Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread II

I am just waiting for her to complain that she needs the latest iPhone or she is just going to die from shame.

The first I-phone doesn't come along in OTL until 2007 or the first commercially available smart phone until 1994, so you are unlikely to see that in a post anytime soon. One of Kiki's granddaughters might be a different story...

I hope that I made it clear that I was I was being sarcastic about the iPhone, it just that a couple of months ago that my 15 year old niece was complaining to me that her parents did not love her because they wouldn't get her the new iPhone.
Ironically she was using the same language and arguments that her mother made to our parents when she was that age and wanted a Princess phone in her room, so while the technology changes, the arguments remains the same.

You are so right, but I have had a bunch of teenage nieces that I had to deal with over the years and after hearing the same problem from the third niece it does gets old and being told that it is the end of the world it is hard to take them seriously at times.
Peabody-Martini has made Kiki such a real person to me that reminds me so much of my nieces that I am just waiting for her to complain that she needs the latest iPhone or she is just going to die from shame.

Then when they get into groups, there's all the squealing. Worst than the pig farm that was nearby growing up...

Part 86, Chapter 1320
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Twenty

14th April 1959

Moscow, Russia

As Gia walked out onto the tarmac, she was amazed by the size of the new airliner from Ilyushin. The big four-engine turboprop was entering service with Aeroflot and it marked the return of the Russian aviation industry to the world stage. In a few hours it would depart with a cabin full of passengers to the Russian Far East. The booming economy in that distant corner of Russia made it an extremely desirable destination for the national carrier. The new airplane had the speed and range to reduce the travel time considerably. When Georgy had made his plans to tour the Far East and Siberia in the coming summer this airplane had been a major factor. People in distant places like Vladivostok, Novosibirsk, Irkutsk and Krasnoyarsk would see the Czar in person. It would be the first time in history that such a thing had happened in that manner.

Gia herself had plenty to contend with at home, so she wouldn’t be going. Mercifully, Fyodor would be going with Georgy, so that would be one less headache to contend with. Anya, curse her, had discovered that boys existed and all it took was a smile from her and they became thoughtless blobs of gelatin. That was the reason why Gia had found herself having to talk to Anya in exactly the same way that Aunt Marcella and Kat had to her years earlier. It was not a pleasant experience. It wasn’t helped by Kat telling her that she needed to let her guard down with Fyodor, just enough to see if his intentions are genuine. This was at a time when she was having to constantly tell Anya that she needed to keep her guard up. From an early age Gia had known that life wasn’t fair, but the sick irony of it all was galling. Then there was Kat mentioning that Kiki was complaining to anyone who would listen about how difficult her life had become. Kat had thought that was the funniest she had heard in her life. When Gia had pointed out that Kiki was putting aside her social life and had been spending every waking moment working because she had learned that behavior from Kat, it had basically ended the conversation.

“It is an honor to have you aboard Grand Duchess Sasha” The Stewart said as she entered the door into the cabin. Gia just smiled in return. The cockpit was typical of what she had seen over the years. According to the pilot who was giving the tour the distances involved and the isolation of many of the locations the aircraft would fly to, the airplane would have a dedicated navigator. Gia saw the seat across from the flight engineer’s station. It seemed like a practical consideration.

Sitting down in one of the first-class seats, Gia just looked out the window at the airport operations that were always moving at a fever pitch. In a few hours, this airplane would be high in the clouds. All the problems on Earth would seem remote.

“As you can see, we will transport 84 passengers comfortably” The pilot said, interrupting Gia’s thoughts and answering a question she hadn’t asked.

“Thank you” Gia replied, and she heard the click of a camera. Come to think of it, Kiki had every right to complain about the goldfish bowl that was her life. Gia had certainly been happier when the world had thought that she had died with her family and she had been living anonymously in Berlin.

Camp Hale, Near Leadville, Colorado

It wasn’t Runt’s winning personality or his stammering answers to the questions that Jonny and Parker had ruthlessly subjected him to that got him in. It was that the Green Beret needed native Spanish speakers because it was figured that with the Kaiserliche Marine operating a Naval Base at Rio Gallegos in Argentina things would be getting hot south of the Rio Grande over the next decade. He hadn’t said it, but Jonny had been sorely tempted to tell the Captain, “No shit.” Anyone who had been in Mexico had seen with their own eyes what awaited them if the problems down there didn’t start to be taken seriously.

It wasn’t just the Krauts either, there were a thousand different interests that were jockeying for power in a region that the United States had long considered their back yard. It seemed that the property owners had something very different to say on that subject and with Cuba going the way it had, there was now a blueprint available to give the Gabachos the boot. Jonny himself had seen it. The attempted revolution in Mexico had been misguided, but it wouldn’t have gotten as far as it had without some level of local support. Someone in Washington clearly had pulled their head out of their ass long enough to realize that they needed people who could at least blend in somewhat with the locals.

All that was academic, because the 1st SFG was packing up to leave Camp Hale and return to Fort Drum in upstate New York.

