Risk game map help/critique

A friend and I are working on a game map for a improved game of risk. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated. I'll upload the map from my desktop.

Also, give the territories better/more geographically suitable names. The main offenders from the classic Risk board are "Ukraine" (which is actually Eastern Europe and European Russia) and "Afghanistan" (which is nowhere near the actual Afghanistan), not to mention all the territories in the Russian Far East like "Kamchatka" (I can't recall the others off the top of my head)

I don't think more sea lanes are nessessary. It is already pretty balanced, what it does need though is better names and make it more prettier.

Braking down the map into more regions like Britain, France and Iberia Iberian peninsular instead of "western Europe." It will help make the game a bit slower and more tactical based, instead of the blitzkrieg where you just smash through a few large territories that I've encountered. More regions means you have to deploy your pieces more carefully.

- Hawaii needs to be on the map. Any new sea route from Asia to the Western USA should pass through it.

- Have a Madagascar to Australia sea route. It sounds ludicrous IRL, but it's a game changer. Bye bye to players who block Siam to amass troops on Indonesia/Australia/New Guinea.

Also, give the territories better/more geographically suitable names. The main offenders from the classic Risk board are "Ukraine" (which is actually Eastern Europe and European Russia) and "Afghanistan" (which is nowhere near the actual Afghanistan), not to mention all the territories in the Russian Far East like "Kamchatka" (I can't recall the others off the top of my head)

You're right, except "Afghanistan" actually does include the actual Afghanistan.

I would suggest splitting Africa up more. Separate North and West Africa.

There are LOADS online (though not very easy to search for), try looking for some online RISK game sims for some that should be balanced.
Here are just a few:

World.jpg

attachment.php

gordon_risk_sm.jpg

I remember the online game RISK II offered new islands:
completeboardat20percen.jpg

Here's one I like, if you want a nice detailed game:

Massivenames.jpg

Oh, wow, I like the Antarctica dynamic in those last few maps! It really opens up the southern parts of the board to interesting plays.