Seven Days to the River Rhine: the Third World War - a TL

The country effectively became a dictatorship. The Second Emergency, which had begun in 1983, was finally lifted in 1994 when Indira Gandhi retired from politics (she passed away in 2010, aged 93).
That butterflies away Indira Gandhi's assassination in 1984.
The Lima Charter, with which the Latin American Union was formally established, was ratified by its founding signatories in 2003 after eight years of hard work
This reminds me of the South American Confederation in 1983: Doomsday.
India of course responded by forming the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) composed of twelve countries: Brunei, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. ASEAN was not as integrated as the LAU, but nonetheless was a significant political, economic and military bloc. It was a bloc promoting intergovernmental cooperation and facilitating economic, political, security, military, educational and socio-cultural integration in the Asia-Pacific.
ASEAN was already formed in the 1965 but it would be forgotten for the time being just like in 1983: Doomsday.

Since there are strikes in the Philippines (with Manila being destroyed) and also in Vietnam (Hanoi, CRB, Da Nang, Haiphong), I'd expect these countries to be destabilized. The Philippines would probably relocate its capital to Laoag or any city not nuked, while Vietnam would face hordes of Chinese refugees and rogue PLA. As of 1983, the Vietnamese and Chinese still had border clashes. This would only end in 1990 IOTL.
The Australasian Confederation (AC) was formed in 2001, mirroring the Latin American Union. It was composed of Australia, New Zealand, the Republic of Kiribati, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of Nauru and the Republic of Palau. This integrated political bloc, trade bloc and mutual defence alliance covered much of the Pacific Ocean. The Republic of the Northern Marianas, previously a US Commonwealth, joined the AU after formally proclaiming its independence from the United States in 2003.
Another that reminds of 1983: Doomsday.

Guam and Wake Island was nuked so it would be a dead zone. The Marianas would have been drenched in fallout. Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshall Islands were still Trust Territories under the U.S., so without the U.S., it would turn to the Southern Crosses for aid. Would this also include American Samoa and other reefs and atolls owned by the U.S. such as Jarvis Island, Howland Island, Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, and Midway Island? What about Hawaii?
A consequence of China’s resurgence and, was that Japan had already scratched the provisions of its constitution limiting the Japanese Self-Defence Forces by the late 1980s. The Japanese Maritime Self-Defence Forces became the world’s largest navy by the early 2000s. It’s also no coincidence that Japan launched an initiative to establish multilateral mutual defence pact, first approaching their pre-existing allies Australia and New Zealand. In 2001, the Pan-Pacific Defence Pact was formed with Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam and the Philippines as its founding members states after they had signed and ratified the Kyoto Protocol (the others members of the Australian Confederation eventually joined too). Besides that, Japan also seriously began to consider a nuclear weapons program of its own.
I'm glad the JMSDF mostly survived. Most of their warships are not routinely deployed, but since the onset of Able Archer would mean these would have been deployed far from port as places like Yokosuka, Sasebo, Kure Maizuru, and Shimenoseiki would be targeted.
Given their differing interests, the Brazilian-Indian Rivalry fortunately was a friendly one rather than a new Cold War (several Pacific powers on the other hands were worried about China’s ascendance). Moreover, Brazil and India were just the two biggest players within a wider club of large players. China, Australia, New Zealand, Israel and South Africa were powers to be reckoned with. The bipolar dynamic of the Cold War had been replaced by a multipolar world, with several power blocs competing for dominance: this resembled late 19th century geopolitics.
This is like the rivalry between the ANZC and the SAC in 1983: Doomsday.

Brazil and India would be the new superpowers.

Btw, what is the control of the U.S. here? How would they react seeing some of their territories falling under PPDP control?

I don't know about South America or other parts of world but the Middle East and Africa should be having massive issues with food shortage if not outright famine in the 1980s and 1990s.

Also given the nuking of two Israeli cities expect Samson Option to take effect and outright genocide or at least ethnic cleansing of any Arabs from river to sea

Also given the nuking of two Israeli cities expect Samson Option to take effect and outright genocide or at least ethnic cleansing of any Arabs from river to sea

Why Israel would nuke whole Middle East since Arabs weren't attacking? Wasn't that only meant to be used only in case that state of Israel was to be destroyed by Arabs? Since Soviets nuked Israel it would be idiotic nuke innocent countries.

@Onkel Willie awesome updates, writing about such a speculative large-scale setting is probably pretty daunting and even if writer's block had killed your ability to do it, I would have understood. thanks

Why Israel would nuke whole Middle East since Arabs weren't attacking? Wasn't that only meant to be used only in case that state of Israel was to be destroyed by Arabs? Since Soviets nuked Israel it would be idiotic nuke innocent countries.
Maybe those are pre-targeted missiles?

Marshall Islands were still Trust Territories under the U.S.
I could see Kwajalein Atoll being hit with a sub launched missile(s) due to its prominence in the US ABM research/testing. This includes state of the art radar tracking facilities. It also includes airfields and a large lagoon/harbor facility.

ric350

I could see Kwajalein Atoll being hit with a sub launched missile(s) due to its prominence in the US ABM research/testing. This includes state of the art radar tracking facilities. It also includes airfields and a large lagoon/harbor facility.

ric350
Yes, Kwajalein would definitely be targeted.

Why Israel would nuke whole Middle East since Arabs weren't attacking?
Because nuking Tel Aviv and Haifa would seriously weaken Israel and leave it open to attack from the various Arab nations.
Wasn't that only meant to be used only in case that state of Israel was to be destroyed by Arabs?
No, it is to be used if large parts of Israel was destroyed or under threat. Which would be the case with nuking.

Since Soviets nuked Israel it would be idiotic nuke innocent countries.
Innocent nations and populations which want to destroy Israel and who Israel has fought various wars with. Wiping out the various Arab nations is part of Samson regardless of who actually attacked/nuked Israel.

Unsurprised that this Japan scratches the self-defense clauses. After all, there is no one left who might complain, and China just across the sea is still a powerful entity.

That butterflies away Indira Gandhi's assassination in 1984.

Yep, sure does.

This reminds me of the South American Confederation in 1983: Doomsday.

I modelled it on the EU, with a NATO-esque defence aspect added.

ASEAN was already formed in the 1965 but it would be forgotten for the time being just like in 1983: Doomsday.

Hence that coincidentally the same name was chosen. I made an edit to that chapter.

Since there are strikes in the Philippines (with Manila being destroyed) and also in Vietnam (Hanoi, CRB, Da Nang, Haiphong), I'd expect these countries to be destabilized. The Philippines would probably relocate its capital to Laoag or any city not nuked, while Vietnam would face hordes of Chinese refugees and rogue PLA. As of 1983, the Vietnamese and Chinese still had border clashes. This would only end in 1990 IOTL.

In the 80s and early 90s yes, but this update takes place in the later 90s and early 2000s.

Another that reminds of 1983: Doomsday.

Guam and Wake Island was nuked so it would be a dead zone. The Marianas would have been drenched in fallout. Micronesia, Palau, and the Marshall Islands were still Trust Territories under the U.S., so without the U.S., it would turn to the Southern Crosses for aid. Would this also include American Samoa and other reefs and atolls owned by the U.S. such as Jarvis Island, Howland Island, Kingman Reef, Palmyra Atoll, and Midway Island? What about Hawaii?

I figured these US trusteeships would break away while at the same time Australia and New Zealand step into the power vacuum. Don't think they'd go for Hawaii, as it's an actual American state.

I'm glad the JMSDF mostly survived. Most of their warships are not routinely deployed, but since the onset of Able Archer would mean these would have been deployed far from port as places like Yokosuka, Sasebo, Kure Maizuru, and Shimenoseiki would be targeted.

This is like the rivalry between the ANZC and the SAC in 1983: Doomsday.

Brazil and India would be the new superpowers.

Btw, what is the control of the U.S. here? How would they react seeing some of their territories falling under PPDP control?

I imagine the US would be in no position to enforce their rule over these former trusteeships.

What's the fate of apartheid in TTL? Wasn't it already starting to crack under P.W. Botha by TTL's WW3, with him granting representation to Coloureds and Asians?

Pangur

Donor
What's the fate of apartheid in TTL? Wasn't it already starting to crack under P.W. Botha by TTL's WW3, with him granting representation to Coloureds and Asians?
Good question, SA is now cut off from any open or covert western support so just maybe the Africaans push hard for their own nukes and the use them

There might be influx of European and American racists. Perhaps several European neonazis and many members of Ku Klux Klan could find their way to SA. Of course it would be long and difficult trip since there is not much of ways to travel anymore but still possible. But probably Apartheid will end anyway. But there wouldn't be now globabl sanctions and boycotts and SA is seen as acceptable partner.

Good question, SA is now cut off from any open or covert western support so just maybe the Africaans push hard for their own nukes and the use them
Nuclear weapons can't do much about the internal transformation starting in South Africa at this time.