“What do you think we ought to do with the kid?” Parker asked.

“Keep him on the BAR” Jonny replied. The new incarnation of the Browning Automatic Rifle was an improved version of the old one. The new 6mm cartridge meant that a shorter receiver and modern materials had lightened it somewhat from the A1. Still, it was a big, heavy chunk of steel to haul around. If Runt was going to earn his place for real, then that would be how he did it.

Last edited:
On another note, since alot of european armies had honorary Colonels in Chief of the regiments. So I would like to nominate Gia as a good candidate to be the Colonel in Chief of the Russian Spetnaz regiment. Not only is she a Royal, but given her past work with them I can see the members thinking she is one of them.

This is a chance for Parker to shine, he needs to do a thoughtful analysis of the situation in Latin America and remind the top people the reason for the lost prestige and influence that the United States had there it was because of actions taken by the Dulles Brothers in Argentina.
And by the way when a new airport is built in Northern Virginia to serve the Washington D.C. area it is going to need a new name ITTL.

On another note, since alot of european armies had honorary Colonels in Chief of the regiments. So I would like to nominate Gia as a good candidate to be the Colonel in Chief of the Russian Spetnaz regiment. Not only is she a Royal, but given her past work with them I can see the members thinking she is one of them.

Will they have friendly competition between Kat's SKA and Gia's Spetnaz?

Knowing Gia? She's more likely to insist on doing the course.. As a refresher, to relieve her boredom, and to show AND REMIND the more stuffy Russians that she WAS trained in a level for the Voyevoda herself, Stalin's Bane..... That tend to make wonders for Gia's reputation... Specially if the Russian Soldiers also start to respect her even more......

Part 86, Chapter 1321
Chapter One Thousand Three Hundred Twenty-One

20th April 1959

Basel, Switzerland

It was another behind the scenes meeting through back channels where the real international agreements got their start. It didn’t take a genius to know that not everyone was happy with the present order and the direction that things were moving in. The trouble was that lately the diplomats had been getting creditable threats. Louis had asked Kat to investigate the matter and he had told her to be subtle about it this time. It had been that last part that had rankled her, in the investigations that she had conducted into sexual abuse she had seen how it only took a guilty conscience to cause certain individuals to flee when she had arrived even if it was for an unrelated matter. Eventually, Kat had been forced to conclude that Cosimo de’ Medici had been right when he had said that she wasn’t the right person to investigate such matters. She had enjoyed nailing a certain kind of man to the wall and her objectivity had been questioned. Not to mention that it did nothing to help the general distrust that she felt around most men. Still, she had discovered that it was better to be seen as an investigator of delicate matters for the emperor, as opposed to having people whisper that she was the Royal assassin. It was perfectly in keeping with her role as Obersthofmeisterin to Charlotte, who needed all the help she could get these days.

Today, that involved babysitting a Diplomat as he discussed what the AA was referring to as the Grand Project with his counterparts from other nations. When the number of sheep in Northern Italy, steel production in the Ruhr or the minute details of any other commodity were discussed at mind-numbing length Kat tended to tune it out. She knew what the price of bread and cheese were. Because she had personally seen produce unloaded from boxcars countless times and grain loaded onto hopper cars in various ports, she knew there was an international dimension to those things. However, the discussions on those matters was about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Instead, Kat was sitting where she could see the entrance of the street café that the diplomats were having an informal meeting in. She was trying not to think about the tactical difficulties that this location presented. The ground floor was open, bay windows on one side and the door to the kitchen on the other. Outside was a busy street with lots of foot and vehicle traffic. She wasn’t happy about this choice of locations.

“We don’t need the tigress here today Gräfin” Herr Zeigler, the Senior Diplomat she was minding said. “We are all friends here.”

“It is not here that I am worried about” Kat replied, “It’s out there, not everyone is a friend.”

She nodded towards the street.

“The Swiss Police are more than up to the task” Zeigler said.

Kat had to struggle to keep her face from betraying what she thought about that comment. The Swiss had taken a very dim view of her bringing weapons across the border, especially after they had somehow learned what had happened the previous time she had been in Switzerland. They had made it clear that she was to have no more than what was usually appropriate for a protection detail. As for the local police, they had increased foot patrols in the neighborhood. The complacency was unnerving.

Fort Drum, New York

It was the latest gift from Langley.

The film was a war movie set somewhere in Eastern Germany during the Soviet War featuring a small band of soldiers as they retreated through urban and forested settings. It was the night’s entertainment, if one didn’t object to reading a whole lot of subtitles. To a normal American audience, the depictions of graphic violence, gore and consequences of it would truly be shocking. Particularly the part when the film showed the means by which the Soviets cleared defensive works like minefields according to whoever had produced the film.

