Sealion '41

Interesting subject - again

Would USSR still have dispersed their industry as per 1941? I see USSR having an additional year to ramp up their production, especially of T34/KV1's.

Now, the channel is not a river crossing. That said, when is it a river crossing of magnitude and not a channel crossing? What if Germany had hurled everything floating at getting across, claiming that if they are successful, there is no more need for a navy?

An interesting point is that "air superiority" was deemed necessary. HOWEVER, UK did not have that at Falklands, which worried the admirals, I believe, but they managed anyway. Is there a parallel to be drawn there? was it too much to aks for? Could they have achieved the crossing with less air cover?

(The only scenario I see where Sea Lion could have succeeded would have been an immediate invasion upon reaching the coast in 1940. Never mind the rest of France. No Dunkirk. Everything floating and shooting to back it up)

But I believe the German staff didn't even have a plan for an invasion. I always thought a staff should have plans for everything (invasion of Canada springs to mind).

Ivan

Ivan

sharlin

Banned
When the two sides armoured forces clash there's also going to be a battle of doctrine. The soviets were still recovering from the purges in 41 but in 42 they've had another year and perhaps will be a bit more organised. I still think the Germans are going to get the fright of their lives when they encounter massed T-34s and KV-1's for the first time. At the time the Soviet's would not have had mobile tank hunter's like the SU-76 or SU-85 to provide mobile firepower as if memory serves they were a wartime change of production, turning generally useless light tanks into something helpful (if a deathtrap for their crews)