Star Trek : The Alternate History

JSmith

Banned
To get the idea for this thread read this :

http://www.allyngibson.net/?page_id=1784
Alternity: Star Trek Alternate History

Jonathan Archer said, “If I go back and stop an Austrian farmer in the mid-1800s and ask him directions while he’s on his way to the market, he gets to the market five minutes later, and misses meeting the woman he was supposed to marry. She passes by. Because they never meet, Adolf Hitler is never born. World War II never happens, or happens later for other reasons, and the technological rush of the mid-20th century is delayed thirty or forty years… Zephram Cochrane doesn’t have the infrastructure to invent warp drive, and we never meet the Vulcans.”
“Instead of meeting the Vulcans,” Trip Tucker picked up, “we meet the Klingons instead. By now, the Klingons are dominant on Earth and using Earth as a toehold in this whole section of the galaxy.”
“A butterfly flaps its wings in Africa,” Archer murmured, “and there’s a typhoon in China the next spring. This idea that anyone can engineer the future by screwing the past —”
From Enterprise: Broken Bow: The Novelization, by Diane Carey, page 149
Star Trek discussion runs a dime a dozen on the Internet. From the merits of Voyager to speculation on Star Trek: Nemesis to where the Animated Series fits into the overall Trek canon to reviews of the relaunched Deep Space Nine novels–if you’re interested in discussing it, you’ll find someplace on the ‘Net to discuss it.
You can even discuss Star Trek as though it were a real, functioning universe. The ethical framework of the 24th century, the technological problems to be surmounted in creating warp drives, replicators, transporters. It’s all available for discussion. Pick one part of the Star Trek saga, and you’ll find someone that’s an expert and is willing and able to spend hours expounding upon their area of expertise.
d7.jpg
Why not Star Trek history, then?
Future histories are nothing new in science fiction. Robert Heinlein wrote future history. So did Isaac Asimov. Just as children in history classes today write timelines of everything from the American Civil War to the Space Age, science fiction authors were writing timelines of events that hadn’t yet happened, events that might never happen.
The same has happened with Star Trek. People started trying to put the pieces of the Trek mythology together in an attempt to build a coherent timeline, a future history. Michael Okuda wrote his version in A History of the Future, published by Pocket Books and now in a second edition. James Dixon did his own version as well, now in its thirteenth edition and covering almost everything that’s had the label Star Trek affixed to it and some things that never did. If you ever needed to know the crucial events of 2344, Okuda or Dixon wouldn’t be bad places to start looking. Or the not-so-crucial events of 2229.
Why not the next step, then? Alternate history Star Trek?
Alternate histories are nothing new; they’ve long fascinated both historians, novelists, and readers. The eternal game of “what if only…?”
Why not apply counterfactual thinking to Star Trek? Playing alternate history with past events is common–one need only look at the popularity of books such as Robert Harris’ Fatherland, Philip K. Dick’s The Man in the High Castle, or the work of Harry Turtledove. But these works all look at changing the past–World War II in the case of Harris and Dick; the Civil War in Turtledove’s The Guns of the South or the Great War series, World War II and alien invasion in the World War and Colonization series. All of these look at the past and extrapolate how things would differ.
reliant.jpg
Why not treat future histories in general and Star Trek in particular in the same way? Where Dick would alter America’s 1930s in High Castle, altering the flow of history with President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s assassination, why not alter Star Trek‘s history in a similar manner? What would stem from the assassination of the Federation President in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country or a Romulan War that never resulted in the founding of the Federation?
Yet, there has been no place where alternate history Star Trek could be readily discussed. On the USENET, such discussions at soc.history.what-if would be off-topic because future histories such as Star Trek haven’t yet happened, while rec.arts.startrek.* does not have any obvious choice for such discussions. The alt.startrek.* heirarchy, again, has no obvious choice for discussing counterfactual Trek. While alt.startrek.creative might provide such a haven, alternate history postings would likely be swallowed by the overwhelming number of Star Trek fanfic posts.
Thus, the need to create a safe haven for discussing alternate history Star Trek. Alternity. An e-mail list devoted to the subject of Star Trek, its history and its alternate histories.
How does it work? Start with the premise: Star Trek has a consistent history. Now, make a change to that history. What happens? Imagine the year is 2709. You are an historian at the University of Shi’Kahr on Vulcan, well-respected in your field, with a number of works published on the First Federation-Cardassian War. As the historian, what changes do you see occuring because of that one historical change? What political, sociological, psychological, economic forces ripple due to that single change? Do empires rise and fall? Does the Federation collapse? Do the Romulans abandon their native xenophobia? Does the Dominion War happen? Are the Cardassians once again on the “losing side of history” as you had once so eloquently argued? This becomes fodder for discussion and debate, and there are no right answers here. But there are infinite possibilities.
birdprey.jpg
While putting “alternate history” in the description of the list may seem limiting, we discuss the whole of history in Star Trek assuming there is a consistent flow to the historical patterns of that universe thus exploring that flow by positing changes in the history. General historical discussion is both welcome and encouraged, especially as our traditional viewpoint on the Star Trek universe has for thirty-five years been through the narrow lens of Starfleet. Surely monumental events happened outside that narrow segment of the Star Trek universe. In discussing counterfactual Star Trek, limiting one’s self to only what we’ve seen in television and on film will also limit one’s appreciation of Star Trek as a future history.
Alternate history Star Trek, then, provides an outlet for creative thinking. You might not ever look at Star Trek in the same manner once you’ve begun to think through how different it could have been.

