Skyscrapers in Totalitarian Country?

Wolfpaw

Banned
In a communist italy, you could have the lenin tower of pisa.:):p
emot-sotw.gif

Oooh, also: stayed in the gently rotting, prostitute-riddled Hotel Ukraine (now the super-spiffy Radisson Royal) while travelling in Russia with college, back in 2004. The 'Seven Sisters', as they call them, are inhumanly vast.

I visited Moscow a couple of years back and wandered around Moscow State University, which is one of the Seven Sisters. The building is gigantic and made or at least faced with brick.
200-p.jpg

A lot would also depend on viability and resources. Much of those proposals from Nazi Germany and that ghastly Palace of the Soviets just were not realistic proposals and too ambitious to ever see reality.

The Nazis also proposed a massive development called the Volkshalle, which, while not technically a skyscraper, was pretty damn huge dome.

albert_speer_dome_domed_hall_hitler_architect2.jpg

volkshalle%202_439278.jpg

The thing would have been 950 feet tall! So, it's well beyond the technical height of a skyscraper.

Of course, it was never built.

Neither was Deutsches Stadion, a proposed 400,000 seat stadium in Nuremberg.

stadio1.jpg

211703.jpg

But these were all impractical. They were so bold that, in reality, the development of such a project just wasn't realistic. So, I'd wager that completed skyscrapers in totalitarian nations would be similar to what you see in, say, Pyongyang - boxy, built from concrete and drab.

birds-eye_view_of_Pyang.jpg

I think this because, in the end, it's all about efficiency. It's why, in the Soviet Union, you had housing that looked like this:

06_0379_79.jpg

So, while you would certainly see more unique architecture here and there, I think on the whole, the style would be very similar to what you already see in totalitarian countries, especially those cut off from the entire world - namely, North Korea.

Bolder wasn't always better and the failed plans shown in this thread prove just that. In the end, I think many of these countries would embrace economy building over glamorous building.

Would they have a structurized city plan?
Or just "monuments at city centre, everything else is up to us"?

As others have said totally depends on the local culture, the era, the trends, the resources available, etc...
Though the stereotype and the way to make a completely grim totalitarian dictatorship is brutalist concrete blobs.

I give you the Palace of the Soviets that was meant to go up in Moscow but the Germans got in the way. And yes, that is a fuck off massive statue of Lenin on top of it.

That concept art alone proves that Communism (and most other political ideologies of its ilk) are little different than state-run religious cults. ;)

To the point of the thread :

Personally speaking, I think alternate Soviet skyscrapers wouldn't look too different from OTL ones. Even if the more traditionalist strands prevailed, it wouldn't be too different from OTL constructed 1930s-1950s Soviet grand architecture and high office blocks. An after-Stalin SU would have skyscrapers comparable to those of the western countries - but (depending on its economic situation) - would usualy be far fewer and often a lot shorter in overall height. But free-standing tower-like structures and radio masts would be equal to those in the West.

Some examples of East Block skyscrapers or high-rise buildings in SK :

P04159618_STV.jpg
34I-13164_-21982_40.jpg

druzba1md0.jpg

DU_Garbiarska_2VEJA-r970_res.JPG

tlaciarne_a_tower__.jpg

vyskova.jpg

But these were all impractical. They were so bold that, in reality, the development of such a project just wasn't realistic. So, I'd wager that completed skyscrapers in totalitarian nations would be similar to what you see in, say, Pyongyang - boxy, built from concrete and drab.

I think this because, in the end, it's all about efficiency. It's why, in the Soviet Union, you had housing that looked like this:

So, while you would certainly see more unique architecture here and there, I think on the whole, the style would be very similar to what you already see in totalitarian countries, especially those cut off from the entire world - namely, North Korea.

Bolder wasn't always better and the failed plans shown in this thread prove just that. In the end, I think many of these countries would embrace economy building over glamorous building.

My thoughts exactly. Though that last photo of yours doesn't show public buildings - those are "panelhouse" blocks of flats. But I understand you were using them as an example.

Generally speaking, I doubt any OTL (or ATL) totalitarian regime would constantly favour glamorous architecture over utilitarian/pragmatic one. Monuments to leaders or the government/ideology would be more glamorous (often built as a display of power, technological provess, etc.), but expect the common people to live and work in far less imaginative buildings. In essence, functionalist architecture of the interwar period, but on acid and even more boring in its shapes. That's the better outcome. The worse outcome is Lecorbusierian-style concrete human hive stuff. Or something of the brutalist school (monolithic, giant, slabby - or just built to appear that way, constructed from what are actually non-monolithic materials).

Last edited:

Wolfpaw

Banned
Residential high-rises are mostly going to be ugly, brutalist and drab concrete or kleptocracy-quality pre-fab.

When it comes to the more monumental structures, yes they were ridiculous. That being said, "impossible" is not in the fascist vocabulary, and at the end of the day Communist regimes are far more practical than the theatrics-worshiping (and hyperphallophillic) fascists.

In short: the SS is going to be a lot more comfortable working infinity-plus slaves to death over the Volkshalle than the Soviets ever would be about something as unnecessary and ornamental as their Palace.

i would love to see a skyscraper in the sagrada família style.

Franco orders to honor Gaudi and to design a skyscraper in sagrada família style :)