Spanish North Africa & Spanish Congo

I was wondering if there would be anyway Spain could expand its colonial holdings during the 19th century after losing most of America. The smaller powers of the Netherlands and Portugal were able to expand their colonial holdings during this time whilst Spain simply got the small and resource poor regions of Rio de Oro and Rio Muni in Africa. I don't want to write a lengthy detailed timeline, but here are some ideas that I thought of.

I was thinking perhaps if Spain had kept its holdings in Algeria after 1792? Also, if Spain could take Algiers before the French do. Though Spain was a somewhat weakened country, they had launched raids on the Barbary Coast throughout the 18th century. Perhaps during the 1784 Spanish bombardment of Algiers they decide to take the city. This could lead to a conquest of the rest of country just after the Carlist Wars.

I'd imagine that a pacification of Algeria could be lengthy, but by the mid-19th century the Spanish could control Algeria north of the Atlas Mountains. I do imagine the Spanish being a bit more ruthless with the Muslim population than the French were. In 1859-1860 Spain fought and won a war against Morocco, however what if by that time Algeria is firmly under Spanish control and Morocco is conquered. I imagine this too would lead to a somewhat lengthy campaign of pacification.

In French Algeria, Jews were given French Citizenship in 1870 and this was followed in Tunisia and French Morocco to make the Jews loyal to the French Republic, however Spain never offered the Jews of Spanish Morocco Spanish citizenship, so I can't imagine that would happen. Which brings me to another major difference between a Spanish and a French Algeria. French Algeria's non-Muslim community was very cosmopolitan, with most being of non-French origin by 1962 (400,000 alone were of Spanish origin in 1962, of these 300,000 were located in the Oran region).

Poorer Spain had a growing population (unlike France's fairly stagnant population). For that reason, France invited non-French Europeans in large numbers to Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco. Spaniards from Murcia and Alicante and later Andalusia settled the western portion of Algeria and in Oujda (Morocco). Algier's Spaniards were mostly from Alicante and Andalusia and the department of Constantine had mostly Valencians and Balearic Islanders. In 1913 alone 33,000 Spaniards moved to Africa (mostly North Africa). However, a large number returned to neutral Spain during to avoid conscription during WWI.

In 1885 Spain claimed the Rio de Oro coast and subsequently Rio Muni due to historical treaties with Portugal which gave those areas to Spain. Perhaps as a result of the Scramble Spain claims everything North of Cabo Blanco in a straight line. If they control Algeria and Morocco, the other powers would presumably not object.

Finally, in 1777 Portugal ceded the islands of Fernando Poo, Annobon along with rights to the territory between the Niger River and the Ogooué Rivers to Spain in return for the territorial adjustments in Brazil. Spain also annexed the Corsico and Elobey islands in that region around 1843. So perhaps Spain could begin to send some explorers to the region during that 19th century to map the inland regions and setup some sort of stations along the coast. If they are successful, Spain could control a fairly substantial Equatorial colony in Africa with lots of oil.

The effects on Spain would be interesting. Firstly, Spain would have long military campaigns of pacification to distract the country throughout the 1830-1850 and 1860-70 period. I imagine the Spanish-American war to still occur, however at least Spain would still be left with a substantial colonial empire. The 20th century is where we would see the real butterflies. With a neutral Spain during WWII, how would have a North African campaign proceeded (invasion of Tunisia?). Also, without the Italians and Maltese not going to Eastern Algeria in large numbers, perhaps more end up in Tunisia (and Tunisia does fall to the Italians).

One interesting thing that would develop, is certain areas would be much more Spanish than Arab. The European population in Algeria and Morocco would undoubtedly be much larger due to the proximity of Spain and lots of poor Andalusians claiming land in North Africa. The cheap cost of travel across the Mediterranean could make this a desirable region to the poorest peasants who cannot afford the passage to Latin America. Lots of poor Spanish farmers who area hellbent on preserving their privileges would become a problem. This would eventually boil over into rage against the Spaniards after the 1950s. But I imagine Algeria could have some 2-3 million Spaniards vs 7 million Arabs by 1950. Morocco could have another 1-1.5 million Spaniards vs 7 million Arabs.

