• I love it

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • It's OK

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters
Chapter 15: Return to New France
In the fall of 1782, the French returned to Canada and began the process of returning Quebec and Newfoundland to what Voltaire had called "a few acres of snow" a couple of decades earlier. King Louis XVI made it clear to his ministers that his intentions for the newest parts of France would be to unlock the economic potential that the two colonies harbored, as well as to rekindle the alliances that the French had held with the Indians. For the various tribes living in Quebec as well as the Ohio Country, it meant that the Americans, British, and French would be played against each other just like it had been before the French and Indian War. That meant that tribes such as the Iroquois would be facing tough decisions, and whomever could pick the right alliance would become a major player on the new map of North America.

France decided to send General Charles Dumouriez to be the military governor of Quebec to establish French control over the colony. Dumouriez arrived in Quebec City in the winter of 1782, and began to carry out the process of turning Quebec back into what it had been decades before. He began by combining Newfoundland and Quebec into the province of New France, restoring the traditional name of France's holdings on the American mainland. The Catholic Church was returned to a place of prominence in the colony, taxes were established, and the colony began to become more French over the next few years. Contact was made with the traditional Indian allies France had held, and militia units were established to aid in the defense of the colony.

One of Dumouriez's soldiers who was sent to New France was a young Corsican artillery officer named Napoleon Bonaparte. Having graduated from Brienne by this time, in early 1783 Napoleon had arrived in Quebec, and was able to set up and train Troupes de la Marine who would be able to better argument New France's defenses. On the ship coming over, Napoleon had studied the French and Indian War, and had noted how the French needed to make the most of troops that they had, figuring that the next war for North America would come sooner rather than later, with Britain looking like a power who had a point to prove after 1782.

The young officer threw himself into the duty, and the Troupes were coming along nicely. It was in New France that Napoleon's reputation as a charismatic and effective leader was born, especially as he had taken notes of what the American militias had done during the Revolutionary War, and Napoleon had been able to blend his traditional European tactics with the American tradition of fighting, which would prove to be an important milestone in his tactical development. During this time, Napoleon would also get a look at the tactics that Indian tribes like the Iroquois and Huron would use as part of New France's policy of restarting the traditional alliances with various Indian groups.

One day on a training exercise, Napoleon was talking with a young warrior about their experiences growing up, and how it seemed like things were changing fast in North America. The young warrior mentioned how despite the best efforts of his delegation, that his people had been ignored at Vienna, and that the Indians would have to make important choices. The warrior also mentioned that he and his brother had been talking amongst the tribes of New France, the Ohio Country, and parts further about what their next steps were going to be. Napoleon wasn't sure what it meant, but he knew that the question of who's land it was in this part of the world would be decided in blood, and that this New World would be defended by a leader who seemed to be a greater version of Pontiac 20 years further. Little did Napoleon know it at the time, but Tecumseh would go on to achieve his promise, and his actions would alter North America forever.

The next day, Napoleon wrote to his superiors in Quebec. In his letter, he made it clear that "Tecumseh is someone who has the capability and intellect to become a major player. It is best that we keep an eye on him. The risk we take by underestimating him could be bloody for our goals in this region. No matter what, I fear that he has ideas of creating something that could be powerful, even more than the Iroquois and Pontiac's War combined." This warning would fall on deaf ears, as New France was confident that they would have the same success that their predecessors had before the French and Indian War. But little did they know that the later part of the 18th and early part of the 19th century would see the frontier of America in flames, and the ambitions of multiple players in this part of the world would be tested, and Tecumseh would be right in the middle.

Author's Notes: And we are back. And yes, in the last chapter it was Tecumseh and the Prophet who saw firsthand how they were rejected, similar to Ho Chi Minh in OTL at Versailles. Napoleon getting outside of Europe is going to have a big impact on his career, and how that will play out is going to be a lot of fun to write. Tecumseh is one of my favorite American historical figures, and him playing a big role in the development of the frontier is something that will change how America views westward expansion. The butterflies are starting to flap a bit faster, and I hope you are enjoying this. Thanks again for reading, and if you have any questions and comments feel free to share them.

I wonder what Nappy has to say about Montcalm in this TL. "I am better than him, Monsieur, for I am Napoleon!"

On the other hand he finally has an excuse to learn English better,

Nice to see this TL back in action again. I do have a question though. Are we going to get a map of North America following TTL's Version Revolutionary War?

Nice to see this TL back in action again. I do have a question though. Are we going to get a map of North America following TTL's Version Revolutionary War?
To answer your question, I'm not great at graphic design, and probably would need to invest some time and trial and error to create a map. But if anyone wants to make a map, that would be incredibly appreciated.

I wonder what Nappy has to say about Montcalm in this TL. "I am better than him, Monsieur, for I am Napoleon!"

On the other hand he finally has an excuse to learn English better,
I think that Napoleon would have some interesting things to say about Montcalm, and he is going to be learning English better.

