Streets of Detroit: Reborn

Well, if you are in the car-based truck market about that time you have the Subaru Brat or Dodge Rampage as your most likely options. The station wagon market is a very, very long one just from Detroit alone.

Sounds about right. Though I have to admit - the AMC/Renaults would have been interesting if money was REALLY tight, either that or something from GM. (Speaking of which - I don't know if you mentioned it before, but how's Opel/Vauxhall doing in TTL? Has Asüna made an appearance yet? ;) It would be interesting to see Isuzu continue on with some of its passenger car lines - if not for Japanese domestic consumption due to the bubble, then for export where some of the stuff, like the Isuzu Piazza/Geo Storm/Asüna Sunfire actually had a good reputation.)

I did, I'm just not sure where the information you want me to look up is.

All right then. I'm busy within the next couple of hours (making a request at my local library ATM) so tonight I'll write down a long PM with my synopsis with what I hope to do (and, for once, actually complete instead of letting it go through development hell).

Sounds about right. Though I have to admit - the AMC/Renaults would have been interesting if money was REALLY tight, either that or something from GM. (Speaking of which - I don't know if you mentioned it before, but how's Opel/Vauxhall doing in TTL? Has Asüna made an appearance yet? ;) It would be interesting to see Isuzu continue on with some of its passenger car lines - if not for Japanese domestic consumption due to the bubble, then for export where some of the stuff, like the Isuzu Piazza/Geo Storm/Asüna Sunfire actually had a good reputation.)

1) AMC-Renault stuff these days is excellent. They don't run right at the cutting edge of technology most of the time, but with one of their products you get a very well built, well-engineered machine that will last forever and takes advantage of Renault's fabulous platforms in smaller cars and AMC being ahead of the curve on larger ones.

2) Opel and Vauxhall have been allowed to move somewhat upmarket, namely because they share a lot of platforms now with Buick and Oldsmobile (and Holden, and to a lesser extent Alfa Romeo) and so they want the cars to be good. The Opel Omega and Senator will live on far into the future as part of GM's world car lineups. The Opel Adam will come far sooner (and be based on the same platform as a car sold by Suzuki in Japan), while the Opel Vectra will use the second-generation J-car platform from 1995 onward (the cars are the same size in wheelbase and width, so this is pretty much a natural) and the Omega and Senator will remain on the world car platforms. The Lotus-derived Vauxhall VX220 and Opel Speedster twins will be out as well, and the Calibra will be a longer-running nameplate. They also get GM's SUVs and Minivans eventually.

I'm not sure on Isuzu staying in the car market, namely because GM also owns part of Suzuki, which is a much stronger nameplate in terms of sales in Japan and Asia, particularly because of the Maruti hookup. Suzuki has a very strong position in the Kei car markets and smaller vehicles, so competing there is foolish. The same problem hits with Asüna, though that one is easier because GM of Canada has a considerable amount of clout with the Corporation as a whole, though considering that they have two brands in Europe and have Holden, I might be able to swing that one, though which brand does that take the place of, and with GM's car platforms going global and with the strong presence GM has in Canada for all of its brands, does it make any sense.

One idea on this one that occurs to me is that Isuzu consciously makes the decision to move up the automotive ladder into sportier cars, and tunes the Piazza/Impulse and Gemini accordingly, with Asüna born in Canada at the same time (1983ish) to suit this. The Auto Pact, however, makes Canadian assembly of the car a necessity, and GM's by then dying van plant in Scarborough, Ontario, gets the call and the refit to do this, with the Asüna Gemini and Impulse starting sales in Canada in 1985 and under the same models names (but not brand) in America the following year, with the Asüna Sunrunner small SUV born in 1988. GM dictates that Asüna cannot move out of the sporty car markets by this point, but at the same time pairs Asüna with Pontiac in Canada.

The bubble era sees Isuzu go a little nuts - they begin selling the Oldsmobile Aurora and Senator in Japan as Isuzus in 1988, and GM of Canada (with a little help from Lotus, of course) levers head-office into okaying the 4200R into production as a car for Asia and Europe (where the Corvette wasn't selling much at the time) and Canada. Out of respect for that, the 4200R is sold in Canada as the Asüna Entity, as opposed the Isuzu 4200R everywhere else. The tactic works, allowing Isuzu to become more of an enthusiast brand in Asia. As Asia's collective wealthy rapidly rises there during the 1990s and 2000s, Isuzu's sporty car lineup (which by 2000 is the smaller-sedan Gemini, small-coupe Impulse, larger-sedan Oracle and the 4200R supercar) combines to make GM nice profits, with the cars also being sold in Australasia and South Africa as well as Canada, with all the above models save the 4200R/Entity made at the plant in Scarborough. Isuzu and Lotus develop the Isuzu Formula One engine during the time, and Lotus 107, introduced for the 1992 Formula One season, is the first with the Isuzu V12 for power. Points in its debut and a shocking podium in its second race in Mexico are all the motivation Isuzu needs. The Lotus-Isuzu combination does well enough in 1993 and 1994 (a second place in the tragic 1994 Sam Marino GP is the best result), but the Lotus 107, 109 and 110's ability to score points consistently and the immense power of the Isuzu V12 makes GM love the program. The engines become Chevrolets for 1997.

Isuzu's car sales go nowhere (GM promoting other brands doesn't help) and so the company bails out of the North American market entirely in 1997, passing off the Rodeo and Vehicross to Asüna - the former proving more popular than GM expected and the latter a bonafide hit in Canada, so much so that GM sells it in the United States as a GMC starting in 2001. Suzuki follows Isuzu out in 2007 citing huge losses in their car divisions, passing the Swift and Kizashi (the latter becomes the newest Asüna Oracle) off to Asüna as well, which by now has sufficient clout (and enthusiastic dealers) to demand dealerships of their own. Local conditions and demands of GM of Canada make sure the cars aside from the Entity - Swift, Gemini, Impulse, Oracle, Sunrunner - are all assembled in Canada, either at a new plant in Pickering, Ontario (built in the 2000s to replace the old and surrounded by development Scarborough facility, which is subsequently closed and demolished) or at Ingersoll, and all the bodywork for these cars goes through a massive new body-stamping plant in Oshawa adjacent to the assembly facilities. (The new plant is made a necessity by redevelopment in Oshawa and facility age.)

Suzuki and Isuzu by and large consolidate their export operations by the end of the 1990s globally. The Americas prove fruitless, but Asia is a lucrative market and Europe and Africa do alright and sales of the company's products in the Americas go through GM of Canada. The 4200R / Entity is a very expensive car to buy in the 1990s, but it still sells reasonably well and was beloved by its buyers.

That work? :)

Last edited:
That could work, yes. I'm also assuming Isuzu also retains its J-car, the Aska, if only for domestic consumption and maybe potential export within Asia (and certain areas of Latin America, if Chile is anything to go by) - either alongside the Oracle or as the Oracle itself. Overall, sounds like it could work. :)

TheMann said:
because GM of Canada has a considerable amount of clout with the Corporation as a whole
I probably should have thought of this sooner...:eek: It makes me wonder if there's influence on GM design/styling from north of 49. I doubt there'd be a separate design studio, all considered:( (much as I might wish:p).
TheMann said:
Isuzu and Lotus develop the Isuzu Formula One engine
That has a weird cool about it.:cool: (I do not think of Isuzu & F1 together.;))
TheMann said:
Asüna ...which by now has sufficient clout (and enthusiastic dealers) to demand dealerships of their own
This has me thinking of early Mercury: a Canada-only brand, maybe? (Aside the Parisienne & Acadia.;))
TheMann said:
Local conditions and demands of GM of Canada make sure the cars aside from the Entity - Swift, Gemini, Impulse, Oracle, Sunrunner - are all assembled in Canada
Can you include the 4200R/Entity in that mix?:cool: Or is that impossible?:( Too costly for NAm manufacture?:(

Part 11 - For Those That Know The Score....

The 21st Century dawned with a new world opening in front of everyone. 2000 saw President Bill Clinton re-elected, though in a very, very tight race against Arizona Senator John McCain and famed Army General Colin Powell, with McCain showing that the Republicans' once-clear disdain for union voters was as dead as the dodo bird, even to the point that the UAW seriously wavered between endorsing Clinton or McCain. The dot-com boom and America's finances, which had been deep in surplus zone for all of the 1990s (peaking in 1998 with a $372 Billion federal government surplus) was leading to calls for major expansions of America's infrastructure as well as tax decreases - and in the election of 2000, this tax cuts vs. public infrastructure debate dominated much of the election, with the Republicans favoring the tax cut option and Clinton calling for the money to put towards better public infrastructure, calling it "essential to assure America's prosperity."

It was also obvious by this point that Detroit was one of the primary drivers of this prosperity. General Motors was the second-largest American exporter by dollar value (only Boeing was ahead), and the Rust Belt was back to humming along nicely - and the center of that was Detroit, whose automotive businesses had redeemed themselves, and new industries located in the Detroit area, along with growing white-collar businesses and a vibrant culture scene, was proving to be one of the better cities of the Midwest, assuming of course that one could handle the bitter cold of Detroit winters. The confidence of the time was such that GM in 1996 bought the Detroit Renaissance Center, built in 1977, and began a huge renovation of it, which was completed in 2002 at a cost of $475 million. That same year, when Sears moved out of its signature building in downtown Chicago - America's tallest commercial building - American Motors made an offer to buy the building from Sears and its co-owners in AEW Capital Management. The deal was done in May 1997, and on July 4, 1997, the Sears Tower became the American Motors Tower, and AMC moved its headquarters and offices from its old home in Kenosha, Wisconsin, to Chicago in 1997 and 1998. (Their engineering staff mostly stayed in Kenosha, though.) The building purchase, said to cost AMC $750 million, was a huge deal, and the subsequent moving in of several other companies helped the landmark property become a major deal indeed. While Ford kept their vast complex in Dearborn, in 2004 Chrysler followed GM downtown, along with Comcast (in which Chrysler retained a huge share) and built their new headquarters in Detroit in the Walter Chrysler Center on Michigan Avenue. The Chrysler complex, opened in 2007, was only for the governance and financial aspects of the industry - design, engineering and most marketing functions remained at the company's vast complex in Auburn Hills.

The dot-com boom, however, came to a major halt during 2000, causing a major slump in the electronics industry - a slump that lasted through 2000 and 2001, and resulting in some major consolidations and several big corporate failures. The slowdown in this part of the economy did, however, allow savvy investors at the bottom of the slump to buy up some big companies for small pieces - and there was no shortage of these in Detroit or among its subsidiaries. The biggest grab was Linamar Visteon's purchase of a huge chunk of then-bankrupt MCI Worldcom in 2003, integrating it into Visteon as Visteon Mobile Communications. The prize was MCI's mobile communications technology, which Visteon and Ford wanted to integrate into future cars by the automaker, aiming to rival GM's OnStar service. The Visteon Sync system began appearing on Ford cars in 2004, and spread across the lineup by 2006. But the biggest event of this era came on the morning on September 11, 2001, in New York City.

The 9/11 attacks were an event which stunned the whole world and infuriated the majority of it in equal measures. The 22-man attacks, consisting of four airliner hits on both World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon in Washington and a fourth airliner (this hijacked aircraft crashed into the Three Mile Island near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, causing a considerable amount of damage to the facility and nine lives lost at the facility but no radiation issues, it has been surmised that this aircraft was meant to crash into the US Capitol), as well as a trio of suicide bombers, hitting Michigan Central Terminal in Detroit, Chicago Union Station and the third exploding on an Amtrak Acela Express train just passing Bridesburg station in North Philadelphia. The bombers struck worst in Philadelphia, causing the Acela Express to jump the tracks at nearly 150 mph and ploy through both a SEPTA commuter train and into a Conrail freight train on the corridor, killing 211 people and injuring 725, while the bombers in Chicago and Detroit both hit minutes apart during morning Rush Hour and killed 104 and injured over 1500. All of that, of course, paled to the attacks on the Towers and the Pentagon. The overall loss was just over 3300 lives, the worst single-day death toll in American history.

