of the sea.

Now after days of intense physical training on top of classroom lectures, they had been given one last piece of advice “Don’t panic, it gets you killed” and were sitting on a repurposed torpedo boat on the Gulf of Spezia. This was quite literally one of those sink or swim sort of situations, the only difference was that sinking was sort of the idea. Feeling the weight of the air tanks on his back, Erich fell backwards into the water. There was a moment of disorientation as he sank towards the bottom only a few meters below the boat with the weighted belt he was wearing counteracting his natural buoyancy. He could see the outline of the wooden hull with the sun above it as he landed on the seabed. Erich had once heard it said that the Wright brothers had tested their first airplane in North Carolina because of the constant wind at Kittyhawk far from the public eye. The advantage of that was they gave themselves a wide margin of error on a broad expanse of sandy beach, as opposed to past inventors who would have gone to the Grand Canyon and invited every news reporter interested in making the trip or something equally preposterous. Having them learn how to do this in relatively shallow water was in keeping with that. If he got into trouble here, there were experienced divers on hand who would take him back up to the boat.

Los Angeles, California

It was hot as Stevie walked up the hill from the bus stop towards his house kicking a rock that skipped ahead of him and rolled into the gutter. Today had been the last day of school before Summer Vacation and while all of his classmates had been in a celebratory mood, Stevie had not been feeling it. He had already learned that he was not going to be back next September. With the baby on the way, his father had taken a promotion in the Army that was going to take them across the country to Fort Meade in Maryland and that would involve living on base. Whatever that meant. Stevie understood that everything they owned was going into the growing stack of cardboard boxes in the garage and that they were planning on leasing the house to Aunt Connie. Next week they would all be getting on an airplane and flying to Washington D.C. while their stuff would be driven across the country by someone else. His mother had said that this was a great opportunity for all of them, Stevie’s consideration was that he had no idea what was in Maryland. When he had asked if it was it anything like Los Angeles, everyone had just laughed.

Then Stevie had made the mistake of asking if he could just stay with Grandma Concha and she had given him a very firm “No” in reply. Children go with their families and he was extremely lucky that he had the next couple months to do whatever he pleased with even if it was on the other side of the country. Then she had given Stevie an earful about how his father had spent the summers working in the fields by necessity when he was his age. Grandma Concha wasn’t in the least bit shy about telling her grandchildren that they could all be a bunch a bunch of spoiled brats when she was in the mood to and she had been the night before. Stevie had very seldom been on the receiving end of that though.

As he neared the house, Stevie saw that his father’s old Dodge, the one the he’d spent months restoring being loaded onto a flatbed truck. Until that moment, the idea of moving had not been a thing. Now it was really for real.

Last edited:
Why didn't Ritchie and Lucia let Bob live in their house while they are on the East Coast?
I am sure that Bob would have taken great care of the house and not let it become a hangout for his less than respectable friends.

Why didn't Ritchie and Lucia let Bob live in their house while they are on the East Coast?
I am sure that Bob would have taken great care of the house and not let it become a hangout for his less than respectable friends.
And we now have a reason for his Abuela to use her La Chancia on him and his group.

Part 153, Chapter 2779
Chapter Two Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy-Nine

23rd June 1979

Neuquén, Argentina

It was cold, clear, and windy as the car was parked on the edge of the taxiway. Kiki had done her best to keep in contact with the members of her family over the prior months, it wasn’t easy though because of the distances involved and how many hours she had been working in the clinic. That was why the arrival of her father came as a complete surprise. She had only found out that he was coming when her father had only been a couple hours away.

The airport west of Neuquén City could be called rustic if you were being charitable, downright primitive if you were not. Built with servicing the local industry and the needs of the Argentine Airforce in mind, comfort had been the last thing on anyone’s mind. There was talk of building a modern terminal building. Like everything else in Neuquén as Kiki had discovered, it was something that had been pushed off into the future and presumably better days. The needs of the community could easily have changed by then and new plans would need to be made, leading to further delays. The concrete airstrip with airplanes, mostly locally produced versions of Junkers Civil Aircraft from the last forty or so years, parked along the taxiway.

Kiki recognized the plane that landed as one of the twin-engine turboprops that was favored by the organizations her father financed. As far as she knew, no one in Argentina had managed to obtain a license to construct the Feisler Kranich yet. Though if her father continued to operate the planes in the Southern Cone, it was only a matter of time.

It seemed to Kiki that her father was enjoying retirement far more than he ever had when he had been Emperor. He was playing the role of activist and philanthropist without having to answer to anyone or make any of the life and death decisions that Kiki knew haunted him. He had involved himself in the arts, mostly in the form of Classical Music, and had been one of the earliest backers of Médecins sans Frontières. Kiki understood full well that in Germany there had only been two Emeritus Emperors, Wilhelm the 2nd and his grandson, Kiki’s father. Decades after his abrupt retirement, most historians were of the opinion that Wilhelm the 2nd had not been a great Emperor and his successor Wilhelm the 3rd had had absolutely no business playing that role. The death of Kiki’s uncle in the Spanish War had prevented there from being a Wilhelm the 4th and the fact that no boy in the House of Hohenzollern born after that had been named Wilhelm spoke for itself. Louis Ferdinand had assumed the role of designated Heir at that point, just in time to lead the Empire through the Second World War and in the turmoil that followed. It was small wonder why he would be happy to be free of that sort of responsibility.

As the plane taxied to a stop and the engines shut down, Kiki opened the door to the car followed by Nina and Lutz. Making sure that her children kept a hold of her hands, she waited for what would be a happy reunion. When the ramp on the Kranich dropped Kiki saw it was not her father, but Kiki’s youngest sister Annet who emerged.