When I was starting out thinking about this TL, I almost considered having the POD be something during the French and Indian War, and Montcalm was going to be involved in it somehow. Montcalm has always been a commander that has interested me, especially because his legacy is so contested.

I personally think that Montcalm did better than what was expected given that he was outnumbered, and had a European perspective and couldn't shake off his views on the militia and his native allies. I don't blame him for Fort William Henry, as that was something that was more about differing cultural views on war. What I do blame Montcalm for is not working well with Vaudreuil, and I feel that he wasn't more aggressive during the siege of Quebec. But in fairness, the French strategy of focusing on Europe was flawed, and blame for that goes to the French ministers and King Louis XV. And I do have to give credit to Wolfe for doing a really great job during the siege of Quebec. Wolfe played his cards almost perfectly. Montcalm played his hand well, but Wolfe played his hand perfectly.

In the Peace of Vienna, who received Nova Scotia?

Was it the French, the Americans, the British kept or was it a split between USA and France meaning France received the northern portion (OTL New Brunswick) and USA received southern portion of OTL Nova Scotia plus a land bridge to it.

Was it the French, the Americans, the British kept or was it a split between USA and France meaning France received the northern portion (OTL New Brunswick) and USA received southern portion of OTL Nova Scotia plus a land bridge to it.
Ultimately, this is why I think a map will be helpful. It creates a better idea of what's actually going on in North America.

Map after Treaty of Vienna.
1659324466789.png

Here is what is hopefully a not so bad map showing the aftermath of the Treaty of Vienna. Blue is New France, Brown is the United States, Pink is British Canada, Orange is Hudson's Bay Company, dark Pink is Florida and Louisiana, and Grey is New Spain. The dark yellow is disputed land.

Great TL so far.
Thanks, and it's glad to hear from a veteran board member.

Ultimately, this is why I think a map will be helpful. It creates a better idea of what's actually going on in North America.
Hopefully the map answers questions.

Chapter 16: Enter Shays
Chapter 16: Enter Shays

After the Treaty of Vienna was signed and America was given their independence, the question was what would the new country look like? The Articles of Confederation had been in place for a few years, but the many problems with the document could no longer be ignored. Congress was finding it almost impossible to raise taxes to pay off their debts to France and Spain, and they had to create the very foundations of a government that was to live up to the revolutionary ideals that the Sons of Liberty had been echoing back in the 1760s. But even the most ardent proponents of tearing up the Articles of Confederation couldn’t conceive what was to come.

All across America, soldiers were returning home to discover that they were facing poverty. Since the Continental Army had been waiting on back pay, these veterans were suddenly finding out there was eviction notices on their farms. Nowhere was this more apparent than in Massachusetts. The state government of Massachusetts were dominated by merchants, not farmers. All across the state, meetings were taking place by veterans wondering how they were able to keep their farms and shut down the courts, and were ready to do so by any means necessary.

By the summer of 1784, a leader had emerged amongst the disgruntled veterans. Daniel Shays was a farmer who had served for 5 years in the army, and had returned home in 1780. He was owed back pay, and was struggling to keep his land, which was his livelihood. In meetings all across the state, he railed against the state for how they had let down those who had sacrificed so much without pay, proper clothing, and all of the supply problems that were a chronic issue for the Americans during the war. To make matters worse, the 1781 campaign by Carleton had made it much more difficult to tend to the land, and the scars of that campaign were not healing fast enough for the veterans. On August 6th, Shays had raised a group of 5,000 that were ready to take their demands to Boston to close the courts and get the back pay that they were owed, with plans to go to Philadelphia to pressure Congress as well if all went well in Boston.

Needless to say, the prospect of 5,000 men who were going to be armed alarmed the state government, and the militia was called out. Command of the militia was going to go Benjamin Lincoln, but then Nathanael Greene was asked to take command. Greene, who had returned to Coventry in Rhode Island couldn’t ignore the chance to make sure that his work in the glory year of 1781 wouldn’t go to waste. “It is my duty to make sure that this rebellion by these veterans be put down to avoid undoing the work that has gone into building independence. This hour is getting dark, but we need to press on to avoid something that could be bad.” He said that in a letter to his wife Caty, and immediately made plans to protect the state arsenal at Springfield.

Shays’s plan was to get to the arsenal as fast as possible, and to use the weapons in the arsenal to further arm the protestors. On August 29th, Shays’s men arrived at Springfield to see that Greene’s troops had arrived first, and were prepared to fight. Shays ordered his men to line up, and Greene did likewise. Shays’s men attacked first, and Greene’s militia held, as the fighting soon became a desperate mixture of guns firing and hand to hand combat. Slowly, Greene’s milita was able to turn the tide, and by nightfall Shays and some of his other officers had made their escape. Shay’s rebellion was over, at the cost of 1050 total casualties, wounded, and escaped on Shays’s side and 800 total casualties and wounded on Greene’s side.

The Rebellion was over, but the fear of what Shays could have done with more men had ripped a hole in the Articles of Confederation, and there were calls for drafting a new document that would govern America.

Author’s Notes: So Shays’ Rebellion is more bloody here, but it will mark an important landmark in TTL America. Greene happens to be in the right place at the right time, and this will add to his reputation for the future, which sadly in OTL never came thanks to an early death. Some quotes came from Wikipedia. I’m glad to see that people are liking this, and this has been fun to write. Hopefully you enjoyed the map as well. If you guys have any questions or comments, feel free to share them.

nice update but just fyi, casualties covers both dead and wounded so using the phrase “casualties, wounded” is redundant and unnecessary.

Perhaps Dunmore and Clinton's offer of freedom to Slaves, could be expanded iotl, 100 thousand were freed. Perhaps, more prominant figures on the American side could defect as Arnold did.

Perhaps Dunmore and Clinton's offer of freedom to Slaves, could be expanded iotl, 100 thousand were freed. Perhaps, more prominant figures on the American side could defect as Arnold did.
Glad to hear that you find this to be interesting, and thanks for the praise. Yes, the British did free some slaves, but it's around OTL levels due to it being viewed as British desperation as in OTL than being a genuine offer.

Chapter 17: Flight of the Loyalists
Chapter 17: Flight of the Loyalists

After the Treaty of Vienna, the Loyalists knew that they were going to have to leave if they haven’t already. The hurried scramble to get berths on the British ships that were evacuating the 13 Colonies were famously captured in the painting “Fleeing New York” by Charles Wilson Peale. The mad dash of Loyalists poised a problem for Carleton, who had a limited number of transports available to evacuate New York and other areas under British control at the end of the war, and competition for berths on those transports allocated to civilians was strong. Based on eyewitness accounts and primary source documents on display at the Museum of New York City, offers up to hundreds of pounds were offered to British officers and officials for transport back to England. While this might sound crazy to modern audiences, what is important to remember is that during the Revolutionary War there was a pattern of officials and officers taking extra money on the side and various conflicts on both sides that defrauded the public of money that was allocated to various accounts. Carleton was even accused of taking bribes, but historians debate that allegation to this date, and any evidence that has been uncovered is at the very least murky.

Those Loyalists that were able to leave Britain were able to settle in primarily one of three places. The first location was in Canada, where Loyalists were among the first settlers of what is now named Markham. The land around Markham was considered the perfect place to start new homesteads, and the British government was looking to get land settled in case another war would break out in North America in the next few years. The American Quarter of Markham is one of the oldest neighborhoods in that part of North America. One of the other important group of people who settled in Markham was former slaves who came with the Loyalists to try and live a better life. As a result, Markham would become one of the most racially diverse areas in North America, and the impact of the former slaves can be traced directly to this day, with strong cultural roots being placed in the city which would have a deep impact in the years to come.

The second location where the Loyalists would go to is London. Benedict Arnold would settle in London, where he would find none of the praise that he was expecting for betraying the American cause. Little did he know that he would get another chance to face the countrymen he betrayed on the field of battle, and this time it would be for a far different prize. But that is another story for another time and place. London attracted a wealthier brand of Loyalists, who would in due course try and run for local office owing to their status as British citizens, though they would have to build up patronage networks and figure out how to navigate a British system that hadn’t been reformed in ages. Still others would move to Newcastle, Liverpool, and Southampton in search of employment, and those would get involved in the various industries that would lead to the Industrial Revolution.

The third place that the Loyalists would go to would be New Providence Island in the Bahamas. It was still in British hands, and the warmer weather would allow those who would want to try and become involved in the lucrative sugar trade, and to start life anew. But for some men, the choice of going to the Bahamas would mean something much darker. During this period the Royal Navy needed to constantly make sure that they had the sailors that were required, and there weren’t a whole lot of volunteers. Thus, the Royal Navy engaged in the practice of impressment, and New Providence Island was one of the most notable hunting grounds, which meant that those who had fled to the Bahamas and were sailors were among the most prominent groups who were impressed. This practice would soon become infamous in North America, and the practice would contribute a tenuous relationship between the British government and the Loyalists, who some in the British government blamed for the loss of the 13 colonies. That issue would fester under the surface, and the British were wary of doing it in American waters in the next few years, which meant that American sailors were less at risk of impressment.

Author’s Notes: And we are back. So, Impressment is going to look a little different, and the choice of Markham is also deliberate as a city who will grow in importance. And yes, Benedict Arnold is not going to quietly leave the pages of history like he did in OTL. Thanks so much for reading, and feel free to share any thoughts or comments you may have. I really appreciate that I have a collection of interested readers who seem to be enjoying this.

And just as I got some vintage West Point atlases! Could be useful if there's another scuffle coming... especially with that "impressment" you keep mentioning... :evilsmile:

And just as I got some vintage West Point atlases! Could be useful if there's another scuffle coming... especially with that "impressment" you keep mentioning... :evilsmile:
They could be very useful.

I do see impressment still happening because the Royal Navy still needs sailors, and the British have to answer for some of their choices. Needless to say, Lord North's reputation isn't high after his handling of the war.