The attacks caused an explosion of every emotion imaginable, and Detroit was not immune to it by any stretch. The airspace of the United States was closed suddenly as a result of the attacks, and stayed closed for six days, and two amazing events happened to this. The first was Operation Yellow Ribbon in Canada, where over 300 commercial flights headed for the United States were diverted to Canadian airports - in the most amazing case of this, the tiny town of Gander in Newfoundland took in 39 flights, with 6,600 passengers, in a town with a population of less than 10,000. The work of the Canadians amazed and impressed their sudden visitors, who in places like Gander opened their homes and their hearts to them. One of these people was GM's Vice-President, Rick Wagoner, whose Northwest flight was diverted to Gander, and where him, his wife and two daughters stayed with a local family for six days until the flight could continue to Detroit. Wagoner never forgot this - he made a point when he got to Detroit of explaining just what had happened, where he had been and the generosity and warmness of the people in the tiny town in Newfoundland. Wagoner, who became GM President in 2003, made a major donation to the building a monument to the event in Gander and was on hand when a year later, Canada's Prime Minister and others were there to state how proud they were of the response.

"One year ago, a horrible day forced myself and more than six thousand others to land in this small town, and when we did, the people here did everything they could for us and asked for nothing in return. I never would have imagined it possible had I not experienced it, and I will say this right now - I have not forgotten the people of Gander, and will not forget the people of Gander. It was a week where a small town in Newfoundland saw the world come to it, and they opened their hearts to those who needed the help. It was the best of humanity at a horrible time for us all, and I think I can say on behalf of all of my countrymen, thank you. Thank you to all of you who helped us." -- GM Vice-President Rick Wagoner, speaking in Gander, Newfoundland, on September 11, 2002

"9/11 was a shot to the heart of so many people all around the world but especially to America....Terrorism had been seen as a distant problem to Americans, something that didn't happen here, something that American prosperity made impossible and that America's tradition of being an inclusive society would make sure never became a problem we had to face. 9/11 shattered that illusion, and it made Americans realize what happened, and what had to be done to deal with it. But what perhaps showed the most to Americans was that most knew that hurting other Americans wouldn't accomplish a thing, and the few that didn't learned the hard way that everyone else knew better. Once we got over the shock, we went looking to get those responsible, and we both in the process learned a lot about ourselves and even more about the world. If there ever was a silver lining to that most horrible of days, it is that America learned much as a response to it. We couldn't really honor our lost any better." -- Illinois Senator Barack Obama, speaking at the tenth anniversary ceremony of 9/11 in Chicago, September 11, 2011

The shutdown of American airspace also caused a sudden and enormous demand for train travel, as people fought to keep on doing the travel that their lives demanded. Amtrak rose to the challenge, dragging everything they had in storage out during the day and asking for help from freight railroads, commuter rail agencies and anyone else who could help. In keeping with the spirit of the times, nearly everyone who could respond did. Freight railroads sent extra locomotives for Amtrak's usage, Ontario's GO Transit sent five entire trains of cars for Amtrak to use and numerous other agencies came to help. Faced with a massive shortage of motive power but with crews, fuel and water available, a whole bunch of steam locomotives got fired up and sent to help Amtrak as well. Once the Northeast Corridor was re-opened - Amtrak, SEPTA and Conrail repair crews, ably helped by Bechtel construction engineers and Norfolk and Western track workers, had it back open in less than 72 hours - The Northeast Corridor struggled under the load, but handled it without any further incidents, with even Amtrak's CEO and five of its board members pitching in to assist their employees on the NEC. The hurculean efforts paid off in spades. Amtrak coped with the sudden demand explosion amazingly well, hauling its normal passenger load in a month in just 60 hours. To nobody's surprise, the collapse of air travel that followed 9/11 resulted in a huge bailout in November 2001 - but in recognition of Amtrak's Hurculean efforts and acknowledging that high-speed rail had been proven viable by the Texas TGV, Amtrak got a massive $25.9 Billion capital fund and was told to get cracking on the construction of a true high-speed rail system for America. Having begun operations just four months before in May 2001, California's new High-Speed Rail System proved a godsend, a similar story to the Texas TGV. Florida's high-speed rail system, approved in a 2000 referendum, was sped up, with the goal of having a Miami-Tampa-Orlando portion of the system built by 2008. The Amtrak-run Midwestern High-Speed Rail System, having already been planned and scouted out, began construction within eight months, and its first section - the Wolverine service between Chicago and Detroit - began operations in the fall of 2006. The HSR systems in California and Texas grew dramatically in the years that followed, and the Northeast Corridor's normal passenger load grew over 25% in the year following 9/11.

In the aftermath of the attacks, even the shock of people in the Middle East was palpable - and the United States Government, justifiably enraged at those responsible, went to great lengths to point out that this was an attack by religious extremists. As if to drive the point home with a sledgehammer, when Iranian President Mohammed Khatami asked to see the site for himself on September 24, 2001, President Clinton approved the idea - and Vice-President Paul Wellstone escorted him personally, an act that would end up being one of the media scenes of the decade, a good photographer from Newsweek noting that Khatami was struggling to hold back tears seeing it all. Speaking at the White House later on, Khatami hammered a point which was to be heard many times in the coming years:

"What I saw in New York City was not the actions of men who believe in God, it was the actions of people who are the very hands of evil, the actors of Satan. Iran and the United States of America have had many, many differences in times past for many reasons, but I wanted to see the place, what you have come to call Ground Zero, to explain to people that no matter our differences and the injustices of times past, nothing could ever justify what I saw. America wants revenge for such actions, they want to bring their righteous anger to bear on those responsible for the people whose lives have been taken. I understand that fully, and I will add to that point. On behalf of all of us, the people of Iran, to hell with them, and to hell with those who would do such actions in the name of God. God will need to have mercy on them, because you have none, and neither do we." -- Iranian President Mohammed Khatami, speaking at the White House with President Clinton, October 6, 2001

It didn't take long for America to jump on the cause of taking down those who had attacked them on 9/11 - and it showed. On October 7, 2001, the first American and British forces landed in Afghanistan, seeking out and destroying the Taliban, followed by massive numbers of coalition troops. They were soon backed up by nations all over the world, And by early 2002 there were over 80 nations in support of the actions to destroy al-Qaeda and find Osama bin Laden. On February 18, 2002, America got its man - Osama's hideout in the Tora Bora mountains of eastern Afghanistan were invaded, and a combined force of United States Army Special Forces and British, Canadian and Australian Special Air Service commandos stormed Tora Bora, ably supported by Dutch Air Force Apache attack helicopters, Iranian Air Force attack aircraft and an American AC-130 gunship. Osama bin Laden was captured in the raid, as was his number two, Ayman al-Zawahiri. After a trial by Islamic law in Jerusalem, bin Laden was convicted of his crimes and sentenced to life in prison, which he would spend at the ADX Florence Supermax prison in Colorado, living there for 16 years before his death with liver failure in 2017. al-Zawahiri was brought to New York to stand trial for the 9/11 trials - and he was reportedly stunned to find a quartet of American Muslims who went to the trial every single day. Once those running the trial noticed that, they made a point of having the people sit right behind al-Zawahiri, a statement that the quartet were more than happy to play along with. Convicted of his crimes as well, the defiant al-Zawahiri was sentenced to death, and he was executed on May 15, 2005, at the Leavenworth Federal Penitantiary in Texas. The master planner of the attacks, Khalid Shiekh Mohammed, got away from Afghanistan - but he didn't get away for all that long. Busted in Karachi, Pakistan, in March 2003, he too was tried, convicted and sentenced to death for the 9/11 attacks, meeting the same fate as al-Zawahiri at the same place on June 24, 2007.

The immediate post-9/11 era saw a sudden rise in American nationalism, and Detroit, with all four of its automakers involved in Formula One and three of the four involved in international sports car racing, suddenly saw a massive growth in the following of its sports, with many people wanting to show what American cars could do. Having had an all-American team and a Georgia-built car win Le Mans in 1999, Panoz was the first to get the support, with Ford and Cosworth jumping on board with their new car for Le Mans for 2002. GM and Chrysler, both with active Le Mans programs, got a very big boost in support and calls for them to go haul ass at Le Mans in 2002, and so they went into the 2002 season with a suddenly-big following and a passionate hope for success. The same was true in Formula One - and with Jeff Gordon's finishing as runner-up to Alex Zanardi for the 2001 Formula One World Championship, the hope was that 2002 would bring success - and with new teammate Justin Wilson, the pair tore through Formula One in 2002, and despite Zanardi's best efforts at a title repeat, Gordon won his second World Championship - and made road racing hit a level of popularity not seen in America in decades.

At Le Mans, hopes were even higher. After dominating the race in 2000 and 2001, Audi suddenly found the hopes of American race fans and the dedicated efforts of three American manufacturers coming for them. The Cadillac LMP02, Panoz LMP02 Roadster II and Chrysler Patriot V were all testing heavily in the early part of the year, and the LMP02 started out fast, running the Audi R8s to the limit at the 24 Hours of Daytona - Cadillac won that - and the 12 Hours of Sebring endurance races, where mechanical problems slowed the Cadillacs as they led the race. The Panoz was not as fast, but it was bombproof reliable and its drivers took advantage of its durability to push and push hard, while the Patriot V was fast but seemingly too-fragile to be able to survive 24 Hours. The overall result was that while Audi had the early edge, they would have to work hard to keep it - and when Chrysler came away with their first IMSA win at VIR in April and Panoz then topped the Audis at Indianapolis in May, Le Mans was looking like a potentially big fight.

And so it turned out to be. The 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans was an off-weekend for NASCAR and Indycar, and Detroit brought out every great driver they could get their hands on. The Patriot V of Tim Richmond, Butch Leitzinger, Robert Evans and Memo Gidley started from the pole position and led the first two and a half hours before the Audis finally overhauled them, but the Chryslers fought on as the Cadillacs moved steadily up the order. They got a bit of luck when an errant GT car ended the day for the fastest of the Audis, causing a huge crash in the Porsche curves from which Audi driver Frank Biela thankfully walked away from. Ten hours in, the lead Cadillac, driven by Casey Mears, Kurt Busch, Al Unser Jr. and Robby Gordon, having left the Chryslers behind, overhauled the leading Audi to take the lead - a lead they would not relinquish, even as the second Chrysler retired with a blown engine and electrical problems slowed the Richmond/Leitzinger/Evans/Gidley Chrysler from contention. The lead Cadillac finished the race the best part of a lap clear of the Audi of Allan McNish, Tom Kristensen and Michele Alboreto. Third went to the Panoz Roadster driven by Mario Andretti, Michael Andretti, David Brabham and Jan Magnussen. A wild footnote to this was that all five classes in the 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans were won by North American teams or cars - with Canadian team Multimatic Motorsports and their Reynard 02S, powered by a turbocharged AMC four-cylinder engine, winning the LMP675 category, while Corvette Racing's lead team of Ron Fellows, Scott Pruett, Dale Earnhardt and Dale Earnhardt Jr. outran the rival Prodrive Ferrari 550 GTs to come away with the GT1 category win (with the Dodge Vipers proving unable to keep up with the Ferraris and the Saleen S7-Rs proving unreliable) and American team The Racers Group and their Shelby Series One GT Le Mans race cars came home with the GT2 category win. The all-American driver squad that claimed Le Mans made a point in interviews of saying that they loved the race, the fans and the sport involved and hoped that they would be back to defend their win. (They would get that wish, though they would not succeed at defending the win.)

Mn5MHT.jpg

The Cadillac LMP02 that won the 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans, being driven by Robby Gordon during the 2002 12 Hours of Sebring

klOV1j.png

The Multimatic Motorsports Reynard 02S, testing at Mosport Park in April 2002

For the Detroit automakers, beyond their success in racing, sales of Detroit cars swelled substantially as a percentage of the total market in the last quarter of 2001 and the first half of 2002. It wasn't hurt by the fact that the cars themselves were excellent, but the sense of patriotism was very real, and Detroit sought to take advantage. The Detroit makers, in particular American Motors, were in the process of introducing new models, with AMC bringing out the new Javelin, which was introduced in March 2002 and was instantly on the list of cars people wanted to drive. With a new Camaro due for 2003 and a new Challenger for 2004, It was looking like all of a sudden somebody who wanted a ponycar had a whole bunch of new choices - and Ford, which had dominated the market for years, pushed the new Mustang up to a late 2004 release in large part as a result of the new ponycars from its Detroit rivals.

