Remember, Remember, the Third of October...

Status
Not open for further replies.
[POD] The plague in London dies out by about late June, meaning that the date for the State Opening of Parliament stays as 3rd October 1605.

Guy Fawkes surveyed his handiwork, and adjusted some faggots of wood so as to properly conceal the barrels beneath. With Parliament due to assemble for its state opening in October, he probably didn't have time to go overseas to communicate properly with his Spanish allies. But so long as the plot was a success and he escaped London before the explosion, some encoded correspondence would likely be sufficient to reassure his superiors.

He had meticulously prepared the gunpowder for several months of waiting for use. But while he would have the time to check it wasn't degrading, he had taken the precaution of doubling the quantity of powder technically required, in order to ensure the House of Lords would be utterly destroyed.

Fawkes was personally sceptical of his co-conspirators assertions that they would be able to raise a popular revolt in the Midlands, and secure the kingdom with domestic arms. He had to ensure that the Catholic monarchs of Europe would see the holiness of his act, and that they would lend military support to any endeavour. It seemed to him that his contacts in the Spanish Netherlands, and his military experience would stand him in good stead with the Spanish and indeed the Empire. He saw no reason why the young princess Elizabeth would be such a key rallying point for rebellion, thinking that it would be preferrable to impose a Hapsburg or even a Bourbon who may be more moderate in the eyes of the English.

But he was just the explosives man, and the rest of the plotters were well-born men. He would do what he could do to obey them, and obtain help from overseas when the plot reached its fruition...

On October 3rd, 1605, one of the most daring terrorist attacks in history took place. The House of Lords was destroyed, along with the King, the Queen, the Prince of Wales, the House of Lords, the House of Commons, the Bishops of the Church of England, and many others vital for the central governance of England. The events following this shocking attack are well known. Everyone within 330 feet of the explosion was instantly killed as the House of Lords was reduced to rubble, and all those within 900 feet were injured to one degree or another. The sheer force of the blast caused considerable damage to the buildings in the vicinity including most famously Westminster Abbey. The conflagration, and the projection of rubble in all directions with great force started the Great Fire of London, an unexpected and terrifying accident from the conspiracy's chief Robert Catesby's own admission.

The Fire destroyed a great section of Western London, and necessitated the reconstruction of Whitehall and Westminster during the Triplicate Wars. Fortunately, an ad hoc mob was able to halt the destruction at the River Trent, thought there was some limited burnings beyond this point. The city fell to rioting and civil disorder during the Conflagration and afterwards. With little central direction and many of those solely involved in the administration of London killed at the House of Lords, and in the Conflagration, law and order was restricted to those regions of the city that could be held by militias.

The situation while less bloodthirsty was equally confused outside London. With central government wiped out and the highest nobles families of England wiped out in an instant, power was delivered into the hands of Justices of the Peace and Lord Lieutenants. Peace was to be maintained by local militiamen.

Explanations for the destruction were few and far between. Many were tempted to call the Conflagration an Act of God. Others saw the truth, in that it was a conspiracy and a treacherous act of terror. But the confusion and horror in the aftermath, along with misplaced loyalties, assumptions and prejudices lead to those responsible gaining a key advantage in the early days of the preceding the Triplicate Wars.

Guy Fawkes had taken a ship across the Channel before the House of Lords exploded, reaching his destination in the Spanish Netherlands a day later. At this point, the Great Fire was still raging, and this gave him the time to convince the Spanish officers he was acquainted with there to suggest an intervention in the now crippled England. For now, the Spanish authorities were reluctant to get directly involved, fearing a backlash against an invading army, the possibility of supply cut off by the Navy, and little sign of a popular movement elevating a Catholic movement they could move in and support.

At the same time, Catesby and his core group of conspirators had gone north into the Midlands. Here they had seized the nine year old Princess Elizabeth, and in the absence of the young Prince Charles, they crowned her Queen Elizabeth II. Catesby wasn't a stupid man, and knew that if the true nature of the explosion became common knowledge then his coup would enjoy little popular support. He portrayed the explosion as either an accident, or an Act of God. He downplayed his Catholic credentials, aiming to build a kingdom of creeping Catholicism, hoping in this way he could win over moderates.

The North and the Midlands were the most Catholic areas of England, and it was here that Catesby, with Elizabeth under the nominal regency of the Earl of Northumberland would establish themselves. They successfully stabilised themselves here as they secured pledges of allegiance from Lords Lieutenant who believed they owed Elizabeth their loyalty with no news of Prince Charles' survival. The Catholic minority aligned themselves thanks to a combination of the Declaration of Indulgence, and the emerging rumours of a Papist conspiracy that lead many to think that if they didn't rally round their queen they would find themselves persecuted by a radical Protestant backlash centred in London.

