Shadow Chancellor - David Miliband

There's been a lot of timelines that explore David Miliband's attempt for the Labour leadership circa 2008 to 2010, and the effects that might happen should he become manage to become leader (and therefore PM if pre 2010 or Leader of the Opposition if 2010).

What about another idea - what if, after Ed wins the leadership instead of [going off in a sulk that makes Edward Heath look like a good sport/deciding his priorities lies outside of politics*] he decides to suck it up and accept his brother's offer of Shadow Chancellor and takes the fight to the Conservatives/Lib Dems.

How might the next five years play out, and the results of the 2015 election?

On the one hand, I can see some minor benefit from having David Miliband onside and working with Ed - might be worth a few seats. On the flip side is the fact that Ed Balls wanted that job so badly (and was so pleased when Alan Johnson gave it up) I can see him making mischief which may undo whatever good work the two Milibands might achieve.

Does it change anything in 2015?

* Take your pick really

I guess it's probably unanswerable because if you're modifying his petulant baby post-defeat persona to make this possible, pretty much everything is possible.

I guess it's probably unanswerable because if you're modifying his petulant baby post-defeat persona to make this possible, pretty much everything is possible.

Didn't think of that!

I considered the PoD to be September 2010, but maybe it's way back in the 1970's!

I can't see it making all that much difference, personally-the boon of having David "inside the tent" is cancelled out by the ongoing fude between David and Ed (weather it's real or imagined by the press).

At best, David's presence may cause just about enough butterflies to enable a hung parliament in the Conservatives favour, though even that's pushing it.

That said, this does leave David a potential leadership contender after 2015-though I'm not sure if he'd be a spent force by then, being too closely associated with the election defeat.