So lads, i got this ATL idea a year back...

It's called 'Great powers' and I thought of an idea that is rather complex and I am ironing out the details. The reasons and certain events range from ridiculous to 'alright, that makes sense'
I will not make this a timeline until I have EVERYTHING ironed out. I need to pass some life goals, learn more about political systems and history. When I make this Timeline, I want it to be bloody brilliant enough that I'll get at least a nomination for an award. Call me a vain prick, but hell, I wanna go 100 percent.
So, help a lad out.
I'll post backstorys tomorrow.
I WILL GET A GOD DAMN MAP EVEN IF IT KILLS ME

Great Powers in 1900:
The Great British Empire.
The Chinese Empire Of Qing.
The Third Republic Of France.
The German Empire.
The Empire Of Austria-Hungary.
The Russian Empire.

Nations Of Notice:
The Kingdom Of Italy.
The Ottoman Empire.

The Chinese Empire Origin
The Chinese Empire: After the absolute roflstop of the Opium War, China and her citizens were shaken. They lost to a island nation not even near the size of the Middle Kingdom! Despite traditionalist resistance in court, the Emperor had made up his mind.
What followed was three decades (1840-1870) of modernisation, with intrigue, murder, setbacks and advancements. It was the stuff of epics and the rich amount of diaries, documents and recorded debates between the traditional 'Emperors Eunuchs' and reformist 'White Loutuses' formed a comprehensive, detailed history and it is one of the most popular topics of history. It was a close run thing, and until year 26 the modernisation effort was always at severe risk at being stopped.
The person who contributed the most to the effort was Emperor Xianfeng, a charismatic intelligent man with a knack for the liberal sciences. It was he who started the Qing Constitution in 1860, to be finished by his grandson Gungaxu in 1884. Xianfeng often consulted with the Bureau of Modernisation (Created in 1840 by the Daoguang Emperor) on the next step that china should take. Xianfeng:
Finished Reforming the Imperial Army.
Started work on the Imperial Navy.
Started and Finished on the reformation of education and made it available to the masses.
Personally oversaw the Imperial Railroad project.
Fatally struck the Emperors Eunuchs with the arrest of several hundred top government conspirators, and executed them in the name of treason.
He died in 1861, but he would be honoured, and currently there is a statue of him in Beijing which is visited by Chinese and westerner alike.
After the westernisation the Chinese decided to test out the new technology at their disposal. Of course, who better to test out the new tech than on Britain, and in the war of Vengeance (1871) the British were overwhelmed (They even got into India!) and all concessions were rendered null and void, and Hong Kong retaken. Macao was bullied back into Chinese hands, and several hundred philosophers in Europe meanwhile, raised eyebrows. The white man had been beaten by yellows! Preposterous!

Back in China, a revolution of all topics advanced. Philosophy, History, Politics, Science, Maths, Education, you name it, a flood of ideas engulfed the Empire. Previously a stagnant nation, China became the leading country in innovation, and it had new ideas. Mainly, it took a page out the US constitution, and ideas and liberty gripped the educated elite. The future Emperors education also changed in line with democratic ideals. In 1884, Emperor Gunagxu continued his grandfathers work and finished the Qing Constitution, in which rights of minorities are respected, all men, universal women's rights, and the ability to vote for a President, and his prime minister. Several parties formed:
The Chinese Communist party.
The White Lotus Party.
The Party for Traditional China.
The Dragon Party.
A parliment with 600 seats formed, and the ability to allow legislation which the Emperor wanted to pass, and parliament could veto it in case it didn't have more yes votes than no votes. This ensured that the Emperor still had a role to play, but didn't have absolute power.

After conquering Vietnam and Laos in 1874, China in 1894 had a massive loss when their erstwhile friend Korea was annexed by Japan. A massive war followed, in which surprisingly, Japan won. The Chinese were surprised by the suicidal tactics of Japanese soldiers, and the inch-by-inch warfare. The first documented use of Trenches, and in September the Chinese actually experienced a mass shock when the Japanese launched a naval inavasion near Nanjiing, and very nearly took it if it wasn't for the massive guerrilla resistance they encountered and the fact that Chinese railways were very effective, they would have captured Nanjiing. And in fact, the final straw came when the Emperor himself nearly died by a Japanese assassination attempt. The men were told to leave in early November 1894, and many Koreans were recorded tearful, and there are actually photos taken of Soldiers leaving notes saying "We'll come back for you friends! Stay strong!"
In 1900, the scars left by the war are deep, and Japanese and Chinese hate each other with a burning passion. Yet the Empire remains an innovative hotspot.
And that is not even the peak of Sino-Japanese hatred.

