Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Nancy approached one of the agents surveilling the house. "You guys need to leave."

"Uh, why?"

"Because the woman who owns that house is likely to come home soon and if you're here she'll be annoyed."

"What's she gonna do, hit us with her handbag?"

Oh, God; could they be more dense? "The Crimson Countess of Berlin? The Tigress of Pankow?"

"What's that mean?"

Yes, they can be that dense. "Ever wonder why Paul Finley only has one arm? He accosted her when she was a teenager; he had a pistol, she had a little knife. Snicker snack."

"Uh..."

"She had the same little knife when she killed six assassins who were after the German Empress. Now, she might not start shooting immediately, she might just get the Abwehr to deport you as persona non grata."

Yes, Kiki, it isn't fair. Mother Nature is a malevolent misogynist, torturing female humans from menarche to menopause. The torture changes during pregnancy but resumes as soon as the kid stops breastfeeding. The torture can sometimes be alleviated with modern pharmaceuticals, but the effect isn't universal.

Part 70, Chapter 1014
I always find it fascinating when the readers guess what's next in the TL and it was something that I thought anyone was unlikely to guess when I wrote it.

Chapter One Thousand Fourteen

24th May 1953

Berlin

“Once again, I’m sorry Nancy” Kat said, “I didn’t mean for this to happen.”

Nancy was sitting on the back porch wrapped in a blanket, her bloodshot eyes and nose were still runny despite her getting sprayed from head to toe with cold water. Her clothes were deemed too contaminated to wear into the house.

“Just what was that?” Nancy asked.

“CS gas, military grade” Kat replied, “I thought I was dealing with the usual sort of pests from the US Government.”

“They weren’t” Nancy replied, “And I had the problem well in hand before you showed up with the gas grenades and the rubber bullets.”

“If they had been from the CIA you would have been happy to see me” Kat said, only to get a dirty look from Nancy. “I can’t apologize enough.”

“They were from General Motors” Nancy said, “And you overreacted.”

“That’s not fair” Kat said, “Compared to what I did to Russian Agents during the war, that was showing a lot of restraint.”

As Kat had found out after the fact, the three men were hired by GM. While Nancy’s efforts hadn’t had an impact yet. GM had caught wind of the ambitious business plan of VW and had understood that if Nancy’s efforts helped VW establish a foothold in North America then it would cut into GM and Ford’s market share at the entry level. It didn’t take much imagination to realize that eventually VW was going to develop a car for the midrange market, the Föhn 1200 as it was sold in Germany was well on its way there. GM had responded by sending private detectives to see what Nancy was up to. They were retired policemen from New York operating under the assumption that Berlin was a big city like Chicago, New York or Los Angeles. They had the BII all over them from the moment that they had stepped off the plane.

“You shot me” Nancy said, with increasing anger.

“You said it yourself that they were rubber bullets” Kat replied, “And I didn’t know you were in there.”

Nancy shot Kat another dirty look as the blanket fell open a bit, revealing an ugly purple bruise on the center of her crest. Nancy quickly pulled the blanket back about herself. She was furious about getting gassed, shot and then roughly decontaminated in the back garden by the Squad from the 1st Imperial Foot who Kat had brought along as backup. For Kat it had been a good op, four targets taken down before they could react. Unfortunately, one of the targets had been Nancy who had been trying to warn the three men to leave before Kat happened to them.

“What did you do with them?” Nancy asked.

“Those three idiots are currently in the cargo hold of a Lufthansa flight to New York” Kat replied, “The crew has instructions to dump them out as soon as they park the plane at Idlewild Airport.”

“Good” Nancy said as she noticed a familiar face peeking out the back door. To her absolute horror, Tilo stepped out onto the back porch.

“Did something happen?” Tilo asked.

Nancy turned to Kat and yelled “I HATE YOU!” Sharply and she ran past Tilo into the house, they heard a door slam a minute later.

“What was that about?” Tilo asked bewildered.

