SECCS: ST15RM's Easy Country Coloring Scheme

Should I split the Celtic parts of Britain into its own section?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ST15RM

Banned
Well if you're doing a language map then 'German' is fine (though we've had a number of people do this before) it's just if you're then trying to use this as a way of doing a political map in which case, um yeah it doesn't really work.

As for why I'm criticising it, because we've got about 2 dozen of the bloody things which have been started in the last couple of years and then just die because nobody uses them and I'm trying to work out why anyone even bothers anymore.
Ok..
I kinda want to do a color scheme, but I think that if I use it in my maps, then people can see it, and hopefully use it. I hope that languages will keep this scheme going.

Ok..
I kinda want to do a color scheme, but I think that if I use it in my maps, then people can see it, and hopefully use it. I hope that languages will keep this scheme going.
this happens every time some one starts making a new scheme, just try not to let it get to you

Ok..

Then just use it in your maps and don't bother with the whole 'here's a new colour scheme'. Just post the maps.

ST15RM

Banned
Then just use it in your maps and don't bother with the whole 'here's a new colour scheme'. Just post the maps.
Just, can we end the discussion? I get it, you're sick and tired of new color schemes dying, I'm gonna try my best to keep this one alive. I'm getting a lil annoyed about pointing out all the bad things in my plans. I just wanna work on my darn color scheme!

@ST15RM , I am not sick nor tired of new colour schemes. I want to see your scheme and I look forward to it! I support you wholeheartedly and I will only judge a colour scheme - or anything else - when I have seen it.

So the reason why nobody does languages is you can't distinguish them from dialects? The thing is, dialect clusters can have a language color, and for language maps, you don't have to have political boundaries, in Alex Richards' example, he says you couldn't distinguish Austria from Germany without putting all the other dialects. I don't think that's the point of a language map, it's just showing where people speak a language.

Well, I wasn't the one to pick up on dialects, but since you're addressing this to me, there is that well-known adage that a language is simply a dial3ect with an army and a navy. This is in fact why Slovak had no recognition as a language before the Czech-Slovak split. Those two languages are closer together in mutual comprehensibility, than, say, Alabaman English and Scouse English.

tbh, I'm kind of annoyed at how "colour scheme" has become the current cool thing to do. This isn't just because I was "first" in the current renaissance of such projects. A big part of my hope was to unify the various pre-existing schemes, which with the plethora of schemes we now have, is even farther from happening than before.

But by all means, go for it. There's no harm another scheme can do that hasn't already been done. And some good may come of it.

A big part of my hope was to unify the various pre-existing schemes, which with the plethora of schemes we now have, is even farther from happening than before.

That's a bit unfortunate, but how many people have tried to unify lands or regions or continents and they ended up more divided than before... That can happen!

But by all means, go for it. There's no harm another scheme can do that hasn't already been done. And some good may come of it.

Yes! Let's all think positively!

there is that well-known adage that a language is simply a dial3ect with an army and a navy.

Haven't heard the "navy" part of it, but I know somebody claimed "a language is just a dialect with an army" - and used that on another forum to explain (more or less) mutual intelligibility of Luxembourgish to German speakers. Luxembourgish can sometimes be better understood - some even claim: can be better understood by all North Germanic speakers above the Benrather Linie - than extreme variants of Bavarian or Austrian German.

Just gonna be quick.

If he wants to do his colour scheme based on language, let him do it. If you don't want to, do your own colour scheme aswell. I did that and works well.
I support SECS, SUCK and whatever colour schemes appears here, it's just a different way of crativity related with maps.

ST15RM

Banned
@ST15RM , I am not sick nor tired of new colour schemes. I want to see your scheme and I look forward to it! I support you wholeheartedly and I will only judge a colour scheme - or anything else - when I have seen it.
It's not you. It's Alex, the dude who was not happy about this scheme, but I'm happy you're on board.

ST15RM

Banned
Just gonna be quick.

If he wants to do his colour scheme based on language, let him do it. If you don't want to, do your own colour scheme aswell. I did that and works well.
I support SECS, SUCK and whatever colour schemes appears here, it's just a different way of crativity related with maps.
Your support is appreciated!;)

ST15RM

Banned
Since school got canceled because of the nor'easter that we had, I have plenty of time to work on this. Expect updates soon.

I can't see why people keep complaining about things like this. If they don't like this, they don't have to use it. Anyway, I came here to give you a heads up. On the SUCK thread, there have been complaints about not being easy for colour-blind people to distinguish it. If someone comes here and does that too, just ignore them. No scheme is perfect, and the more countries/states/regions are included, the better.

Languages

ST15RM

Banned
Here's my progress on the language part of SECCS(yes it is muturzikin but it's fine)
langkey.png

Here's my progress on the language part of SECCS(yes it is muturzikin but it's fine)
This makes no sense. Splitting up the dialects of English, but lumping in the Celtic languages in just "Northern Celtic" (never heard that term, it's normally Goidelic) and Brythonic?