Last edited:

Deleted member 100251

This seems interesting so far. Keep up the good work. May I ask a question?

Deleted member 100251

In the lists of the great powers of 1900 you list mostly European powers, and China. Where's the US? (Or would that give away spoilers?)

Note: I after consulting with Xianfeng Emperor, I may need to edit my China part to make more sense. Therefore, whenever I am in need of updating a certain part of the story I will edit the original post.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
Abraham Lincoln was not amused when he found out that Britain was supplying the CSA, and what's more, France was as well. Not just ammunition and such, but food, clothing and full on artillery.
Unknown.jpeg

Seriously guys? The nerve of these people...

So, the old world wanted to intervene in our business eh? Well, fine.
"Gentlemen, as we all know, the British and French have deemed it worthy to supply our enemies. The Monroe doctrine forbids us to... intervene in the old world. Well, they have decided to intervene in our side of the earth, so what I propose is a full-on armament. The army and navy shall be increased to the hundreds of thousands of soldiers, sailors and marines. The expansion of the United states shall also be a priority. Into Mexico, Central America, Cuba, and the Southern Spanish states. We shall unite the new world to combat the old!"
-Abraham Lincoln to Congress in 1863. The 'Expansion act' caused mass isolantist rage, and believers of Manifest destiny had a light orgasm.

After the Union won the Civil War, Lincoln had enough political capital to push the Act through congress in 1865. After a failed assassination attempt on Lincolns life, a lot of rebuilding and a complete reorganisation of the American Armed Forces,the 'Wars of Expansion' (A seres of wars where America eventually conquered the whole north and south American continent) began. The First war of expansion against Mexico in 1874 was a resounding success, and little loss of life for the american troops. The complete annexation of a lot of Hispanic land means that the resentment against their conquerors is strong. But the sudden increase of Hispanics (and end of slavery) means that the American white man is quite outnumbered in case of a mass revolt.
So, an addition to the constitution in 1875 dictated the equal rights of minorities, and non-whites. Former confederates seethed, but screw them.
The Second, Third, and Fourth wars Of expansion (1878, 1880-1888, 1893-94) Saw America gain respectivelyCuba and the Spanish Caribbean islands, Canada, and The Central Americas.

American industry boomed, and the American people never had it so good. GDP was huge, and cities and industrial mini-cities popped up all over the place.
Yes sir, in 1900 it was great to be American...

Mexico and Canada seems like a bit too much. Maybe annexing Canada and reducing Mexico and her Hispanic neighbors into a rump states under American control, Soviet style?

Nah. I want America do own ALLL America! That means north and south! Full annexation! USA! USA! USA USA! USA!
I'm beginning to wonder if I should have put this in the ASB thread...

Chinese Parties and the Chinese parliamentary seats in 1900:
The Party for Traditional China: Founded by Dowager Empress Cixi, this party aimed for the complete reversal of all modern technology and an isolantist policy, effectively putting China back to square one. Unsurprisingly, this party is extremely unpopular, and only disgruntled nobility and hardcore Confucian philosophers supported them.

The Chinese Communist Party: This party was founded by Yichang Mao, and basically followed Marxist communism,but soon would develop a fascinating new mindset under Mao Zedong, Yichangs son and groomed successor.

The Dragon Party: Founded by Song Qing, the Dragon party was a imperialistic party that wanted a militaristic state that would devote all it's resources to crushing the west and the Japanese. It also said that barbarians need to be extinguished once and for all for eternal peace to reign.

The White Lotus Party: The most liberal and pragmatic party, it was founded by Kang Youwei and is the most popular Party in China. The White Lotus party wants a redo of sorts with the west, mild military expansion and a annexation of Korea as well, plus a massive colonisation effort. There is also a movement within to start a interventionist policy to improve the rights of women and non whites toiling away in the empires across the world. The Phillipines and the Indonesian islands have been left mostly untouched, while Australia and New Zealand are British territories. However, the natives will be treated with respect, and while armed conflicts cannot be avoided, they will actually be civilised and eventually assimilated into Chinese culture.
But, the party is beginning to fragment. The 'Red' faction wants a more... brutal colonisation effort and more military spending. The 'blue' faction wants a total pacifist approach and wants to subsidise the Japanese like the Han with the Xiongu. The 'white' faction is made up of men and women who want to focus completely inward, and leave the world alone, regardless of the pain that non whites go through. But for now, it is stable...

The Dragon Party: 197 seats.
The Party for Traditional China: 59 seats.
The Chinese Communist Party: 101 seats.
The White Lotus Party: 243 seats.

Last edited: