Remember the Rainbow Redux: An Alternate Royal Canadian Navy

Glad to see a new chapter!

Have never been to Alert Bay myself, only looked at it across the water. Your description of the supply situation in Alert Bay ITTL sounds about right, except for one product. Sockeye season goes from June into August. The cannery would be full to the rafters with canned fish. I would also expect fresh fish to be plentiful, and the Namgis locals would be drying tons of it for the winter, if they were willing to part with it and if the Germans considered it palatable.

Glad to see a new chapter!

Have never been to Alert Bay myself, only looked at it across the water. Your description of the supply situation in Alert Bay ITTL sounds about right, except for one product. Sockeye season goes from June into August. The cannery would be full to the rafters with canned fish. I would also expect fresh fish to be plentiful, and the Namgis locals would be drying tons of it for the winter, if they were willing to part with it and if the Germans considered it palatable.
I appreciate the local insight, I try to factor in all of the info I can but it would seem like the fishing seasons managed to escape me. I'll go back and correct the food situation, it doesn't really change the upcoming events too much regardless.

Good to see this back.
Many of the local shopkeepers were understandably unhappy with being forced to provide supplies to the Germans however, much of their concerns were quickly dashed when their customers promptly paid their bills wholesale in cash. Leipzig’s paymaster had quickly made the decision to save as much physical cash as possible when the ship was sinking, such fortuitous thinking had paid off in the end.
This makes me curious what kinds of money many of these warships would have carried. Not counting the money of their own nation, would they be carrying money for every nation they might visit or would it be some commonly accepted currency like British pounds or US dollars? I assume Canadian businesses would have accepted British or American money at this point in time but I am not sure.

Gold and silver coins of some type definetely and paper currency of some kinds also, Whether US Dollars, English Pounds, French Franc, German Marks, they would try and have some kind of gold or silver coins as a primary method of payment. Some places in time of war would not take paper money because they might not be able to exchange it easily, gold and silver would be accepted. more readily because you don't have to worry about face value, just weight. There is a story in the book Make the Kaiser Dance by Henry Berry that discusses the US Navy and Marines getting payed in gold when they first arrived in France, unlike the US Army, because the Navy made sure they had gold on hand as a universal medium of exchange to use. This was changed after a while because of the exchange rate wit gold to French Francs at the time, but shows how much the Navies planned ahead for overseas units.

Last edited:
New chapter? Nice.

Realistically the odds of the Germans making it back home are comically low, even with luck having been so much on their side of late. More than likely they will be run down in the Pacific heading for safety that is too far away. Being proud German sailors, most of them will be killed because they refuse to run down the colors at first and try to make a fight of it.

Last edited:
New chapter? Nice.

Realistically the odds of the Germans making it back home are comically low, even with luck having been so much on their side of late. More than likely they will be run down in the Pacific heading for safety that is too far away. Being proud German sailors, most of them will be killed because they refuse to run down the colors at first and try to make a fight of it.
Back home, almost impossible. They are headed north, in the direction of Alaska, so they could intern in the US.

Back home, almost impossible. They are headed north, in the direction of Alaska, so they could intern in the US.

If only they could see a few years into the future. XD

That said, that is probably their best choice, and given how much luck has favored them thus far, it will either ensure they run into no hostile ships capable of stopping them, or it will fail them at the last minute leading to their total and abject demise.

If memory serves, didn't Imperial Japan historically enter the war about this time?

Japan sent Germany an ultimatum on August 15 which was unanswered, causing them to formally declared war on Germany soon after on August 23, so we are a bit off from Japan formally entering the war.

Noted. Thank you. Having to contend with the IJN would potentially change the game. As it is, our main cast will likely have the privilege of watching from American soil for a few years as the war slowly but surely goes against their homelands. Such is life.

