Sending the Cold Shoulder, Yet Another Alternate NFL

Chapter 3, The 1987 draft

BucsDraft198401_8col.jpg

-Excerpt from A Swashbuckling History of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, By Selena Roberts

Chapter 8, Steve Young

The Bo Jackson debacle would turn out to be a sign of things to come for the Buccaneers in 1986. The team started off the season with a pounding from the 49ers, 31-7, and a sloppy 23-10 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. Steve DeBerg, who beat out second year QB Steve Young for the starting job, was benched following 9 interceptions in the two games. Young propelled them to a 24-20 victory over the Lions. However, this would turn to be the one of the lone bright spots for the Buccaneers the rest of the season. A crippling injury to Pro Bowl tackle Marvin Powell doomed the running game, and by week 10 had lost both starting running backs Jerry Bell and Nathan Wonsley. The Buccaneers headed into freefall, letting go of ends Jimmie Giles and Kevin House, both of whom at the time were the all-time leading Buccaneers receivers. The Bucs dropped 10 of their last eleven, including their last 7. Upper Management was in turmoil, and head coach Leeman Bennett was fired at the end of the year.

The only bright spot was the play of the aforementioned Steve Young. While his 8-13 touchdown to interception ratio wasn’t exactly blowing the stadium roof off, his display of athleticism impressed team scouts from across the nation. As the Bucs put Young on the trading block, A fierce bidding war erupted between several teams to harness the raw talent of Young. Having the first overall draft pick, the University of Miami phenom Vinny Testaverde fell right into their lap, causing this trade. DeBerg, the veteran, was seen as a tutor to the would be Buccaneers QB Testaverde, and left Young to be dispensable.

The first team to approach the young Young was the St. Louis Cardinals. The Cardinals, eventually decided that a more sufficient talent could be picked up in the draft, and fled the talks. The Packers, especially head coach Forrest Gregg, held major interest, but decided that the cost of a second and a fourth was too much for the raw Young, and He too fled. The bidding war was down to two players, who coincidentally happened to be the 2 most successful NFC teams last year, the Bears and the 49ers ...

-Interview by Bill Walsh, 6/23/07

Steve Young might have been just the most raw talent I had ever seen. He had the arm, the legs, the intellect, the total package. The only flaw is that he played on a goddamn awful team. I doubt Joe in his prime could throw more than 20 touchdowns in a season with that line and those backs and those receivers. When I saw Young going up on the trading block, I wasn’t surprised. The Bucs were looking to dump a QB because we all knew Vinny was going to Tampa. But I knew I had to have him. When the Bucs said a second and a fourth I knew that was a steal. I mean, the guy could be the cornerstone of our team for a decade and a half.

-Excerpt from an interview by Steve Young, 2/12/08

I remember the trade like it was almost yesterday. I knew from the reports that I was going to be traded, and it was only a matter of time I heard the news. April 24th, I believe it was. I was actually on the toilet when I got the phone call, and I had to hurry and pull up my pants to get the phone. Hugh Culverhouse, the Tampa owner, personally called me up and told me I got traded. I wasn’t surprised, I knew it was going to happen eventually, but it was still kind of a shock. Now it’s kind of a joke in the family. The first thing I did after the trade was called up my parents and said “I just got traded to the Bears for a 1st and 3rd round draft pick and all I had to do was to go to the bathroom!”

1987 NFL DRAFT

San Francisco 49ers

1st round, 28 overall: Gregg Rakoczy, C, Miami

2nd round, 56 overall: Bruce Wilkerson, G, Tennessee

3rd round, 65 overall (via Eagles): Jerry Ball, DT, SMU

4th round: Traded to Seattleh

5th round: Traded to Eagles

6th round, 143 overall (via Chagers): Greg Lloyd, LB, Fort Valley St.

7th round, 184 overall (via Seahawks by way of Vikings): Harry Swayne, T, Rutgers

7th round, 185 overall (via Seahawks): Gene Atkins, DB, Florida A&M

8th round, 224 overall: Rod Jones, TE, Washington

9th round, 251 overall: Bruce Plummer, C, Mississippi St

10th round, 279 overall: Chuck Paye, QB, Stanford

11th round, 292 overall (via Falcons), Elbert Shelley, DB, Arkansas St.

12th round: Traded to Falcons

Chicago Bears

1st round: Traded to Buccaneers

2nd round, 54 overall: Ron Morris, WR, SMU

3rd round, 71 overall (via Raiders by way of Packers): Frankie Neal, WR, Fort Hays St.

4th round, 110 overall: Leon Seals, DE, Jackson St.

5th round, 138 overall: Will Johnson, DE, Northeast Louisiana

6th round, 166 overall: Bo Jackson, RB, Auburn

7th round: Traded to Packers

8th round, 221 overall: Paul Migliazzio, LB, Oklahoma

9th round, 249 overall: Lakei Heimuli, RB, BYU

10th round, 277 overall: Dick Chapura, DT, Missouri

11th round, 305 overall: Tim Jessie, RB, Auburn

12th round, 334 overall: Tyrone Braxston, DB, North Dakota St.