and this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_(Star_Trek)

Human history in Star Trek diverged from the real world in the 20th century. Most remarkably, the 1990s saw the emergence of the Eugenics Wars where genetically engineered "supermen" such as Khan Noonien Singh sought to conquer Earth. They failed, and Khan and his followers escaped to space aboard a cryogenic sleeper ship.

I dont think I have ever seen it seriously considered here as to just where canon- Trek history diverged from ours.
Oh I have seen plenty of Mirror,Mirror and other alternate- Trekverse type timelines and stories but what about the canon -Trekverse? It seems that it would likely have to have diverged at least by post WW2 to have the level of technology presented in the 1990's -probably post WW1.So please speculate,discuss and hopefully timeline!

Last edited:
Concerning the biotech needed to creat Kahn, Watson and Crick discovered the DNA ladder in 1953, so having someone growing supermen in the 60s IOTL would be impossible, no matter their resources. PCR was invented in 1983, rapid sequencing in the late 90s, IIRC. There is no telling when we'll be able to build supermen, though I'd put it in the 2030s at the earliest. One thing is clear though - without the above technologies, no supermen.

Another problem is, to handle the massive amounts of information present in DNA, fairly advanced computers are needed. The transistor was apparently first patented in 1925, then forgotten until the 1950s, and the Intel-4004, the first "modern" CPU, came in 1971. Computers developing perhaps ten or so years earlier than OTL is no stretch, though I suspect we'd need computers at least comparable to the late 90s just to handle the gigabytes of data.

My conclusion is, the pre-Trek world is at least 70 years ahead of OTL in biotech, and at least 30 or 40 years in computer technology. Even at double the rate of discoveries, the POD needs to be something like 150 years ago.

My two cents...

An idea I toyed with for a while was the idea of an alternate Dominion War. Admiral Leyton succedes with his coup, declaring the Federation to be under temporary Starfleet rule until the present threads have been removed. This outrages most of the Federation and, as Sisko warned, causes a civil war to occur. The Kligons under the expansionistic Chancellor Gowron uses this civil war as an excuse to begin the "liberation" of planets claimed by the Klingon Empire. The Federation fights back.

As war wages across the Federation, the joint Obsidion Order-Tal Shiar fleet launches its attack on the Founders homeworld, only to be massacred by the Dominion Fleet. As in the STTL (Star Trek Timeline), the Obsidion Order collapses as a result of this failed attack, allowing the Cardassian Dissident Movement to launch a revolution and overthrow the military dictatorship, resulting in the reformation of the Detapa Council and a new, democratic Cardassia.