As the Great Fire died away, mob rule remained across much of London, and indeed spread into many of the neighbouring counties. Slowly but surely, militia commanders and citizens with sufficient gumption began to restore order. The belief that Catholics were behind the Conflagration was by this point common currency. But the Mob and the Militia didn't gain their rallying point until the five year old Prince Charles was produced. Seized by the London Mob, he was used a rallying point for the reunification of London. He was crowned in 1606 in the ruins of Westminster Abbey. England now had to two monarchs. Queen Elizabeth II and King Charles I.

The First of the Triplicate Wars had begun. The War of the English Succession would be fought between the Elizabethans and the Carlists, and by mid-1606 both sides were preparing for a fight. And as the year began to end, with neither side able to get to grips with the other as dozens of Lords Lieutenant declared neutrality, Guy Fawkes finally extracted a promise of soldiers from the Spanish authorities...

Onyx

Banned
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Subscribed :cool:

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Subscribed :cool:

Awesome. In this timeline, there is definitely no reason it should be forgot.

Hnau

Banned
Awesome! In looking at this scenario before, I never thought to include Guy Fawkes rallying the Spanish to intervene in the dynastic struggle. Most interesting.

BTW, you killed Francis Bacon before he developed the Baconian method. Massive butterflies in the history of science!!! :D

Mumby, very interesting.

The only problem I see with it so far is this: the conspirators were likely to have been seized by a local militia before the managed to grab Princess Elizabeth.
I will have to see if I can find my resources, because I researched this PoD myself a few years back, and that's the conclusion I came to. Still, I will be following this with interest.

Mumby, very interesting.

The only problem I see with it so far is this: the conspirators were likely to have been seized by a local militia before the managed to grab Princess Elizabeth.
I will have to see if I can find my resources, because I researched this PoD myself a few years back, and that's the conclusion I came to. Still, I will be following this with interest.

My logic was that there would be so much confusion in the aftermath over wat actually happened, they could blend into so many other people fleeing a chaotic capital. And militias would mostly be concerned with maintaining peace and order. In that scenario, I would think its entirely plausible that a group of men could get through and seize the young princess. And right now they are keeping their actual intentions and beliefs tightly under wraps.

Its a river in Central London. At this point, London would have been a mess of dozens of rivers snaking into the Thames

Do you have an authority for it ? I thought I knew most of the old London rivers and streams, don't recall a Trent. Not thinking of the Fleet , perhaps, that would be a logical place to stop a fire spreading from Whitehall toward London, and in 1605 it was still above ground, probably a good firebreak ?

It doesn't seem to be in Barton's Rivers, nor on Strange's Map. There is the river Brent of course, at Brentford, but that is a long way off. (And the well known Trent north of London of course) .

Last edited:
I look forward to further developments :)

Has anyone credible confirmed that it really is Charles? Who exactly is rallying around this 5-year-old King? English Carlists, I am amused. Any word from Scotland or Ireland? I would honestly expect the Scots to select some other King, since both of the Stuart children are controlled by cabals of scheming English nobles...

I was rather unhappy with my first update and considered breaking it up into more chunks, but seeing how happy everybody is with it I've decided not to do that and just go to the next event.

Reactions in Scotland and Ireland

News of the Conflagration took several weeks to reach Scotland and Ireland by which point the Carlists and Elizabethans had emerged and were consolidating themselves. The delay was largely due to confusion and the smaller conflicts between frightened county militias which made travel in much of the English countryside dangerous.

In Ireland, the Conflagration came only a few years after a large rebellion. With England crippled and divided, the Catholic lords of Ireland saw their chance. Alongside Old English settlers, and High Church Anglicans who feared the plantations of Scottish and New English settlers who brought their more radical Protestantism with them, forged an alliance. Together, they raised an army, and marched on Dublin in 1606. Here, they forced the dissolution of the Irish Parliament, and held new elections. Taking control of the few ships and barracks on Irish land, they declared the Kingdom of Ireland under their control. Hugh O'Neill took control of Ireland, but his reign was not yet fully secure. He lacked legitimacy amongst the Southern Irish, and the imposition of Scottish settlers in Ulster meaned a Protestant rebellion.