In large part to the swinging rage of the Detroit makers, several of Japan's bigger players, Toyota in particular, chose to take them on head-on. One of the enduring results of this time was the baby boomers, many of them able by the 2000s to afford to have fun cars, buying up musclecars and cheaper fun cars in huge numbers. Toyota and Nissan got in on the act with the Nissan 350Z in 2003 and the Toyota Supra Mark V in 2005. By 2007, if one wanted a sporty car and had $35,000 to spend on it, they had an amazing number of choices to choose from - with Detroit alone offering the Dodge Copperhead and Challenger, Plymouth Prowler, AMC Javelin, Ford Mustang and Thunderbird, Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Fiero, with numerous good choices available from Japan and Europe.

toyotasuprafactoryversi.jpg

This great image done by Maza on DeviantArt

A 2005 Toyota Supra Mark V

"It was the fun car revolution on so many fronts that it was amazing. You could buy dozens of cars that people could have fun with, and they just kept on coming, and people kept on buying them. Nobody had any idea of all of this demand, but it was almost like all of a sudden everybody in America wanted a car that was a blast to drive. It hit the Japanese kinda suddenly....but not Detroit. They had been working on that since the Corvair, and people who grew up driving Corvairs or Cavaliers or Mark II Escorts or Sierras or Spirits had learned to drive cars with taut suspension and quick, meaty steering, the sort of car that drove nice at slower speeds but then got up and ran when you wanted it to. Tokyo had to sort that problem out, and they didn't have a lot of time to do it. To be fair, it wasn't like they had no experience at this, but they had to make up for decades of experience from Detroit." -- Sam Mitani, Those Detroit Toys and Their Magnificent Toys

Outside of the sports car and pony car markets, the world of cars was changing all over. In the 1980s, the automakers from Japan had been undercut by those from South Korea, and aside from a few abortive attempts by Yugo and Skoda in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Koreans were the bottom of the car world in terms of prices and quality - but they began moving up the order in the 1990s and 2000s, leaving another gap in the bottom of the car manufacturing world - which in 2002 was filled by the arrival of Malaysia-based car makers Proton and Perodua. In the opposite direction, however, as the world's economic growth was fairly swift in the 2000s, the market for exporting Americans grew fairly quickly, as markets like India, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa and Thailand swelled as both middle class and wealthy car makers in those nations sought to buy a greater number of automobiles. After China's return to a more isolationist stance after the problems in Tiananmen Square, the biggest beneficiaries were its poorer Asian neighbors - the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia - and then it went on to India, which had begun a major series of economic reforms begun in 1982 which by the early 2000s were bearing quite a lot of fruit. AMC in particular, using connections through Nissan, invested substantially in India in the 2000s for local production of a number of smaller cars, with GM and Ford not far back. But perhaps the biggest investment of all by any of the Detroit makers came in South Africa.

After apartheid's fall in 1994, South Africa's government sought new foreign investment to further industrial development, and they did fairly well at first - but scored big in 1997, when a group of South Africa's wealthiest investors formed the Reynard Motor Corporation, with famed racing car designer Adrian Reynard giving his name to the venture and South Africa's most famous auto engineer, Formula One legend Gordon Murray, being given the job of lead designer. Chrysler and Peugeot signed on to support the venture, and Reynard and Murray designed four great little cars - the Chaser microcar, Bobcat pickup truck, Fortuna small van and the small Kalahari sports car, all four of which with an MSRP of under $18,000. All were instant successes in South Africa and were soon being exported to Europe, making a name for their being much better-built than most cars in the price range. In 2005, Chrysler and Peugeot bought into the company, including the selling of the Chaser, Fortuna and Bobcat in North America, as all three filled holes in Chrysler's north American market which they had not filled themselves. The success of the Reynard efforts and a number of other efforts led to growing macroeconomic success in Southern Africa in the 1990s and 2000s, creating another market where Chrysler (through Reynard) and Ford (which was one of the last American companies to divest from South Africa in 1988 and one of the first to return in 1991) had an early edge, though Volkswagen, the Japanese and Koreans fought their way in and did well themselves. At the other end of the scale, Chrysler's 1990s refurbishments of their Lamborghini and Maserati divisions was joined by a third acquisition by Chrysler's life-long engineer (and highly imaginative) boss Robert Eaton, Chrysler buying the nearly-bankrupt French sports car maker Venturi in 1999, a move that saved Venturi from bankruptcy (at little cost to Chrysler - the purchase price was just over eight million Euros for the lot) and added another gem to Chrysler's vast crown of prestige marques, a list they added to in 2004 with the reintroduction of the Imperial nameplate on the company's new flagship luxury sedan. Again, Peugeot-Citroen was not out of involvement - the same platform would be used for Citroen's flagship Metropolis four years later - but the Chrysler Imperial came out just as Cadillac's mighty Sixteen did, and both cars clearly were aimed at each other as much as anything from Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Mercedes-Benz, Audi or Lexus.

Another major effect of technological advancement was every other automaker working to chase down the lead held by Toyota, Honda and GM in electric car technology. Ford brought out an electric version of its Focus hatchback in 2006, which was based on the Focus floorpan and basic body style, though that was about where the similarities ended. By 2006, GM had sold over 30,000 EV1s and 200,000 Volts, and a second generation of both cars was on the way, with the second-gen Volt introduced in 2007 and the new EV1 planned for a 2010 launch. Ford's Focus Electric, however, was a direct threat to the EV1, and Nissan's Leaf, which hit the road in 2007, was another such advancement. Both were aimed to combine electric-car friendliness to the environment with being far more usable and versatile than the EV1, though the additional weight and size of the Focus Electric and Leaf meant that it didn't have the EV1 performance or range. Despite that, however, the electric cars in question still sold in considerable numbers, and by the end of the decade, both would have outsold the EV1. On the other end of the scale was one of the first hybrid cars, the California-built Fisker Karma, which used AMC gas engines, Canadian Western Electric electric motors and Panasonic batteries, along with high-end superconducting wiring for the car, a carbon-fiber body and a neat interior, using environmentally-friendly interiors. The Karma, launched to considerable acclaim at the 2006 Detroit International Auto Show, was first delivered to customers in the fall of 2008.

9qiY4q.jpg

A 2005 Ford Focus Electric

fiskersurf20131600x1200.jpg

A 2010 Fisker Karma Surf station wagon

"The Reynard-Chrysler friendship is not the first marriage of American and South African business interests, and not even the first in cars, but it is noteworthy for a lot of right reasons, namely the fact that it means Chrysler and Peugeot are committed to making sure they have a full line-up of excellent cars to sell. It can't hardly be a bad thing for there to be sufficient cars for an customer to choose exactly what they want, and with a Chaser starting at $9,000 all the way up to a Viper that costs over $80,000, it might be best said that Chrysler now has the most full lineup of cars of any of the American automakers." -- Autoweek Magazine on the entry of Reynard cars to North American markets, July 2007

"When it comes to the Americas, Western Europe, Australia and much of the Americas, the growth of the car market is entirely dependent on economic growth and can't really race forward. We know that at General Motors, and while we will always make cars that the American public will want to buy, the car world doesn't begin and end with the borders of the developed world. For two decades, prosperity has been the order of the day in much of the world, and we want to be part of that prosperity all across the world, including in those places which don't yet, but may one day, have the natural bounty for which Americans take for granted. The world is changing, and America's car makers will be best served by choosing to change with it." -- Rick Wagoner, GM President, talking to Newsweek magazine in June 2007

9/11 was a horrible event, but if anything, so many of the actions of the post-9/11 era, combined with President Clinton's deft maneuvering of international politics and his working with the Arab world after that, led to America's image in the Middle East improving - and with it came both greater prosperity, greater justice for the dead of the 9/11 attacks and, most of all, a sense that the future would indeed be that much better than the past. In what was now one of America's better cities, the Detroit automakers and their legions of engineers, office towers full of marketers and huge factories full of guys building the cars, were right on the front edge of this wave of optimism. It didn't exactly miss anybody's notice that the 2000s, which fused a sudden interest in the world around them (driven more than anything by a desire to kick ass at everything possible) with the internet and a greater-than-ever-before ability to go out and discover the world from the comfort of one's couch. This was not just true in the United States, of course, but if anything the natural tendency of Americans to be optimistic and adventurous combined with the country's growing wealth (particularly in its middle classes), and it manifested itself in changing attitudes about foreign cars in North America, and in many ways it contributed to many of the renaissances many smaller brands in North America had in the 2000s, and one which Detroit in many cases through ownership of the companies benefitted from, and with profitability not even remotely an issue for any of the firms involved the luxury and sporting companies connected to the Detroit makers prospered during the 1990s and 2000s. The quarter-million-dollar Cadillac Sixteen and Chrysler Imperial weren't even the end of the push for either GM of Chrysler, as the rival Cadillac Cien and Chrysler ME-412 supercar concepts showed (Both were made available for special orders, and ultimately 44 Ciens and 30 ME-412s were built for customers) and it showed in the concept cars both produced. Maserati celebrated its rebirth under Chrysler by replacing the flawed 3200GT and 4200GT sports coupes with the excellent Quattroporte V sedan and the jaw-dropping Gran Turismo GT car in 2002 and 2004 and capped it off in 2007 at the North American International Auto Show with the truly stunning Maserati Birdcage concept supercar, while Venturi's Atlantique sports car began being sold in select exotic car dealers in America in 2001. (Eventually, Lamborghini, Maserati and Venturi began selling cars out of their own exclusive dealerships starting in 2007.)

In the everyday car fields, the cars got more interesting as well. Traffic and fuel economy concerns in the 2000s did begin to drive consumers into smaller cars, blunting the SUV boom by 2003 - though these vehicles got a second wind in the development of the 'crossover' SUV category in the mid-2000s. Chrysler's brave decision to expand the use of its excellent rear-drive LH platform to the Dodge Charger in 1997 didn't hurt, and when the second-generation Charger came in 2003, it came with a wagon derivative in the Dodge Magnum. GM had eventually dumped its rather-boring Chevrolet Lumina for the much-better Malibu in 2003, but even that didn't get far, and it would be revamped again in 2006. Ford was the same, developing a medium-size replacement for the Ford Mondeo (which had been sold in North America as the Ford Contour, without much success) in the Ford Fusion, which debuted in 2005 to wide acclaim. The Fusion and Mondeo would be put on the same platform (and with many similarities in styling) starting in 2011. Ford's car lineup in Europe had by this point almost entirely migrated to North America, and with the Fiesta and Focus hatchbacks and the Puma small coupe being bonafide hits, the company leveled out its global lineups by the end of the 2000s, with a Fiesta-Focus-Fusion/Mondeo-Taurus-Falcon car lineup. AMC-Renault-Nissan had got the point, too - the new AMC Medallion introduced in 2002 shared the same platform as the 2003 Nissan Altima, and in both cases the sporty-handling sedans allowed the buyer to chose what drivetrain they wanted from mild to wild to totally nuts - the Altima SE-R / Medallion X twins, introduced in the summer of 2004, had a 344-horsepower Roots-supercharged version of the Nissan VQ35 V6 and boasted 0-60 times in the high five-second range, and came only with a six-speed manual gearbox. Renault's small cars of the time also got more than a few chili peppers shoved up their exhaust pipes, not really a problem in particular for the Renault Clio, whose sporty versions (along with the Acura Integra, Ford Puma, Mazda RX-8 and Asüna Impulse) were the benchmarks of smaller sporty cars. Indeed, so many of these existed by the mid-2000s that everyone who didn't have such a car quickly developed one, and just as with other smaller cult icons of the past, a whole generation of drivers grew up in them, and it showed in the tastes of many of these drivers. Long accustomed to the idea that bigger-is-better in cars, by the 2000s all in Detroit had realized that better-is-better, and that a whole generation of enthusiastic drivers of affordable pocket rockets made sure that they needed to keep making those cars to keep appealing to their drivers.

