Star Trek: Enterprise does Alternate History

Regarding the Defiant data base - consider the amount of information in the 'Help' files associated with most computer programs. While they don't tell you how it works, they provide some good explainations of the concept.
In the case of the 'help files' associated with engineering there would be a lot of valuable data just because the explainations for repair would of necessity cover a lot the the design concepts.
Most ships would have training modules incorperated that would be used for crew education. These would most probably give a lot of background information.
Since there seems to be a lack of 'paper' on these ships, there would be the equal of our encyclopedia - once again a lot of background data.
Remember while the Defiant is 100 yrs from the future, many elements of it's design were logical developments from the Enterprise.

(Quite honestly, I was suprised how quickly the Enterprise crew was able to take over and operate the Defiant. Just sitting down at the different consoles should have been more of a challenge. Also, I can't imagine that there was no security in place. You shouldn't be able to access all those systems without some sort of 'log on'. Wasn't it a practice to erase the computer banks if the ship was in danger of being captured?)

Johnestauffer said:
(Quite honestly, I was suprised how quickly the Enterprise crew was able to take over and operate the Defiant. Just sitting down at the different consoles should have been more of a challenge. Also, I can't imagine that there was no security in place. You shouldn't be able to access all those systems without some sort of 'log on'. Wasn't it a practice to erase the computer banks if the ship was in danger of being captured?)

From what I read somewhere, there was supposed to be actual labels on each button, witten black on clear, but were not visible to the viewers when TOS was filmed.

The Empire seems to just go around conquering and stealing technology,not making much progress on its own. This could explain the Defiant.
Also with it being so powerful only the most trusted people would be allowed near it hindering any research.

Thande

Donor
Maybe some redshirt tech activates the self destruct by accident 5 minutes after the Defiant is put in an Empire spacedock for analysis?

Johnestauffer said:
With the security problem, I just assumed that the Tholians had disabled the lockouts while they were analyzing the ship. Don't ask me how, though.

Thande

Donor
It's what we in Trekdom call the IFOS (Intruder Friendly Operating System). All Starfleet and most alien ships are fitted with them, enabling our brave heroes to beam over to the spooky dead ship(tm) and immediately begin operating control panels.

I guess those two episodes were all of the alternate time track.
It would have been nice to see how the "Emperoress" made out and what the Defiant did to change history.
(Why is it that so much of the time when future technology becomes available it always goes to the bad guys?)

Bernd Schneider, operator of ex-astris-scientia.com, a pretty good Star Trek site, has posted his thoughts on the episodes here.(Just scroll down until you see it) He makes some interesting points.

Thande

Donor
I like that website. It reminds me that my Star Trekkism isn't as far advanced as in some cases. :D