O'Neill lead an army north to deal with the Scots personally, and routed their hastily formed militias. Controversially, he decided not to put them to death and instead expelled them from Ireland, using his own few ships to send them back to Scotland. In the South, he found it difficult to convince the Southerners to support an Ulsterman in a time of peace. They were convinced that if an Ulsterman ruled Ireland then they would suffer from neglect. O'Neill's solution came in 1607 with the Declaration of Indulgence from the Court of Queen Elizabeth II. O'Neill recognised Elizabeth II as Queen of Ireland. Robert Catesby knew a good opportunity when he saw it, and O'Neill was declared Viceroy of Ireland. Many of the policies that the Tudor conquerors had used to bring Ireland to heel were reversed particularly the use of Plantations. However, O'Neill did find that he had to use his own seneschals as more than a few Irish lords sought to rebel against his newly centralised government. By 1608, O'Neill was well integrated into the Court of Elizabeth, and was building an army and some ships in preparation to help his queen in her war for recognition in the South.

Scotland on the other hand, had to suffer no such rebellions, or forging of new kingdoms. Of course for a time, there was confusion over whether or not to declare for Elizabeth, but when the London mob produced the young Prince Charles and crowned him King, the Scots saw their chance. Unlike Elizabeth, Charles was in a weak position, isolated and weak. If his throne was to survive, then he needed Scottish support. And if he had to, he and his minders would pay through the nose to get it. With O'Neill having united and enforced his rule over Ireland, and acquiring money and arms to send an army to Elizabeth's aid, Charles and the emerging Council of England, desperately needed Scotland to bring their martial prowess to bear on their side.

The Scots offered to invade Northumberland, and strip Elizabeth's regent of his seat. At the same time, they would secure London's coal supplies, and advance the cause of Charles in the North. But in return they demanded that England's Church should be properly reformed to align the southern kingdom with the Presbytery of the northern, that after the war, a Parliament would replace the Council that had emerged from the Mob and the Militia, and that for the duration of the War, some Scots should sit on the Council, and during peace time, there should be Scots in Charles' Regency Council.

The Carlists were eager to accept, and they sealed the alliance. After putting down a short rebellion amongst the northern Catholics, they marched south in 1609, taking control of Newcastle. The Earl of Argyll had risen up as leader of the Scots, and was determined to bring England to heel. Stripping the Earl of Northumberland of his titles, he imposed one of his allies on the county as Earl.

The Second of the Triplicate Wars had begun. The British Civil War would soon spread, as across the Channel, a fleet was prepared in the Spanish Netherlands for an invasion on the south of England. Negotiations to marry Elizabeth to a Spanish princeling were reaching fruition. If the Spanish invasion succeeded and London fell, France would be surrounded on all sides by Hapsburgs. And they couldn't have that...

Within England, the Elizabethans had been more successful in securing power and influence. They were able to attract aristocrats and nobles whereas the common and 'mechanical' make up of the mobs who had united under the Council with Charles as their rallying flag alienated those with real power. However, the populist nature of the Carlists did have its positive marks. In 1607, when the young King Charles had only just gained the throne, an insurrection broke out in the Midlands against the enclosing of common land. Leicestershire, Northamptonshire and Warwichshire were far from either of the thrones' centres of power. Importantly, those that the peasants directed their anger towards most were the Treshams, a family that sided with the Elizabethans from before the Conflagration if that can be credited. Hence, the peasants aligned themselves with the Carlists. When the Elizabethans attempted to send troops to put down the revolt in Northamptonshire, it wasn't long before militias in the whole of the East Midlands sided against her.

The Lord Lieutenants in these counties were removed from power by their own militias, and peasants councils based on parish councils were established. While their territories were not contiguous with the Carlists in London and the Southeast, they were fierce in defending themselves from those around them. In reaction to this displacement of property owning men, Yorkshire aligned herself with the Elizabethans fearing that the banner of Charles I (now the Union Flag or Old Charlie as its colloquially known) represented anarchy and peasantish bloodlust.

During this time, Wales had tried to keep its distance, but with Elizabethans dominating the Welsh Marches, and the Irish mustering for war on the other side of the Irish Sea, as far as the Welsh could see it they had little choice but to side with the Elizabethans. Unlike the Northerners who had been drawn to Elizabeth by Catholicism, a new type of Christianity was gaining currency in Wales. The Conflagration had lead to many explanations but the idea that it was a divine portent was popular amongst the Welsh. Radical sectaries emerged from the established Church, and ripped apart the old religious fabric of the country. The Declaration of Indulgence protected radical Protestants as much as it did Catholics, and in 1609 with the Carlists agreeing to impose Prebytery, the Welsh aristocrats already repulsed by the Carlist support for mob rule aligned themselves to Elizabeth.

By 1610, a line was emerging across England. The efforts of the clubmen, and the Lords Lieutenant to maintain their neutrality had not gone well. The North and West was falling under the sway of Elizabeth, while the Peasants' Councils of the Midlands expanded their sphere over the East, and the Carlists in London marched across the South. Only East Anglia remained reluctant to align with either side, and to a certain extent the Navy was reluctant to aid either side, with one looking stronger but the other occupying their key ports.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.