Reichsgau Switzerland: the integration of the Swiss into the Third Reich.

JosephWorld

Banned
Let's assume that the Tannenbaum operation is launched in June 1940 after the defeat of France and, after 2-3 months of military resistance in the mountains, Switzerland is completely pacified. Switzerland is then annexed to the Third Reich as Reichsgau, like Luxembourg and Alsace-Lorraine.

What degree of assimilation and Nazification of the Swiss population could the Nazis have achieved after four years of occupation? Would the Swiss have become "Despite Ourselves", incorporated by force into the Wehrmacht?

Last edited:
I doubt you'll see too much assimilation. Violent conquest doesn't immediately lend itself to that kind of thing. But expect a good number of volunteers into the Waffen-SS (as in most other Western European countries) and conscription in the end.

(One also suspects Mussolini will at least try and claim the Italian-majority cantons in this scenario.)

I doubt you'll see too much assimilation. Violent conquest doesn't immediately lend itself to that kind of thing. But expect a good number of volunteers into the Waffen-SS (as in most other Western European countries) and conscription in the end.

(One also suspects Mussolini will at least try and claim the Italian-majority cantons in this scenario.)

Vichy France could annex Romandie, too. I wonder how will Switzerland be restored after the war, though - perhaps, the Allies might try to increase the amount of non-Germans in Switzerland due to the German Swiss having made up most of the country's Nazi sympathizers and SS recruits. The Province of Sondrio, that had been subject to the Grisons, might do - as well as the Aosta Valley, that had briefly been occupied by France after World War II.

I suspect incentives to volunteer, and some degree of conscription would occur. Similar to Alcase & Lorraine or similar annexed territories. Persons clearly identifiable as Deutch volk might be considered German citizens in some fashion and subject to military conscription. Otherwise the individual could volunteer for military service and accrue the benefits & probable German citizenship, or be conscripted into some sort of labor service as Poles, French, & many others were.

Nebogipfel

Monthly Donor
I wonder what the post-war consequences would be - less neutral Switzerland, probably. And, if there were any larger support for the Third Reich during occupation, probably deep fractures in swiss post war society. Especially, if the support were uneven among the ethincal groups.