Last edited:
I know its a CFL reference but this TL gets a rouge. I'm so down with it, I was sold after the Steve Young quote because I heard him saying that in my head. All I ask is you keep true to my beloved Bengals in the 80's because if it wasn't for Joe Montana spotting John Candy, and breaking the tension, Boomer would have had his ring. I digress; I'm reading this.

Well, King of the Uzbeks already put in a good word with the Bengals, so we'll see.

Jackson AND Young? That's gonna hurt.

Well, Bo Jackson right now is kind of pissed at the NFL because the Bucs cost him his senior year of college baseball trying to convince him to play in the NFL. It took a lot of convincing from Al Davis for him to go to sunny Los Angeles. Jackson is still commited to play in the MLB, but Ditka and the Bears will try to persuade him otherwise. You also have to remember that Walter Payton is still the running back for the Bears, and though he hasn't announced his retirement this season yet as he did OTL, he's still reaching the end of his career. It might be a bit before we actually see Jackson on the football field.

Sorry if you thoughy this was an update, but it's not.

I'm not going to have an update for a bit, haven't had any time to write and I'm going to the Packer Game tomorrow so I can't write until at least Monday. Just thought y'all might want to be informed.

No USFL in this TL?

The POD of this was in January 1987, as the USFL was already folded by that time

Please keep this going! We need an NFL TL here!

I've been having trouble with my computer since mid November. That and an increase of schoolwork has broght my production of this timeline down to a standstill. While I can post stuff from my phone, I can't actually type the story unless I am on the computer. I won't have a lot of homework the next week or two, so I've been hoping to get a couple updates in before the workload gets back up at the end of the semester.

The POD of this was in January 1987, as the USFL was already folded by that time

I've been having trouble with my computer since mid November. That and an increase of schoolwork has broght my production of this timeline down to a standstill. While I can post stuff from my phone, I can't actually type the story unless I am on the computer. I won't have a lot of homework the next week or two, so I've been hoping to get a couple updates in before the workload gets back up at the end of the semester.

That makes me very happy.

Sorry if you are expecting an update. I wrote up about 75% of the thing before I realized that there was a major continuity error and had to scrap the whole thing (Stupid Harbaugh killing the Packers as a coach in the playoffs and ruining my timeline as a quarterback not drafted by the Bears). Pretty stupid on my part, but I wrote some today and there will probably an update tomorrow, though.

Chapter 4, 1987 SEASON, PART 1.

Ditka's Dilema

mike_ditka_-_jim_mcmahon-bears-1985.jpg

-From Mike Holmgren’s autobiography The Holmgren Way, My Life's Story

By 1987, I was having some of the best years of my life. We were winning Lombardis left and right, two in three years, It was pretty good. The only problem that surfaced was Montana’s back. He injured it in 86, but over the offseason he aggravated it playing golf. The doctors told us that Joe Montana was risking serious injury playing football. Joe shook them off once, he was more than happy to do it again. I still didn’t let him play throughout the preseason, and it showed during the regular season. We got thumped by the Bengals 30-13 and the Eagles 27-10. Joe looked rusty. Now, he eventually came out of it, like all great quarterbacks do, but we could tell the injury was something that we should have been worried about, especially as he was getting up there in age. Joe was only 31, in the prime of his career. We knew he was one of the best in the game, even slightly injured. Still, it wasn’t impressive having the defending champs going 1-3 in their first 4 games...

-From SI Interview from "William Refrigerator" Perry. 2/21/09

Peter King: So I understand that the offseason was a bit turbulent for you guys

William Perry: If you’re referring to McMahon, you could say that.

PK: Well, what exactly happened?

WP: Well, McMahon was injured for the season last year, and that kind of forced Coach’s hand. You saw what happened in the NFC Championship game last year. It got ugly. There was already a rift in the locker room between Coach and Jim, and they were both guys who didn’t easily budge off their stance. Jim wasn’t real happy with the Young move, Jim and Coach didn’t really like each other. McMahon just happened to get injured in the preseason, which was perfectly fine by him. He didn’t want to play for us anyway. But Steve was still a bit too young for Ditka’s taste for some reason, so we went with Mike Tomczak.

PK: Whose side were you on?

WP: You know I ain’t gonna tell you which side I was on.

PK: You can’t hurt a man for trying

-Steve Young, 2/12/08

I didn’t mind being on the bench. I mean, yes, I’d rather be on the field, but I don’t expect Ditka to hand the keys to the franchise to a guy he just picked up from another team. And when Jim McMahon came back against Philly, that was fun. I don’t think McMahon really cared on who was coaching him, he personally made a vendetta against Buddy Ryan that day. He torched him for like 350 yards and like, 5 touchdowns. It was great seeing McMahon playing like he did when I was on the bench at BYU. McMahon’s best game of his career came that day, and Ditka seized his opportunity while the hammer was still hot…

-Transcript of Sportscenter, October 7, 1987

Bob Ley: Welcome back to Sportscenter where we have breaking news out of Chicago during this commercial break

Chris Berman: Yes, Bob, this just came in a moment ago. The Chicago Bears, after their destruction of the Philadelphia Eagles just a single week ago, have traded starting quarterback, Jim McMahon, to the Cowboys. Dallas, who earlier this week lost to the Jets with their quarterback, Danny White, throwing 3 interception, are now 1-3 on the season. The facts are still coming in, but it is reported that the Cowboys have traded their 1st round draft pick to the Bears. The Bears have also traded a later round draft pick to the Cowboys, though that has not been confirmed

Bob Ley: We will have more on that story when we have more info.

