Richard The Lionheart has a son

Hmm seems reasonable to me. I half imagine Richard sending John either to the tower for incompetency or sending him to Ireland when he's fully dealt with his mess.
If he sends him to Ireland imagine the sheer hurricane of excrement that would be whipped up with John there long term... John really was a very average commander at best. Could he do anything of use there?

VVD0D95

Banned
If he sends him to Ireland imagine the sheer hurricane of excrement that would be whipped up with John there long term... John really was a very average commander at best. Could he do anything of use there?

Other than be out of the way of London, probably not. I can half imagine Richard maybe looking to send John on another crusade if there is one, to get him out of the nation, or maybe sending him on a voyage somewhere to serve as an ambassador.

Well he did marry Berengaria so surely the easierst PoD is to say that the marriage was consummated and the Queen delivers a son in March 1192. After the arguments over the planning of the campaign for Jerusalem, Richard decides to leave with his wife and heir for England rather than be led by the French. He returns home in midsummer butterflying his shipwreck, capture and ransoming and hence arrives home with his family in the autumn of 1192 before John's usurpation of power has time to take hold. Without the ransom - two years income for the English crown - Richard is in a stronger position in England and in France. Even if dies as OTL in 1199 his son will be difficult to displace and if he can manage to stay alive for another 10 years the succession would be secure.

VVD0D95

Banned
Well he did marry Berengaria so surely the easierst PoD is to say that the marriage was consummated and the Queen delivers a son in March 1192. After the arguments over the planning of the campaign for Jerusalem, Richard decides to leave with his wife and heir for England rather than be led by the French. He returns home in midsummer butterflying his shipwreck, capture and ransoming and hence arrives home with his family in the autumn of 1192 before John's usurpation of power has time to take hold. Without the ransom - two years income for the English crown - Richard is in a stronger position in England and in France. Even if dies as OTL in 1199 his son will be difficult to displace and if he can manage to stay alive for another 10 years the succession would be secure.

This is very true. I may change my timeline then. So, if Richard does his duty, consumates the marriage and Richard junior is a wedding night baby as it were, then Richard returns for England, avoiding a whole load of mess that fucked over his brother later on, that could only be for the good. The question thus arises is that, does Richard still go on the crusade or avoid it completely?

This is very true. I may change my timeline then. So, if Richard does his duty, consumates the marriage and Richard junior is a wedding night baby as it were, then Richard returns for England, avoiding a whole load of mess that fucked over his brother later on, that could only be for the good. The question thus arises is that, does Richard still go on the crusade or avoid it completely?
Richard seems the sort to only do something if hes in charge - or at least one of the ones in charge.

I don't think you could stop Richard going on Crusade - I do think he could storm off in a fit of pique at his campaign plan not being adopted especially if he has a wife and new born son and heir to take care of.

Sometime after the retreat from Jerusalem in June 1192

VVD0D95

Banned
Richard seems the sort to only do something if hes in charge - or at least one of the ones in charge.
I don't think you could stop Richard going on Crusade - I do think he could storm off in a fit of pique at his campaign plan not being adopted especially if he has a wife and new born son and heir to take care of.

Sometime after the retreat from Jerusalem in June 1192

This is very true, would be fascinating if he shows up in late July 1192, starts throwing his weight around, scores a few victories and then they're forced to fuck off home.

Hmm seems reasonable to me. I half imagine Richard sending John either to the tower for incompetency or sending him to Ireland when he's fully dealt with his mess.
Just to say - I'm not sure incompetence is grounds for imprisoning a prince of the blood. Sets a bad precedent and if followed half the royalty of Europe is behind bars...

This is very true, would be fascinating if he shows up in late July 1192, starts throwing his weight around, scores a few victories and then they're forced to fuck off home.
IOTL Richard arrived in June 1191 and was present for the fall of Acre and the Battle of Arsuf. IOTL he quarrelled with the Duke of Burgundy over the strategy for taking Jerusalem in June 1992 - he wanted to attack Egypt whilst Hugh wanted to assault Jerusalem directly. The PoD here is that Richard follows Leopold of Austria and Phillip of France's example after Acre and instead of negotiating with Saladin for the next four months, leaves this to Hugh and departs for home.

This is true, of course Richard would need to find another reason aha
TBH with an heir in the bag and Arthur as a reserve Richard could easily have imprisoned his brother rather than just stripping him of his lands in England. Remarkably soft hearted for such an impulsive and violent man (allegedly)

VVD0D95

Banned
IOTL Richard arrived in June 1191 and was present for the fall of Acre and the Battle of Arsuf. IOTL he quarrelled with the Duke of Burgundy over the strategy for taking Jerusalem in June 1992 - he wanted to attack Egypt whilst Hugh wanted to assault Jerusalem directly. The PoD here is that Richard follows Leopold of Austria and Phillip of France's example after Acre and instead of negotiating with Saladin for the next four months, leaves this to Hugh and departs for home.
Makes sense to
Me where would berengaria and his son be during this time? On crusade with him
Or?

I think with him on Crusade.

She went with him IOTL and hated it - with a young son the nagging to go home would be even more incessant. IOTL she left quite soon after their arrival in the Holy Land - here her condition probably precludes a long journey back to England. So with a birth in March 1192, a return in June sounds about right.

VVD0D95

Banned
I think with him on Crusade.

She went with him IOTL and hated it - with a young son the nagging to go home would be even more incessant. IOTL she left quite soon after their arrival in the Holy Land - here her condition probably precludes a long journey back to England. So with a birth in March 1192, a return in June sounds about right.
Seems fair and no doubt the people will be happy to have their king and queen and now an heir, home

Aha for sure. John's going to get a bit of a shock that's for sure.
John (whilst rubbing his hands gleefully): Aha, with my brother away I shall suborn the treasures of the kingdom, spread my cronies to all corners, consolidate my power ba-
Richard (walking in and grabbing a goblet): Yo, lil bro, Ricky's back! Bring out the account books, meet my wife and kidling, and get off my f***ing throne!
John:.....balls.
Baby Richard(regally): Wah.

VVD0D95

Banned
John (whilst rubbing his hands gleefully): Aha, with my brother away I shall suborn the treasures of the kingdom, spread my cronies to all corners, consolidate my power ba-
Richard (walking in and grabbing a goblet): Yo, lil bro, Ricky's back! Bring out the account books, meet my wife and kidling, and get off my f***ing throne!
John:.....balls.
Baby Richard(regally): Wah.

Lol.

*Few years down the line Richard junior's about eight here.

"Uncle John, why are you always so grumpy?"

"Grumpy? My dear boy, I'm not grumpy, I am merely serious."

"Why are you so serious?"

"Do you want to know how I got this scar?" Points to scar above his right eye.

"Yes, Uncle John!"

"Well it all started when a young Prince was left in charge of a great Empire......"