“Nancy has had a rough day” Kat replied, “Are you staying for dinner Dietrich?”

Tilo looked at Kat with narrowed eyes. He knew that there was a half dozen men from the 1st Foot about who would back her version of events, no matter what she did. He also knew that she outranked him and that this was the sort of thing that Kat Mischner had done to him since he was fourteen. She disliked him, and he never knew if he was about to step into a trap with her. He had a feeling that staying for dinner would be extremely bad for his health.

“I came to see how Nancy was doing” Tilo said.

“You saw” Kat replied, “Try not to have a bad day Dietrich.”

He had a vision of the tigress that people compared her to, sitting in the sun unsheathing claws and debating action. He realized that she was practically daring him to cause her trouble, so she would have an excuse to use them.

Petaluma, California

It was the first day that the afternoon felt noticeably warm. Jonny was drying his car after washing it, a 1939 Ford Coupe which he had bought for a song with a bit of his back pay when he had first come back from Mexico. He had spent the winter fixing it up car. With the new 239 flathead V-8 engine the car just flew. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the other car pull up. They didn’t even try to hide its official nature. The man who got out of the backseat even walked like he had a broomstick up his ass.

“Whatever you are selling, I ain’t buying” Jonny said without ever looking up.

“You could at least hear what I have to say” The man said.

“I’ve done my bit” Jonny said looking at speck that he hoped wasn’t a chip in the paint, “Now I just want to get back to my life.”

“You’re a Technical Sergeant, John Casey, a rank that would take most men at least a decade to get” The man replied, “Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Presidential Unit Citation. Even a German Iron Cross and Federal Merit Cross in Gold won in action with allied forces.”

“Is there a point to this?” Jonny asked.

“With a record like that, you think that Uncle Sam is just going to let you walk away?”

“I’d say that you can watch me” Jonny said.

“Have it your way” The man said, “But when you get bored loading barges or get popped by the local Highway Patrol speeding in this car. Give me a call.”

He handed Jonny a business card. Jonny shoved it into the pocket of his shirt and thought no more of it.

Last edited:
1939 Ford Coupe

39ford77226-1.jpg

“Have it your way” The man said, “But when you get bored loading barges or get popped by the local Highway Patrol speeding in this car. Give me a call.”

He handed Jonny a business card. Jonny shoved it into the pocket of his shirt and thought no more of it.

Someone has decided that the Americans need their own SKA and Jonny's just been tapped up for it.

Well, that's the good version.

The bad version is the CIA trying to recruit him for their paramilitary forces.

I'm hoping it's the former and that he's just met TTL's Mr Beckwith, (who is a 2nd LT about now).

And oh so easy to work on.

One of the fun things about TTL. The MB 300SL was a new car in the showroom. BMW R68 motorcycles were rare even in 1952 to 54 when BMW was making them, only 1,452 were ever built, but in 1953 they wouldn't have been only for collectors. In 1953 a 1939 Ford Coupe was decent used car, it's reputation for hot rodding and stock car racing was just getting started.

“Once again, I’m sorry Nancy” Kat said, “I didn’t mean for this to happen.”
And somehow, i suspect that Doug its sleeping in the Couch this night. Because the poor guy must have fallen to the floor laughing his ass over the explanation.

Hell, i can imagine that Tilo's dad and a few people in the Intelligence area must be hitting the desks with their fists, as they laugh themselves to the floor. In the other side, i suspect that Kat's going to likely do something BIG as a "I'm Sorry gift" for Nancy.

The Question its when Kat will get the brick to the head that Nancy AND Tilo are in love and in a way, Nancy's destroying herself because she can't be with him?

FBKampfer

Banned
I feel like Tilo is close enough in capabilities to cause some troubles for Kat. Especially if he's got a bolo in his hand.

Several more good chapters while I was at work...WOW!
I knew, the moment that people were watching Nancy, that someone was in for a lot of hurt. Looks like GM's private defectives are in a lot of trouble...