MdRb0f.jpg

The 2005 Nissan Altima SE-R

HrMig7.jpg

A UK-market 2000 Ford Racing Puma - US models are nearly identical

The development of cities in modern America had seen untold changes in recent times, and by the 1970s it had become apparent that the vest sprawl that had dominated American urban development since World War II wasn't working. A handful of major cities took that to heart then and sought to change it, this being particularly notable in densely-populated or land-poor metropolises such as New York City, San Francisco and Seattle and environmentally-minded ones like Portland. But by the 1980s, everybody knew of the problems, and when combined with massive private-sector led urban renewal efforts that began in the first half of the 1980s, it over time led to a total re-alignment of many transportation realities for American cities. The idea of publicly-run heavy commuter rail had begun with Toronto's GO Transit in 1967, but it hadn't taken long for the idea of big commuter trains to stations with wider parking lots in the suburbs to take hold in numerous cities. Combined with many subway and light-rail systems, it made for a revolution in transit development during the 1980s onwards, and even such widespread cities as Houston, Dallas, Detroit and Los Angeles took it to heart. By the 2000s, this manifested itself in far fewer cities that forced one to become a car driver just to have a decent quality of life, and the fact that America's crime rate began to tumble in the 1980s and never really stopped - by 2005, the property crime rate in America was less than a third of what it had been twenty years before - made the centers of cities more hospitable and appealing, if for no other reason than the ability to spend far less of one's life commuting to work. This, in turn, changed the American car market. But what it didn't change too much was the people who built cars for it. With GM, Chrysler and AMC all involved in the locomotive business, it didn't exactly hurt many in Detroit to have mass transit be a much more important portion of American cities, and indeed a vast number of those who took trains or buses to work would happily admit that they drove cars on their errands and in their daily lives and that they took the train to avoid traffic and relax some on their way to work.

Every Detroit maker by now had a long list of performance car legends - the Corvette had been a constant, the Viper a constant since 1991, the Escort RS2000, Fiesta XR3i, Eagle SX/4 and Dodge Shelby Daytona of the early 1980s, the ever-faster musclecars of the late 1980s along with the Fiero and Ford's Cosworth cars of the time and the list of the great cars of the 1990s - from the cheaper-but-still-awesome Dodge Copperhead, the French hot hatches of the 1990s that Detroit built stateside in the Renault Clio Williams and the Peugeot 306 GTi-6 and 106 GTi to the four-car pony car wars by the end of the 1990s, along with the exotic cars - the Corvette and Viper were joined by the Ford GT in 2005, while the Shelby Series One, DeLorean M15, Panoz AIV and Vector M12 added the small-maker touch to the market, with the Saleen S7 taking Ford's legendary Mustang tuner into a genuine car maker. Cars were a passion for some, but the development of better transportation and a wealthier average population turned the automakers all into purveyors of fun cars at all cars, and made sure that no matter what one bought, they enjoyed driving it....

Last edited:
That could work, yes. I'm also assuming Isuzu also retains its J-car, the Aska, if only for domestic consumption and maybe potential export within Asia (and certain areas of Latin America, if Chile is anything to go by) - either alongside the Oracle or as the Oracle itself. Overall, sounds like it could work. :)

I had the Aska be Asia-only namely because Holden gets its own version. That's not really gonna change because Chevrolet and Pontiac would go bananas if they did import the Aska. I am gonna have the NAVi5 gearbox make it into Asüna cars for a while, though.

I probably should have thought of this sooner...:eek: It makes me wonder if there's influence on GM design/styling from north of 49. I doubt there'd be a separate design studio, all considered:( (much as I might wish:p).

You think I would have GM of Canada have influence like this and not have a Canadian design studio? Nooooope. :D General Motors Canada Design has two campuses, one in North Vancouver, British Columbia and the other in Oshawa, Ontario.

That has a weird cool about it.:cool: (I do not think of Isuzu & F1 together.;))

Isuzu developed the engine IOTL, and in fact for a first crack at an F1 engine it was an excellent result. Here, Isuzu has sufficient clout to get the F1 engine program going, and once it is going, Lotus loves it to death (it is a vast improvement on the Cosworth HB V8s they had been using before the Isuzu program) and GM HQ decides against killing a program like it that is actually getting somewhere at relatively little cost to the company.

Can you include the 4200R/Entity in that mix?:cool: Or is that impossible?:( Too costly for NAm manufacture?:(

Not enough demand in North America to justify the cost of developing the ability to make a car as complex as the 4200R/Entity in Canada.

TheMann said:
You think I would have GM of Canada have influence like this and not have a Canadian design studio? Nooooope. :D General Motors Canada Design has two campuses, one in North Vancouver, British Columbia and the other in Oshawa, Ontario.
With the small size of the Canadian market, & the similarity to the U.S. for conditions & temperament, that really surprises me. Also, tho::cool::cool:
TheMann said:
Isuzu developed the engine IOTL
I did not know about that.:eek:
TheMann said:
Not enough demand in North America to justify the cost of developing the ability to make a car as complex as the 4200R/Entity in Canada.
:( (But only a little. I expected as much.)​
Part 11 - For Those That Know The Score....
Well done, as always.;)
TheMann said:
peaking in 1998 with a $372 Billion federal government surplus
:cool:
TheMann said:
General Motors was the second-largest American exporter by dollar value (only Boeing was ahead)
:eek::cool:
TheMann said:
bitter cold of Detroit winters
Bah, what a bunch of weenies.:p
TheMann said:
the Sears Tower became the American Motors Tower
:eek: Wow. I don't quite know what to say. That's quite a move. I do like it.:cool:
TheMann said:
The 9/11 attacks were an event which stunned the whole world and infuriated the majority of it in equal measures. The 22-man attacks, consisting of four airliner hits on both World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon in Washington and a fourth airliner (this hijacked aircraft crashed into the Three Mile Island near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, causing a considerable amount of damage to the facility and nine lives lost at the facility but no radiation issues, it has been surmised that this aircraft was meant to crash into the US Capitol), as well as a trio of suicide bombers, hitting Michigan Central Terminal in Detroit, Chicago Union Station and the third exploding on an Amtrak Acela Express train just passing Bridesburg station in North Philadelphia. The bombers struck worst in Philadelphia, causing the Acela Express to jump the tracks at nearly 150 mph and ploy through both a SEPTA commuter train and into a Conrail freight train on the corridor, killing 211 people and injuring 725, while the bombers in Chicago and Detroit both hit minutes apart during morning Rush Hour and killed 104 and injured over 1500. All of that, of course, paled to the attacks on the Towers and the Pentagon. The overall loss was just over 3300 lives, the worst single-day death toll in American history.
Nicely handled.:cool: (I will say, part of me wishes somebody would have CIA & FBI actually talk & stop it...seeing they were this close to being able to.)​
TheMann said:
California's new High-Speed Rail System
Los Angeles-San Francisco, I presume. I'm far from sure that makes economic sense. (I could well be mistaken.:eek:) Los Angeles-Vegas or San Fran-Reno, yes.​
TheMann said:
Wolverine service between Chicago and Detroit
Is CN going to ignore this & not build a Windsor-Toronto-Montreal link?:rolleyes: (BTW, I can't help feeling a certain irony that Wolverine is taking over other people's TLs, too.:p)​
TheMann said:
As if to drive the point home with a sledgehammer, when Iranian President Mohammed Khatami asked to see the site for himself on September 24, 2001, President Clinton approved the idea - and Vice-President Paul Wellstone escorted him personally
Bravo.:cool::cool: This is something OTL Bush blrew badly. He had the opportunity to isolate terrorists using religious excuses of all stripes, & didn't take it.:mad: (IMO, TTL's Clinton could & should do much the same: be they Islamists in Palestine or Catholics & Protestants in Ulster, they're behaving like barbarians & should be treated as such.)​
TheMann said:
British, Canadian and Australian Special Air Service commandos
I'm presuming you meant SAS, but I'm unaware of a Canadian equivalent. Last I heard, SSF was long ago disbanded.​
TheMann said:
After a trial by Islamic law in Jerusalem, bin Laden was convicted
That is a masterful touch. Bravo.:cool::cool::cool:
TheMann said:
reportedly stunned to find a quartet of American Muslims who went to the trial every single day
Another nice touch:cool:--but none on the jury?:(
TheMann said:
The immediate post-9/11 era ...suddenly saw a massive growth in the following of its sports
I would not have predicted that. Well done, again.:cool:
TheMann said:
A wild footnote to this was that all five classes in the 2002 24 Hours of Le Mans were won by North American teams or cars - with Canadian team Multimatic Motorsports and their Reynard 02S, powered by a turbocharged AMC four-cylinder engine, winning the LMP675 category
Bravo, again.:cool: Especially for the Canadian connection.:cool::cool: Adding AMC to that...:cool::cool::cool:
TheMann said:
Chaser microcar, Bobcat pickup truck, Fortuna small van and the small Kalahari sports car
All considered, I wonder why the pickup isn't the Kalahari & the sports car the Bobcat.:confused: And how they avoid trademark infringement suits from Ford.:confused:
TheMann said:
Volkswagen
I just thought of this: what happened to the VR6? And to that X12 VW was working on?​
TheMann said:
Canadian Western Electric
I thought WE had long ago disappeared.​
TheMann said:
rather-boring Chevrolet Lumina for the much-better Malibu
Personally, I prefer the Lumina (despite the stupid name) to the Malibu, which is ugly...​
TheMann said:
made sure that no matter what one bought, they enjoyed driving it....
Don't you wish Detroit would do that for real?::(

With the small size of the Canadian market, & the similarity to the U.S. for conditions & temperament, that really surprises me. Also, tho::cool::cool:

Canada isn't that small of a market - 35 million people, and really only a handful of even semi-domestic makers. I am largely following the The Land of Milk and Honey events, and in that world Canada is one of the world's richest nations in per capita income, with the country not only having a large and highly-competitive industrial sector (primarily focused on niche electronics, automobiles, aircraft, trains and rail cars, precision instruments and metals) and having spent decades channeling a sizable portion of the resources wealth the country has into vast funds meant to be the money for after the resources run out and which in the meantime provides Ottawa and the provinces with a sizable amount of influence over many companies. So, in addition to highly-advanced infrastructure, the country has a LOT of money (talking $4 Trillion plus as of 2015) available to be used on projects.

That in mind, one idea I have is that the Canadian and Ontario governments use a sizable portion of that money to own stocks in GM of Canada (one of the country's largest industrial employers both ITTL and IOTL), thus when they want to have GM have a powerful Canadian division and Canadian design studios, they get what they want so long as these divisions are profitable to the company, which they are.

:eek: Wow. I don't quite know what to say. That's quite a move. I do like it.:cool:

More than anything, the move of the company to Chicago and the Sears Tower is a symbol of how much money AMC is making, and since ITTL most of their Midwestern operations in in Wisconsin, Illinois and northern Indiana, Chicago makes a fair bit of sense from an operational perspective. And being able to buy the tower at a steep discount from Sears didn't hurt matters, either. :cool:

Nicely handled.:cool: (I will say, part of me wishes somebody would have CIA & FBI actually talk & stop it...seeing they were this close to being able to.)

I see your point, but 9/11 has the ability to change the world in ways not seen since World War II. In this world, Israel and the Palestinians (along with Egypt and Jordan) have been at peace since 1981, and the Shah of Iran saw trouble coming long before it hit and as a result while the first half of the 1980s was chaotic in Iran, the democratic forces of the country defeated the mullahs, and Iran is a fairly good ally of the West in this world. That fact effectively allows Iran to supplant the Saudis as the West's friends in that part of the world, and they sorta push several other countries (Lebanon and Syria in particular) to work with the West as well. 9/11 is seen as a declaration of war by terrorists against modern civilization, but the War on Terror is NOT going to have the response of OTL, as you have already seen some of.

Los Angeles-San Francisco, I presume. I'm far from sure that makes economic sense. (I could well be mistaken.:eek:) Los Angeles-Vegas or San Fran-Reno, yes.

The portions operational in September 2001 ran from Los Angeles to San Francisco via the Valley over Newhall and Tejon passes, as well as the Los Angeles-Las Vegas line which runs east from LA through San Bernardino and over Cajon Pass. The main line from Tejon Pass runs northwest through the San Joaquin Valley to Modesto, then goes over Altamont Pass to the Bay Area at Fremont before looping around to San Jose and up the Peninsula to San Francisco. (This route isn't the most direct, but its cheaper and easier to build than a coastal routes and serves far more people along the way.) The future lines will run from Fremont north and northeast through Oakland, Berkeley and Vallejo to Sacramento, a line north from Modesto to Redding via Stockton and Sacramento, south from Los Angeles to San Diego largely following the Pacific Surfliner route, though the line is different between Anaheim and Los Angeles because of a wish to serve Long Beach. Turbine-powered feeder trains part of the routes will run from San Francisco south to Salinas and Monterey, as well as from Sacramento northeast to Reno through Donner Pass and from Los Angeles along the coast to San Luis Obispo.

