Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Part 105, Chapter 1699
Chapter One Thousand Six Hundred Ninety-Nine

1st November 1965

Heuberg, Württemberg

It had been twelve weeks that had seemed to grind on forever. Then just like that, they were over. The Instructors had hardly let up on them though, the final task had been to have the barracks cleaned for white glove inspection so that it would be ready for the next training cadre, whenever it arrived. They had gotten their orders ahead of leaving that afternoon and to Manfred’s surprise he was going to remain in Heuberg to receive advanced training in Advanced Radio Operation, Observation and Field Studies, whatever that meant. That sounded good but didn’t seem to mean a whole lot. Manfred had thought that he was going to Wunsdorf to be trained as a Platoon Leader. Instead he had been pulled aside by an Oberstlieutenant who he had seen at a distance before and told that his Uncle Stefan had recommended him for something a bit more interesting. It had turned out that the Instructors had been keeping careful track of everything that he had been doing over the course of training and they had reached some rather surprising conclusions.

It was hardly a surprise that they had noticed that he was an athlete and that he was tall, making him ill-suited for service in most armored vehicles. However, they also threw around terms that gauged his ability as a leader, how he handled adversity and if he could think for himself. Apparently, he inspired loyalty. It was a shock to him just how contrived everything that had happened to him over the course of basic training had been, but he could practically hear his father’s warnings about how the Heer really worked as he walked away from the meeting with the Oberstlieutenant. He had been told that he was being given the opportunity to be the part of something new and that it was up to him to make the most of it. It had been when the Oberstlieutenant had shook his hand that Manfred noticed that he was wearing a familiar patch on the sleeve of his uniform, a cat leaping through flames. Meaning that the Oberstlieutenant had come from the 28th Independent Fallschirmjäger Regiment of the KSK. Just what was someone like that doing recruiting among the Panzer Dragoons?

Walking into the barracks, Manfred could smell the chemicals that had been used to clean the barracks and found Christian sitting on a chair with his usual vague smile. Christian was getting sent to the Quarter Master’s Battalion of a Division in Posen which meant that he would drive a lorry as planned and that Manfred would finally be free of him. He might be staying at Heuberg, but he would still need to collect his things to move to a different barracks.

“I heard about what you got Manny” Christian said, “Or should I call you Sir.”

Though Manfred had not said anything, word had gotten around that he would be promoted to Fahnenjunker upon completing basic training. Despite him finding himself doing punishment details with the others, it had still thrown up a wall between them.

“Whatever” Manfred replied, “You ought to be leaving for Posen, right?”

“Actually, no” Christian said, “After you left an Oberfeld came through and asked if we wanted to volunteer for the same thing you got. The other guys said that the first rule of being in the Army is to never volunteer, but someone needs to watch your back.”

Inspires loyalty, Manfred thought sourly to himself, somewhat misguided in this case. Somewhere nearby someone was probably laughing their heads off at how things had panned out and not for the first time he wondered exactly what his Uncle had gotten him into.

Moscow

To my dearest and most beloved Sister

I hope that this letter finds you well and that your recently concluded journey was without incident. Heinrich is doing well, and I so look forward to seeing you and my Godson at Christmas time. Our children are too young to appreciate how they truly are cousins, but I hope they will be instant friends…

Gia read on through the letter that Asia had sent. While Asia had gotten over their breakup ages ago, she still liked to needle Gia about it in the letters that she sent. To anyone else who read it, they see nothing untoward, but Gia understood the frequent double meanings that Asia employed and could read between the lines. The relationship between them had been the first time in Gia’s life when she had first understood that matters like that were far larger than just herself and the need to keep it solely between them. She loved Fyodor just as much as she had loved Asia but had never mentioned it to him, Gia didn’t know if he would understand. As it was, he seemed to see what he wanted, that Gia had a deep familial bond with Asia. They had also realized that Alexei and Heinrich truly were cousins in that they both had the same Great Grandfather. It truly was their hope that the two boys would be like brothers growing up. Reading down the letter, a paragraph caught Gia’s eye.

I had your cousin Vicky come to me for advice, she is such a dear girl and she fears that she will never be able to find love because of her social rank. I told her that she should give it time and that there was no one way to live her life. She would just have to muddle through like everyone else. I wish that I had more offer her than that.

That was a bit of a surprise.

Last edited:
Helene will be pissed.

They had gotten their orders ahead of leaving that afternoon and to Manfred’s surprise he was going to remain in Heuberg to receive advanced training in Advanced Radio Operation, Observation and Field Studies, whatever that meant. That sounded good but didn’t seem to mean a whole lot. Manfred had thought that he was going to Wunsdorf to be trained as a Platoon Leader. Instead he had been pulled aside by an Oberstlieutenant who he had seen at a distance before and told that his Uncle Stefan had recommended him for something a bit more interesting. It had turned out that the Instructors had been keeping careful track of everything that he had been doing over the course of training and they had reached some rather surprising conclusions.

