Red Alert 2 kicks ass

One of my favorite American combinations was using G.I.s and Grizzly Tanks, with AV-8 Harrier cover. Worked almost everytime.

one of the toughest combo of troops in the game is to have groups of Grizzlies, IFVs with snipers, IFVs with missiles, and Mirage tanks... this bunch can take on pretty much anything thrown at it...

Thande

Donor
I like Chrono Legionnaires and Iraqi Desolators, both the units themselves and the speech files (had some great lines...)

"NEVER EXISTED!"

"ALREADY THERE..."

"IT VEEL BE AI SILENT SPREENG!"

"HERE COMES THE SUN!"

Thande

Donor
What about that Yuri's Revenge mission set in Sydney where you have to blow up the Opera House, and the Korean Air Force comes in to attack the sub pen?

Thande

Donor
Funny how that doesn't have the stigma of the WTC, given that the Pentagon was also attacked on 9/11...

I've actually never played as the Russians or Yuri. I've played through both allied campaigns. I thought the Allies had it pretty easy against Yuri.. none of the scenarios were all that tough except for the very last one (damn psychic superweapons...). The allied campaign against Russia also isn't too tough, except for the Pearl Harbor and Cuba scenarios... those nukes make it tough going...

Dave Howery said:
I've actually never played as the Russians or Yuri. I've played through both allied campaigns. I thought the Allies had it pretty easy against Yuri.. none of the scenarios were all that tough except for the very last one (damn psychic superweapons...). The allied campaign against Russia also isn't too tough, except for the Pearl Harbor and Cuba scenarios... those nukes make it tough going...
Actually, I learned of a way to finish that Pearl Harbor mission in about five minutes. Essentially, what you do is start pumping out rocketeers and sending them to the island in NW of the map, avoiding the flak. Once the Soviets take down the base and start ferrying over their troops, shoot at the transports and the MCV they deploy, then wipe out what ground forces are on the island. The Soviets will move off to attack you, and the mission will end.

As for the multiple superweapons issue, the developers seem to have noticed that, since you can have multiple superweapons in Generals. I took out a gigantic Chinese base in the Challenge campaign with about six SCUD Storms once.

those scud storms are big, mean, and nasty. Taking out one of them is a big goal in the final American scenario. I nailed it early on by using my stars to buy the FAB and A-10s, bought 4 stealth fighters, and hit the damn storm with all at once. I lost every plane on the board, but they took the storm down first....

Thande

Donor
Haven't bought Generals yet, don't know if I will. Not too keen on 3D stuff. Give me RA2/YR any day. :)

Thande said:
Haven't bought Generals yet, don't know if I will. Not too keen on 3D stuff. Give me RA2/YR any day. :)

Generals is okay, but the expansion pack for really is the best part about it. The original is just too plain.

In Generals I hated the way infantry was so freakin useless. Garisoning building garenteed death no matter what. I haven't got the expansion but the only superior aspect of generals was graphics. There were no movies :mad: So the story was bland.

really? If anything I found infantry far more useful in Generals than in any previous c&c game, a heavily garrisoned building is actually very hard to take out unless you are the US with bunker busters - and even then you'll likely loose the plane to fire from China infantry general's deadly minigunners (if you're playing against me anyway)

Probably my favourite moment in any RTS game was my friend's howl of outrage when the two Comanches he had sent to pick off my lone minigunner were shot down in seconds by the best AA unit ever!