The line is easily economically viable - the combined population of the Los Angeles metropolitan area and the San Francisco Bay area IOTL is about 26 million, and air travel between the two is one of the busiest markets in the Western Hemisphere. Construction cost between Bakersfield and Santa Clarita is gonna be very high, but the benefit of that route is knocking at least a hundred miles off the OTL proposal which goes over Cajon and Tehachapi passes.

Is CN going to ignore this & not build a Windsor-Toronto-Montreal link?:rolleyes:

Hell no. :D VIA Rail's St. Lawrence River HSR project, known colloquially as VIAFast, will begin operations in 2008 from London to Montreal via Woodstock, Kitchener, Guelph, Brampton, Toronto, Oshawa, Port Hope, Trenton, Kingston, Gananoque, Brockville and Cornwall. Stretching to Windsor will be finished in 2011, with Detroit being available with the completion of the Gordie Howe bridge in 2014. The line in the meantime will also go north from Montreal to Ottawa running largely parallel to Highway 417, Ottawa to Montreal along the Ottawa River, and from Montreal to Chicoutimi via Quebec City along the St. Lawrence through Trois-Rivieres. Once Amtrak finishes its Empire Corridor, another line will run from Toronto through Hamilton and St. Catharines to Niagara Falls and Buffalo. In both cases, the massive Michigan Central Terminal and Buffalo Union Station stations will be the connection points for the HSR lines.

Bravo.:cool::cool: This is something OTL Bush blrew badly. He had the opportunity to isolate terrorists using religious excuses of all stripes, & didn't take it.:mad: (IMO, TTL's Clinton could & should do much the same: be they Islamists in Palestine or Catholics & Protestants in Ulster, they're behaving like barbarians & should be treated as such.)

See above.

I'm presuming you meant SAS, but I'm unaware of a Canadian equivalent. Last I heard, SSF was long ago disbanded.

I created a Canadian Special Air Service just for the rule of cool. :D

Bravo, again.:cool: Especially for the Canadian connection.:cool::cool: Adding AMC to that...:cool::cool::cool:

Multimatic IOTL was the LMP675 winner in the 2000 Le Mans, but it was kinda a hollow win, as they finished in 25th place 94 laps behind the winner, and only one other car in class finished. Here, they got class win number two much more convincingly.

All considered, I wonder why the pickup isn't the Kalahari & the sports car the Bobcat.:confused: And how they avoid trademark infringement suits from Ford.:confused:

It's just the way I figured it. Kalahari just sounds better for a sports car. And no trademark infringement from Ford because the Pinto sold so poorly that they never made a Mercury version of it.

I just thought of this: what happened to the VR6? And to that X12 VW was working on?

OTL for the VR6, pretty much. The W12 got made as well, namely used in the Volkswagen Phaeton and Touraeg and high-end Audis.

I thought WE had long ago disappeared.

The company was sold off as part of the Bell System break-up in 1984 and bought by Canadian investors namely for the engineering assets. AT&T's computer divisions' failures in the early 1990s led to them being bought by the company, which was re-established as Canadian-American company (including keeping many of the works they had in the United States) focusing on the production of electrical components. Western Electric did famously well at this, so much so that the company's sales rose dramatically in the 1980s and 1990s simply because of their products extraordinary durability. Today, they supply all kinda of electrical equipment, and make all of it in the United States of Canada.

Personally, I prefer the Lumina (despite the stupid name) to the Malibu, which is ugly...

I'm not sure how close to OTL the design is - I've been looking at alternative designs for what the Malibu could look like.

Don't you wish Detroit would do that for real?:(

But of course. But then again, you knew that already. :)

TheMann said:
Canada isn't that small of a market - 35 million people, and really only a handful of even semi-domestic makers. I am largely following the The Land of Milk and Honey events, and in that world Canada is one of the world's richest nations in per capita income, with the country not only having a large and highly-competitive industrial sector (primarily focused on niche electronics, automobiles, aircraft, trains and rail cars, precision instruments and metals) and having spent decades channeling a sizable portion of the resources wealth the country has into vast funds meant to be the money for after the resources run out and which in the meantime provides Ottawa and the provinces with a sizable amount of influence over many companies. So, in addition to highly-advanced infrastructure, the country has a LOT of money (talking $4 Trillion plus as of 2015) available to be used on projects.

That in mind, one idea I have is that the Canadian and Ontario governments use a sizable portion of that money to own stocks in GM of Canada (one of the country's largest industrial employers both ITTL and IOTL), thus when they want to have GM have a powerful Canadian division and Canadian design studios, they get what they want so long as these divisions are profitable to the company, which they are.
It works.:)
TheMann said:
More than anything, the move of the company to Chicago and the Sears Tower is a symbol of how much money AMC is making, and since ITTL most of their Midwestern operations in in Wisconsin, Illinois and northern Indiana, Chicago makes a fair bit of sense from an operational perspective. And being able to buy the tower at a steep discount from Sears didn't hurt matters, either. :cool:
It never hurts when there's a discount.;) And I got the other part. It's still a boggler.
TheMann said:
I see your point, but 9/11 has the ability to change the world in ways not seen since World War II. In this world, Israel and the Palestinians (along with Egypt and Jordan) have been at peace since 1981, and the Shah of Iran saw trouble coming long before it hit and as a result while the first half of the 1980s was chaotic in Iran, the democratic forces of the country defeated the mullahs, and Iran is a fairly good ally of the West in this world. That fact effectively allows Iran to supplant the Saudis as the West's friends in that part of the world, and they sorta push several other countries (Lebanon and Syria in particular) to work with the West as well. 9/11 is seen as a declaration of war by terrorists against modern civilization, but the War on Terror is NOT going to have the response of OTL, as you have already seen some of.
It's handled marvellously, don't get me wrong. It's just the variety I'd like. Or maybe I prefer a more peaceful world overall.;) (This coming from a guy who'd prevent "SW" by getting George in a fatal car wreck.:rolleyes::p And crimp Shirley's career with an arrest over another one.:eek:)
TheMann said:
The portions operational in September 2001 ran from Los Angeles to San Francisco via the Valley over Newhall and Tejon passes, as well as the Los Angeles-Las Vegas line which runs east from LA through San Bernardino and over Cajon Pass. The main line from Tejon Pass runs northwest through the San Joaquin Valley to Modesto, then goes over Altamont Pass to the Bay Area at Fremont before looping around to San Jose and up the Peninsula to San Francisco. (This route isn't the most direct, but its cheaper and easier to build than a coastal routes and serves far more people along the way.) The future lines will run from Fremont north and northeast through Oakland, Berkeley and Vallejo to Sacramento, a line north from Modesto to Redding via Stockton and Sacramento, south from Los Angeles to San Diego largely following the Pacific Surfliner route, though the line is different between Anaheim and Los Angeles because of a wish to serve Long Beach. Turbine-powered feeder trains part of the routes will run from San Francisco south to Salinas and Monterey, as well as from Sacramento northeast to Reno through Donner Pass and from Los Angeles along the coast to San Luis Obispo.

The line is easily economically viable - the combined population of the Los Angeles metropolitan area and the San Francisco Bay area IOTL is about 26 million, and air travel between the two is one of the busiest markets in the Western Hemisphere. Construction cost between Bakersfield and Santa Clarita is gonna be very high, but the benefit of that route is knocking at least a hundred miles off the OTL proposal which goes over Cajon and Tehachapi passes.
The route makes eminent sense, & I have no argument over your analysis. My ignorance is showing...:eek:
TheMann said:
:)
TheMann said:
:rolleyes: I guess it beats CanFast.:rolleyes::p
TheMann said:
London to Montreal via Woodstock, Kitchener, Guelph, Brampton, Toronto, Oshawa, Port Hope, Trenton, Kingston, Gananoque, Brockville and Cornwall. Stretching to Windsor will be finished in 2011, with Detroit being available with the completion of the Gordie Howe bridge in 2014. The line in the meantime will also go north from Montreal to Ottawa running largely parallel to Highway 417, Ottawa to Montreal along the Ottawa River, and from Montreal to Chicoutimi via Quebec City along the St. Lawrence through Trois-Rivieres.
I'll bow to your research, but some of those look like kind of long runs for what I'd think of as optimum HSR. In any case, it's a good idea.​
TheMann said:
I created a Canadian Special Air Service just for the rule of cool. :D
That's a good reason.:p
TheMann said:
Multimatic IOTL was the LMP675 winner in the 2000 Le Mans, but it was kinda a hollow win, as they finished in 25th place 94 laps behind the winner, and only one other car in class finished. Here, they got class win number two much more convincingly.
:cool:
TheMann said:
It's just the way I figured it. Kalahari just sounds better for a sports car. And no trademark infringement from Ford because the Pinto sold so poorly that they never made a Mercury version of it.
The Pinto explains. The other's a matter of choice; I'd have flipped them.:)
TheMann said:
OTL for the VR6, pretty much. The W12 got made as well, namely used in the Volkswagen Phaeton and Touraeg and high-end Audis.
Of everything you've done, the only thing I regret is your not giving the VR6 the hot rod treatment.:( (I do love the VR6.) It's a small regret, in all.:)
TheMann said:
The company was sold off as part of the Bell System break-up in 1984 and bought by Canadian investors namely for the engineering assets. AT&T's computer divisions' failures in the early 1990s led to them being bought by the company, which was re-established as Canadian-American company (including keeping many of the works they had in the United States) focusing on the production of electrical components. Western Electric did famously well at this, so much so that the company's sales rose dramatically in the 1980s and 1990s simply because of their products extraordinary durability. Today, they supply all kinda of electrical equipment, and make all of it in the United States of Canada.
Bravo again, then.:cool:
TheMann said:
I'm not sure how close to OTL the design is - I've been looking at alternative designs for what the Malibu could look like.
TBH, almost anything would be better than the OTL Malibu. (I'm very much not a fan of the current trend to "catseye" headlights & funny angles...:()
TheMann said:
But of course. But then again, you knew that already. :)
Yeah.;) Doesn't mean I don't still wish you'd been in charge.:)

Part 12: If You Want to Improve the Breed, You Go Racing

"Throughout the history of the automobile, the place where innovation has been born is on the race track. Racing cars is all about who has the advantage, and there is only two ways to get that - driver skill or technical advancement, or some combination of both. When you want to win, you work to get better, and when people have a goal, they make things happen. It is what has driven car enthusiasts since the very beginning." -- Steve Matchett, The Chariot Makers, 2004

America presents a unique motorsport scene, in large part due to a number of factors that combine to making racing there unique. From the very beginning, American racing was born on oval tracks, namely the dirt ones which for a century in many cases had already seen horses and their riders tearing around them in search of greater speed. In Europe, by contrast, racing began with open road races on closed public roads, a way of racing which existed to considerable degrees until the 1960s (and at certain places, like the 24 Hours of Le Mans, endures to this day) and which necessitated a rather different evolution of the racing automobile. The fact that American cars evolved over time to suit America's wide-designed cities, economic prosperity, cheap fuel prices and vast open country all contributed to American cars becoming by the 1950s enormous machines, mechanically unsophisticated but incredibly durable, a scenario that applied to racing cars as well, where such cars began to be used in racing themselves.

America's favorite forms of racing, Indycar Racing and Stock Car Racing, both began from humble beginnings. The Indianapolis 500, for example, was originally born in 1911 and was little different from European racing, aside from the rectangluar-shape permanent circuit it was run on. NASCAR cars were originally tuned-up versions of ordinary Detroit cars, a fact that would remain through both rules and custom until the 1970s. Indycars evolved by the 1930s into the classic Indy "Roadster" and its almost-ubiquitous Offenhauser four-cylinder engine, an engine that was mechanically quite simple but anvil-tough and in turbocharged form would remain racing until well into the 1970s itself. But over time, particularly after World War II, the world's getting increasingly smaller through the use of telephone communications and commercial aviation made things change quite a lot. They were already changing before then, of course, but the closing of the world led to a change in the way Motorsport was for the Americans, as European racers crossed the Atlantic to seek out the fame and fortune that races like Indianapolis brought, and the Americans crossed the Atlantic to Europe to use their titanic machines to take on the Europeans.