I foresee a phone conversation along the lines of:
Hans: "Radio operator, Stefan! Radio. Operator. Or artillery plotter. Not KSK!"
Stefan: "But that's what I recommended Hans! Communications or Artillery! Heuberg must have seen something during training."
Hans: "Helene is going to kill me."

He had been told that he was being given the opportunity to be the part of something new and that it was up to him to make the most of it. It had been when the Oberstlieutenant had shook his hand that Manfred noticed that he was wearing a familiar patch on the sleeve of his uniform, a cat leaping through flames. Meaning that the Oberst had come from the 28th Independent Fallschirmjäger Regiment of the KSK. Just what was someone like that doing recruiting among the Panzer Dragoons?

Sounds like the KSK is forming something like the OTL British Special Reconnaissance Regiment. Helene might even yell at Kat. And it looks Manfred passed his field test & interview without even realising it was one.

Somewhere nearby someone was probably laughing their heads off at how things had panned out and not for the first time he wondered exactly what his Uncle had gotten him into.

"Men make plans; God laughs", "The best laid plans of Mice & Men gang aft aglay", The Demon Murphy and. of course, stupid luck & happenstance strike again.

I wonder if Manfred realises that he is now within his Auntie's clutches ?

Last edited:
I know he was going to need to salute Kat, wasn't quite sure it would be in this context...
While he certainly knows about Kat's rank & achievements, to him she is his aunt; this probably never entered his head as a possibility. I also don't think he quite realises just what Kat means to the Heer in general and the KSK specifically. He is about to discover that his Aunt Kat is (not-so-secretly) regarded by them to be the Chosen Champion of the Goddess of War. And an Agent of Satan, Chaos & Destruction by oh so many more...

Last edited:
Part 105, Chapter 1700
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred

27th November 1965

Kiel

Kiki picked up the phone on the third ring. When SK-12 had returned to Kiel earlier that evening and in the hours since, he had been unable to sort his thoughts. He had realized that his older sister might be one of the few people who would understand where he was coming from.

“Ever had a monumentally bad day Kristina?” Louis asked when Kiki had asked why he had called.

“Exactly how bad” Kiki asked in reply.

“Bad” Louis said in an exasperated tone…

----------------------------------------------------------------

The wipers could hardly keep up with the spray that was hitting the windscreen. As SK-12 fought her way forward eastward through the storm at the best possible speed. It was fortunate that the bridge was enclosed, in the earlier torpedo boats the bridge was open and that would have made for a miserable day. They had been riding out the storm in port when they had ordered out to a trawler that was in distress and needed immediate aid. Dispatch in Kiel had not been able to give them much, just something about damage from the storm and an internal fire. It had already sounded like a mess before they had even left the harbor.

As they neared the map coordinates, there was a worrisome lack of radar contact and an orange glow on the horizon. Despite the icy rain and high seas, they only found a slick of burning fuel oil. No wreckage or any other evidence of the trawler. Louis had put all of that into his report, they must have missed the trawler’s sinking by minutes. When Louis had submitted his report of the incident the Flotilla Captain had made him revise his report, leaving his conclusions out of it. “Just keep to the facts as you found them Oberlieutenant von Preussen, nothing more” Was how he had termed it.

Kiki had listened silently as Louis told that story.

“That’s what happened” Louis said.

“How fast can your boat go?” Kiki asked.

“Eighty-five kilometers per hour” Louis answered, “In good conditions.”

“Was this morning what you would call good conditions?” Kiki asked.

“Hardly, but still…” Louis started to say.

“One of the first things that I was taught when I joined the Medical Service was that despite our best efforts, we will still lose people” Kiki said, cutting Louis off.

“I understand that” Louis said, “I was told something similar in the Naval Academy. To lose an entire ship’s crew though.”

“It’s bad, you are right about that” Kiki replied, “I know all about how that feels and don’t miss it.”

It was something that Kiki didn’t talk a whole lot about, not to Louis anyway. He had gotten a taste of what she must have gone through every single day in the FSR. It was hardly a wonder that she said she was happier as a student.

“Are you still thinking about bringing Rauchbier to Kiel before Christmas?” Louis asked changing the subject. Kiki wasn’t letting him off the hook though.

“I’m not telling you to get used to it” Kiki said, “But everyone gets to tear off a black tag, sooner or later. It has to be done to save lives.”

The practice of triage was well understood. Too much effort expended on a hopeless case might expend resources that were better used elsewhere. The black tag meant that a judgement had been rendered. Louis could only imagine how much having to make a call like that must have hurt for someone like Kiki. And as it had turned out, he wasn’t as different as he might have thought.

