Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

I wonder who in the Bavarian Air Force is going to get their arse kicked when the Princess Royal realises her husband was allowed to fly a dangerous low-level ground attack mission, rather than flying top cover. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as Kiki tears strips off her brother-in-law Albrecht.
This was an exercise testing SEAD/DEAD tactics, so there was no top cover because that would have interfered. Kiki will not be happy when she learns of this, obviously. Finally, Albrecht is the father of Kiki's brother-in-law Franz, the Crown Prince of Bavaria.

Last edited:

LinkedTortoise

Monthly Donor
I wonder who in the Bavarian Air Force is going to get their arse kicked when the Princess Royal realises her husband was allowed to fly a dangerous low-level ground attack mission, rather than flying top cover. Would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as Kiki tears strips off her brother-in-law Albrecht.
It's only dangerous in that it could wound Ben's pride or his plane could crash. Neither the SAM nor Ben's plane had actual weapons so Kiki's response is going to be more annoyed at Ben for doing dangerous stunts if she is even annoyed.

He didn’t see it, but the drogue chutes on them deployed. That was not to stop them from falling, but to give the plane enough time to escape the blast radius.
How big is the yield on the AS500 that they need a drogue chute? Are they actually nukes with concrete instead of the boomy bit in this case?

It's only dangerous in that it could wound Ben's pride or his plane could crash. Neither the SAM nor Ben's plane had actual weapons so Kiki's response is going to be more annoyed at Ben for doing dangerous stunts if she is even annoyed.
For all intents & purposes, the mission profile was as close to the real thing as possible. Given that flying training accidents happen a fair bit in low-level ground attack mission, Kiki would be ropeable. Expect a reaction similar to what happened when she was in the helo that rescued Ben & Wim after they were shot down in Korea.

Hans "The General" von Mischner, "The Voice of the Fan" has expressed his dislike of the kind of football that was just played in the second timeline during the 1954 World Cup.
If I remember correctly, in the '70s a lot of the stadiums in Europe are run down with standing only areas that would lead to injuries and death due to crushing by the fans who are panicking.

I liked how King Albrecht of Bavaria is relying more on Ben lately, first as his Science Advisor and now with the Bavarian Landwehr Luftwaffe as a consultant.
I wonder if King Albrecht wants to keep Ben around as his "Pet Ace" along with having Kiki in tow for some additional prestige.

How big is the yield on the AS500 that they need a drogue chute? Are they actually nukes with concrete instead of the boomy bit in this case?
The AS500 is a 500 kilogram general purpose dumb bomb, an update of the WW2 era SC500. Even that can damage a low flying aircraft, so a "high drag" component is needed.

The AS500 is a 500 kilogram general purpose dumb bomb, an update of the WW2 era SC500. Even that can damage a low flying aircraft, so a "high drag" component is needed.
If you don't have the "high drag" component, the released bomd (low drag), will stay in formation with you a long time. It will drop to the ground because of gravity and not having lift, but it speed loss will be minimal, hence the speed brakes

Part 140, Chapter 2413
Chapter Two Thousand Four Hundred Thirteen

7th November 1975

Balderschwang, Bavaria

There were times when having a high-ranking Medical Officer and the Princess Royal of Germany for a wife was a serious disadvantage. Ben had discovered this again and again as there was very little information that Kiki didn’t have ready access to. That was how she had found out that he had been pulled into King Albrecht of Bavaria’s inner circle and the UZfLv program. As far as Ben knew, meant the same thing as the name of the American program, Suppression and Destruction of Enemy Air Defenses. Of course, the Americans called their program SEAD dropping the first D. Almost every pilot Ben that knew was superstitious to a degree and would likely avoid anything called S/DEAD as if were the plague. They also referred to the aircraft modified for the mission as Wild Weasel, whatever that meant.

When Kiki found out that Ben had actively involved himself in the project, even flying some of the mock attacks where he could demonstrate to the members of Jasta 23 the tactics which had worked in Argentina she was decidedly unhappy because she had thought that he had gotten past what she called taking stupid chances.

That might have been the end of it, except Doctor Ernesto Guevara who had walked with Kiki across much of South America when they had been trapped behind the lines during the Patagonian War, had been doing a speaking tour after the book about the experience had become a Global bestseller. He had mentioned the incident where he and Kiki had been trying to charter an airplane to fly them to somewhere friendlier than Santiago. Only to watch as the airport had been blown to smithereens right in front of them. He had Kiki sitting in a taxicab laughing hysterically and saying that she was cursed. Evidently, Ernesto had compared his notes and discovered the identity of the fighter-bomber Squadron that had blown up the flightline of the Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport, Schlasta 5, an element of SKG 18, and Ben himself had been leading the flight. It was a sobering thought that he had only narrowly missed killing his wife, who had been pregnant with their daughter. Considering why he had volunteered to go to South America in the first place, to look for Kiki if he got the chance after she had gone missing, that whole situation had almost taken on the bleakest kind of irony. If Kiki and Ernesto had been just a few minutes earlier getting to the airport or the Jabos had arrived a few minutes later…

It was about that point when Ben decided that he should probably not fly practice missions for the foreseeable future. Besides that, he had made his point with Jasta 23. What remained was finding the solutions to the problems that he had identified. That was what had prompted him to put a call into Wilhelm Falke, better known to the world as Wim. No one knew as much about the systems and tactics used to defeat air defenses as Wim did. Ben had certainly heard him complaining about those things often enough. What would Wim do now that they were in a position to offer solutions?

Montreal, Canada

It had not been Marie Alexandra’s intention to replace Cheshire, but she had always had a cat or a dog. First Fleur, who had been a shockingly tolerant participant in Marie’s games though she would never have done anything to hurt the terrier mix who had been her childhood companion. There was of course Cheshire, the big moggie who Marie had acquired as a kitten. He later became just as much Sophie and Angelica’s cat as Marie’s. Marie also liked Sophie’s puppy Sprocket.

Earlier that year just after she had returned from Germany, Marie had found stray tuxedo tomcat haunting her grandparent’s garden and decided to see if she could win him over. It had been a slow process, but she had earned his trust. Figuring out a good name for him had taken longer. Eventually Marie had settled on the name Porthos, from the Three Musketeers, which was perfect. In the books and movies, Porthos was a big, strong, boisterous extravert. Which described Porthos the cat during his better turns.

As autumn was turning into winter, Marie arranged for Porthos to occupy the basement. Whatever objections Oma Blackwood might have had vanished along with the mice that had infested that part of the house. Porthos seemed particularly satisfied and less interested in the food Marie left in his bowl.

“There is a letter from a legal firm in Ireland, that is odd” Oma Blackwood said as Marie entered the kitchen from the basement. The cook was in the final stages of preparing dinner and Oma was “supervising” though Marie couldn’t imagine her actually cooking anything more complicated than tea or toast. “You are not in some sort of trouble? I know that your mother plays fast and loose with the law at times. I would hate for you to get drawn into that.”

“No” Marie replied, as she saw the stack of the day’s mail. Out of long practice, Oma and Opa’s mail was opened by the household staff. Marie had felt that it was a violation of her own privacy at first until she found out that it hadn’t been done on purpose. Seeing the letter, Marie saw that Jack must have had it written largely in Irish. “I did some work for Jack Kennedy, one of the firm’s partners, as a Translator last July.”

“And that is why he is sending you letters written in gibberish?”

Marie almost said that it was an offer relating to how the entire world was coming to Montreal next summer and he was making a generous offer for her services as a translator. It was too bad for him that she was making other plans.

Last edited:
No” Marie replied, as she saw the stack of the day’s mail. Out of long practice, Oma and Opa’s mail was opened by the household staff. Marie had felt that it was a violation of her own privacy at first until she found out that it hadn’t been done on purpose. Seeing the letter, Marie saw that Jack must have had it written entirely largely Irish. “I did some work for Jack Kennedy, one of the firm’s partners, as a Translator last July.”

“And that is why he is sending you letters written in gibberish?”
Is it written in irish-Gaelic? Decent enough gibberish for margot to not be able to read or understand...

You are not in some sort of trouble? I know that your mother plays fast and loose with the law at times. I would hate for you to get drawn into that.”
Please don't be like your mother...
....ve more like me.

How’s Kat handling the declassification of those files?

Also, does that declassification mean that Jacob Schmidt’s autobiography can already be published?

Also, does that declassification mean that Jacob Schmidt’s autobiography can already be published?
That would be a very fun one depending on the contents.
The problem may be that although the technology will have moved on significantly from his day, some of the underlying methods or techniques won't have, and that could be enough to see his autobiography shelved until 32nd of Octember two thousand and never.

Oh Ben, oh Ben, oh Ben. Stupid Luck and Happenstance rears its head again with a reminder of what might have been at Santiago. Hope he's got a comfy sofa bed in his study or at his office. The whole schemozzle of being busted flying fast and low through the Bavarian valleys and then the Santiago incident will take some time to live down.
Good to see Wim back in the picture though.

I know that our esteemed author likes to throw logical curveballs at his readers expectations, but I still think that Marie is going find out that instead of her making plans, plans are being made for her.
First off Marie has a growing reputation among those in the know about her talents for languages and dump trucks full of money are going to show up at her grandparents’ front yard for her services.
Second with Sebastian Schultz and Sophie making the German Olympics Team, both Kat and Nancy would be more than reassured of having Marie keeping an eye out on them.
Third Marie has a powerful patron in Kaserine Suga and no doubt that Suga would want Marie to either use Marie’s services for her self or “loan” her out to I don’t know, the Queen of Canada or other high ranking people.

It has been posted before that Ben has basically hit a ceiling with his unit in Berlin and King Albrecht of Bavaria may make some sort of inducement of higher ranking to keep him in Bavaria including tenure at the University of Munich.