Striving for a world transformed by justice and peace - a TL from 1827

Annwyl was woken at 7 am the next morning, Friday 18 December 1875. After breakfast she asked the police sergeant if he would contact Helen Price and Angharad Griffiths and tell that she would be appearing in Swansea magistrates court later that morning. He said that he didn't know their address but Mrs Grifftiths son, Aneurin, was a reporter for the Cambrian Daily News and he would telegraph their office, asking Aneurin to send his mother a telegram. She worked at home as a self employed washer woman.

At 9 am Annwyl with the police sergeant and a police constable went in a police van to the court. They were told to wait until her case came up. Meanwhile Aneurin had received the police telegram and his mother the telegram he sent her asking her and Helen to come to the court. Helen was also at home. They arrived at the court at 10.35 am where they met Annwyl.

Last edited:
Annwyl appeared before the magistrate at 11.45 am. Angharad and Helen were in the public gallery of the court. The magistrate asked Annwyl:
"Miss Davies, do you have a solicitor to represent you in this court"

"No your honour.

Then he addressed her:

"Annwyl Davies you charged with the murder of Mr. Alfred Price on 17 December 1875. How do you plead, guilty or not guilty?"

"Not guilty, your honour, because he drove me to it."

Then he asked the police sergeant if the police had any objection to allowing Annwyl bail. He said that they had not. Then he asked if any one was prepared to be surety for her. Angharad and Helen stood up and said that they would be. The magistrate told them that bail would be £20. [1] Angharad said that they could not afford that much. The magistrate then told Annwyl she would be remanded in custody until the next Assizes.

[1] In Victorian Britain bail was between £20 and £40. See http://vcp.e2bn.org/justice/page11446-remand-or-bail.html

As the magistrate was about to leave the bench, Angharad stood up and said:
"Your honour, we can get the twenty pounds for Miss Davies' bail".

"You have until five o'clock on next Monday afternoon, the 21st of December, to hand the money in at Swansea police station. In the meantime Miss Davies will be held in Swansea prison. If you manage to raise the money she will be released and must live with you until her trial.

"Thank you, your honour."

When they left the court Helewn asked her friend where they would get the money from. Angharad said that they would ask their families and friends. [If only there was crowd funding then.] Anyway by the following Monday morning, Angharad and Helen handed in £20 at the police station, and Annwyl was released from prison later that morning.

Previously on 26 August 1875 Nia Price gave birth to a girl. She and Tom named her Tegan

The trial of Annwyl Davies for the murder of Alfred Price opened at Cardiff Assizes on 25 January 1876 before a judge and jury. [1] The defence barrister was Benjamin Williams. Because Annwyl was not in receipt of an income she qualified for legal aid. Williams had been the prosecuting counsel in the trial of the men responsible for the murder of Ifor Griffiths and the rapes of Angharad, Rhiannon and Nia in 1866. He had also defended Roderick Lewis in his trial for buggery in February 1873.

After his opening statement, the prosecution barrister opened his case by calling Henry Hussey Vivian to the witness box.

'When did you last see Mr. Price?' He asked.

'At a dinner in his house in the evening of 14 December 1875.'

'Was Miss Davies there?'

'She was.'

'How would you describe the relationship between her and Mr Price?'

'Affectionate and friendly. It was obvious that he loved her.'

'Thank you, Mr. Hussey. You may stand down now.'

[1] Cases of murder were tried at the assizes. In Glamorgan they alternated between Swansea and Cardiff with the latter sitting in the winter months.

Last edited:
The prosecution barrister then questioned Annwyl Davies who was standing in the dock.

'Did Mr. Price let you live in his house without you paying him any rent?' He asked her.

'He did'. She replied.

'Did he buy you clothes, jewellery or anything you wanted'.

'He did.'

'Did he buy you as much laudanum as you wanted.'

'He did.'

'Are you still taking laudanum?'

'I am not. Mrs Griffiths and Mrs Price will not allow me to have any in their house.'

'Was Mr. Price good to you?'

'He was.'

'Did Mr. Price love you?'

'He told me he did.'

The barrister took out letters and notes from a large envelope and showed them to her.

'These are love letters and notes he wrote to you. They were found in his house after you killed him. Why did you keep them?

'I suppose because I loved him'. Annwyl said.

'So you loved him.'

'I don't know. Sometimes I did. Sometimes I hated him.'

Then the barrister gave the envelope and its contents to the clerk of the court to give to the jury.

'Are you expecting a baby, Miss Davies?'

'I am.'

'How many months gone are you.'

'About two months'

'Is Mr. Price the father of your child?'

'He is'.

'So you and he had intimate relations.'

'We did'.

'Were these relations with your consent?

'Sometimes they were'

'When you hit Mr. Price what was he doing?'

'He was walking away from me out of the room.'

'Did you intend to kill him?'

'I did.'

'That is all Miss Davies. You may stand down now.'

'That is the case for the prosecution, your honour.' He said, addressing the judge.

'Now is a good time to adjourn for lunch. The court will reconvene at half past one.' The judge said.

It was about ten past twelve and everyone left the court room.

Last edited:
When the court reconvened after lunch, the defence barrister, Benjamin Williams called Helen Price to the witness box. After she had given her name and address he asked her:

'What was your relationship to Mr. Price.'

'I was his wife, but it is twenty-seven years since we lived together.'

'Was your marriage a happy one?'

'It was at first. I was only sixteen when I married him and he swept me off my feet. He was twelve years older than me, kind and considerate, charming and handsome. [1] For the first two or three years we had our ups and downs like all married couples, but on the whole we were happy. We loved each other. But he began to show his real nature. He wanted to control me and beat me with a stick when I disobeyed him. He got drunk on Friday nights and Saturday nights. I wanted children, but he told me that he didn't and he was not going to let me get pregnant.'

'How did Mr Price stop you conceiving.'

'When we had intimacy he used a disgusting and immoral act to stop me.'

'Do you mean the sin of Onan.'

'I do. Also he forced me to use a sponge, in case he could not control himself.' [2]

'Did he ever force himself on you?'

'He did, but he said it was not rape because I was his wife and legally he had complete rights over my body.'

'How often did he rape you?'

'At least once a week.'

'Why did you stay with him, Mrs Price?'

'In some strange way I loved him. I thought I could change him. After he had been bad to me, he was full of remorse and repentance. He used to buy me expensive presents. He kept telling me that I loved him.'

'Did he leave you or did you leave him?'

'He left me when I was six months pregnant with my son Thomas. He was furious that I had got pregnant without his permission. I hoped that he would accept our child. We were living in Llanelli. I remember we had a huge quarrel. He said I was an ugly -, he used a very rude four letter word beginning with c. Do I have to say that word?'

'You do not. I am sure the court knows what word you mean'.

'He said I was leaving me for a pretty girl in Swansea. That was in 1848. I have not seen him since he left me.'

'Did you bring up Thomas by yourself?'

'I did. He is now twenty-seven years old and married to Nia, my friend Angharad Griffiths' second eldest daughter. They have three lovely children.'

[1] Helen was born in 1822, and Alfred in 1810.

[2] By the sin of Onan Helen meant withdrawal and by sponge vaginal sponge.

Then Williams asked Helen about her encounter with Annwyl on 12 December.

'What was your impression of Miss Davies when you saw her with Mr Price?'

'She was frightened. She was very thin and I saw that she had bruises on her face.'

'Did she speak to you?'

'She said that Alfred hits her but he can't help it when he gets angry with her.

Continuation of Helen Price's testimony:

'Annwyl said that she loved Mr Price and is expecting his baby, she's about two months gone, but if he found out he will throw her out. He never let her leave the house without him. Before I could speak to Miss Davies, Mr Price interrupted and said that they live in a big house in Sketty and she needs him to buy her clothes and jewellery and all the laudanum she wants, and they live in a big house in Sketty. In return she lets me f - u - c- k her whenever I want and she does a bit of housework. [1] Then he turned to Miss Davies and told her that Mrs Griffiths and me are bad people and she must never see us again. Then he dragged her away.'

[1] The 'f' word was replaced by a dash in newspaper accounts of the trial.

'How did Miss Davies react to Mr Price dragging her away from you and Mrs Griffiths?' Benjamin Williams asked Helen.

'I could see that she was very distressed.' Helen said.

'Did you see Miss Davies again?'

'Yes I did. It was two days later in the evening when a police sergeant and a police constable went to Mr Price's house on Derwen Fawr Road to question him on assault and unlawful imprisonment of Miss Davies, Mrs Griffiths and I were with them. I saw Miss Davies in the dining room. There was a dinner party.

'How did she seem to you?'

'She was wearing expensive clothes, and jewellery. I got the impression that she was putting on an act as the charming hostess and Mr Price was showing her off to his guests'.

'Did Miss Davies see you and Mrs Griffiths?'

'She saw us standing in the hall through the dining room door. But when Mr Price looked at her angrily she turned away from us.'

'Did you say anything to Miss Davies?'

'I called out to her that it was Angharad and Helen and we had come to help her.'

'Was that the last time you saw Miss Davies?'

'It was.'

'That is all, Mrs Price. Thank you.'

Williams then cross examined Angharad Griffiths, who confirmed Helen's testimony.

Benjamin Williams then called Annwyl Davies to the witness box.

'When did you first meet Mr Alfred Price?' He asked her.

'It was nearly four years ago in march 1872. I was a dollymop then.' Annwyl said.

'What do you mean by dollymop?'

'A prostitute. He came to see me for my services. After he had seen me a few times he told me that he loved me and wanted me to live with him in his big house in Sketty.

'How old are you Miss Davies?'

'I'm twenty-five.'

'So you were twenty-one when you met Mr Price?'

'That's right'.

'He was born in 1810 so he was forty years older than you.' Williams said.

'How did Mr Price treat you?

For the first couple of years he was all lovey dovey. Then he started changing and started hitting me. Annwyl said.

Then Benjamin Williams showed Annwyl a stick and asked her:
'Is that the stick Mr Price beat you with?'

'It is.' She confirmed.

Williams asked the clerk of the court to pass the stick to the jury.

'Did Mr Price tell you why he beat you.'

He told me I was disobedient and a bad girl. But after every time he beat me he said he was very sorry and told me he loved me and we made up. He wanted to control me. He wouldn't let me leave the house without him. He wouldn't let me have a job. He wouldn't give me any money. He said that women who are living with men shouldn't work.

'Did Mr Price buy you laudanum?'

'He did. As much as I wanted.'

'Did he tell you why he did.'

'He said it was because he loved me'

'Did you stay with him because he bought you all the laudanum you wanted? Williams asked her.

'I did.' Annwyl replied.

'Do you still take laudanum'.

'Not since I have been living with Mrs Griffiths and Mrs Price.'

'In her testimony Mrs Price said that you had told her that if Mr Price had found out that you were pregnant she would throw you out.'
'How did you know that he would?

'Because he told me that he didn't want any children and that if fell pregnant he would throw me out. He said he didn't any brats around him. He had enough of them with his nephews and nieces.'

'Mrs Price said that when she and Mr Price were living together that he raped her at least once a week' Did he rape you?'

'He did'

'How often.'

'A few times a month. But most of the time we had intimacy it was because I wanted to.'

'Miss Davies, please tell the court in your own words what happened in the evening of 17 December last year'. Williams said.

'When Mr. Price arrived home he was in a very bad mood. He was in a rage and waved a copy of the local paper about.'

'The Cambrian Daily News? Williams asked her.'

'That's right'. Annwyl confirmed. 'He said that it was my fault that it printed what it did about him and me. Then he hit me hard across the face twice with his right hand. Then he started hitting me with his stick across my back, my chest, my arms and my belly. When he hit me on my belly I was terrified that it would make me lose my baby. All the time he was calling me very rude words beginning with f and c. Then he stopped and said that he would be back in a couple of minutes and when he was he would, he used that very rude word beginning with f, very very hard.'

'What do you think he meant by that?'

'That he was going to rape me'.

'What happened then?'

'Mr. Price turned round and began walking out of the room. I was terrified. I picked up a statue and hit him as hard as I could on the back of his head. He fell down and I hit him again and again until he was dead.' Annwyl said.

'Do you regret killing Mr Price?' Williams asked her.

'I wish that he had not driven me to kill him to protect myself and my baby. I was afraid that he would sooner or later hit me so much that I would lose my baby. I know that I did wrong and sinned against God by killing him. I was a good girl before I fell into bad ways. Since I've been living with Mrs Griffiths and Mrs Price I've been going to the Congregationalist chapel with them every Sunday. I have repented of my sins.'

'Have you repented of the sin of killing Mr. Price?'

'Because it was against God, I have repented of that sin. But I know that God in his infinite wisdom and mercy knows and understands why I did it.'

'That is all, Miss Davies. Thank you'.

She left the witness box.

Then the prosecution counsel made his closing speech to the jury. Basically he said that Annwyl Davies brutally and deliberately murdered Alfred Price in an unprovoked attack. In his closing speech to the jury, Benjamin Williams, said that Price had made Miss Davies' life a misery. He beat her, raped her, did not allow her to go outside without him. He controlled her life. [1] She believed that she had no alternative to protect herself and her unborn baby, but to kill Mr. Price. She willingly gave herself up to the police, because she expected that she would receive justice in a court of law. Show her that justice and acquit her.

Then the judge summed up the case. Alfred Price was a much respected citizen of Swansea. He loved Miss Davies, had rescued her from a life of immorality had given her a fine home, and all the possessions and laudanum she wanted. Though regrettably he had sometimes behaved badly towards her and towards Mrs Price, that was of no relevance to the case. It did not excuse or justify Miss Davies murdering him in a savage and unprovoked attack when he was walking away from her.

When he had finished his speech, the all male jury retired to consider their verdict. About twenty minutes later they returned to the court room. The judge asked the foreman of the jury:
'Do you find the defendant, Annwyl Davies,guilty or not guilty of the murder of Alfred Price?'

'Guilty, your honour'.

Annwyl was standing in the dock and the judge then pronounced sentence on her. He told her that she had been guilty by a jury of murder, and that in accordance with the law he had no choice but to sentence her to death by hanging. However sentence would not be carried out until after she had given birth. Until then she would be kept in prison. Police officers then led her away.

[1] Here Williams was using the defence of what we call coercive control. See http://www.cedarnetwork.org.uk/abou...at-is-domestic-abuse/what-is-coercive-control.