Heuberg, Württemberg

Reading the letter that had just arrived, Manfred caught up on what was going on with Suse Rosa, his quasi girlfriend. One day they would need to hash out where they really stood with each other, but until then it was a good way to learn what was going on at home. His parents had been trying to put a happy face on things whenever Manfred had contacted them. Suse’s letters told a different story.

It had turned out that Manfred’s mother was furious about what had happened. Suse had said in her letter that Kat along with Manfred’s parents had been arguing about the matter in the office that Manfred’s Aunt maintained in that house with the door closed. While Suse had not been able to hear what they had been talking about, it had been heated from the sound of it. When Manfred considered what he had been doing for the last few weeks, it was hard to figure what they were all so worked up about. Unless they knew something that he didn’t, which was always a possibility.

As for Suse, she had learned that there was a good chance that she would be starting at the Berlin Technical University to study Mechanical Engineering next year. It was odd, for Suse it was her second choice, yet Manfred was aware of a lot of people who would give anything for an opportunity like that. It was perfect for her as well and in Manfred’s thinking it would probably be a lot more exciting than what he had been doing.

Every morning there was morning roll call and announcements. That was followed by breakfast, then hours of lecture and labs involving the newest radios and encoding devices that the Heer was fielding. Finally, midday they had lunch, then came a few hours of what had been dubbed team building exercises, mostly in the form of more drill instruction but also practical lessons in woodcraft and small unit tactics. Finally, late in the afternoon they were free to do whatever they wanted. The first week, Manfred had wandered around the small town that stood outside the barracks within the Heuberg Training Area, until he had realized that there wasn’t a whole lot to do there. Since then he had just been using that time to catch up on his sleep.

Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred

27th November 1965

Kiel

Kiki picked up the phone on the third ring. When SK-12 had returned to Kiel earlier that evening and in the hours since, he had been unable to sort his thoughts. He had realized that his older sister might be one of the few people who would understand where he was coming from.

“Ever had a monumentally bad day Kristina?” Louis asked when Kiki had asked why he had called.

“Exactly how bad” Kiki asked in reply.

“Bad” Louis said in an exasperated tone…

The wipers could hardly keep up with the spray that was hitting the windscreen. As SK-12 fought her way forward eastward through the storm at the best possible speed. It was fortunate that the bridge was enclosed, in the earlier torpedo boats the bridge was open and that would have made for a miserable day. They had been riding out the storm in port when they had ordered out to a trawler that was in distress and needed immediate aid. Dispatch in Kiel had not been able to give them much, just something about damage from the storm and an internal fire. It had already sounded like a mess before they had even left the harbor.

As they neared the map coordinates, there was a worrisome lack of radar contact and an orange glow on the horizon. Despite the icy rain and high seas, they only found a slick of burning fuel oil. No wreckage or any other evidence of the trawler. Louis had put all of that into his report, they must have missed the trawler’s sinking by minutes. When Louis had submitted his report of the incident the Flotilla Captain had made him revise his report, leaving his conclusions out of it. “Just keep to the facts as you found them Oberlieutenant von Preussen, nothing more” Was how he had termed it.

Kiki had listened silently as Louis told that story.

“That’s what happened” Louis said.

“How fast can your boat go?” Kiki asked.

“Eighty-five kilometers per hour” Louis answered, “In good conditions.”

“Was this morning what you would call good conditions?” Kiki asked.

“Hardly, but still…” Louis started to say.

“One of the first things that I was taught when I joined the Medical Service was that despite our best efforts, we will still lose people” Kiki said, cutting Louis off.

“I understand that” Louis said, “I was told something similar in the Naval Academy. To lose an entire ship’s crew though.”

“It’s bad, you are right about that” Kiki replied, “I know all about how that feels and don’t miss it.”

It was something that Kiki didn’t talk a whole lot about, not to Louis anyway. He had gotten a taste of what she must have gone through every single day in the FSR. It was hardly a wonder that she said she was happier as a student.

“Are you still thinking about bringing Rauchbier to Kiel before Christmas?” Louis asked changing the subject. Kiki wasn’t letting him off the hook though.

“I’m not telling you to get used to it” Kiki said, “But everyone gets to tear off a black tag, sooner or later. It has to be done to save lives.”

The practice of triage was well understood. Too much effort expended on a hopeless case might expend resources that were better used elsewhere. The black tag meant that a judgement had been rendered. Louis could only imagine how much having to make a call like that must have hurt for someone like Kiki. And as it had turned out, he wasn’t as different as he might have thought.

Heuberg, Württemberg

Reading the letter that had just arrived, Manfred caught up on what was going on with Suse Rosa, his quasi girlfriend. One day they would need to hash out where they really stood with each other, but until then it was a good way to learn what was going on at home. His parents had been trying to put a happy face on things whenever Manfred had contacted them. Suse’s letters told a different story.

