Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

Kat’s mind kept wandering. She wasn’t going back to Berlin with Doug and the children. Instead, she was going on to Seoul where she would join her staff. The counter-offensive that had been hashed out in Wunsdorf was being executed in the coming days and the KSK was going to play a key role. No one had said anything to Kat, but thousands of scare cats had been stamped out in preparation. Having the Chinese Army too frightened to use their own roads was a rather laudable goal, just Kat wasn’t sure that it would be nearly as effective this time. The Chinese would learn that it was just one trick that they had up their sleeve.
So, it's soon time to Cry to Cry Havoc and let loose the Cats of War? :openedeyewink:

FBKampfer

Banned
I doubt that flying ground attack instead of air superiority makes such a great difference in this Germany's airforce. They are not US forces, and thus while there is certainly some amount of rivalry between the different branches, I doubt it is as pronounced.

One thing that will count much for Ben is that he volunteered even though he is a reserve officer. Now he only needs to enlarge his fruit salad a bit and he will be much more acceptable to the more conservative circles.

After all a dashing war hero on his fiery steed comes quite close to a prince charming, doesn't he?

I wasn't thinking interservice rivalry. I was thinking how long can he keep flying until a missile with his name on it comes off the assembly lines.

Ground attack has always been about the riskiest mission you can draw.

“The son of a Chemistry Professor at the University of Berlin is a bit of a step down” Manfred said.

“As opposed to a Nurse Practitioner?” Käte asked, “How did that work out?”

“This is a bit different” Manfred replied.

Käte just gave him a knowing smile. Later, she was planning on having a midday meal with those of her social circle and one of the Imperial Princesses perhaps finding a love match was the sort of thing that they would find particularly juicy. Manfred seemed to find the detail that the boy was from a middle-class family as opposed to being from one that was old and powerful a bit objectionable, but that was just who he was.

Well to be fair he is kinda right this time. It is really not the same as Manfred and Kate. I mean yeah Manfred was from a noble family but even then his family was still far the totem pole of nobility, compared to the Imperial Royal Family of the German Empire.

The only two historical comparison that I can recall as famous is Grace Kelly and Mrs Simpson.

Personally I do think it is an interesting twist, especially if Kiki does go her own way with the whole "feminist" progression going through Germany. A women's right to choose, so to speak. A high ranking noble marrying a unknown commoner. It is the stuff of fairy tales....

Last edited:
I remember when Princess Anne married Captain Mark Phillips there was a syndicated television show about The British Royal Family and the premise of the show was that the marriage was “A nail in the coffin” for the monarchy.
ITTL the sister of the Kaiser, Cecelia married an officer who was injured during the war and it was not a real big deal.
Ben could be considered to be part of the “New Junker Class” and unless Kiki is required to marry the son of Chiang Kai-shek in order for there to be peace in Korea then it is going to be what is called a 9 day wonder story.

Gia getting married to Fydor could be called the last act of the Russian Revolution in which things has basically have come full circle.

Last edited:
and unless Kiki is required to marry the son of Chiang Kai-Shem

raw

...unless Kiki is required to marry the son of Chiang Kai-Shem...

Maybe 200 years previously, this would have been a viable option if we can quietly ignore the institutional racism whereby nationalists from both countries would be screaming from the rooftops about their government being so weak as to having to marry a foreign barbarian in order to secure peace.

ITTL, These days? Kiki would be spitting feathers, and the courtier or politician that suggested it would be spitting teeth. Assuming it got far enough to be mentioned to the Princess.

Edit: just read your reply. I now think it would be worth including it in the story arc just for the comedy effect.

I wasn't thinking interservice rivalry. I was thinking how long can he keep flying until a missile with his name on it comes off the assembly lines.

Ground attack has always been about the riskiest mission you can draw.

Doesn't need to be a missile, or a bullet. At the levels a ground attack takes place, it could easily be a tree that takes you down, or a duck. Or a hamster.

Re: Ben. Kiki's dad may be one of the few fathers who could actually arrange for his daughter's suitor to be shot into space.

With or without a space suit?

Space suit? I think the question is within the capsule or strapped to the outside!

The German equivilent of HARP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_HARP) beause I mean why tie up a perfectly good launch site over a trival matter like this?

Randy

I know that the Chinese Army has American advisers in the field but are there any Americans advising them in Beijing?
If so the advisers should be informing them that they are about to get “F’d in the A” by the Koreans and Germans.
First off they are facing Kurt Knipsel the Ace of Aces of tankers from the ITTL Second World War, then there is Hans von Mischner who is Walter von Horst star pulpil and will be coming hard at them and finally there is Kat who’s personal bravery can not be disputed but what is more important is that she is the one who planned the brilliant SKA campaign that kicked open the door to Moscow that ended the war and as a cherry on top of that she also planned the raid that captured Stalin.

Part 95, Chapter 1490
Chapter One Thousand Four Hundred Ninety

12th May 1962

Sinuiju, Korea

Ritchie was watching the SAM battery from a distance as he waited to cross the Yalu River back into China. The Air Defenses had increasingly been coming under attack themselves and for Americans the most dangerous job in Asia had come to be working as a Technician assisting the Chinese at the Radar and Missile sites. That was seen as the cost of doing business in China, where fortunes and sudden death seemed to go hand in hand.