Just been skimming through this TL, but so far its been a doozie. Bo Jackson and Steve Young, both on the Bears? I'm no Bears fan (Go Pack!) but I'm ready to follow Ditka's team like it was my own ;):D. Keep up the good work packman!

Chapter 4, The 1987 Season, Part 2
The Top Two Q's and Tomczak, Too

t_27372_04.jpg

-Steve Young, 2/12/08

I think the whole league was shocked by the McMahon move. I certainly was. I mean, the guy throws 5 touchdowns, against one of the best defensive minds to ever coach the game, and then we go ahead and dump him to conference rival? I don’t think that’s in the “How to Coach Football” textbook, unless its in the section on what not to do. Anyway, Tomczak still got the job, which kind of pissed me off. But whatever. Mike did OK, he beat the Lions, Vikings or something, but he laid an egg against New Orleans. He threw like 5 picks or something and I got some mop up time. We were down like 24 points or something. Coach wasn’t really happy with how the team was playing, so he came up to me at the end of the game and said I was starting the next game. I felt pretty good about it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Transcript of Bears-Buccaneers game, Oct. 25, 1987.

Dick Stockton: Here he comes, Dan, the long awaited start of Steve Young to the Chicago Bears

Dan Dierdorf: This is personal for Steve today. First start against the team that traded him away, now Vinnie already went three and out.

DS: First play, Young fakes handoff to Payton, Young drops back fires, hits Payton on the left flank at the 30, tackled by Armstrong on the 33 yard line

DD: That’s a great play right there. Going to the back instead of trying to force it into coverage. I don’t know about you Dick, but Steve Young seems pretty good

DS: I agree, though Testaverde has looked pretty good since Deberg went down

DD: He hasn’t played any good defenses yet… Ooh, nice run by Payton right there… I think I need to watch more of Testaverde before I can make a decision on him.

DS: Well, I guess here’s your chance today. Chicago still has a decent defense, this is probably one of the best he’ll see this year.

DD: Not to mention Tampa’s defense isn’t that bad either, we can see how Young does today.

DS: Here’s the snap, Young steps back, he steps up in the pocket, he’s off … dodges a defender on the 50

DD: He’s got blockers ahead of him

DS: Young cuts back at the 35, he’s still going … he cuts back again before running out of bounds at the Tampa Bay 26.

DD: That’s a 30 yard run by Young, Walter Payton himself probably couldn’t do better. This kid may be a bit raw, but he’s gonna turn into something.

-From SI Interview with William “Refrigerator” Perry

Peter King: How different was Steve different than Jim McMahon?

William Perry: Just watching them, Steve and Jim had kind of the same style, both had decent legs, strong arms, liked to run around a lot. The thing that I thought Steve was better than Jim was Steve was always more loose on the field. He just wanted to have fun out on the field. Jim was more controlled; Steve was just like a kid out there, even in the later years. Without his spunk, we probably wouldn’t have done as good

PK: Spunk?

WP: Yeah. Steve had spunk. I don’t know how else to say it. It was really fun having him lead the team. And it helped that he was better than McMahon. A lot better. And It showed in the standings, too. We won a whole bunch of games after that. And then we hit San Francisco…

-Ronnie Lott, January 17, 2008

I won’t lie, I was worried in the beginning. 1-3 didn’t shout “Championship team” Joe was struggling, and Roger wasn’t doing good either. After we got drubbed against the Giants, and Bob Gagliano got put in the third and the defence played like crap. Man, that was a bad game. I remember coming into Atlanta thinking there’s no fricking way we could win this game. And then Joe sat down the whole team that Saturday before the game, a players only meeting, and said “Hey, we can do this. We got this.” That’s all he said, not a word more

I don’t know what it was. Maybe it was what Joe said, maybe it was Joe’s back finally being healed, maybe it was the worst team in the league we were playing. But we just went out and demolished the Falcons. I pitied their souls that day. 63-0. Worst shutout in NFL history. We scored 9 touchdowns. Joe was on fire that day. Jerry caught like 5 touchdown passes. At the time, we really didn’t care that we just pounded the worst team in the league. We really just needed to get our spirits up. And boy, did we play well after that. Including that game, I think we won like nine or ten straight games. And then their was that game against the Bears...

Hello, Everyone and anyone.

I don't know if anyone still cares an iota about this, as it's been a month and a half, but I want people to know that I still care about this timeline. I haven't been able to write in a while because I wanted to take a break due to the playoffs (didn't want to wank the Packers and let my emotions get in the way of plausability), and during that time my laptop went to hell. I will get a new laptop, but I have decided to put this on a temporary hiatus for now. I need to get the creative juices running again and I want to flesh this out more than I have been and put this in a clearer direction that I feel confortable with. I will return to this.

Thank you