Sports What Ifs.

As for the other question, would the weather be that much different in the China Basin site?
The winds would not be swirling as much as Candlestick or be as cold.
I once attended a doubleheader at Candlestick on a Sunday afternoon game in August and I nearly froze my butt off, also there was a hot dog wrapper floating in the air from the fourth inning of the first game to the fifth inning of the second game.

I don’t think Washington was in the market for a QB, so I don’t know that much changes in terms of who gets drafted. I do know that, if Woodley kicks ass in the fourth quarter (like, say, he leads two TD drives, one in the last 5 minutes, and he completes a last-minute comeback as Montana and Big Ben did later,) he probably has a ton of trade stock and little value to Marino in the future. I understand that Woodley May have been a fine QB but he was a diehard introvert and a poor choice of mentor for Marino.

What they get for Woodley could make a lot of difference - the Dolphins were on the cusp of a title in 1984 and 1985, and while they would have had a tough time beating the greatest 49ers and Bears teams ever, they would have put up better fights than the ‘84 Dolphins, who forgot to play the second half, and the ‘85 Pats, who pulled an upset of the aforementioned Dolphins and promptly got turned into hamburger meat by the aforementioned Bears. My guess? They lose both by a TD each, and maybe after a lull in the 1980s, Marino manages to break on through in the 1990s after having been so close before.

One possible interesting wrinkle - OTL’s ‘85 Bears were marred by a lot of resentment from Walter Payton, who didn’t score in the rout of the Pats. Even the goddamn Fridge got in the end zone but he didn’t - a team that scored five TDs couldn’t spare one for its best offensive player. If they had played a serious opponent rather than obvious cannon fodder, they may have had to count more on Payton. I picture the Bears winning by a score of, say, 24-17. Somewhere in those three TDs would be a handoff to Payton. So he stays in good spirits with the team, and they make another run in the future, possibly in 1987 in the strike-shortened season, averting the run by Doug Williams. I picture a weakened offensive output but better D against an overmatched Denver team for a score in the neighborhood of 31-3.

From what I understand, the Skins would have taken Marino if he was there (unless Miami still wants Marino and trades up for him). Then, after Miami takes Syracuse DE Mike Charles (a player that dropped to them in Round 2 in OTL), I think that Denver would have drafted Darrell Green (I read something about how Reeves wanted to trade up for him. They also came close to trading for him in 1989).

Since Theismann still leads Washington to the SB in 83 (maybe they win this time since they probably are more motivated), the Skins have a dilemma in 1984. Marino may be too good to keep on the bench. Maybe Theismann gets one more year as starter, but he is definitely gone by 1985, and Marino takes over the team.

Is there a chance the Utah Jazz move if Stockton, Malone, and Sloan going to them gets butterflied away?

The Jazz made the playoffs in 1983-84 (no Stockton) and 84-85 with a young Stockton and no Malone. So, it's probable that they never move since they had a pretty good organization.

Just reading about Jackie Robinson, and I was wondering something. If Jackie Robinson had been deployed to Europe, and had died in service, who would have have broken the color barrier?

So, apparently Manu Ginobili had a near-fatal car accident way back in 2004. https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/...e-was-in-near-fatal-accident-during-honeymoon

So what if he isn't so lucky and he perishes back then?

The Spurs are weakened but go looking for a replacement posthaste - that team has always been all business and seemed to have a “next man up” mentality.

OTL they still won the title in 2005, 2007 and 2014. The last two are probably unaffected; they may lose 2005 without Ginobili.

Maybe Larry Doby? He integrated the AL.

Probably, although I bet Branch Rickey will be salty as fuck being beaten to the punch on a black player. I think Doby still goes to the Indians; Rickey probably wanted a position player, not a pitcher (I’m basing this off Robinson being a position player and the fact that he probably didn’t want a pitcher to be thrown at constantly when he batted - bear in mind Robinson’s debut pre-dated the DY by a quarter-century.)

That or Rickey just looks for someone else and goes about his business, beating the Indians to the punch by a year as in OTL.

Marc

Donor
Just a thought re Mantle: a Mantle that stayed sober would be a different man; and perhaps a different player.
Once you ask for personality changes, there is that chance.

Speaking of personality: Marino not leaving the Dolphins was I think in the largest part because of his sense of loyalty to place and people, a characteristic he showed going back to where he played in college.

(Pardon if this has been already discussed).

Last edited:
I have a new What If:

What if the NASL survived the 1984 season and comes back after a year or so? I pictured atleast 14 clubs across the US (Canada will have the CSL by that point) and would get rid of the conference format to be original in American sports. They might be able to promotion and relegation out of desperation to keep the game original.

What you guys think? It would allow the the US to rebuild as soccer nation and will still allow them to host the 1994 world cup. Don't know if this was asked before?

Crazy question, but would have the AAFC have survived long enough for an NFL-AFL style merger if WW2 was somehow avoided?

The way that WW2 affected the AAFC is that it took Paul Brown from Ohio State:

https://theozone.net/2019/07/what-if-paul-brown-came-back-to-ohio-state-after-wwii/

If there wasn't a WW2, Brown stays in Columbus, and someone else coaches the Cleveland team (that isn't called the Browns). They aren't as dominant, so the league may have lasted longer with more parity.

What would it take for cleveland to not have such bad teams in general and win at least one super bowl post 1999?

Or same thing for detroit ?

What would it take for cleveland to not have such bad teams in general and win at least one super bowl post 1999?

Or same thing for detroit ?

No John Elway or just a failure of those two spectacular plays against the Browns.

NFC Championship game goes differently, and the Lions could very well be Super Bowl champs.

Crazy question, but would have the AAFC have survived long enough for an NFL-AFL style merger if WW2 was somehow avoided?

The AAFC wasn't founded until 1946. After the '49 season, there was a partial merger, roughly along the lines of the NHL picking up four of seven teams of the WHA.