Sealion- the landing possibility

Now. Before flaming etc.

I wish to say, I have already devoted a dissertation on the possibility of the landings in Britain by the Germans.
I determined the best (though by no means at all successful) period for invasion was June/July 1940 when the Royal Navy and armed forces were at their lowest ebb.

However my research (based on info from the British national Archives) was not whether the invasion fleet could cross, but if they could land!
It seems that most of the proposed beaches were entirely unsuitable for vehicles or tanks, many being pebbled.
As for infantry, many were guarded by heavy fixed positions (pill boxes etc or sea walls) or were so far from vital targets as to be unimportant and too small to resonably supply from for any semblance of invasion.

Airfields could be captured by paratroopers, but this risked the almost elimination of the Germans entire Airbourne force on one campaign for fields which could be made redundant by fixed obstacles or defences near to the locations.

Therefore, I believe Sealion could of occured.... at the right time.... though this was a short window.... but still had no chance of success due to logistical and geographical issues.
What are your thoughts?

not sure if this can be construed as mean, but...

attachment.php

Ah, but, I'm not suggesting it was successful, but am asking the geographical and/or logistacal capabilities of realistically landing anything on the shores of Britain!

The shouting this will ensue will probably only be equaled by you claiming to be an Objectivist or something. :(

I believe the best time for the Germans to invade England would have been some time prior to 6500BC when England was still connected to the European continent.

Torqumada

sharlin

Banned
Short turn gains followed by a rout would be the end results. Cut off from supplies the Germans would be doomed.

Nope, Plymouth Uni actually!

I'm only really asking whether the landing zones themselves would be suitable for discourging an army of up to 12 divisions (the planned initial amount) including equipment and supplies until ports were (potentially) captured and made functional.

Last edited:
Have read sticky, acknowledged said sticky .... and found that It doesent answer my question.
This may be something for our east coast UK brethren to answer if they live near the sites.

Maybe do a "flyby" with Google Earth. You can see how much of the southern coast is cliff-face etc from there pretty well.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
The difficulty, assuming you handwave the usual, insurmountable, issues with reach the beaches in the first place, is maintaining supply of the forces.

The ground troops will have around 60 rounds per man (90 if they are issued an extra ammo pouch), and most will be carrying part of the squad's MG 34, its ammo, part of the platoon's 50mm mortar or mortar rounds. They will have tow, maybe three, days of rations and two canteens. The airborne troops will have less and be utterly reliant on air resupply.

The ammo is enough for a day's fighting (or a bit more for the rifles), but after that its game over without resupply. Even if the KM managed to get them across the Channel, the chances of resupply are effectively nil.

Every Heer member who gets to the beach is in a PoW cage inside of two weeks.

I had something called War Plan Rose I drew up. It wasn't for the Germans, but rather the Dutch. It called for an invasion of Britain in Yorkshire, and rapid movement west to cut the island in half. After that, attack south and eastward. OF course you'd need an actual navy to pull it off.

Oh my gosh this has been debunked so many times. ANyway suffice to say it cant succeed because of logistics, manpower, navy, supply chain, etc sorry:
However here is a sealion pick that is quite funny:p Please dont take it seriously. However Seelowe is asb due to above reasons.

17504.jpg

I think we are being a little unkind here, the op is actually adding to the reasons for failure which have so oft been discussed. I have ploughed through the sticky from A to Z(ed) ;) resupply is well discussed but the actual beaches not so.
Having lived in Kent and now Hampshire I have pondered about this. The two best beaches I can think of are Camber Sands and Bournemouth. Most of the South Coast is shingle (happy to be proved incorrect). When you think of the amount of time spent on ensuring the beaches for Overlord were suitable, let alone the other staff work, in comparison to the "we we land from Ramsgate to maybe Dorset and march inland" ad hoc plan from the other side of the hill.

Why do people always have to be such assholes on here about Sealion? This is an alternate history forum, after all, and it was an actual plan drawn up, even if it was unrealistic. Geez. :confused:

We could be turning away a quality poster in Andy just because of this type of attitude.