What are Turkey's borders like? The Marmara and Aegean region are certainly Greek, while the southeastern portion is probably part of Kurdistan. One of the old posts mentioned Turkey no longer possessing any Mediterranean coastline, I assumed it was a typo and was meant to say 'Aegean'.

What about the Black Sea Coast? Does any of it belong to Greece past the Marmara region?

And what about the Levant and Mesopotamia, what are the changes from OTL?

Last edited:
What are Turkey's borders like? The Marmara and Aegean region are certainly Greek, while the southeastern portion is probably part of Kurdistan. One of the old posts mentioned Turkey no longer possessing any Mediterranean coastline, I assumed it was a typo and was meant to say 'Aegean'.

What about the Black Sea Coast? Does any of it belong to Greece past the Marmara region?

And what about the Levant and Mesopotamia, what are the changes from OTL?

The Greeks were in a position to take advantage of the collapse of the Ottoman Empire ITTL as the Turks had found themselves fighting a multi-front war with the Kurds, the Syrians and Armenians as well as the Greeks. Groups that only have their dislike of the Ottomans in common. Along the Black Sea the Turks have been pushed into the interior while they still the southern coast around Mersen and Antalya.

Why would GM send private detectives to contact Nancy instead of someone from the European Division? But this is GM we are talking about, where every division was run like a personal fifedom and there was no real cooperation with the other divisions.
The fact that Chevrolet considered Pontiac and not Ford or Dodge as their main rivals says a lot about the culture of GM at this time and that will get them in trouble starting in the Sixties, and it was only that GM was so big that they could power thru this for so long.

Die the GM mooks at least get covered in duck tape or whipped cream with sprinkles, or were they just dumped on the tarmac in their undies?

Surely someone from Opel would have been better to do the industrial espionage?

These days it's VW spying on GM!

Die the GM mooks at least get covered in duck tape or whipped cream with sprinkles, or were they just dumped on the tarmac in their undies?

They're probably wearing generic doesn't-matter-if-it-fits-because-this-is-the-size-you-get coveralls with their contaminated clothing in a plastic bag and a duffel containing everything in their hotel rooms.

They're probably wearing generic doesn't-matter-if-it-fits-because-this-is-the-size-you-get coveralls with their contaminated clothing in a plastic bag and a duffel containing everything in their hotel rooms.

Ahhhh, the One Size Fits None pattern, beloved of defence suppliers the world over...

Part 70, Chapter 1015
Chapter One Thousand Fifteen

25th May 1953

Berlin

“I called you because it’s nearly closing time and if I call the cops someone would get killed” John Elis said when Schultz walked in.

Sitting at the bar was Tilo spinning a fifty-pfennig coin on the bar. Schultz had heard about some of the habits that Tilo had picked up in the Far East, an hour earlier Elis had called and said that Tilo had been drinking well whiskey all night. The fact that he could still spin a coin like he was suggested exactly what his ability to soak up alcohol these days was.

“Herr Elis said you got chased off by Gräfin von Mischner this… Well… Now, yesterday afternoon” Schultz said as he sat down next to his son.

“I just wanted to see if Nancy was doing all right” Tilo replied, “You do know that you’ve created a real monster, a tigress to be exact.”

“I didn’t create anything” Schultz said, “When I found her I knew raw talent when I saw it. I tried to focus it with training and I was new to that sort thing in those days, so I made a few major blunders. The girl has hated me ever since.”

“Whatever you did, she is not nice” Tilo said.

“You are my son and Katherine remembers you from when you were a selfish little shit” Schultz said, “You’re just lucky that she hasn’t stomped you for being interested in her friend.”

Tilo just went back to his drink.

“I know you saw the tail end of it” Schultz said, “But the Tigress misjudged the situation when she found out that she was getting spied on again. The BII neglected to tell her what she was dealing with and she came on a bit too heavy.”

Schultz was laughing until he noticed that Tilo was just staring at him.

“You think that was funny?” Tilo asked, “People could have gotten seriously hurt. I saw Nancy on the back steps of her house, she was arguing with Kat after getting a face full of gas and being hit by a rubber bullet.”