As a result of the Klingon intervention into the Federation, resulting in the empire waging a war against both factions, the Klingon empire never launchs its invasion of the Cardassian Empire. As a result, the Cardassian Empire manages to stabilise itself, preventing the coup by Gul Dukat. The Gul goes underground, waging his own personal war to try and destroy the nation he once served. However, the Maquis continue to wage their guerilla war against the Cardassians, even going so far as to declare an independent state, the Free Territory (I don't know, they never Eddington never gave a name for the nation he planned on forming).

The Dominion, seeing an Alpha Quadrant being torn apart by war, sees this as their chance to invade the Alpha Quadrant. The Romulan Star Empire, unsympathatic to the rest of the quadrant and with a large number of pro-Dominion senators, agrees to let the Dominion send troops to help protect "Romulan interests".

When a team of Federation officers under Benjamin Sisko manage to infiltrate the Klingon Headquarters on Ty'Gokor with the intention of exposing Chancellor Gowron as a changling. However, while their mission does succeed, they discover that it was actually General Martok who was a changling. Somewhat reluctantly, the Chancellor agrees to a ceasefire with both Starfleet and the Federation. All three governments, realising the imminent threat of the Dominion (which had been dispatching more and more ships to Romulus), began to plant cloaked self-replicaing mines. Realising their intention of stopping their invasion plans, the Dominion launchs their invasion, with ships from both the Wormhole and Romulan Empire pouring out into the Klingon Empire. The Federation and Starfleet, realising that they cannot stand against the Dominion threat divided, agree to form a United Front.

The Dominion-Romulan fleet sucedes in occupying Deep Space Nine, as well as causing heavy casulties to both the Klingon and United Federation fleets.

And that's all I ever really planned. At some point, the Cardassians join the Alliance and as with the STTL, the Breen join the Dominion.

The trouble with that is, the Leyton putsch occurs in the middle of Season 4. The Tal Shiar and Obsidian Order attack the Founders in the second half of Season 3. The first Cardassian revolution and Dukat's rise to power are long done and dusted before 'Homefront' occurs.

JSmith

Banned
Concerning the biotech needed to creat Kahn, Watson and Crick discovered the DNA ladder in 1953, so having someone growing supermen in the 60s IOTL would be impossible, no matter their resources. PCR was invented in 1983, rapid sequencing in the late 90s, IIRC. There is no telling when we'll be able to build supermen, though I'd put it in the 2030s at the earliest. One thing is clear though - without the above technologies, no supermen.

Another problem is, to handle the massive amounts of information present in DNA, fairly advanced computers are needed. The transistor was apparently first patented in 1925, then forgotten until the 1950s, and the Intel-4004, the first "modern" CPU, came in 1971. Computers developing perhaps ten or so years earlier than OTL is no stretch, though I suspect we'd need computers at least comparable to the late 90s just to handle the gigabytes of data.

My conclusion is, the pre-Trek world is at least 70 years ahead of OTL in biotech, and at least 30 or 40 years in computer technology. Even at double the rate of discoveries, the POD needs to be something like 150 years ago.

My two cents...

Interesting what do you think it could have been?

Earlier adaptation of repeating rifles leading to a bloody as hell ACW involving lots of trench-warfare? Earlier motorization and perhaps dirigibles, soon abandoned in favor of airplanes might result.

Just a vague idea, lots of people on this site are far more knowledgeable on 19th century history than me, basically my idea is that the old hierarchies must be severely shook up in order for key technologies to be invented and become relevant earlier.

Perhaps there's an earlier publication of evolutionary theory?

Alternatively Henry Starling's stealing of 29th Technology, as depicted in Voyager, that created the Trek TL's computer revolution also creates the biotech one?
That would point to 1967 as the POD.

BTW more ideas please!
If the Bashir changeling managed to blow up the Bajoran sun, that would be brilliantly anticlimactic, on a par with Gimli destroying the One Ring with his axe at Rivendell. He would have killed every character in the series in a one-episode plot without any foreshadowing.