In OTL, decolonization was fairly easy for Spain. In 1953 when the French sent Mohammed V into exile it was the Spaniards who protested and in 1955 the French acquiesced and departed Morocco the next year. Spanish Morocco only had 90,000 Spaniards (of these 55,000 were in Tetuan), and repatriating them wasn't too onerous. As for Spanish Guinea, the small colony was thought of as having little and the Spaniards granted the territory self-rule in 1963 and independence in 1968.

With such vast colonies and presumably staying out of World War II, Spain's attitudes would have been much different than say France's. In OTL, Oran's population was still 2/3 European in 1950. With many more Spaniards and fewer non-Muslims such a city would be 15% Muslim. The Algiers and Oran Regions itself would be over 60% European by 1960. A large European population would have wanted to fight on, and perhaps Spain would have been mired in a bloody war lasting much longer than France's did. Also, perhaps the Muslim inhabitants of a Spanish North Africa would have teamed up with the Basque terrorists by the early 1970s.

Por favor, please, continue. I'd be interested to see a TL develop from that scenario. Not being terribly familiar with Spanish Africa (apart from the running of Equatorial Guinea for a time from Buenos Aires), I'd be intrigued to see how it would develop.

I'd like to see this TL, too.

The Spanish couldn't do worse in the Congo and North Africa, that's for sure.

And this butterflies away Franco...

Deleted member 67076

I really like this. Spanish Congo would be leagues above the Free State.

birdboy2000

Banned
I really like this. Spanish Congo would be leagues above the Free State.

Yeah, but that's a very low bar. And the fate of the Spanish colony in Africa that did become an independent state does not fill me with optimism for the Congolese. (Though to be fair, while I don't know enough about Equatorial Guinea's history to know how much blame to assign Spain, the Nguemas certainly made a bad situation much worse.)

With Spanish Congo and Spanish North Africa WWI WWII will be totally different. One of the defining factors in Italian foreign policy was the French seizure of Tunisia. Considering Italy already ceded them Nice the fact that France would seize Italy's colony to be was seen as a huge betrayal. It moved Italy to join the Triple Alliance.

So if Spain takes Tunisia then Italy would stay with France. Germany might seek out a British alliance. And Britain would join Germany as a way to counter the Russians and the French.

Also holding Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Congo would make Spain a lot more important. Considering that they could close the Strait and also have far more resources. Most likely it would be dragged into the Triple Alliance, because of possible gains in Africa and fear of British seizure of their colonies.

With Spanish Congo and Spanish North Africa WWI WWII will be totally different. One of the defining factors in Italian foreign policy was the French seizure of Tunisia. Considering Italy already ceded them Nice the fact that France would seize Italy's colony to be was seen as a huge betrayal. It moved Italy to join the Triple Alliance.

More likely, it would shift the balance of power enough to butterfly away any world wars.

Also holding Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and Congo would make Spain a lot more important. Considering that they could close the Strait and also have far more resources. Most likely it would be dragged into the Triple Alliance, because of possible gains in Africa and fear of British seizure of their colonies.

I doubt they could close the strait, so long as Britain and the Royal Navy still controls Gibraltar.

I think that when we consider what a Spanish Congo will look like, we can't consider it merely in terms of the Belgian Congo being under a different flag. Geographically, it will have a different shape, which may cause friction with the French. Although the butterflies are really hard to get in order for me, to be honest :p

I think that when we consider what a Spanish Congo will look like, we can't consider it merely in terms of the Belgian Congo being under a different flag. Geographically, it will have a different shape, which may cause friction with the French. Although the butterflies are really hard to get in order for me, to be honest :p

True. You'd think that Spain would learn from its mistakes in America so that its African chapter would be much better. Of course, that's setting a high bar, considering Equatorial Guinea's OTL history (Spanish Wiki gives more detail). Of which to note an interesting sidenote in its history and in Argentine history, the time when part of Equatorial Guinea was run from Buenos Aires. On the other hand, much like Equatorial Guinea, the Spanish spoken in the Congo would probably be close to Peninsular Spanish (Equatoguinean Spanish is very similar to middle-class Peninsular forms) and would be a potential lingua franca in the colony, even if not everyone speaks it (consider, for example, the status of Portuguese in the PALOP). Anything apart from the Congo Free State is an improvement, we all know that, so we'd have to see how Spain reacts.