Birds of a Feather
SMS River Forth would crest the northwestern tip of Vancouver Island around 1000 hours on the morning of August 17, having finally returned from her detour into the Pacific. While they had managed to shake the pursuing CGS Galiano the previous evening, the inconclusive and drawn out nature of the engagement had not been the decisive strike Lieutenant Kraus seemingly envisioned. With roughly 35 men crammed aboard a vessel full of coal and 226 prisoners of war, the situation was already not ideal even before one took into account the physical condition of the crew. Strict rationing had been put in place to accommodate so many mouths yet prisoners and guards alike increasingly found themselves feeling the pangs of hunger. The Canadian nurses roaming the vessel treating German and Canadian alike were somewhat of a boost to spirits but by the evening of that same day, morale amongst the crew of River Forth was showing definite signs of faltering. It was fortuitous that the ship would reach its destination in Queen Charlotte Sound without too much delay, nestling itself in a semi-sheltered area amidst a section of the local archipelago. British Columbia’s extensive lighthouse network made it difficult but not ultimately impossible to find a secluded section of coast permissible to an oceanic cargo ship. With their anchor set, much of the crew would attempt to relax between lookout duty for both potential enemies and their comrades. No proper warships were present in the area to their knowledge but another armed auxiliary vessel could have proved to be their undoing. Engineering staff used the time to do as much corrective and preventative maintenance on the vessel as possible while the officers organized crew drills on deck to keep the men occupied.

Algerine would not arrive in the area until a few hours after sunrise the following day, having exercised much caution to avoid local lighthouses and not find herself grounded throughout the night. The sloop would spend much of the morning sailing towards the agreed upon rendezvous, mercifully finding her compatriot with little issue. There was initial confusion upon sighting the lone German vessel approaching but once the two communicated and moored alongside, their crew began a long coming reunion. It would not be long before the events of the previous days became clear to all, the news was rather bittersweet. River Forth had been separated from her compatriots since late into the night of August 15 but as was expected in wartime, events developed quickly. Leipzig and Algerine had been incredibly effective in their various attacks throughout the heartland of the province, largely keeping to their established schedule and successfully dealing with all targets outlined by Mr. Baumann. The surprises along the way such as the previously unknown coastal batteries guarding Vancouver alongside the submarine attack off Seymour Narrows had taken the Germans off guard but even through those hardships, they managed to persevere. River Forth’s engagement with a Canadian patrol vessel had been yet another unwelcome interruption but unlike the loss of Leipzig, it was something which did not overly damage their prospects moving forward. With the officers of both vessels now up to speed on their situation, the topic of how to proceed was inevitable.

It would be a surprise to nobody that the Germans would look to continue such successes as while their capability had been reduced overall, the ability of their enemy to resist was seemingly even poorer. Northern British Columbia was largely lacking worthwhile infrastructure to attack, the two exceptions being the towns of Prince Rupert and Anyox. The former featured a fairly large shipyard for the area, including a 20,000t floating drydock that was still under construction. The latter was a prominent mining town with its smelters producing a remarkable amount of copper alongside some smaller quantities of silver and gold. Both locations were prime targets as their contributions to the Canadian war effort could be substantial in the coming months as the nation continued to mobilize. Prince Rupert was the closer of the two, although it was still a 230 mile journey. Anyox would be a further 100 miles on top of that as it was located further inland, requiring transit of an inlet similar to the attack on the targets surrounding Vancouver. Algerine’s depleted ammunition stores would mean that simply leveling two entire towns worth of infrastructure from the safety of the sea was off the table, this was further complicated by the lack of demolitions equipment for the sailors aboard either vessel. A combination of gunboat diplomacy, scavenging and hands on destruction was the only viable option for the Germans moving forward. Somewhere along the way, they would also need to procure additional supplies for their eventual departure out into the Pacific alongside finding a suitable location to offload their sizable complement of prisoners.

As Algerine’s reduced speed of around 8 knots would require the sail to Prince Rupert to take over a day's worth of time at sea, little time was wasted. Some transfer of crews and supplies was undertaken between the vessels to help address specific shortages as much as possible but by 1300 hours on August 18, both vessels would raise anchor and head north. The nightmare would yet to be over for the Canadians as their allies remained far afield and enemies regretfully less so.

Last edited:
As today marks the third anniversary of this timeline being rewritten, I'd like to thank everybody who has stuck around since the beginning or tagged along for the ride along the way. It's been quite the journey since I decided on the idea for this timeline in 2018 and later tried my hand at my first AH writing with the first version of this timeline in 2019. Much has changed since those early days but here we still are somehow. While there has been some long periods of inactivity which I'd very much like to leave in the past at this point, I've greatly enjoyed researching and writing the timeline while interacting with the community along the way. I will be attempting to stick with a Tuesday/Wednesday weekly update schedule moving forward from this point to keep the timeline going at a good pace. I look forward to broadening out from the Germans adventure in British Columbia in the not so distant future and sharing what I have in store for the formative years of the RCN.