"It was the glory years for so many, where Americans began taking over sports car racing, and also began busting down the doors in Formula One. While Lotus took its rear-engined cars to win at Indianapolis, Ferrari hired Dan Gurney and Phil Hill and Mario Andretti to drive their F1 and Le Mans cars....many of the guys who went to Europe had cut their teeth on dirt tracks and in stock cars, but it didn't take long to realize that Dan and Mario and Phil and A.J. (Foyt) and Mark (Donohue) and Roger (Guldstrand) and Parnelli (Jones) and Ronnie (Bucknum) and the Unsers (Al Sr. and Bobby) were the real deal, real talented and capable of blowing the doors off of their opposition. The Europeans scoffed at their backgrounds, but the Americans tended to take the most direct route to wiping the grins off of their faces, and that was kicking their asses out on the track." -- Csaba Csere and Alain de Cadenet, The Way We Raced, 2010

"They thought we'd lost our minds when we all showed up at Brands Hatch, but horsepower speaks volumes. The British were so shocked when that Peter won, but there was a reason he did. The Indycars may not have had the cornering finesse of the Formula One machines, but when you have twice the horsepower of everyone else, you don't need to be particularly subtle." -- Denise McCluggage in Motor Trend, talking about the 1972 Rothmans 50000 Formula Libre race, won by Peter Revson and dominated by Indycars, which took up the first five finishing positions

"I will not forget the first time I went with Mario to help him at a Formula One race, in Italy. Him and I and Al (Unser Sr.) had gone out, all had Lotuses with the Cosworth engines, which at the time were brand new and the class of the field. I was always used to wearing my boots, and some of the guys on the plane made jokes about them constantly. Mario and I were archrivals, but he had the class to translate the insults the jokers were making to me. Part of me wanted to go slug the idiot making them, but no sooner had I gotten to my feet than a little guy with a Scottish accent said to me in English 'Sit down, A.J., you'll just annoy yourself with them, and they haven't met a Texan before.' I didn't know who the guy was at the time, but I met him again two days later, when I found out I'd be racing against him. I hadn't expected that. But I did also see the bozo who had been cracking the jokes driving a race car, too. Jackie [Stewart] always went down in my good books after that, and the guy who was making jokes, well, Lorenzo finished four places behind me, and I don't recall ever hearing him talk crap about me again. I sorta wonder if having the World Champion tell ya to shut up makes a statement." -- A.J. Foyt, talking about an incident on a flight to Italy in 1968, to Jack Arute in 2000

"The Americans were a breed of their own, but when you grow up driving those brutes they race on dirt tracks, you learn car control quite well. Those of us who had run against Dan Gurney and Phil Hill knew what the American drivers were capable of, and we knew not to poke fun at guys like Foyt and Andretti and Donohue. A.J. and Al were this doubly so, because they were both country boys who would quite happily punch you in the face for making fun of them. They raced hard, no excuses and no prisoners, and that if anything is why many of the other drivers feared them. They had the skill, the focus and the determination to win, but what they had that was unique was a total commitment to getting every drop of speed out of a car. They drove like maniacs, and it didn't take many people long to realize that you had to beat them at their own game, or else they'd do that to you." -- Sir Jackie Stewart in his autobiography, 2005

By the end of the 1960s, Detroit had done what they had come to do - GT racing in the 1960s had both the Corvette and the American Pony Cars - the Mustang, Camaro, Challenger and Javelin/AMX well involved and winning, and Ford's four-straight Le Mans wins, when combined with the equally-awesome Chaparrals and the intensity of wide-open Can-Am racing, made the point loud and clear that the Americans could win in international sports car racing. While the Cosworth DFV was originally a British design, American advancements to it would be seen very frequently from 1972 onwards, and the growing number of American racers in F1 showed that there was more than ever a reason to not dismiss the Americans - and the fact that five Americans were full-time drivers in F1 teams in 1972 (Mario Andretti, Peter Revson, Parnelli Jones, Mark Donohue and Cale Yarborough) added to the fact, and Ford liked to advertise the fact that three of those drove cars powered by Ford engines. (Revson was racing for Matra, Andretti for Ferrari.) But as successful as the DFV was, and as well-loved as the F1 circuit's race at Watkins Glen remained, it had nothing on the full-scale assault unleashed by Colin Chapman's 1975 decision to put Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt on the same team, working with the revolutionary Lotus 78 and 79 chassis.

"I don't think anybody anticipated a Foyt-Andretti driver team anywhere. These two guys loathed one another, and yet now Colin Chapman, a man they both respected to the greatest of degrees, wanted them to not only put aside their differences, but work on a car with an unproven aerodynamic concept and focus their careers as teammates. I think even A.J. and Mario had a hard time believing it. But Colin must have known what would come out of it, because once A.J. and Mario had the Lotus GP cars dialed in and competitive, they were nearly unstoppable, and the fact that Chapman kept putting guys from America in the cars when he ran third and fourth entries drove guys nuts - at least until they saw what Gordon Johncock and Lloyd Ruby and Al Unser and Bobby Rahal and Rick Mears could do in those cars, drifting them around like only somebody with tons of experience in a sprint car could. Dan Gurney had been feared by Jim Clark and Peter Revson and Mark Donohue and Parnelli Jones had loudly made the point that Americans could do well in the biggest form of automobile racing in the world, but the Foyt-Andretti Lotus teams and the dominance of the Anglo-American DFV2 engine that powered them to victory after victory drove the point home for all time, and caused both sides of the pond to suddenly be filled with the other's drivers and engineers and designers, looking to see just how they raced. You'd never normally expect Italian engineers or British drivers to be looking at how sprint cars worked and how the drivers raced them, but you soon saw that and much, much more." -- Steve Matchett, The Chariot Makers

"Mario and A.J. didn't just blow the ice to bits when they dominated Formula in the late '70s, they sent out a message to American racers everywhere that if they were good enough that they, too, could rule the racing world. And a helluva lot of guys began chasing that dream, hence why road racing grew to be enormously popular in the 1980s. It was driven by people who wanted to be the stars, both in the cockpit and, for many of the team owners, the wish to be the next Bruce McLaren or Roger Penske or Enzo Ferrari. And indeed, some of those guys did prove to be good enough to handle the big cars, and 1980s IMSA, CART and Trans-Am showed it. It also dawned on more than a few drivers in Europe that there was a whole another world in North American racing, and indeed it made for awesome careers and great times, even for drivers as great as Emerson Fittipaldi, James Hunt, Lella Lombardi, Brian Redman, Gary Brabham and Keke Rosberg were. IMSA GTP grew to be just as awesome as any other form of road racing on Earth and Indycars began to become the show they are today, and American race fans noticed quickly. And they, like all the rest of us, loved it to death." -- Brock Yates, American Iron and Carbon

Formula One in 1977 dawned with world champions in James Hunt and his Triumph-powered McLaren M25, but with Ferrari's legendary Niki Lauda and the equally-speedy Ferrari 312T breathing down his neck, the talented Austrian having recovered from a near-death crash at the Nurburgring in mid-1976 and the wild-living Brit being his usual self, an absolute beast both on the track and off of it. There were several new teams, but nobody had any idea just what was coming when Lotus introduced the Lotus Type 78 Formula One car, combining nearly-infinitely adjustable suspension systems and ground-effect aerodynamic tunnels with the powerful Ford-Cosworth DFV2 engine, a DFV with a number of changes to the cylinder aspect ratio and most importantly the use of new cylinder heads. The magnesium cylinder head uses narrow-angle valves and designed-in passenges for the air and fuel into the engine as well as the use of pneumatically-operated valve gear. The DFV2 debuted with Lotus in the first F1 race of 1977 in Argentina, and the combination of the car and the men who drove it was a deadly combination for F1. Early reliability problems for the DFV2 and the Lotus chassis being fairly raw in development allowed other rivals to gain an early edge, and while Foyt got his first Formula One win at Kyalami in South Africa in March, though Foyt's win was tampered by the horrific deaths of Shadow team driver Tom Pryce and marshal Frederik Jansen Van Vurren and was little celebrated as a result. Mario and A.J. soon got the bugs worked out of the Lotus 78-Cosworth DFV2 combination, and when they did the cars were nearly unbeatable. Both Andretti and Foyt lost to an inspired drive by Tomas Schekter in the Canadian Wolf at Monaco and were beaten again by James Hunt and John Watson's legendary duel at Silverstone, but the two Lotus pilots between them won ten of the seventeen races in the 1977 F1 season, the two of them lapping the entire field at Watkins Glen and for most of the season only having the incredibly-dedicated Jody Schekter and Gilles Villeneuve anywhere near them. At Watkins Glen, Colin Chapman added to his fun when he sent two extra cars for 1976 Indy 500 winner Johnny Rutherford and two-time Indy 500 winner Al Unser Sr. Rutherford further stunned the F1 crowd when he sat on the pole for the event. Rutherford retired with engine problems and Unser finished fifth in the race. In the next race at Canada, Mario's crash with Villeneuve allowed Foyt to seal his Formula One Driver's Championship.

YdAfcN.jpg

Mario Andretti and AJ Foyt driving the Lotus 79s racing at Brands Hatch in the 1978 British Grand Prix

The next year, however, the joke was on Foyt as Mario stormed to the title. The Lotus 79 was an improvement on the 78 and increased the car's straight line speed that much further, and with the DFV2 making nearly 620 horsepower in the 79, the stage was set for Mario and AJ to race each other once more - and this they did. Foyt's six wins in 1977 to Mario's four saw the roles reversed here, with Mario winning five times to Foyt's four, though both drivers were shaken by the events of the horrible 1978 Italian Grand Prix, where a horrific first corner crash claimed the life of Vittorio Brambilla along with seriously injuring Ronnie Peterson, Brett Lunger and Derek Daly. Mario went on to settle his battle with Foyt at Watkins Glen, beating him and a charging Gilles Villeneuve to win the drivers' title, but the result of the horrors at Monza still hit home for both.

Foyt and Andretti were caught by the Ferraris of Jody Schekter and Gilles Villeneuve for 1979, but the story of that year was Hesketh's return to glory, thanks to a turbocharged Zakspeed-developed Mercedes V6 engine. Only the Hesketh and Renault teams chose to use forced induction, but the result was the Mercedes turbo engine made by German engine builders Zakspeed made a spectacular 650 horsepower on race boost - and between 750 and 800 for qualifying - and James Hunt and Lella Lombardi were the drivers taking it on. Hunt was well on his way to repeating his 1975 title when he collided with Jacques Laffite's Ligier at Dijon-Prenois in France and cartwheeled into the barriers while comfortably leading the race, breaking both of his legs and giving himself a skull fracture. Out for the season, Lombardi took the bull by the horns and drove on to win three races (Hockenheim, Zandvoort and Montreal) in the powerful Hesketh. On the recommendation of Ford and Chapman, rising American road racer Elliott Forbes-Robinson took the wheel of the second car in replacement for the injured Hunt, scoring a hugely-popular win at the finale at Watkins Glen, though by this point Lombardi had already sealed her world title and she cruised at that race to fourth behind Forbes-Robinson, Andretti and Villeneuve.

The F1 battles of the late 70s saw the US Grand Prix races become a huge deal. An estimated 170,000 spectators watched Forbes-Robinson charge to victory in October of 1979 at Watkins Glen, and over 100,000 filled the stands at Long Beach that year, watching Andretti win for a second time at Long Beach in his Lotus 80. Both American races, as well as the events in Canada, Brazil and Argentina were covered live by the ABC Sports in the United States - and the 1980 rounds not covered by ABC were covered by ESPN, a major coup for the fledgling network. 1980 saw the infamous Formula One split between the series backed by the Formula One Constructor's Association and the Federation International du Sport Automobile, which mostly backed the constructors. Two championships in 1980, 1981 and 1982 were the result, and while F1 lost out in it, in 1980 Rick Mears became the third American Formula One world champion in four years for Brabham, and Ford became the first manufacturer to openly support FOCA over FISA, which when combined with massive support from the teams, sponsors and the British Government led to the two championships surviving for three years, until the two sides were brought together by Dan Gurney, Jim Clark and Mark Donohue in the fall of 1982. 1980 would be the last USGP at Watkins Glen for a while, as the track went bankrupt in the winter of 1980 as a result of financial problems, and the USGP East moved to Detroit itself for 1981.

CsYBko.jpg

Ayrton Senna drives his Lotus-Renault at Detroit, July 1985

cFN5BF.jpg

Keke Rosberg drives his Tyrrell-Honda at Riverside, 1986

This proved actually to be a benefit in a few ways. Detroit's enormous towers and waterfront setting was a big contrast from the forests and fields of Watkins Glen, but it was a great contrast, and while the circuit was not as much fun to race on as Watkins Glen had been, it was just as well attended, and the Detroit track, well-prepared every year for the event, was a television camera's dream, racing cars through the skyscrapers, huge trees and apartment towers of downtown Detroit, along with the waterfront run and two tunnels. Detroit was never a driver favorite, but it was a fan favorite and loved by sponsors and TV crews, and the drivers didn't mind being able to use the hotel and nightspots that Detroit of the early 1980s onward had to offer them. Running in the FOCA championship in 1981 and 1982, the races were won by Mark Donohue's Williams-Buick in 1981 and Tiff Needell's Tyrrell-Ford in 1982, and returned to the unified F1 championship in 1983 - which in 1983 was the longest F1 to that point at 23 races, with five of them - Detroit, Long Beach, Road America, Montreal and Mexico City - in North America. By 1983, Foyt, Andretti and Donohue had headed to Indycars, but Danny Sullivan, Rick Mears, Bobby Rahal, Danny Ongais and Eddie Cheever ably carried the flag for the American drivers, Mears proving his skills by being invited to the famous 1983 opening weekend at the new Nurburgring, joined by nearly all of the best stars of F1 at the time in identical Mercedes 190 Cosworth sedans. Mears finished third behind Aryton Senna and Niki Lauda, a result that got him noticed in the F1 paddock. By 1986, Indycar's young driver pack, opened by Scott Pruett, Willy T. Ribbs, Scott Brayton, Al Unser Jr. and Michael and Jeff Andretti was getting attention. Mears took a massive-money offer to return to Team Penske in 1986, however, and by the end of the 1980s Indycars was looking like a real rival to Formula One in terms of popularity - indeed, while an accident in practice for the 1987 Indy 500 ended Ongais' career, the others proved just as adept in Indycars as they were in Formula One.

This sudden kick in the interest of road racing led to IMSA prospering in a big way in the 1980s, particularly because of the titanic battles of the 1980s in the GT categories, with the GTP class from 1984 on being fought between GM's Corvette GTP, Porsche's 956 IMSA (and 962 America from 1985 onward), the Jaguar XJR Series of sports cars, Nissan's ZX-GTP and the Ford Intruder RM-1. Numerous privateer entries also ran in IMSA during the times in all of the classes, with cars like the Lola T800, Spice SE88A, March 88S and Fabcar M191, as well as the ubiquitous Porsche 962s, which throughout the 1980s were the choice of privateer race teams. IMSA worked hard in the 1980s to even out competition between factory teams and privateer ones, a point that became particularly important after Nissan's ZX-GTP began winning regularly, thanks to Geoff Brabham, Chip Robinson, John Hotchkiss, Evan Evans and Chris Kneifel. It was an exciting time in American racing, not the least of which was because of the factory extrants from Ford and GM adding to the competition. GM's awesome Corvette GTP, driven by Ron Fellows and John Paul Jr., very narrowly lost the GTP championship to James Weaver and Butch Leitzinger in their Porsche 962 in 1986, but the Corvettes, which had begun with roaring Corvette V8s and subsequently switched to even-more-powerful Judd-built Turbocharged V6 engines, were regular competitors right through the GTP era.

The three US races in 1983 were trimmed back to two, as the Road America and Long Beach races did not return for 1984, in both cases because of contractual disagrements. Dallas replaced Long Beach for the USGP West, but that race ended badly because of horribly-inept organizers and a track surface that literally came apart under the cars in the day's 107-degree heat. The USGP West, however, wasn't gone thanks to Dan Gurney, who acquired Riverside International Raceway from Fritz Duda in 1984, after his becoming enraged at the prospect of the track where Gurney had first made his career being turned into a shopping mall. Riverside was rebuilt as a much greater racetrack by Gurney, opening to critical fanfare - and as the new home of the USGP West - in 1986, where some 250,000 spectators got a show for ages as Aryton Senna's Brabham-Porsche fought off the Ferrari teammates of Stefan Bellof and Gilles Villeneuve to win his second race on American soil. (Dallas would never again host Formula One, but it returned for the World Touring Car Championship in 1988, and would become a stable of American sports and touring car racing in the 1990s.) Riverside would be rapidly hemmed in by development in the 1980s and 1990s, but the ever-inventive Gurney found many new ways to use his property, with test track work, driver schools, concerts and other sport events being regular occurences at Riverside in the late 1980s.

"The World Sportscar Championship and IMSA were two different worlds, and it showed every time the Europeans would go to America for Sebring or Daytona. They'd always be stunned by what came out of it, namely because IMSA was so much of a club, a bunch of teams, owners, drivers and fans who were dedicated to it all, having a blast racing cars, people who were like members of a club but who still had nothing but love for those who joined them. The Europeans always took things deadly seriously, never bothering to try and work out the camaraderie that revolved around everything IMSA. One year, much of the WSC pack - Sauber, Joest, Repsol Brun, Jaguar, Lloyd, Aston Martin - came to America for the races at Daytona and Sebring, because they were well before the start of the WSC and IMSA's prize purse was big. The Jaguar crews had some idea what was coming, but the rest didn't have a clue....the Europeans landed in a world that seemed almost alien to them, and as soon as that got out, the fans to work....the teams started finding fans buying food and drinks for the newcomer teams, doing their best to make the others feel at home. After the day's practice was over, lots of the teams were seeing their mechanics talking amiably and sharing beers and food with race fans, which the Europeans settled right into. They couldn't believe it, and soon lots of the drivers from Europe were asking their American counterparts where all of the friendly fans had come from, to which James [Weaver, driver for Dyson Racing] told Andy [Wallace, Jaguar WSC driver] 'this is the way it has always been'. I don't think any of them believed that, but as soon as they did a season in IMSA, they believed every word of it. It didn't stop Geoff [Brabham], Chip [Robinson], Little Al [Unser, Jr.] and Bobby [Unser] from knocking them down to size in the Nissan, but at least they enjoyed themselves." -- John Bishop, IMSA's founder, interviewed by Racer Magazine, 2002

"IMSA was a place for racing nuts to go have a blast. We used to call it "the brotherhood", us drivers, as it we loved what it was like. It began with team owners who wanted to race, drivers who wanted to race, fans who wanted to watch and sponsors who wanted their names on the cars. The GT Championship and the Group C cars were our way of doing that all of that - and when the big car companies came and wanted it, they went for it of course, but told the factories up front that if it came down to the privateers pulling out and them being there, the privateers would win. The factories went for it anyways, just because we were all having a blast. If Formula One had been such a gathering of enthusiasts, it would not have had that stupid split series and perhaps they might despise each other so much." -- Hans Stuck, in the opening of Prototypes: The History of the IMSA GTP Series, 2000

tumblrmay3q04qto1qfp3y1.jpg

Al Holbert and Chip Robinson's famed Lowenbrau Porsche 962 IMSA, at a photo shoot in 1994

LytQUX.png

The Corvette GTP driven by Rick Mears, James Hunt, Ron Fellows, Doc Bundy and Elliott Forbes-Robinson to the win in 1987 24 Hours of Daytona and third place in the 1988 24 Hours of Le Mans, on display at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance in 2013

While IMSA was not stuck with the poor decisions made by the FIA with regards to the World Sports Car Championship from 1989 onwards, the GTP era accelerated to a truly-awesome zenith in the early 1990s. 1991's last hurrah of the awesome power of the 1980s-era GTPs was won in a shocking win by Mazda's screaming 787B racer and while most of the 1980s GTP era competitors - Mercedes, Jaguar, Ford, Toyota and Mazda - built 3.5-liter engined versions of their cars, the reality of it being about same the cost to run Formula One while getting huge exposure, when combined with the rigid (and foolish) decisions of many of the organizers of the WSC caused a mass exodus out of the series during 1991 and 1992, causing the series to collapse at the end of 1992. IMSA GTP suffered a similar but not identical problem during the time - the giant escalation of cost that Nissan, Jaguar and Toyota's involvement in the series caused rapidly caused a drop off in the flagship GTP category. Porsche's focus on Indycars made this worse as they did little to update the 962 after 1989. Such was the difficulties and troubles that Al Holbert, after nearly dying in a 1988 aircraft accident, switched away from Porsche, joining the board of the Vector Automotive company in 1990 and moving to GT racing in 1991. The GTP cars ran their last races in 1993, something which the arrival of Toyota and Peugeot couldn't arrest. But what followed the GTPs was, if anything, even more spectacular than the GTP era.

IMSA's WSC cars, which began to see the track in 1993, had their gestation rapidly accelerated by the arrival of the workhorse Riley and Scott MkIII and Lola B95/00 and the awesome Ferrari 333SP in 1994. At the same time in Europe, the BPR series, founded to use GT cars to fill the mold of the old WSC but with the intent of supporting privateer racers, got off the ground in Europe with a bang, a bang helped by the new-for-1994 Le Mans Prototype category falling flat on its face at Le Mans, resulting in the Tom Walkinshaw Racing Jaguar XJ220GTs that had been disqualified for not having catalytic converters the previous year winning the race outright. The BPR Global GT Series and IMSA were soon on the same page, and at Laguna Seca in July 1994 the two series raced together for the first time, combining IMSA's WSC prototypes and the big, thundering GTO cars with the BPR's spectacular production-based GT racers. The resulting show was awesome to say the least, and while IMSA kept its big-bore tube-framed GTO cars, the production GTS-1 and GTS-2 entered the series for 1995 on a full-time basis, and the Chevrolet Corvette, Vector R12, DeLorean M15 and Dodge Viper were soon part of the melee on both sides of the Atlantic, joining the McLaren F1, Ferrari F40, Lamborghini Diablo Jota, Jaguar XJ220, Nissan Skyline GT-R, Porsche 911, Venturi 600, Honda NSX, Lotus Esprit and Marcos Mantara racers in Europe. Porsche re-entered the sports car world with the WSC95 Le Mans Prototype in 1995, but their first attempt at a GT car, the Porsche 911 GT1, got slapped down by racers, sending Porsche back to the drawing board - and at IMSA's suggestion, a revolution in the GT1 category.

6FANW9.jpg

The Ferrari 333SP of Arie Lyeundyk, Mauro Baldi and Gianpiero Moretti at the 1997 Six Hours of the Glen at Watkins Glen

hDYEK2.png

The Champion Racing Porsche 911 GT1 Evo of Allan McNish and Bernd Maylander at Las Vegas, 1997

0RuUES.png

The Panoz GTR-1 of Mario Andretti, David Brabham and Jan Magnussen at the 1998 Petit Le Mans

The new GT1 category designed by the BPR and IMSA for 1997 allowed for GT racers built from the ground up as race cars, allowing racers like the 911 GT1 to race without ruining the performance of the GT cars that had supported the sport in its privateer days. The proposal developed in response to the 911 GT1 had been done at the behest of IMSA's new boss in Don Panoz, who saw coming the evolution of GT cars into machines less road car derivatives and more race cars with production headlights. The new cars would be built to be able to compete with the WSC racers, allowing the privateer GT cars to not have to go through the rapid cost escalation that was causing both the BPR and IMSA issues. The new class allowed the tube-frame beasts that IMSA's GT guys had developed as well, but it was clear from the start that the Porsche 911 GT1 and Panoz GTR-1 the rules had been designed for would outclass the tube-framers. Despite that, enthusiasm for the new cars was high - and when Mercedes-Benz and Nissan entered the series in 1997, causing factory support for McLaren to show up from BMW and countering Porsche and Ferrari, it caused the beginnings of the wild show that was modern sports car racing. Perhaps most notably, the BPR Series became the World Sports Car Championship again for 1997 and with the entry of the GT1s the series allowed the WSCs in as well.