It also makes me wonder (not begs the question, that means something different) why the Dominion never tried it again. Just a plot hole I guess, that space-bomb or whatever should never have been written into the series.

in the movies, they traveled back in time to get a whale, maybe they did not only leave behind that new improved glass design. And that they did some sloppy advanced tech retrieval.

All this might supply the idea for an alternate history of star trek:
An alternate history of star trek, or how the future was really created(or is Hidden History of the federation a better title?)

looking at the several episodes it always seemed to me that the federation created itself (which was really clear in ENT, where the future influence on capt Archer planted the idea of the federation in his mind). So this alt history, would be one of time travel, losing artifacts, timetravel accidents or even intentionally manipulation of the timeline.

Last edited:

JSmith

Banned
in the movies, they traveled back in time to get a whale, maybe they did not only leave behind that new improved glass design. And that they did some sloppy advanced tech retrieval.

All this might supply the idea for an alternate history of star trek:
An alternate history of star trek, or how the future was really created(or is Hidden History of the federation a better title?)

looking at the several episodes it always seemed to me that the federation created itself (which was really clear in ENT, where the future influence on capt Archer planted the idea of the federation in his mind). So this alt history, would be one of time travel, losing artifacts, timetravel accidents or even intentionally manipulation of the timeline.

Well something like this could have happened for the 1990's and early 2000's as presented in the Star Trek timeline to have occurred or it could have been a more conventional pod.

I have just finished reading “Watching the Clock” A new ST EU novel focusing on the work of the Federation Department of Temporal investigations (DTI); specifically agents Dulmer and Lucsley (seen in the classic DS9 Episode ‘Trials and Tribbilations’). It looks at a lot of instances of Time Travel throughout the ST series (Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9 & VOY) from the DTI’s perspective. There is a cool bit where they attempt to have Janeway arrested just after the VOY finale for many Gross violations of the Temporal Prime Directive!!!

But one of the main plot threads examines the ‘Temporal Cold War’ as mentioned a lot in ‘Enterprise’. For those few of you who watched ‘Enterprise’ (!) you may remember one of the Cold War factions from the 28th century give advanced genetic enhancements to a group of Suliban in order to try to disrupt the formation of the Federation. In the novel the same faction does the same to a group of Romulans in the 24th century.

The DTI agents speculate (tho they have no proof) that perhaps the Eugenics wars in the 20th century were caused by the same 28th century faction covertly giving advanced biotech to certain Earth scientists in an effort to destabilise Human development and hopefully prevent the Federation from existing.

I think it would be cool if THAT was the PoD between OTL and the Star Trek timeline! It would explain how scientist in the 60’s could do such advanced genetic engineering. The Eugenics Wars led to advancements in Space travel tech, which set the scene for WW3 and First Contact. Of course this means that, by their intervention the 28th century faction created the very timeline they were trying to disrupt (a pre-destination paradox). But that just goes to show Time Travel is not an exact science!

JSmith

Banned
I have just finished reading “Watching the Clock” A new ST EU novel focusing on the work of the Federation Department of Temporal investigations (DTI); specifically agents Dulmer and Lucsley (seen in the classic DS9 Episode ‘Trials and Tribbilations’). It looks at a lot of instances of Time Travel throughout the ST series (Enterprise, TOS, TNG, DS9 & VOY) from the DTI’s perspective. There is a cool bit where they attempt to have Janeway arrested just after the VOY finale for many Gross violations of the Temporal Prime Directive!!!

But one of the main plot threads examines the ‘Temporal Cold War’ as mentioned a lot in ‘Enterprise’. For those few of you who watched ‘Enterprise’ (!) you may remember one of the Cold War factions from the 28th century give advanced genetic enhancements to a group of Suliban in order to try to disrupt the formation of the Federation. In the novel the same faction does the same to a group of Romulans in the 24th century.

The DTI agents speculate (tho they have no proof) that perhaps the Eugenics wars in the 20th century were caused by the same 28th century faction covertly giving advanced biotech to certain Earth scientists in an effort to destabilise Human development and hopefully prevent the Federation from existing.