The surface to air missile battery wasn’t doing anything, obviously because they didn’t want to risk shooting down friendlies. Ritchie could see the tracking radar was active though. That meant that the Chinese Air Force was in the air overhead, as if the long white curving contrails and distant screams of jet engines were not enough of a sign. The Curtis F-98 Goshawk IIIs that the Chinese were building under license were mostly used by Air National Guard Units back in the States, the USAF preferring the larger and more advanced Lockheed F-103 Bolt. Just the fact that the Chinese version of the Goshawk was keeping the German made Fock-Wulf and Heinkel fighters at bay might suggest that the current philosophy of the US Air Force might be flawed.

The German Arado Fighter/Bombers, dubbed Pfeil whatever that meant, had been attacking bridges over the Yalu relentlessly. Often, they had timed it to coincide with counterattacks so that reinforcements and supplies would be stuck on the wrong side of the river. He had seen them enough times, planes that looked like something from a Buck Rogers comic that could carry a dozen bombs that weighed five hundred kilograms. Ritchie had observed that even a near miss was bad news with those things. Just the speed with which they made their attack runs made them difficult to intercept and when they dropped strings of bombs, some bracketed the bridges while others flew the target and landed in the river or among the troops on the riverbank. That was why there was a mad dash for whatever cover was available as what they assumed was an attack run.

High overhead one of the Goshawks that was preparing to intercept, exploded into a ball of fire…

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ben saw that the F-LF VII Hermelin missile worked exactly as they had been told it would. Wim had gotten target lock on the plane and as soon as he had it, the radar guided missile had dropped out of the weapons bay and accelerated at the Goshawk before exploding and blowing it apart before Goshawk’s pilot had even realized what was going on.

The Brass had suddenly remembered that the Pfeil had originally been designed as an Interceptor before its potential as an Attack Bomber had been noticed. The ground crews that been ordered to optimize the airplanes for air to air role today and SKG 18 had flown what had become a predictable pattern to attack the bridges. The difference was that today’s target was the Chinese Air Force. Without the heavy load of ordnance weighing down, the Pfeil was actually quite nimble and Ben was finding that this was actually quite fun. He still had three more Hermelin missiles in the weapon’s bay, some of the short-range H-LFK Speer Missiles and a load of 30mm cannon shells. As he was vectored in towards the next target, he realized that he would get a chance to try them out.

Anju, Korea

The Hauptmann had said that he wanted to talk to Kiki, her falling asleep outside his office was partially a consequence of that. It was something that she had dealt with before. He would tell her that while she was setting a laudable example, she needed to rest and would order her to sleep for the rest of the day. He would know by now that she had spent the previous hours on a helicopter as it had made the run between the front and the hospital ship on the Yellow Sea. Mitzi and Rolf had been with her and Kiki had seen that they were asleep on their feet by the time the helicopter had landed in Anju to refuel and to spell out the crew. She had sent them to rest and had learned that Ingo was off with Valentin and Anton. That was why Kiki had been in the mess tent looking for what passed for coffee when word came that the Hauptmann wanted a word with her.

Kiki awoke when the chair she was sitting in was kicked by a Feldwebel whose name Kiki didn’t know. He didn’t say anything, going back to what he had been doing. Seeing that the door to the Hauptmann’s office was open. Kiki got to her feet, cursing the feeling of fogginess that she had.

“I had debated just letting you sleep” The Hauptmann said when he saw Kiki. If Kiki had been anyone else, she doubted that he would have considered that, even for an instant.

“Regardless, Sir” Kiki said, “You wanted to see me.”

“About this” The Hauptmann said, pointing to the sheets of paper that logged just how many hours she had spent in air.

“I know” Kiki said, “But there is too much that needs to be done.”

“Not quite what I wanted to talk about” The Hauptmann said, he paused for a moment. “I am sure you know many of the Team Leaders feel that having us conducting Medical Evacuations is not our mission.”

Kiki nodded.

There had been little call for them to conduct the sort of operations that they had trained for. Most of the time either planes had been downed right over the lines or in places like over the Yalu where the crew would be captured almost immediately.

“You on the other hand, have created your own opportunities” The Hauptmann said, “I know that you feel that you have some thing to prove Fraulein von Preussen, but take your due for once. Hard work and dedication need to be rewarded.”

In her exhausted state, Kiki had hardly been aware what was on the Hauptmann’s desk until he had pushed them towards her. The small case that contained a medal and a citation was well as the rank epaulettes of a Lieutenant.

“Get some rest Lieutenant” The Hauptmann said, “And we will talk about your new role tomorrow.”

Last edited:
“You on the other hand, have created your own opportunities” The Hauptmann said, “I know that you feel that you have some thing to prove Fraulein von Preussen, but take your due for once. Hard work and dedication need to be rewarded.”

In her exhausted state, Kiki had hardly been aware what was on the Hauptmann’s desk until he had pushed them towards her. The small case that contained a medal and a citation was well as the rank epaulettes of a Lieutenant.

“Get some rest Lieutenant” The Hauptmann said, “And we will talk about your new role tomorrow.”

She cannot run away now.

Honestly though I thought she was being told to get some R&R.