It had turned out that Manfred’s mother was furious about what had happened. Suse had said in her letter that Kat along with Manfred’s parents had been arguing about the matter in the office that Manfred’s Aunt maintained in that house with the door closed. While Suse had not been able to hear what they had been talking about, it had been heated from the sound of it. When Manfred considered what he had been doing for the last few weeks, it was hard to figure what they were all so worked up about. Unless they knew something that he didn’t, which was always a possibility.

As for Suse, she had learned that there was a good chance that she would be starting at the Berlin Technical University to study Mechanical Engineering next year. It was odd, for Suse it was her second choice, yet Manfred was aware of a lot of people who would give anything for an opportunity like that. It was perfect for her as well and in Manfred’s thinking it would probably be a lot more exciting than what he had been doing.

Every morning there was morning roll call and announcements. That was followed by breakfast, then hours of lecture and labs involving the newest radios and encoding devices that the Heer was fielding. Finally, midday they had lunch, then came a few hours of what had been dubbed team building exercises, mostly in the form of more drill instruction but also practical lessons in woodcraft and small unit tactics. Finally, late in the afternoon they were free to do whatever they wanted. The first week, Manfred had wandered around the small town that stood outside the barracks within the Heuberg Training Area, until he had realized that there wasn’t a whole lot to do there. Since then he had just been using that time to catch up on his sleep.
Kat is just round one with Manfred’s parents, Uncle Stefan’s turn is next. Remember he put the fixin for him for something other than combat arms.

I am trying to imagine what it must be like for Hans right now.
Whatever arguments they are having with Kat are nothing compared with what Helene is having with him.

I have always thought that Helene was part of the "Traditional" wing of the Green Party which includes a strong National Security position, but after seeing her husband Hans being deployed to South Africa, Mexico, and Korea it would be very understandable that she wouldn't want her son to join the service.
Unfortunately for her being part of the service is very much THE family "Business" as her father, husband, sister-in-law/best friend, brother-in-law. and herself all were in the military and with the exception of herself all of them have made themselves very successful careers for themselves. so it should be no surprise to anyone much less herself that her son also wanted to join the military.
As I have pointed out before Manfred von Mischner is probably the first of his generation of the offspring of The New Junker class to join the military.

Louis Jr. just got a timely reminder that the Sea is a cruel mistress. One who demands the utmost respect from all those who venture upon (or below) her and even then She will still try to kill you. That said, he and his crew were lucky to find the site of the sinking; far too many have just disappeared without trace.

Called it. Helene WAS pissed enough to let rip at both Hans AND Kat. Even though she knows there are limits to what they can do. Mama Bear mode, you know?

As for Suse, she had learned that there was a good chance that she would be starting at the Berlin Technical University to study Mechanical Engineering next year.

Suse Rosa: If I can't COMMAND a panzer, then I will damn well BUILD the panzers!!

* (Even Otto. He damned well knew she wasn't really a relative & kept quiet. He also made damn sure no NKVD/KGB 'wet work' agent in Berlin ever lasted long enough to get near Kat or hers)
Mobsters have a funny habit of being rough on Communist agents (at least back in the day).
Damned Sainted if she does, sainted if she doesn't.
To be fair there are worse names to be called.
... and with the exception of herself all of them have made themselves very successful careers for themselves
Be that as it may, you can bet some flyboy is going to go on and on about The Fat Angelic Cat Lady of Berlin Air Defence till the grandchildren got sick and tired, and then that will all go into a memoir-turned-blockbuster.
Called it. Helene WAS pissed enough to let rip at both Hans AND Kat. Even though she knows there are limits to what they can do. Mama Bear mode, you know?
If anything I'm even more scared of Stefan now.
Suse Rosa: If I can't COMMAND a panzer, then I will damn well BUILD the panzers!!
It's not too late for her to get into piloting gunships.

Marc A

When the instructor goes back to a regular unit, he knows he's likely to come across Manny again as a junior officer, so having a junior officer that can think for themselves to the benefit of his men without compromising any mission they're on or his own integrity is a hugely important thing.
I don't know how things stand ITTL (or in the German army post-WWII), but Germany trained officers differently than the US.
An officer candidate would have had a rank like Fahnenjunker (an NCO-equivalent, but with less, if any, 'power') and do a period of service as such to learn the trade from a grass roots level.
Afterwards, they went to the Academy where they learn the tools of their trade (as in, tactics, logistics, strategy, specialized information, etc.), before being re-released into the wild.
The US method is different, the officer programme is more PT heavy than the German equivalent, and the resulting 'green' officers are the basis of the "2nd lieutenant with a map" jokes.

Last edited: