Sports What Ifs.

The way that WW2 affected the AAFC is that it took Paul Brown from Ohio State:

https://theozone.net/2019/07/what-if-paul-brown-came-back-to-ohio-state-after-wwii/

If there wasn't a WW2, Brown stays in Columbus, and someone else coaches the Cleveland team (that isn't called the Browns). They aren't as dominant, so the league may have lasted longer with more parity.

Interesting. Also bear in mind the Browns OTL were so popular, probably due in part to their dominance, that they ran off the NFL’s Rams. So if the AAFC’s Cleveland franchise (the Panthers if I recall) isn’t as good, it probably moves or folds, the Rams stay put, and maybe a couple more teams make the leap.

Bear in mind, however, that Dan Reeves was bound and determined to move a team to LA. If he doesn’t buy the Rams, who else is a likely target to move?

Interesting. Also bear in mind the Browns OTL were so popular, probably due in part to their dominance, that they ran off the NFL’s Rams. So if the AAFC’s Cleveland franchise (the Panthers if I recall) isn’t as good, it probably moves or folds, the Rams stay put, and maybe a couple more teams make the leap.

Bear in mind, however, that Dan Reeves was bound and determined to move a team to LA. If he doesn’t buy the Rams, who else is a likely target to move?

Actually, the Rams left after the 1945 season (when they beat the Redskins for the NFL title), right before the Browns started. So that was happening no matter what.

WI, on July 14, 1990, Brett Favre doesn't get into a near-fatal car crash near his parents' home? Would he go in the first round and, if so, who to?

WI, on July 14, 1990, Brett Favre doesn't get into a near-fatal car crash near his parents' home? Would he go in the first round and, if so, who to?
#2 to browns? #3 ironically to atlanta? #6 cardinals? or seahawks choose him over Dan? still depends, there a lot of possibilites

The Raiders could pick him up late in the first, he’s probably the kind of guy Al Davis wouldn’t mind having.

Would be Enough to keep the raiders in LA?

I wouldn't doubt it. Favre would be getting better right around the time they would have moved, so it could go either way. No matter what, Favre has the personality and style of play that screams Raiders football. I can see him at quarterback for the team for all of his career, probably up to (and if he wants, beyond) 2010. Of course, he'd have to get past Elway in the division, but after that, I think we can see the Raiders avoid that whole down period in the 2000s, especially if they make the right draft picks to build around their franchise star, although I know I shouldn't depend on Al Davis with that.

I wouldn't doubt it. Favre would be getting better right around the time they would have moved, so it could go either way. No matter what, Favre has the personality and style of play that screams Raiders football. I can see him at quarterback for the team for all of his career, probably up to (and if he wants, beyond) 2010. Of course, he'd have to get past Elway in the division, but after that, I think we can see the Raiders avoid that whole down period in the 2000s, especially if they make the right draft picks to build around their franchise star, although I know I shouldn't depend on Al Davis with that.

Brett might not have had the same career in a glitzy big city (LA/NY). Too many distractions and opportunities to get into trouble. Green Bay was the perfect environment for him.

Brett might not have had the same career in a glitzy big city (LA/NY). Too many distractions and opportunities to get into trouble. Green Bay was the perfect environment for him.
He did get in troubles in GB, he growth them out, but take time.

Mostly because his cannon arm, is what Al loved, throwing the ball deep

For me would be Nice if they Stay in LA.

Mostly because his cannon arm, is what Al loved, throwing the ball deep

For me would be Nice if they Stay in LA.

Yeah, and you have to hope that Al can continue to draft offensive players that could accentuate that while building a defense that can hold up when Favre throws his sloppy interceptions.

I'd like it too, they always seemed to kind of fit better, I guess, in LA. The big market was a great place for their huge, rabid fanbase to grow and thrive, and the image of Ice Cube in an LA Raiders hat just kind of sticks with me to this day. I always find it weird, though, how everyone on the site (not you, necessarily, just a general observation) seems to be set on, no matter what, be set on having every team stay in their old market, or, for some, any, ASB reason, move back to the market. I read a TL from a guy, and the POD was in 1989. After he ended it, roughly in 1995, he just randomly brought up how, the whole time, the A's baseball team happened still be in Kansas City, for no real reason other than he thought it would be cool. I don't get it. I mean, I get it, as a Mets fan descended from Dodger fans, I would love to be cheering for an organization that seemed to be able to function with minimal, I don't know, involvement in pyramid schemes, but I don't have the Dodgers move back to Brooklyn just because it would be kinda nice. Again, I don't at all mean this towards you, this is just me venting about the outrageous means a lot of people use to move teams because it has a vintage feel.

WI Bo Jackson quits football for good after 1986? How well does he do in baseball?

Bo was always a freak athlete, and I think he could thrive in baseball if he gives everything to it, but, from what I've heard, he was very injury prone, so that might stop him dead in his tracks, like with football IRL.

I would love to be cheering for an organization that seemed to be able to function with minimal, I don't know, involvement in pyramid schemes
The Wilpons use madoff as an excuse...they won got money on it but don't want to spend it...or they got cold feet because bad invesment(bobby, Cespedes always injured, useless cano)

Bo was always a freak athlete, and I think he could thrive in baseball if he gives everything to it, but, from what I've heard, he was very injury prone, so that might stop him dead in his tracks, like with football IRL.
I think he could help the royals before being trade...to braves or yankees?

Here's a WI I posted several pages back: WI Mickey Mantle plays for the Boston (later Milwaukee) Braves?

The Braves will do better in the late 1950s, IMO, especially with Mantle and Aaron hitting and especially if the Mick keeps his drinking under control...

The Wilpons use madoff as an excuse...they won got money on it but don't want to spend it...or they got cold feet because bad invesment(bobby, Cespedes always injured, useless cano)

I think he could help the royals before being trade...to braves or yankees?

Yes, the ownership sucks a lot. But that should stop us from actually attempting to get worthwhile free agents under the age of 30.

I don't know. If he devotes everything to baseball, I think his performance will be a lot better than his all ready All-Star level peak. I think that the Royals would try to keep him for as long as possible, and he may only be able to leave Kansas City through free agency.

Cespedes did count before he died....Degrom did was over 30.

I know, Cespedes is a five-tool player, but I'm talking about Manny Machado, Eric Hosmer, or JD Martinez. It's not like they weren't open to coming to us, maybe not Machado, but still, we could have at least made an effort.