The result was insanity. Porsche's 911 GT1 Evo was outpaced by both the long-tailed McLaren F1 GTRV and the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR, while the Panoz GTR-1 was outclassed in the World Sports Car Championship but not in IMSA, where the Panoz factory team and the Brumos and Champion teams and their Porsche 911 GT1 Evos slugged it out all season. Ferrari owned the Sports Prototype class in the WSC but lost the IMSA title to the Dyson Racing Team and their Ford-powered Riley and Scott Mark IIIs, but Ferrari also got the big win at Le Mans - there, after both Porsche GT1s retired out of the lead and both Mercedes and Nissan saw rocket-fast pace ruined by mechanical issues (both Mercedes retired with blown engines and both Nissans suffered multiple bouts of gearbox trouble), the Ferrari 333SP/97 of Gilles Villeneuve, Bobby Rahal, Nigel Mansell and Stefan Bellof claimed Le Mans in Ferrari's first overall win at Le Mans in over 30 years. 1998 was similar in some ways but different in others - Porsche claimed Le Mans but was embarassed everywhere else by the Mercedes team in the WSC, while Ferrari claimed the WSC win at Daytona and the class in the BPR series (though the BMW V12 LM ran them hard all season, a sign of what was to come), but the Dyson Riley and Scotts yet again beat them in IMSA, while Team Panoz's GTR-1s came away with the IMSA GTS-1 title, though they lost the overall series title to a hard drive by James Weaver and Andy Wallace in the IMSA series finale at Riverside. 1997 had seen Ferrari's awesome F50 GT2 be stupid fast but unreliable, but in 1998 they made no mistakes about reliability - but found Chrysler ready for war with the Viper GTS-R. Chrysler came away with the title in both series simply because of late-season charges. Toyota showed up at Le Mans with the GT-One, but their Le Mans ended with engine and gearbox issues for both of their entries.

The first Petit Le Mans at the newly-rebuilt Road Atlanta circuit, the second-to-last event of 1998 for the sports car world, showed how far everything had come. BMW chose the Petit Le Mans to showcase its new V12 LMR and Panoz did the same with its new LMP-1 Roadster S and raced a hybrid version of the GTR-1 in addition to its two GTR-1 race cars gunning for the IMSA series championship. Porsche brought three factory cars - a WSC98 prototype and two 911 GT1-98s - and had help from the Zakspeed GT1-98 and Brumos and Champion's GT1 Evos, along with a fourth GT1 Evo entered by Canadian team Bytzek Racing. Mercedes brought both of its BPR champion cars, and brought a third CLK-LM for their their ace Indycar racers - in this case, Al Unser Jr, Andre Ribiero and Greg Moore - to drive, while Toyota entered one GT-One and Nissan brought two R390 GT1s fitted with new V12s. Two factory Ferrari 333SPs and three privateer ones lined up with six Riley and Scott Mark IIIs, the two Dyson cars running what were effectively Roush-built Ford NASCAR engines, three others with Cadillac V8s and the Rafanelli car with a Judd V10. The DAMS and Intersport teams brought Lola B2K/00 chassis with Renault V10s for power and Mazdaspeed USA brought two Kudzu class cars with screaming Mazda rotary power to fill out the top of the field. As if that wasn't enough, the whole works led up six WSCII cars (two apiece of WR LM98s, Lola B2K/40s and Reynard Q10s), pack of GT2 class Ferrari F50, Dodge Viper, Chevrolet Corvette, Vector M12, Porsche 911, Lamborghini Diablo, Marcos LM600 and Saleen SR entries, as well as three tube-frame Oldsmobile Auroras in the GT1 category and a bunch of GT3 class Porsche 911, BMW M3, Acura NSX, Lotus Evora and Toyota Supra racers.

All in all, 80 cars started the race, which also began a revolving door of leaders - the Martin Brundle / Emmanuel Collard / Eric Helary Toyota led from the pole until they had gearbox trouble, handing the lead to the Mark Webber / Bernd Schneider / Ellen Lohr Mercedes, who led until they tripped over a GT2 Porsche and crashed heavily in the Esses. The Allan McNish / Laurent Aiello / Stephane Ortelli Porsche GT1-98 took over the lead with the Mercedes' crash....only to have their race end in a spectacular backflip on the back straightaway, handing the lead to the Butch Leitzinger / James Weaver / Elliott Forbes-Robinson Dyson Riley and Scott....whose engine blew up spectacularly with an hour and fourty minutes remaining, setting the car on fire. This passed the lead to the JJ Lehto / Jorg Muller / Tom Kristensien BMW V12 LMR, only to hand the win away with fourteen minutes remaining when Muller spun off trying to lap the GT2-leading Ferrari F50 and beached the car in the Turn 14A gravel trap, handing the win to the Bobby Rahal / Nigel Mansell / Nick Heidfeld Ferrari 333SP/98. The race, attended by over 80,000 spectators and watched by millions on ABC television, was a sign of just how far that form of racing had come.

4YcVln.jpg

The BMW V12 LMR that led most of the inaugural Petit Le Mans

Perhaps the most notable shift of the era was the enormous growth in the popularity of karting both as a form of recreational motorsport and as a form of drivers growing into greater drivers. For most of motorsport's history in North America, the beginnings of most drivers' careers was the first race car on an oval, either in vehicles like Thundercars (mildly-modified bangers) or Quarter Midgets. By the 1980s, though, the world of karting was swelling into something big and notable. One of the major advancements of this was the development of indoor kart tracks that were combination racetracks, recreational facilities and schools of both racing and mechanics. Locations like the original Kart Space Raceway in Philadelphia, the Empire State Karting Club in New York, Golden State Kart Center in San Francisco, Motor City Kart Racers in Detroit and Red Rock Valley Raceway in Denver were the places were more than a few aspiring racers (and plenty of really good ones) first cut their teeth in karts. The growth in the sport in these inner-city indoor kart tracks introduced motorsports to a whole new generation of people, and indeed the growth in karting didn't take long to get noticed by IMSA or CART, who both recognized that karting would produce many of the stars of the future. As the prosperous 1980s went on and the growth of both Indycar and IMSA (and indeed NASCAR as well) fueled demand for drivers, the Formula Atlantic series of the 1980s evolved into the North American Formula Three Championship in 1989 and Indy Lights was brought under CART's banner in 1992, while the all-oval American Indycar Challenge (which used Indy Lights chassis, but much more powerful engines) began under Tony George's sponsorship in 1995. (It's first three champions - Richie Hearn, Ryan Newman and Helio Castroneves - all went on to Indycar careers.) In addition to the karting world being reasonably cheap to enter, many of the companies that supplied karting with components, Honda and Goodyear in particular, were more than happy to provide financial support to promising racers.

xs4XUs.jpg

Max Ventura races his shifter kart in an event at New Jersey Motorsports Park

Formula Three got off to a rocky start in North America, but by 1992 things were improving rapidly, and in 1993 the series got a major lifeline when it got its first stand alone event in Savannah, Georgia. The southeastern Georgia city had hosted one of the first automobile races in North America in 1908, and the city's decision to allow local businessman Richard Singleton to set up an event on Hutchison Island in Savannah was done with a specific eye towards races for drivers of the future, and was advertised as such. Built as part of Singleton's development plans for the island, the Savannah Atlantic Circuit was built between 1991 and 1993, and in July 1993, it hosted Formula Three cars as its first headline event. Singleton, an enthusiastic amateur racer himself, always advocated for the use of Savannah as a place where the talent of the future could be seen before they were famous, and his efforts paid off early - Indy Lights ran at Savannah in 1996 and 1997, but in 1998 the Savannah race was moved to the third week of October in an attempt to have entrants from European F3 series come to Savannah to race for a sizable prize. That worked better than expected on any front - the three F3 races had three different winners, the first two heat racers were won by German F3 champion Nick Heidfeld and British F3 standout Narain Karthikeyan, while the final race was won by North American F3 runner-up Tony Renna after him and the champion, Christopher Keantay, battled all race long, leading home a 19-year-old Finnish kart star by the name of Kimi Raikkonen in third, Karthikeyan in fourth and Macanese racer Andre Couto in fifth. This set the table for the future of Savannah's flagship event, which was Formula Three for there on out, and a long list of the drivers who would go on to stellar careers in the world of motorsports in the future would win at Savannah, with five drivers - Kotari Narihira in 2001, Lewis Hamilton in 2004, Sebastien Vettel in 2006, Daniel Riccardo in 2009 and Sarisha Asthana in 2015 - winning both Monaco and Savannah in the same year. (All five went on to win races in Formula One later in their careers.) Savannah also hosted lots of other events as part of its festivities, but always support or development series, with street stock, one-make GTs (Porsche Supercup or Lamborghini Super Trofeo), touring cars and shifter karts. The tourist-loving city and the hospitality for which sizable portions of the Southeastern United States and renowned didn't hurt matters, and during the Savannah Festival of Speed the city pretty much rolls out the welcome mat and openly encourages shows, parties, demonstrations and events meant to showcase cars and racing as well as many elements of the culture of the South, and just as with the Macau Grand Prix that inspired the Savannah event, the off-track happenings are very much part of the appeal of the event.

XpPeeV.jpg

Sebastien Vettel qualifying his Dallara-Mercedes at Savannah, 2006

hzjxOv.jpg

Jules Bianchi in the second heat race at Savannah, 2010

TheMann said:
Part 12: If You Want to Improve the Breed, You Go Racing
Well done, again.​
TheMann said:
a fact that would remain through both rules and custom until the 1970s
Well... By the '70s, the durability of strictly stock parts had long since proven insufficient & more & more HD pieces were being substituted. It was custom to claim they were still "strictly stock", but nobody who knew anything about GN racing really believed it.​
TheMann said:
Indycars evolved by the 1930s into the classic Indy "Roadster"
I hate to disagree again, but the classic roadster wasn't around til the '50s (AIUI, anyhow), & for a surprisingly short time. Indy saw a lot of what we'd now call sprint cars in the '30s.​
TheMann said:
its almost-ubiquitous Offenhauser four-cylinder engine
I'm not sure the one or two other engines, including Duesys & Novis, would disqualify the Offy from being ubiquitous.:p
TheMann said:
Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt on the same team
:eek: And you thought Senna & Prost had to be kept separated in the paddock.:eek::p Yet, making it work...:cool: I'm not sure too many team owners could do it. Or would.

Aside: Cale in F1?:confused: Not what I'd expect, by any means.​
TheMann said:
an inspired drive by Tomas Schekter in the Canadian Wolf at Monaco
Thank you for that.:cool:
TheMann said:
Jody Schekter and Gilles Villeneuve
With the 312 still a nightmare to drive?:eek:
TheMann said:
Mario's crash with Villeneuve allowed Foyt to seal his Formula One Driver's Championship.
Gilles just can't get a break...:(:p
TheMann said:
horrible 1978 Italian Grand Prix, where a horrific first corner crash claimed the life of Vittorio Brambilla along with seriously injuring Ronnie Peterson, Brett Lunger and Derek Daly.
:( Tho I am glad Peterson doesn't get killed. Did you consider the changed conditions butterflying away the wreck completely?​
TheMann said:
Zakspeed-developed Mercedes V6
:eek: This is another weird one for me. You've got a real way of pulling them out of left field.:cool: (And why is it left, & not right?:confused::p)​
TheMann said:
Lombardi...[won] three races (Hockenheim, Zandvoort and Montreal)
Truthfully, do you think she was that good? I have my doubts. (I'd love to know if Delangle was, either.) Maybe it's the team; I thought Alesi was really good, but he never seemed to show it...​
TheMann said:
the track went bankrupt in the winter of 1980 as a result of financial problems
AIUI, the track couldn't have met new safety standards anyhow, not helped by not having the money to do it... So, does this mean a permanent USGP home at Laguna?:cool: (Much as I like Watkins...)​
TheMann said:
Detroit's enormous towers and waterfront setting
Never a fan of Detroit.​
TheMann said:
in 1983 was the longest F1 to that point at 23 races
:eek: How did you get that many on the calendar? I couldn't get past 20.​
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
TheMann said:
[/FONT]Dan Gurney, who acquired Riverside International Raceway ...after...becoming enraged at the prospect of the track....being turned into a shopping mall.
:eek::mad: That happening is a travesty. Good on you for saving it.:cool::cool::cool:
TheMann said:
If Formula One had been such a gathering of enthusiasts
You do understand, don't you, that means it would cease to be F1?:p (Didn't the Borgias write the first rulebook? Or was it Machiavelli?:p)​
TheMann said:
Porsche's focus on Indycars
:eek::cool::cool: Getting out of sports car racing is about the last thing I'd expect from Porsche.​
TheMann said:
Formula Three...set up an event on Hutchison Island in Savannah
That's a fascinating idea. Bravo.:cool:
TheMann said:
Nick Heidfeld and ...Kimi Raikkonen
A couple of nobodies who'll never amount to anything.:p (Another funny outcome: the guy who gave Senna a real run for his money in F2 {whose name I'm embarassed to admit I can't think of:eek:} never went anywhere beyond that, AFAIK...)​