Return of Horrible Educational Maps

When you are supposed to make a globe but can't be arsed to actually wrap the continents around it. Or use a properly sized sphere anyways...

badbigglobe.jpg

On such a world Columbus was lucky to run into the Americas, he would never have lasted the long way around.

When you are supposed to make a globe but can't be arsed to actually wrap the continents around it. Or use a properly sized sphere anyways...

View attachment 556392

On such a world Columbus was lucky to run into the Americas, he would never have lasted the long way around.
As someone who considers map projections something of a hobby (have even developed a few of my own :)) I.... am speechless...

I think I may understand the "logic" behind some of it, but as a whole.... it makes the brain ache :confounded:

And now a map from the nationalarchives, which is meant to be educational (heck, "education" is even part of the map's web address)

badww1a.jpg

Probably kinda lucky that the text field obscures much of the map, but I soon found another one where the Balkans ain't covered up by text:

badww1.jpg

And now a map from the nationalarchives, which is meant to be educational (heck, "education" is even part of the map's web address)

View attachment 557637

Probably kinda lucky that the text field obscures much of the map, but I soon found another one where the Balkans ain't covered up by text:

View attachment 557638
Now this... may be the most crap-tacular map of Europe I've seen, "educational" or otherwise. I drew better maps of Europe than that, freehand, on scrap paper, when I was in elementary school.
I especially like the date caption. Amazing that those boundaries lasted from 1839 all the way to 1914!

From the documentary "Nazi Collaborators: The Arajs Commando":

Bad Molotov-Ribbentrop Map.jpg

It looks like they thought that Poland had the same borders before and after World War II!

From the documentary "Nazi Collaborators: The Arajs Commando":

View attachment 558775

It looks like they thought that Poland had the same borders before and after World War II!

The Nazi-Soviet partition line is wrong too. Outside of Lithuanian Kaliningrad oblast I personally can forgive the borders since they are clearly all modern day. Also Estonian islands (and Rügen?) are not coloured. Also Switzerland is apparently 1: Completely glacier 2: under German Control. Also looks like France and Benelux fell but Germany did not invade Denmark and Norway yet. Also showing Slovakia (and Italy?) as German but not the rest of the Axis minors?

Another one from the nationalarchives.

badwwal.jpg

Admittedly the borders are not all that bad (we have much worse in this thread after all) just a wee bit wonky, but I like the size of that Alsace-Lorraine that Germany had to cede ("just draw a wobbly line from Luxembourg to Switzerland, they lost it so who cares where the precise border was?")