An Isolated Prince
The following excerpt has been taken from Leipzig: The Coastal Raider by Fregattenkapitän Johann-Siegfried Haun.

“We had been fortunate throughout our time off the Canadian coast that the weather had been largely agreeable, that luck would depart into the evening of August 18. As we traveled further North, rain squalls and low visibility would become commonplace into the morning of the following day. While uncomfortable for the vast majority of the ship's crew, the engineering staff aboard Algerine found it enjoyable to walk the deck in their time off duty. The acting Chief Engineer had been keeping me up to date with regard to the sloop's ailing propulsion system which seemingly became worse and worse by the day. Previous issues of overheating at higher speeds would soon be accompanied by habitability concerns in the engine spaces. A non-negligible number of gaskets throughout machinery itself had been reported as actively degrading, resulting in steam and lubrication oil leaking out of their fittings. As a result, the humidity and temperature within the machinery spaces had risen significantly, degrading the performance of the systems and crew alike. Aerosolized lubrication oil made the situation even less bearable, resulting in sailors frequently coming up on deck for respite and a way to clean themselves. Replacement parts where they existed were unable to keep up with the rate of deterioration, temporary fixes atop temporary fixes were only delaying the inevitable.

River Forth was not free of her own issues as well, her defective navigation lights flickering and failing completely throughout the night at multiple points caused great stress to crews of both vessels. After one instance of becoming separated for over thirty minutes and only re-establishing contact due to adept use of fog horns, I was forced to send one of my few remaining electricians over to remedy the issue. By midnight we would pass out of the Queen Charlotte Sound and into the Hecate Strait where the squalls and wind would intensify, something apparently normal for this area as was explained to me by Mr. Baumann. These weather fronts would largely clear into the late morning, not overly compromising our overall schedule. Weather would be calm and clear throughout the afternoon, allowing us to spot our first merchant vessel in quite some time, in the Dixon Entrance shortly after 1400 hours. What we initially thought to be good fortune at the sight of a roughly 2000 GRT ship was soon dashed when the stars and stripes of an American flag were spotted. If nothing else, it was a sign that the port of Prince Rupert should be as fruitful as their more southern counterparts. Mr. Baumann identified the ship as the Grace Dollar, a vessel brought into service by his current employer only last year. I distinctly remember the pilot remarked about sinking the vessel, as it carried the name of his former employer's first company vessel, something the shipping magnate apparently held great fondness for. As I was not about to attack shipping of a neutral nation out of personal spite on behalf of my guest, we continued towards Prince Rupert.”

1910_GTP.jpg

1910 Grand Trunk Pacific Railway Map of British Columbia with an insert showing a helpful map of Prince Rupert and the surrounding area. The image is rather large so opening it in another tab will allow you to zoom for a better view.

The Germans would approach Prince Rupert shortly after 1700 hours, transiting the strait separating the Digby and Kinahan Islands. Sheltered from the Pacific Ocean by former landmass, the only entrance to the aforementioned town by sea consisted of a strait nearly 5000m long and roughly 500m wide. Caution would be required to navigate this chokepoint as shipping or obstacles laid by the Canadians could cause undue damage to any of the German vessels. It was decided to have River Forth anchor off to the side of the entrance to the strait itself, allowing Algerine to proceed forward and signal via flare gun if it was safe to follow. If the sloop was somehow damaged or lost, the entire force would not meet its end immediately. Near the end of the strait could be found the Digby Island wireless station, yet another piece of vital Canadian infrastructure which the Germans would move to destroy. Algerine would slow and launch a pair of boats carrying a party of armed sailors before passing the station, their objective being to land, seize and ultimately destroy the installation. While it would have been more expedient to bombard the station as they passed, Haun wished to conserve what little ammunition Algerine had left aboard for more important uses. Clearing some men from aboard the vessel temporarily as well alleviated the crowding problem if they were forced into combat. Daylight was beginning to fade although the Germans were confident that they could keep the situation under control and operate into the night if required.

