Return of Horrible Educational Maps

4. Crimea is smaller than Crete, apparently.

but this is not crimea. it's the kinburn peninsula, and crimea just doesn't fit in the map

upload_2018-10-5_22-47-19.png

1. Ireland is flat-out gone, as are the Aegean islands and Malta.

Ionian islands also not map-worthy, it seems. (so no wonder Ulysses couldn't come home. Ithaca is gone)
Doubly weird since the map maker did include the Balearic islands (well, not the tiny ones) and Lesbos and Rhodes are at least twice as large as Menorca and Ibiza and easily two dozen further Aegean Islands are of similar size.
But triply weird that after all that not-drawing-islands the map maker chose to include the Channel islands, so the map maker could include small islands after all... as to why out off all small islands he could have chosen he depicted two who where extremely irrelevant to the map topic we can't even guess.

We're not going to address that the North isn't even pointing to the North of the map?

Taking into account the way that map is drawn the mapmaker probably thought that North was that direction.

Falk

Banned
CIS factoid.JPG

I remember this gem appeared in the Things that look like Alternate History Thread several years ago. I've just rediscovered it.

Which countries are missing. It explicitly says it is for Jerusalem and the Middle East.
Doesn't excuse the fact that Italy has sunk, or that Turkey has been stretched like a wool sweater you washed too many times.

And North Africa, which is part of the region focused on, is almost as bad.

I'd argue that it's not actually bad because it successfully conveys the information it is supposed to, and that information is correct (as far as I'm aware).

That's a fair point but the geography is horrific, and given that its a map that's a pretty big deal.

What makes this map especially unpleasant tot he eyes is that Arabia, Persia and East Africa are depicted more or less correct (given the detail limitations of the map) but already North Africa is significantly distorted (and I won't say anything about Spain, Turkey or Italy)

I mean if you wanna simplify your map that's fine by me but don't throw different levels of detail into it.

Like for example this map, while being kinda ugly probably still does what the creator has intended to use it for:

shutter1.jpg

But suddenly making one country (OK, two actually) very detailed makes the whole thing very weird:

shutter3.jpg

What makes this map especially unpleasant tot he eyes is that Arabia, Persia and East Africa are depicted more or less correct (given the detail limitations of the map) but already North Africa is significantly distorted (and I won't say anything about Spain, Turkey or Italy)
They are showing everything that counts as Europe. And why would the second map be considered educational? It is simply an unofficial editing of the picture, as shown by the identical numbers on them, as well as the broken cross that doesn't reach over the U.K. In the second map. Where did you come across it?

I mean if you wanna simplify your map that's fine by me but don't throw different levels of detail into it.

Like for example this map, while being kinda ugly probably still does what the creator has intended to use it for:

View attachment 413514

Two comments on the original map.
1) Where is Northern Ireland?
2) It looks all of the capitols are approximately correct, *except* France. Paris is way to far west.