“Come on Tilo” Schultz said, “She’s American and she was meeting other Americans. Walk in a storm and get hit by lightning.”

“Nancy was trying to get them to leave” Tilo said, as he got to his feet.

“And you’re just going to take her word for that?” Schultz asked.

“I’ve a lot more reason to trust her than you” Tilo said and then he walked out of the bar.

“So, you don’t trust Americans?” Elis asked having overheard most of the conversation, “Though I suspect that you might be forced to have one in the family in the future.”

“I do not trust most Americans, you’re different” Schultz said, ignoring the last part of what Elis had just said. “I’m aware that you have a lot of good reasons to avoid contact with your Government.”

“It’s because they never give up, though I’ve heard that they are starting to think that I drowned in the San Francisco Bay during my escape” Elis said, “If I had known that being presumed dead with a big question mark would drive them nuts I might have done it a lot sooner.”

Shultz was aware of John Elis’ past and the deal he had cut with Abwehr. Elis had shared every bit of knowledge that he had about operating as an outlaw in the Upper Midwest. Names, contacts, criminal networks and tactics. In return the German Government turned a blind eye to his presence and allowed his nightclub to run with minimal interference. For years, Johann Schultz and Juan Pujol Garcia had been running the covert operations side of Imperial Shipping of Brandenburg out of the back room of the V8 Club as a part of that deal. However, Schultz knew the full truth, Elis had been law abiding for the most part since he had escaped from Alcatraz Island. Having no more mountains to conquer had resulted in his being reformed.

“Now, with that I need to lock up. I’m supposed to meet Sarah for breakfast in a few hours” Elis said, “It will be nice to see my nephew.”

“That kid really your nephew?” Schultz asked.

“Nope” Elis said, “Sarah, Jonny’s mother, has been the piano player in this bar for years and he was in here with Sarah and Carla a few days after he was born, so I don’t mind.”

It was something that Schultz was aware of when he talked to Elis. Living in the core of one of the most socially liberal cities in the world tended to give one a skewed perspective. What would leave many a house wife outside the city aghast, calling Berlin a modern Sodom and Gomorrah, was a Monday morning breakfast with a gay couple and their baby. Perfectly normal. But then again, the Intelligence Officer in Schultz had to wonder if the obsession over other people were having sex and who they were doing it with said more about those same house wives then they were prepared to admit.

----------------------------------------------------------------

“You need to let someone else save the world for once” Doug said softly though he knew that Kat probably wasn’t listening to him. “Be here with your family and let other people handle these things.”

It was hardly a surprise, Doug had seen Kat do this too many times before and it was heartbreaking to watch. She keyed herself up before a combat operation to the extent that all fear and doubt vanished. Just the mission that she was focused on, nothing else. Then the crash followed. In the past Kat had tried to use pills and sex to avoid falling into a resulting depressive episode. Once Doug was aware of what was going on he realized that he couldn’t play a part in it because he had noticed that it actually made her worse. Today was especially bad because she had messed up and a friend had gotten hurt as a result. She was still weeping on Doug’s shoulder after a sleepless night. He had learned that the only way for her to avoid depression was to let herself feel things, something that was extremely difficult for her.

Last edited:
Opel was a cash cow for GM from when it got back on its feet after IOTL WW II and it allowed GM to use the profits from Opel to make up for the losses that they had in the United States.
As for this timeline, I think that what happened would still happen because having GM being involved in the German economy would be a good thing as it allows for more investments from foreign companies and ITTL Augustus Lang was setting up an infrastructure for the cooperation between the German government and private sector for the inevitable war with the Soviet Union.
Having GM being able to supply spare parts that were in common with Opel products from the United States allowed for Opel to free up production make things that were necessary for the war effort.
And I think that Tilo is going to drop an anonymous dime on Dillenger and make look like it was Nancy who found out about him so that Nancy can get back in the good graces of the American government.