I think it would be cool if THAT was the PoD between OTL and the Star Trek timeline! It would explain how scientist in the 60’s could do such advanced genetic engineering. The Eugenics Wars led to advancements in Space travel tech, which set the scene for WW3 and First Contact. Of course this means that, by their intervention the 28th century faction created the very timeline they were trying to disrupt (a pre-destination paradox). But that just goes to show Time Travel is not an exact science!
Awesomeness! I wanted to read this anyway now I must. That would make a great POD! BTW does the book give any new Eugenics War info?

Last edited:
Not realy. It mentions events from the Greg Cox 'Eugenics Wars' series of books which tries (with varying degrees of success) to shoehorn the Eugenics Wars into events of OTL. Which was an interesting Idea but not massively convincing. The Greg Cox theory was also undermined a bit in an eppisode of 'Enterprise' (cant remember the name) which focused on Human Augments, which as far as I can remember implied that the Eugenics Wars were a bigger more obvious conflict.

Ill be honest, the 'Cox Scenario' kind of undermines my initial "Wouldnt it be cool if..." theory (From a certain point of view). But I think it is still a valid PoD. Even if the Eugenics Wars 'appear' to take place OTL, they would create butterflies which may not be visible until later.

JSmith

Banned
Not realy. It mentions events from the Greg Cox 'Eugenics Wars' series of books which tries (with varying degrees of success) to shoehorn the Eugenics Wars into events of OTL. Which was an interesting Idea but not massively convincing. The Greg Cox theory was also undermined a bit in an eppisode of 'Enterprise' (cant remember the name) which focused on Human Augments, which as far as I can remember implied that the Eugenics Wars were a bigger more obvious conflict.

Ill be honest, the 'Cox Scenario' kind of undermines my initial "Wouldnt it be cool if..." theory (From a certain point of view). But I think it is still a valid PoD. Even if the Eugenics Wars 'appear' to take place OTL, they would create butterflies which may not be visible until later.
Oh yeah I really dont like the "covert" story of Cox's Eugenics Wars books( but at least he got them taking place in the 1990's right!) Both TOS episode Space Seed and the Enterprise Augments episodes make it clear that the Eugenics wars were overt,worldwide and took place in the 1990's( which is also something that many Star Trek fans fudge on). Shoehorning them into OTL history directly clashes with the idea that star Trek is an alternate history because it puts the POD further out there.

JSmith

Banned
Since we currently have several threads that touch on this topic I thought perhaps we could have some more discssion on this.

Well, in my TL (minor spoiler alert), I have a real PoD at some point in the early twentieth century, with research on eugenic theory existing as early as the 1920s (with scientists specializing in the field), funded by the Nazis, and then picked up by various people in the postwar period. What they essentially do is figure out, in detail, how traits work, how they interact, and have done careful (if monstrous) study on human beings before the discoveries of genetics that tie it all together; they start with very, very crude genetic manipulation combined with, primarily, eugenic ideas (that is, they're using a combination of selective breeding and brute force genetic modification), which leads to far more failures than successes - but the successes exist and are numerous. Most of the research remains secret - though this secret knowledge butterflies into existence a more active space program throughout the Cold War, rather than petering out as it did IOTL - until the Eugenics Wars break out suddenly in the 1990s. As a result, the "public" PoD - the one that a cross-universal traveler from our own could actually pinpoint specifically in an easy fashion - would be 1991.

It's not the most realistic of all possibilities, I admit, but it's the one I've gone with.

Garrison

Donor
Oh yeah I really dont like the "covert" story of Cox's Eugenics Wars books( but at least he got them taking place in the 1990's right!) Both TOS episode Space Seed and the Enterprise Augments episodes make it clear that the Eugenics wars were overt,worldwide and took place in the 1990's( which is also something that many Star Trek fans fudge on). Shoehorning them into OTL history directly clashes with the idea that star Trek is an alternate history because it puts the POD further out there.

I know I'm a bit late responding to this post but if it annoys you that much maybe you should start your own overt EW thread...:D;)