Redrawing Every Country's Subdivisions

Introduction / United States
I haven't been contributing to AH.com much lately, so I've decided to do a project to change that. I will be redrawing the subdivisions of every country in the world, in the order given in Yakko's World (the updated version by Deuterium the Sentient Mattress). Before we start, I'll set some rules:
  • I won't be doing any countries whose land area is less than 5000 km² (smaller than Trinidad and Tobago) because they're too small.
  • I will be doing the following partially recognised states: Palestine (with de facto borders), Taiwan (with de facto borders), Kosovo, and Western Sahara (with claimed borders); since the latter two are not mentioned in the song, they will be done at the end). All other partially recognised states will be treated as part of the country that de jure controls them.
  • I will be treating Hong Kong and Macau as independent from China, although as they fall below the 5000 km² threshold I will not be redrawing their subdivisions.
Anyways, here's the first one:
United States (50 states + 1 federal district + 5 territories -> 73 states + 1 federal district)
united states.png

So I used the GitHub tool Statesfun to simulate the 2004 through 2020 elections with these new US states.

Notes:
  • The borders are not exact. In my defence, Statesfun only allows you to create states based on existing county boundaries.
  • The tool only allows you to create states from the current US states, so I could not include Mariana or Puerto Rico.
  • ertictom333 did not name the state on the Texan coast. I have given it the name "Gulfland".
  • Since Alaska and Hawaii are left unchanged they are being omitted for simplicity's sake.
2004 (Republican victory):

HWAkuEZ.png

2008 (Democratic victory):
lqvVUmh.png

2012 (Democratic victory):
PsBMAOe.png

2016 (Republican victory):
AVAlBUj.png

2020 (Democratic victory):
YWHLWFF.png

Oh, and just for fun allow me to try and suggest potential capitals for each state.
StateCapital
AlabamaMontgomery
AlaskaJuneau
AlbemarleRaleigh
AlleghenyPittsburgh
AraphoDenver
ArizonaPhoenix
ArkansawLittle Rock
BrazosAustin
CalusaMiami
ChoctawMemphis
ComancheriaLubbock
ConnecticutHartford
CoronadoSan Diego
DakotaBismarck
DelawareDover
DetroitDetroit
FloridaJacksonville
GeorgiaSavannah
GulflandHouston
HawaiiHonolulu
HudsonAlbany
IllinoisSpringfield
IndianaIndianapolis
IowaDes Moines
IroquoisBuffalo
JeffersonRedding
KentuckyFrankfort
KanawhaCharleston
KansasKansas City
LincolnSpokane
LouisianaBaton Rouge
MarianaHagåtña
MarylandAnnapolis
MassachusettsBoston
MatagordaSan Antonio
MiamiChicago
MichiganLansing
MinnesotaSt. Paul
MississippiJackson
MissouriJefferson City
MojaveSan Bernadino
MuscogeeAtlanta
NarragansettProvidence
NebraskaLincoln
NevadaCarson City
New JerseyTrenton
New SwedenAtlantic City
New YorkNew York
OhioColumbus
OklahomaOklahoma City
OregonSalem
PalmettoColumbia
PennsylvaniaHarrisburg
PiedmontCharlotte
PlatteWichita
PowhatanFredericksburg
Puerto RicoSan Juan
RoanokeRichmond
SagadahocAugusta
San GabrielLos Angeles
San JoaquinSacramento
ShoshoneBoise
TennesseeNashville
TrinityDallas
UtahSalt Lake City
VermontMontpelier
WashingtonOlympia
WataugaKnoxville
West FloridaTallahassee
WisconsinMadison
YellowstoneHelena
Yerba BuenaSan Francisco

