Space race in an Eisenhower third term timeline.

I still dont get what a circumlunar flight would do for you.

Otl, Apollo 8 was significant, true. But 1) it was largely as a stepping stone to the planned landing, and 2) some of the power of the imagery of the 'blue dot' wasnt foreseen.

So, i suspect that a manned circumlunar flight as its own end goal wouldnt even be considered.

You could get photos of Lunar Farside, I guess. And maybe even an "Earthrise" photo. If it happens here, it's because it's the absolute most that Ike probably would consider, and NASA would have to take what it could get.

But in the end, you're right: It's not nearly the coup that a landing is. And the Soviets will realize that.

You could get photos of Lunar Farside, I guess. And maybe even an "Earthrise" photo. If it happens here, it's because it's the absolute most that Ike probably would consider, and NASA would have to take what it could get.

But in the end, you're right: It's not nearly the coup that a landing is. And the Soviets will realize that.

???? that doesnt require a manned mission.

Unmanned lunar probes and orbiters make sense, scientifically and politically, manned orbiters, not so much.