“So this is Patagonia?” Nan asked with a smile.

“A small part of it” Kiki replied.

Nan seemed like she was well to Kiki; far happier than how she was most of the time. The grey insulated coveralls and aviator sunglasses were what Nan was most comfortable wearing. Possibly the least fashionable clothes on the planet, right up there with the white lab coat that Kiki wore when she was at work. A few other people were walking down the ramp on unsteady legs. A long flight in a Kranich with Nan at the controls was not for the faint of heart, not because she took risks but because she knew exactly what the plane was capable of and exploited that to the fullest extent.

“Poppa said that he thought that you needed help” Nan said, “So he found some volunteers interested in coming here along with the supplies he thinks you might find useful.”

This was unexpected. Kiki was sure that her father would give her the specifics when he got a chance. That was when Kiki’s father walked down the ramp and was nearly pulled off her feet by Nina and Lutz. Letting go of their hands, Kiki saw them run to her father with cries of “Opa!”

Oakland, California

Ritchie was sitting in California’s infamous traffic while on his way back to the airport so that he could go back to his family for a few days before getting on another airplane. He had felt obligated to attend what had happened early that morning in San Quentin State Prison. Ritchie had been a Soldier or a Police Officer for his entire adult life. Though the United States had not been officially at war for that whole time, he had still seen death in many forms. Accidents happened and as an Advisor to allied militaries, there had been the results of direct enemy action. The night before had been different though. Watching a man choak to death in a steel chamber filled with hydrogen cyanide gas had not been pleasant to watch.

Dickie Scott had been a sociopath who had killed without the slightest bit of remorse and as they had led him into the chamber the night before, Ritchie had seen the look on his face and realized that nothing had changed. This was still the same guy who had shot up the school that had expelled him leaving dozens killed and wounded. Ritchie had been one of the first Officers on the scene and had put three rifle bullets into him from only a few yards away. Oddly he had been criticized for not doing a better job of it. The truth was that some people got very lucky sometimes, three bullets not hitting anything immediately vital was exactly that. Dickie’s luck had finally run out as the appeals process had been pursued down several dead ends and the date of his execution just happened to come down at a time when Pat Brown, the Governor of California, was expecting a strong challenge the next time he was up for reelection.

Ritchie had watched it all. The guards had dragged Dickie in, strapped him into the chair before closing the heavy steel door. The Warden had read a short statement, detailing the multitude of crimes that Dickie had been convicted of, how with the State having deemed him beyond the possibility of rehabilitation it was hoped that the sentence would deter others from following the path he had gone down.

The whole thing had left Ritchie feeling hollow. How many times had he heard other Officers saying that someone deserved to fry? They probably thought that justice had been done. All Ritchie could think of was about how it had not brought back any of Dickie’s victims.

Last edited:
Dickie’s luck had finally run out as the appeals process had been pursued down several dead ends and the date of his execution just happened to come down at a time when Pat Brown, the Governor of California, was expecting a strong challenge the next time he was up for reelection.
hmmmm.
Granted, talking about the next election for Governor, but nonetheless, someone is trying to look strong on crime for 1980.

Ritchie and Lucia are going to be in for a cultural shock when they get to Ft. Meade as the last time Ritchie lived on post was when he was a single NCO living in the barracks, and with him being a reservist, Lucia was never in a military community.
They should be getting a nice house, four bedrooms, and at least 2 1/2 bath that is in a suburban like neighborhood with a really strict HOA.
Lucia is going to find out that her social standing is tied to Ritchie's rank and that she is "Mrs. CW2 Valenzuela" and not Lucia.
With her current pregnancy, Lucia is going to be introduced to the world of Military Medicine where she is going to find out if the Hospital at Ft, Meade can accommodate her, or if she has to go to the "outside" and find a doctor and hospital that will take CHAMPUS (Civilian Health and Medical Program for the Uniformed Services) which many doctors and hospitals refused to take as it was very hard to get approval for services and payments.
There are many upsides like the PX and Commissary because of the number of Flag Officers in the area being well stocked with various items and goods at a lower price then at civilian stores and supermarkets, Friday and Saturday nights at the Officer Club for a nice dinner and social interaction with other couples.
Also, by now Ritchie's reputation as both a Special Forces soldier and his time in the LAPD should be reaching Ft. Meade, and he should be getting a lot of curiosity from a lot of different sections of the post.

Lucia will have access to Walter Reed/Bethesda Naval since she is in the Military district of Washington. Ft. Meade has clinics but for pregnancy she will have basically the same care that anyone stationed at the Pentagon/National Command structure has. Really Really Really good medicine, remember they take care of congress and the President.

Lucia will have access to Walter Reed/Bethesda Naval since she is in the Military district of Washington. Ft. Meade has clinics but for pregnancy she will have basically the same care that anyone stationed at the Pentagon/National Command structure has. Really Really Really good medicine, remember they take care of congress and the President.
Bethesda and Walter Reed are at least 45 minutes away, but your point of how good the medical care is at them is spot on.
BTW a great person was born at Bethesda Naval Hospital some years ago *s*.

They have Medivac flights there for military. She would go to the on-post clinic, and they would fly her out to one of them if needed.
Not really, my sisters who are (surprise) twins were born at a civilian hospital when my dad was off the coast of Vietnam during the '60 on the USS Oriskany because there were no slots open for my mother at Balboa Naval Hospital.
For Lucia and Ritchie, it all depends on what is available and close by, and if that is civilian care then that is what it is going to be.
But the point that Medivac flights are going to be available is correct.