So I used the GitHub tool Statesfun to simulate the 2004 through 2020 elections with these new US states.
<snip>
I actually tried doing that myself but gave up halfway through. Some of your results were surprising (I thought Biden would have won Muscogee in 2020 due to Metro Atlanta). I wasn't really sure what to do with Las Vegas, and I had considered giving it to Arizona or splitting it off with the northern part of Arizona and the eastern part of Utah to form a state of Colorado (I have the borders for both of those cases, if you want to rerun the simulation); I ultimately decided to give it to Nevada as otherwise Nevada would be too small population-wise (then again I did make Guam + the Northern Marianas a state, and they only have 220k people between them).
Oh, and just for fun allow me to try and suggest potential capitals for each state.
I also tried doing them but gave up halfway as well, and your results are pretty similar to mine. Here are the ones that I had different to you, and why:
  • Alaska: Anchorage (bigger and more central)
  • Calusa: Cape Coral (more central)
  • There is no Delaware, I divided it between Maryland in the south and New Sweden in the north
  • Georgia: Augusta (somewhat more central)
  • Iroquois: Rochester or Syracuse (more central)
  • Kentucky: Lexington (bigger and more central)
  • Maryland: Baltimore (bigger and more central)
  • Michigan: Grand Rapids (further away from the border)
  • Minnesota: Minneapolis (bigger)
  • Nevada: Reno (bigger, and see my note on Las Vegas)
  • New Jersey: Newark (bigger)
  • New Sweden: Wilmington or Camden (more central)
  • Sagadahoc: Portland (bigger and more central)
  • San Joaquin: Fresno (more central)
  • Yellowstone: Billings (more central)
  • Yerba Buena: Monterey (more central)

@erictom333, I thought I might let you know I had the idea to recreate your reorganised US in QGIS and put that map up on Reddit, and so I did and it was quite successful:
However, now that I think about it I really should have obtained your permission beforehand, and I apologise for failing to do so. If you want me to take the post down I will.
You did my map justice. However, you should definitely credit me and link to this thread in a pinned comment (no need to take the post down).

You did my map justice. However, you should definitely credit me and link to this thread in a pinned comment (no need to take the post down).
Well, I did credit you in one of my comments...
Screenshot 2024-03-19 at 2.37.21 pm.png

...but because I am not a moderator on the subreddit I cannot pin the post. Sorry.

Canada
Next up:
Canada (10 provinces + 3 territories -> 22 provinces + 1 capital territory)
canada.png

• Abitibi (Timmins)
  • Alberta (Red Deer)
  • Athabasca (Grande Prairie)
  • Cape Breton Island (Sydney)
  • Denendeh (Yellowknife)
  • Federal Capital Territory (Ottawa)
  • Fraser (Vancouver)
  • Huron (Toronto)
  • Keewatin (Kenora)
  • Labrador (Happy Valley-Goose Bay)
  • Manitoba (Winnipeg)
  • Montréal (Montréal)
  • New Brunswick (Fredericton)
  • New Scotland (Halifax)
  • Newfoundland (St. John's)
  • Nunavut (Iqaluit)
  • Ontario (Kingston)
  • Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown)
  • Québec (Québec City)
  • Saskatchewan (Saskatoon)
  • Superior (Sault St. Marie)
  • Vancouver (Victoria)
  • Yukon (Whitehorse)
If the borders are too hard to see, here's a 4-colored version:
canada 4color.png

Panama
Panama (10 provinces (incl. 2 comarca-level indigenous regions) + 4 province-level indigenous regions -> 13 provinces incl. 6 indigenous regions)
panama.png

Some tidying up of the provincial boundaries, as well as demoting all province-level indigenous regions to comarca-level.

Anyways, here's the first one:
United States (50 states + 1 federal district + 5 territories -> 73 states + 1 federal district)
View attachment 893574
As a Swede I must protest New Sweden not getting Southeast Pennsylvania, I.e. tje Pennsylvanian parts of the Philly metro area. That side of the river was also part of the colony and having the whole metro in one state, but not really much far beyond the metro, would make for state level agencies running transit, healthcare, water supply, etc making a lot of sense.

Same for combining the reduced NJ & NY states, but that's for the Dutch to file a complaint about :D

Last edited: