Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

And I think that Tilo is going to drop an anonymous dime on Dillenger and make look like it was Nancy who found out about him so that Nancy can get back in the good graces of the American government.
Unless Nancy shows up with the jewels of Germany's nuclear research crown, Nancy won't be taken back into working for the Government, unless the leadership changes completely, and even then she will be regarded with suspicion by her colleagues. It wouldn't be a pleasant working environment. Also, she's not restricted from entering the US, it's just that she'd very probably kept under surveillance every step of the way. Lastly, revealing Dillinger may get her a pat on the head from the FBI, but her problems were with the OSS/CIA/NSA (I forgot which). It won't improve her standing too much anyway, especially as most any competent secret services would suspect her of being an attempt from the German Intelligence to re-insert a mole, offering an no longer useful, more-or-less disposable asset in exchange.
Not to mention, for a military officer selling out a person hidden and protected by his own nation to a rival one to get an in with a potential love interest, even 'anonymously' is not generally considered a smart idea.

While Tilo is smart, whoever said that Tilo had that much common sense?
Tilo just wants to get back at his father and hurt him, damn the consequences.
Nancy will get more than a pat on the head in more ways than we think, as this will expose the fact that German Intelligence has harbored a cop killing escapee for all these years and that will make the American people really mad.

I think after all these years it will not be that big of a deal. After all he has been considered dead for what the last 30 years or so.

As pissed as Tilo is, he's not going to use Dillenger to get back at his father and neither is Nancy likely to use Dillenger to get back in the good books of the US government. Both would be massively counter productive and dumb moves.

Kat and Nancy will be fine once the bruises go down, although Nancy will find a way to get her own back; the Grafin edition of the Föhn for example.
Tilo is also smarter than his father gives him credit for, however, Tilo's problems are with Kat and his feelings towards Nancy, if anything, getting at his father would more likely put him in Kat's good books than bad.

This should play out quite calmly, although I could see GM becoming less popular around those in the 10th MTN if Nancy tells her little brother about what happened...

While Tilo is smart, whoever said that Tilo had that much common sense?
Tilo just wants to get back at his father and hurt him, damn the consequences.
Nancy will get more than a pat on the head in more ways than we think, as this will expose the fact that German Intelligence has harbored a cop killing escapee for all these years and that will make the American people really mad.
I think after all these years it will not be that big of a deal. After all he has been considered dead for what the last 30 years or so.
It's not Dillinger in particular, it's what he represents.
Exactly, he's an US criminal, and Germany hid him fully knowing that, a fact which, like you said, would sour Germany's image in the US public's eye. Also, other potential defectors, agents and sources might be dissuaded if they don't feel that the German agencies can protect them, making German Intelligence operation harder across the board. It will also cool relations between Washington and Berlin at the precisely wrong time, not to mention it will give credence to the Kraut Scare backers (which were actually right all along, from what we know).

Lots of people might suffer, and that might come to pass in this scenario because Tilo was either thinking with his dick or too butthurt to really think for a bit.

This is going to get so complex with so many players with even more agendas.
On the American side, the FBI really want Dillinger back as that would show everyone that in the end you can never get away from the FBI, for the CIA this would be an opportunity to either make a big splash or to keep Dillinger in place and flip him to work for them.
For the Germans, Dillinger is an embarrassment that is no longer needed to be kept around and is too dangerous to turn over to the Americans unless they can find a way to pin it on "Mid-Level" bureaucrats who where running a "Rogue Operation that was off the books".
For Kat this may be her chance to finally get her revenge on Papa Schultz and make him the fall guy for this, but she has to first find a way so that the blowback to Germany is minimized.
Louis Ferdinand may have to get involved both behind the scenes and out in front in order to calm the Americans down.

Then again we all could be going off in one of our more infamous tangents that has no bearing on this timeline.

Part 70, Chapter 1016
Chapter One Thousand Sixteen

28th May 1953

Wolfsburg

When Nancy got home the night before she had found that several envelopes and a drawing had been slid under her bedroom door. The Envelops were mostly birthday cards from the Sisterhood, all bright colors and promises that they would all get together when they had the chance. They had been aghast that they had missed out on Nancy’s birthday on the 8th and were trying to make up for it. The drawing was an incredible portrait of Nancy that someone had done it was unsigned though. The final envelope was a surprise when Nancy opened it. A travel itinerary for Airline tickets, round trip, Lufthansa from New York to Berlin, and United on the connected flights from Seattle and San Francisco. Written on the sheet of paper was a short note;

I feel horrible about what happened and for missing your birthday, and I hope that in some ways this makes up for it. I contacted your mother and brother so that I could arrange for them to travel to see you in August. They miss you and want to see that you are well. -Kat

P.S. The drawing was done by Maria’s daughter Zella, let her know what you think of it. She hides it, but I think Zella likes to show off how good she has become.

