Romans reach the source of the Nile

ar-pharazon

Banned
So in AD 61 Emperor Nero sent a Roman expedition south of Egypt to find the source of the Nile.

This expedition did explore into Nubia and perhaps even modern Uganda but it did not find the source of the Nile River.

What if this expedition had been successful?

How would that affected future Roman policy towards subsaharan Africa?

That's a very long walk down to northern Kenya. I suppose it would depend on which peoples they ran into, and how well the Romans tempered their... Romanness of everyone else being a barbarian.

Was Nero just curious about the source or was there a more practical reason? I doubt Roman policy would've changed much. The Sahara remained a barrier but there was already substantial trade with Africa--the source of wild beasts in the arena.

Greek and Roman interest seems to have been more knowledge for it's own sake than any practical reason (although with Nero who can tell).

There was also a much earlier expedition recorded by Agatharcides up Nile under Ptolemy II Philadelphus. They got far enough to determine that the seasonal floods were caused by rain in the Ethiopian highlands but not locate the source. I also wouldn't be surprised if there had been at least a few pre-Hellenistic Egyptian expeditions as well that escaped recording.

After considering, I think the biggest impact might be psychological and cultural. If the source of the Nile is known much of the mystery of Africa disappears. Instead of "here be dragons" on the map this knowledge connects that place and people to the world.

Last edited:
Was Nero just curious about the source or was there a more practical reason? I doubt Roman policy would've changed much. The Sahara remained a barrier but there was already substantial trade with Africa--the source of wild beasts in the arena.
It wasn't so much the Sahara as the Sudd that was the barrier in this case. After all, if you're on the Nile or traveling along the Nile the major difficulty of getting through the Sahara--no water--is taken care of.

I'm not entirely sure how the Romans are supposed to get through the Sudd, though, considering that even the European explorers who did find the Nile didn't actually do it that way.

Honestly, I think the main impact would be a genuine interest by the Romans to conduct military expeditions in that direction. No great invasions, but establishing control further and further south, securing trade.

After all, with a map that takes you that far south you can have people look for gold, iron, wild animals, slaves, all sorts. I'd go so far as to suggest that even with the difficulties of the Cataracts and the Sudd, just being able to travel that way opens new areas for the Romans to exploit, and so eventually set up small waystations and forts to guard those routes.

This could have two VERY different impacts concurrently.

1) Disease. So much disease exchange. Whilst it isn't massive quantities of trade, it isn't safe for the Romans, and in turn, the Romans introduce new diseases into Africa. If they eventually balance out and Sub-Sudd Africa develops an immunity to Roman diseases and vice versa, then this massively expands both of their worlds.

2) The "Rhine Forts Effect" - effectively settlement. The Romans are inevitably going to need to buy supplies of food from the locals - shipping it all from Egypt would just be mad. So just like in the Rhine Valley, loads of nearby people can potentially make themselves quite wealthy not just trading goods, but food to these forts. Whether this leads to improving local agriculture, adapting Roman techniques, or hybridising them, I'm unsure - but I can certainly see it leading to a taming of the Sudd in some way.

If that route can be maintained, you could potentially have new ideas lead to increased urbanisation in the Lake Victoria region earlier.

I’m skeptical of the Romans’ ability to project power much further down the Nime directly. Maybe if they had a Red Sea presence they could project some power from the coast, but the cataracts are a huge barrier to effective control.