On reflection, Jonny realized except for the last assault up the mountain in Mexico that nothing he had experienced reached the level of intensity that what was being depicted on the screen. In Mexico, he had been attacking a depleted force that was running low on food and ammunition. In the battle he was seeing depicted, one side was falling back on their own supply lines, so they had plenty of everything. Against such a force even the 10th Mountain would have had a serious problem. The Russians seemed to have thrown bodies at guns until they jammed or ran out of ammunition. Jonny didn’t know if it was German propaganda to depict the Russians as mindless hordes “led” by cruel functionaries with guns to their backs who would shoot them if they attempted to retreat. To him, that all seemed a bit extreme.

The film ended with the survivors of the outfit followed in the film crossing a bridge that was blown up in the face of the Soviet Army. It was then that the kid sister of one of the Sergeants of all people shows up with two trucks full of supplies for them, so it had a happy ending. That was when Jonny knew that the film was pure, unadulterated bullshit. There was no way that a teenage girl would be allowed to do something like that. In real life they spent the following night in a cold foxhole and had years of war still to look forward to.

“Is war really like that?” Runt asked. Jonny had forgotten the kid for a couple of hours.

“Yes and no” Jonny replied, to Runt’s complete bewilderment.

Last edited:
Jonny is someone with great instincts and common sense but he lacks in doing the research part of the job, maybe his girlfriend Gloria will clue him in.

Still loving the story and looking forward to the chapters everyday!

Kat had to struggle to keep her face from betraying what she thought about that comment. The Swiss had taken a very dim view of her bringing weapons across the border, especially after they had somehow learned what had happened the previous time she had been in Switzerland. They had made it clear that she was to have no more than what was usually appropriate for a protection detail. As for the local police, they had increased foot patrols in the neighborhood. The complacency was unnerving.

Is this foreshadowing for another big thing that would require another big shift in Kats life? I hope not completely. I think she deserves her semi-retirement. I would love to read a bit more about her working for Charlotte. Maybe something to show the contrast between her and Kira, and how that may have even changed palace life.

Jonny is someone with great instincts and common sense but he lacks in doing the research part of the job, maybe his girlfriend Gloria will clue him in.

He indeed doesn't seem to know the "big" players in the war, and how it exactly was fought. Might have been the intention of the Brass to have Parker be that for him?

The film ended with the survivors of the outfit followed in the film crossing a bridge that was blown up in the face of the Soviet Army. It was then that the kid sister of one of the Sergeants of all people shows up with two trucks full of supplies for them, so it had a happy ending. That was when Jonny knew that the film was pure, unadulterated bullshit. There was no way that a teenage girl would be allowed to do something like that. In real life they spent the following night in a cold foxhole and had years of war still to look forward to.

Oh ye of little faith.

You have met the girl in question but have yet to understand....

Well, Kat would have probably been with the retreating soldiers in the first place, and not the supply trucks.

Well, Kat would have probably been with the retreating soldiers in the first place, and not the supply trucks.
Not really? Maybe it references an earlier moment. But I believe the scene in the movie references the time after Kat has already completed the suicide mission with her SKA team, and after having been to the US with Kira, where Kira lobbied for warbond funds and Kat bought a lot stuff from the Jewish warehouse guy. She then went to the front with the stuff she bought to deliver it to Hans' unit. And since Doug was with their unit, it was most likely all well documented, and therefore usable for the movie.

It could ofcourse also reference another moment, but I believe this is the one.

Not really? Maybe it references an earlier moment. But I believe the scene in the movie references the time after Kat has already completed the suicide mission with her SKA team, and after having been to the US with Kira, where Kira lobbied for warbond funds and Kat bought a lot stuff from the Jewish warehouse guy. She then went to the front with the stuff she bought to deliver it to Hans' unit. And since Doug was with their unit, it was most likely all well documented, and therefore usable for the movie.

It could ofcourse also reference another moment, but I believe this is the one.

My belief as well. Which, you have to admit does sound like an over-the-top Hallmark movie of pure cheez.

Funny, Jonny also met the Sergant in the movie in mexico, he just had gained a few ranks as officer by then. And he met and knows the kid sister, too. Maybe he should rewatch the movie... or he failed a spot check very badly.
For a spy that's a really fatal error.

Unless the movie was a film and not real combat etc. footage.

The movie was a piece of propaganda made at a time when Germany was at it lowest point in the war and it needed a boost.
IOTL early movies made about the United States involvement in WW II had that same tone that even through the United States isn't winning yet, the United States is not defeated and with everyone doing their part in buying bonds, scrap drives, working in the factories, planting Victory Gardens, donating blood, and joining the military the outcome for victory is not in doubt.
In this case the movie is a callback to the first thread when Hans and his unit were driven back into Poland and it look like the Soviets were going to be in Berlin soon, Kat after accompanying Kira to the United States on a bond swelling tour bought a lot of things in New York City and then was able to bring it personally to Hans and his platoon.
It became well known in Germany after a certain Joseph Goebbels tried to make it look like that Kat was abusing her position for personal gain and the record was set straight by others.
Herr Goebbels was "accidentally" turned into a popsicle for his troubles.
What Kat did became an inspiration to others in Germany to send hard to get items to the troops and a drive for Care Packages from outside countries was started.