It was a nice gesture by Kat and it did go a long way towards making up for the mess on Sunday. Nancy wasn’t quite ready to forgive and forget just yet. She would also need to be sure that she thanked Zella. Now sitting in a Wolfsburg restaurant for lunch, Nancy was waiting to make a new friend, at least she hoped she was. It would make getting through the process of her involvement in the movie a whole lot easier.

The Host led Edda to Nancy’s table, as she sat down she could tell that Edda was looking around a bit askance at her surroundings. Nancy couldn’t help but notice it, but Edda had an aura of sophistication and elegance that she couldn’t possibly match. She was everything that Nancy wasn't.

“I’m sorry that this isn’t Berlin or Paris” Nancy said, “But the food is good, I eat lunch here regularly.”

“It’s about what I expected” Edda said, something about the way that Edda watched her made her feel like a research subject in a lab.

“I was thinking that after lunch I could show you around VW, the Offices and perhaps the assembly line” Nancy said, “Its optional though because it is all men who don’t always know how to behave around women.”

“You are the only woman who works there?” Edda asked.

“In the Promotions Department” Nancy replied.

“That sounds difficult” Edda said.

“Perhaps, but they are giving me a chance to use analytics to tailor advertisements” Nancy said, “It’s really exciting.”

“Tell me more” Edda said.

Washington D.C.

In John Aleshire’s opinion this was a waste of time and resources. Still, it did keep suspicion far away from Aleshire himself. He had made a point of telling his superiors that His Grandfather’s name had been Alscher and that his father had changed his name during the First World War. It turned out that John himself wasn’t considered a threat, because his family had clearly done that for patriotic reasons and an exhaustive investigation had concluded that John had no connections to Europe. Others though, like the man in the interrogation room had come from a family that had changed their name and religion before they ever set foot in the country. The fact that this man was now in the Diplomatic Corps raised some serious red flags.

“Think we’ve let him stew long enough?” Scranton, one of the Agents who John was supervising asked. John just nodded, and Scranton walked into the room.

“Glad that you came in here today, Richard. Mind if I call you that?” Scranton said as he sat down across the table from the man.

“Like I was given a choice?” Richard asked in reply.

“We just have a few questions is all” Scranton said.

Richard stared at Scranton.

“Your father, who killed himself in 1921, his name was Friedrich Kohn correct?” Scranton asked.

“That has nothing to do with me” Richard said.

“Perhaps” Scranton said, “But the fact that he converted to Catholicism and changed his name to Kerry before moving to Brookline, Massachusetts from German State of Bohemia looks extremely suspicious.”

“It wasn’t part of Germany at that time” Richard said.

Scranton just shrugged, “As if the Austro-Hungarian Empire would be much better.” He said.

John didn’t need to see any more, so he left the observation room. In a month they would conduct a second interview and if the answers in the second interview didn’t exactly match the answers in the first then they would have this man over a barrel. At that point it was disturbing how many people would turn on their own grandmother to save their own skins. Going back to his desk he made sure to log the time and date of first interview and to note that it had been recorded.

John was also maintaining a second list, one that he would pass on to the dead drop that evening after work. He had no idea what the BND-NAA wanted with that list, but they had asked for it. John had found that it was a lot easier not to ask questions.

Last edited:
Funny how the US is working tirelessly on creating a whole group of disgrunteled citizens that would be easily amendable to furnish the BND with all manners of interesting data.

Soon, the BND will need several main frames to sort through all that information. They will think that cristmas has come early with all the HUMINT comming in.

I am surprised that Anne with her real life fascination with movie stars did not try to crash the lunch with Nancy.

And another cameo coup for Peabody-Martini as John Kerry makes his appearance.

Edit: I'm sorry I meant that John Kerry makes an indirect cameo thru his father.