As for me, in terms of borders I could see Spanish Congo incorporting not just the OTL DRC but also Congo-Brazzaville, as a start. Whether or not Katanga is included remains to be seen.

As for me, in terms of borders I could see Spanish Congo incorporting not just the OTL DRC but also Congo-Brazzaville, as a start. Whether or not Katanga is included remains to be seen.

It is highly likely to incorporate Congo-Brazzaville too. The only reason they are separate is that Brazza's expedition for France put a post on the North side of the river (modern Brazzaville) and Stanley (working for King Leopold) put a post on the South side (modern Kinshasa). Congo-Brazzaville wasn't considered separate from the rest of the Congo until the French and Belgians formalised their rule over their respective areas.

Would the Spanish be able to defeat the French, British and Portuguese for control of the Congo? I don't see Spanish have the advantageous ability to play the other Great Powers off each other that Belgium had.

Perhaps I should have clarified what I meant when I said a "Spanish Congo". I did not mean that Spain would get what became the Congo Free State and later Belgian Congo. I meant a colony spanning the territory between the Niger River Delta and Ogooue River as agreed upon with Portugal during the 18th century. The colony would stretch westward with the Congo River being the eastern border.

Such a colony would include present day Equatorial Guinea along with parts of the following Gabon, the Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Central African Republic and Nigeria. Perhaps it could be called Spanish Equatorial Africa, or even Spanish Guinea as this area was all called Guinea. I just thought of Spanish Congo since it would border the Congo River.

TFSmith121

Banned
Is there a "colony too far" issue in play?

Just in terms of geography, your case for a larger "Spanish" Morocco and a Spanish Algeria (wonder if they'd end up as Mauretania y Numidia?) beginning in the Eighteenth Century seems reasonable, as long as the French and British - which would seem to be the guarantors of access to the Western Med for most of the period you're speaking of - agree...

My first question would be what would the impact of a Spanish imperial "enclave" close to Europe be on the Peninsular War? And the Nineteenth Century travails of the Spanish monarchy? A bid for independence, as in Latin America? Seems like the biggest initial hurdle is getting some stability and (relative) progressive government in Madrid...

A larger Spanish colony in West/Central Africa doesn't seem any more outlandish than a lot of what happened in the scramble for Africa (Belgians in the Congo is fairly ASB in its own right), but it seems that Morocco and/or Algeria would be a little more within the geographic and economic ambit of Iberia than sub-saharan Africa.

Another question would be if a Spanish North Africa exists in the first half of the Nineteenth Century, does it become a place for peninsulares "returning" from Spanish America, and so the demographics change more in favor of those who identify as Spanish? Same for Spanish emigrants to the Americas, notably those who left for Argentina and elsewhere in the second half of the century and the first decades of the Twentieth? The Basques?

Are there fewer Mediterranean emigrants generally to the Americas, if something resembling a stable North African "Little Europe" appears to be developing? Are the Spanish (and ex-Spanish-American) settlers likely to be joined by Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, etc? Would this Spanish empire be more welcoming to non-Catholics, including Orthodox and Protestant Christians, and (possibly) Jewish emigrants?

Is the Muslim population any more or less likely to assimilate into a Spanish North Africa than a French one?

Interesting concept.

Best,

Just in terms of geography, your case for a larger "Spanish" Morocco and a Spanish Algeria (wonder if they'd end up as Mauretania y Numidia?) beginning in the Eighteenth Century seems reasonable, as long as the French and British - which would seem to be the guarantors of access to the Western Med for most of the period you're speaking of - agree...

My first question would be what would the impact of a Spanish imperial "enclave" close to Europe be on the Peninsular War? And the Nineteenth Century travails of the Spanish monarchy? A bid for independence, as in Latin America? Seems like the biggest initial hurdle is getting some stability and (relative) progressive government in Madrid...

A larger Spanish colony in West/Central Africa doesn't seem any more outlandish than a lot of what happened in the scramble for Africa (Belgians in the Congo is fairly ASB in its own right), but it seems that Morocco and/or Algeria would be a little more within the geographic and economic ambit of Iberia than sub-saharan Africa.

