Reopened Best Medieval Commander Poll

Who is the greatest commander of the Medieval Era?

• Robert Guiscard

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Bohemond of Antioch

• Hereward the Wake

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heraklios

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Sigurd Magnusson

• Skanderbeg

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Joan of Arc

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Philip I Capet

• Richard I Plantenagent

• Belisarius

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • Raymond de Toulouse

• Alexios Philanthropenos

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Saladin

• Genghis Khan

Votes: 18 19.8%
  • Malik Shah

• William the Conqueror

• Other

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Subotai

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Khalid ibn al-Walid

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Bencomo

• Total voters
Shouldn't Subutai be on the list? He's on most lists I've seen for best medieval commander. It'd be remiss to not include him, especially since you included Genghis.

In terms of pure skill? Could just as well be some forgotten Native American warchief who won every battle he led against impossible odds.

In terms of actual feats accomplished, I’m going to say Subutai or Temüjin, followed by maybe Khalid ibn al-Walid.

Voted Other for Khalid ibn al-Walid. He was the leading general in the Muslim Conquests and led forces to victory, often against overwhelming odds, in the Ridda Wars, the Conquest of Mesopotamia, and the Conquest of Syria.

Now one could make the argument that he wasn't a Medieval Commander, but seeing as you've included Belisarius who died twenty years before Khalid was born I felt he should be included as well.

William Marshal - the man who fought in Henry II's rearguard and nearly killed Richard Coeur de Lion. Later, he fought in the Barons War, and in 1217 effectively held the kingship of England. At the age of 73, he laid siege to the city of Lincoln, breached the gate, led the cavalry into the city centre and fought in the precincts of the cathedral, including exchanging blows with Thomas, Comte de Perche, who died with a sword through his head. He then rode uninterrupted - having taken neither food nor water - to Northampton to deliver news of the victory.

Two years later, he surrendered the regency, told Henry III that he hoped he reigned long and fruitfully, but if he turned out like his father, that he died soon. Marshal died at the age of 74 at his manor of Haversham.

I’m assuming ability to win at a disadvantage, though I mostly copied the old poll.
Ok, Belisarius would be my pick from the options on the poll.

However I think I'll do a write in for William Iron Arm. Because really, who would win, a few thousand Byzantine Themata soldiers augmented by hundreds of Varangian guards, or 300 unemployed Norman knights (and their lombard cheerleaders)?

Belisarius has to take the cake as far as I'm concerned; he consistently won against massive odds from a position of strategic and political difficulty.

Honorable mention goes to Dmitry Donskoi.

Khalid ibn al-Walid went literally unbeaten fighting far from decent supply lines against larger and better equipped armies of hardened vets in two separate empires.

Gonna have to go with the Sword of God.

Shouldn't Subutai be on the list? He's on most lists I've seen for best medieval commander. It'd be remiss to not include him, especially since you included Genghis.

Especially taking into an account that Genghis was a great military organizer and strategist but not too impressive field commander. What is interesting, Muqali is routinely absent from the lists of that type even if conquering most of the North China with a numerically inferior force (and building up an army probably at least twice as big as initial force in a process of campaign) is much more impressive than few successful encounters (with or without small territorial acquisitions) most of the European personages on the list can be credited with.