Last edited:
For the Germans, Dillinger is an embarrassment that is no longer needed to be kept around and is too dangerous to turn over to the Americans unless they can find a way to pin it on "Mid-Level" bureaucrats who where running a "Rogue Operation that was off the books".
For Kat this may be her chance to finally get her revenge on Papa Schultz and make him the fall guy for this, but she has to first find a way so that the blowback to Germany is minimized.
The problem is Johann is the man who knows were a lot of bodies are buried (since usually he's the one who ordered them there in the first place). He was the Abwehr officer responsible for America in general and the USA in particular. Giving him up to the Americans for a simple grudge is not something anybody in the know in Germany would really think a good idea.
After all, in regards to Katherine, the only thing he's actually guilty of is that one of the instructors he provided was a pretty poor choice. And he didn't do that out of malice. Well, that and being his own natural self (an ass).

Giving him up to the Americans for a simple grudge is not something anybody in the know in Germany would really think a good idea.
You don't have to give him up to the Americans, you just make a public spectacle of making him the fall guy, slapping his wrist and pensioning him off, hoping that will be enough to satisfy the Americans.
By the way I doubt that any Law Enforcement Officers in Germany from the Federal Police down to the school crossing guard will be pleased that the government hid a cop killer no what the reason is given and would support turning Dillinger over to the Americans if his existence is made public.

The problem is Johann is the man who knows were a lot of bodies are buried (since usually he's the one who ordered them there in the first place). He was the Abwehr officer responsible for America in general and the USA in particular. Giving him up to the Americans for a simple grudge is not something anybody in the know in Germany would really think a good idea.
Plus, well, why would they?

I think that y'all are exaggerating.

Tilo may be angry at his father and Kat, but sure as hell he isn't either stupid or a Traitor.

Even if "Ellis" was someone who worked with his Father, Tilo isn't someone who would screw him.

A normal Club owner certainly wouldn't have left him in peace drinking for several hours, and would have called the Police, what would have ended up in a VERY messy if not bloody way...

Besides that would imply to get closed the best Jazz & Blues Club in Germany if not all of Europe.

.... In short words, the angsty stuff will go forward until someone in a sense surrenders or quits........

Funny how the US is working tirelessly on creating a whole group of disgrunteled citizens that would be easily amendable to furnish the BND with all manners of interesting data.

Soon, the BND will need several main frames to sort through all that information. They will think that cristmas has come early with all the HUMINT comming in.

They're in a nasty position. The intelligence services, and who knows what else are severely compromised. That said, going after people because of last name is stupid, but makes sense in a bizarre sort of way. After all, surely the guy who can trace his ancestry to being an English settler is less likely to be a traitor than the guy whose daddy was a German. Right? (/sarc if not obvious)

Of course, it doesn't take into account that the majority of moles are going to be A: Being blackmailed into it. Or B: Being bribed into it. If history is any judge, those in position B are being bribed with ludicrously small amounts.

Plus, well, why would they?
Because in the end John Dillinger is not worth it, and having good relations with the United States is more important than protecting him or anybody else who was involved.
This is where cooler heads need to prevail and make sure that the damage, and there will be damage, is limited and if that means finding fall guys ,scapegoats to take the blame, so be it because in the long run it is in Germany's best interest to get rid of this problem in a way that makes the United States less mad at them.

And once again let me reiterate that all of this could be one of our more infamous tangents that we are going on and Peabody-Martini may have something even better planned for us.

Also do not forget that this paranoia and screwing up of people ironically tends to end up producing fertile ground for a future generation of willing spies for Germany...

Hundreds if not thousands of people that feel betrayed, hurt and angry with the nation that was supposed to uphold certain values and laws, but because their ancestors were of a determined racial group their careers and names are being destroyed or smeared.....

Alshire's list in a sense it's the list of what individuals will be potentially in a few years more willing to switch loyalty to their ancestry's country rather than the Nation that spat in their faces and honor.....

I don't know why nobody has pointed it out yet, but "Freidrich" is not a german name. It should be "Friedrich". Ever since Prince Freddy was first mentioned it keeps bugging me...

I think that maybe the BND is getting too aggressive in running operations in the United States and someone in the German government will realize it.
While the United States and Germany are not buddies they are in no way enemies with each other but competitors for influence on the world stage.
The BND could be told to take a lower profile because the more aggressive they are makes it more likely that a significant portion of the operations could get blown and that will be worse for Germany.

Who knows that 'John Ellis' is John Dillinger? Alte Schultz, Schafer, Pujold and the rest of his mob crew?

Nancy knows him as 'John from Chicago.' His off hand comment to her about expats led the OSS who Lansky to sold Hoover to them. The penetration of their comm links got word to Violette Morris who had him snuffed.

We still don't know how Truman found out that Hoover's files were in his house and he wasn't likely to return.