Another question would be if a Spanish North Africa exists in the first half of the Nineteenth Century, does it become a place for peninsulares "returning" from Spanish America, and so the demographics change more in favor of those who identify as Spanish? Same for Spanish emigrants to the Americas, notably those who left for Argentina and elsewhere in the second half of the century and the first decades of the Twentieth? The Basques?

Are there fewer Mediterranean emigrants generally to the Americas, if something resembling a stable North African "Little Europe" appears to be developing? Are the Spanish (and ex-Spanish-American) settlers likely to be joined by Portuguese, Italians, Greeks, etc? Would this Spanish empire be more welcoming to non-Catholics, including Orthodox and Protestant Christians, and (possibly) Jewish emigrants?

Is the Muslim population any more or less likely to assimilate into a Spanish North Africa than a French one?

Interesting concept.

Best,

I think the best chance for a Spanish north Africa is Spain keeping the enclaves past 1792. In the late 18th until the early 19th century piracy was a problem and Spain did send expeditions against Algiers. So I think that is what could lead to a conquest of the city.

What effects could this have on the peninsular war? Probably few if any. I imagine at this time Algiers, Oran and Mers el Kebir would be only slightly more important than Ceuta and Meilla, but still less important than the Canary or Balearic Islands.

As for Spanish immigration, Algeria was the principal destination for Southern Spaniards emigrating until around 1930. Argentina was the main destination for Spanish emigrants until around 1950, but 70% of these were Galicians, around 10-15% Basques and smaller numbers of Canary Islanders, Cantabrians, Asturians and Catalans. Emigration to Brazil was also important, but here too the overwhelming majority were from Galicia. Smaller numbers emigrated to Chile and Uruguay, but these numbers were smaller than those going to Algeria and the origins were mostly the same as in Argentina.

Cuba was the second destination for Spanish emigrants until around 1930. Here too Galicians were most prominent, however this was the largest destination for Canary Islanders. Puerto Rico was similar, but on a smaller scale. Finally Venezuela became a major destination between 1950 and 1980 with large numbers of Galicians and Canary Islanders going here.

I don't think that Spanish North Africa would replace the Americas as a destination for Spanish emigrants. In OTL many of the Spaniards who emigrated to Algeria lived better than they did in Spain, but living standards were still around 30% lower than those in Metropolitan France. However, as a Spanish territory, I assume Spaniards would be given priority in land distribution (rather than the French). This alone would make their numbers increase. Alicante, Murcia, Valencia and the Balearic Islands would be the largest regions of immigrants due to proximity. However, this time around you'd have many more people from Madrid (civil servants) and probably some Basques and Galicians.

As for Mediterranean immigrants, Spain wasn't too open about admitting foreigners to its African colonies (granted they were small colonies). For France it was a matter of necessity. With a small birthrate and a fairly well off population, few French were attracted to the colonies. Allowing Spaniards, Italians, Maltese, Swiss and German immigrants made sense to them. Also, making the local Jews French citizens seemed to be a prudent move to boost the number of locals. Even the French who did go were mostly Corsicans and to a lesser extent people from France's Mediterranean Coast. Spain still has a high birthrate and many people willing to emigrate until the early 1970s, so I doubt they'd want to attract a foreign element.

As for the Muslim population, I can see the Spaniards being much harsher than the French, at least until the late 19th century. Even the Jews of Tetouan in Morcco fled to Algeria during the Spanish invasion in 1860.

Perhaps I should have clarified what I meant when I said a "Spanish Congo". I did not mean that Spain would get what became the Congo Free State and later Belgian Congo. I meant a colony spanning the territory between the Niger River Delta and Ogooue River as agreed upon with Portugal during the 18th century. The colony would stretch westward with the Congo River being the eastern border.

Such a colony would include present day Equatorial Guinea along with parts of the following Gabon, the Republic of Congo, Cameroon, Central African Republic and Nigeria. Perhaps it could be called Spanish Equatorial Africa, or even Spanish Guinea as this area was all called Guinea. I just thought of Spanish Congo since it would border the Congo River.

In that case, Spanish Equatorial Africa would be best, though I can see where "el Congo" would be used in Spanish as shorthand for the entire region. In that case, you're in the clear. (Also clarifies the TTL entity with the OTL Spanish Guinea, which only existed as a unified unit during the 20th century.)