The patience of the Germans would yet again pay dividends as when the lone sloop came into full view of Prince Rupert harbor at 1910 hours, no fewer than 12 notable merchant vessels were spotted pier side or anchored in the surrounding waters. Unbeknownst to the Germans due to their lack of a wireless set, a series of events would almost immediately play out which would hinder their plans. A keen lookout aboard one of the merchants moored further out in the harbor would spot and report the incoming vessel to his Captain, a retired Royal Navy officer who had been keeping well up to date on much of the wireless traffic as of late. Rightfully wary of German raiders, a wireless message was sent to the Digby Island Station informing them of their suspicions. Utilizing its submerged telegram cable connecting to Prince Rupert, the station would in turn relay the message to the authorities in the town. By the time Algerine had come to a stop in the midst of the harbor and Haun was being rowed towards the town, the sporadic cracks of gunfire began from the direction of the nearby wireless station. A handful of stray bullets would be directed towards Haun’s launch as well before the Canadians on shore would notice the white flag being waved from the boat's bow, their patriotic zeal thankfully not being enough to overpower their sensibilities entirely. Haun stayed his course, still wishing to attempt diplomacy with the Canadians as it would greatly simplify his plans going forward. As the gunfire from Digby Island soon grew to include long bursts of automatic fire, Haun and the crew of Algerine could do little but wish their comrades luck. It would seem that Prince Rupert was not so eager to roll over quite yet like Alert Bay. What would later come to be known as the Battle of Digby Island would be the first land engagement fought between the Canadians and Germans of the First World War.

The Battle of Digby Island

Dominion wireless stations were garrisoned very early in the war, as they were realized to be strategic military facilities. The garrisons may have been reinforced faster ITTL with all the German pillaging going on. Digby Island Station, I would expect, would first have sentries posted from the recently defunct local militia unit the Earl Grey's Own Rifles, who would still have local trained cadre, officers and equipment. OTL, on Aug 18, the Irish Fusiliers Regiment had a contingent at Prince Rupert, led by a Colonel, which sounds like a large contingent. The automatic weapons we hear firing would likely be Colt 1895 "potato digger" machine guns, as equipped the Canadian militia pre-war.

From the Victoria Times Colonist:
Fusiliers at Prince Rupert Aug 18.jpeg

Dominion wireless stations were garrisoned very early in the war, as they were realized to be strategic military facilities. The garrisons may have been reinforced faster ITTL with all the German pillaging going on. Digby Island Station, I would expect, would first have sentries posted from the recently defunct local militia unit the Earl Grey's Own Rifles, who would still have local trained cadre, officers and equipment. OTL, on Aug 18, the Irish Fusiliers Regiment had a contingent at Prince Rupert, led by a Colonel, which sounds like a large contingent. The automatic weapons we hear firing would likely be Colt 1895 "potato digger" machine guns, as equipped the Canadian militia pre-war.

From the Victoria Times Colonist:
View attachment 807636
Thank you for the information, I had been having a difficult time tracking the Militia units in the area as this period was pretty hectic and not overly documented. Part of the reason why I've split the chapters was to give myself time to do additional research, land based Militia units are not my main field of knowledge but I've been getting some progress. The absolute mess of amalgamation during the war and after doesn't make it any easier to track units as well.

As far as I can tell, Earl Grey's Own Rifles was turned into the 68th Regiment in Quebec around November of 1914 to be sent overseas but they departed for Quebec early in August? Anybody with more knowledge on this feel free to chime in. As you say there should be some remnants to work alongside the Fusiliers assigned to local protection.

Thank you for the information, I had been having a difficult time tracking the Militia units in the area as this period was pretty hectic and not overly documented. Part of the reason why I've split the chapters was to give myself time to do additional research, land based Militia units are not my main field of knowledge but I've been getting some progress. The absolute mess of amalgamation during the war and after doesn't make it any easier to track units as well.

As far as I can tell, Earl Grey's Own Rifles was turned into the 68th Regiment in Quebec around November of 1914 to be sent overseas but they departed for Quebec early in August? Anybody with more knowledge on this feel free to chime in. As you say there should be some remnants to work alongside the Fusiliers assigned to local protection.
I have only a passing understanding myself. The difference between pre-war militia units (usually called Regiments) and the wartime Canadian Expeditionary Force units (usually called Battalions) is confusing, and the sources are contradictory. Here is a list of BC units:

But, for example, the above article says that the Earl Grey's own Rifles were authorized in May 1914, but the following newspaper article says they were disbanded in March 1914. https://www.thenorthernview.com/opinion/in-our-opinion-names-missing-on-cenotaph/

I have encountered more sources that say the Earl Greys did not exist at the start of the war. But the individuals would be in place. And they would retain their equipment. Which, judging by the most common photograph, consisted of a dozen jackets, a dozen caps, and a snare drum.

Original Digital object not accessible

BC Archives Photo # A-02509