Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império"

Lusitania

Donor
Peninsula Ibérica War (Encore) (1 of 2)

Napoleão’s Return

All great performers whose performance are cut short always feel cheated and clamor for another chance to prove themselves. Napoleão’s fall from power in França in 1812 had left him a bitter man. The revolt of França against his rule and his ouster following his forces defeats in Europa Oriental and the Peninsula Ibérica when he felt he still had the ability to defeat his enemies provided him with determination to extract revenge on those who had betrayed him along with his enemies during his year in captivity on the island of Elba off the Italian coast.

On June 15, 1813 Napoleão made his escape from Elba and returned to the mainland on June 19. King Louis XVIII sent the 5th Regiment of the Line, led by Marshal Ney who had formerly served under Napoleão in Rússia, to meet him at Grenoble on June 23.

The restored French Bourbons’ king and the aristocrats were not popular with the French people and army so when Napoleão encountered a regiment sent to stop him he would approach the regiment alone, dismount his horse and, when he was within earshot of regiments forces shouted "Soldiers of França, you recognize me. If any man would shoot his emperor, he may do so now". Following a brief silence, the soldiers shouted "Vive L'Empereur!" and marched with Napoleão to Paris. He arrived on June 28, quickly raising a regular army of 140,000 and a volunteer force of around 200,000 and governed for a Hundred Days.

He felt chafed by the constrain put on him, the people of França in his absence and under King Louis XVIII had grown intolerant of despotism and he had agreed to reforms and constitutional role on his way to Paris. Napoleão fretted at having to compromise with the men who had been under his command and the limits of a constitutional monarch.

The French chamber was a sore point with Napoleão but until he had defeated França’s enemies he dared not dissolve the chamber for fear of inciting riots and possibly inciting a civil war as França’s enemies closed in.

The powers of the Congress of Vienna had declared him an outlaw following his escape and Great Britain, Portugal, Prússia, Áustria and Rússia had bound themselves to put 250,000 men in the field to end his rule. His efforts to detach Áustria from the coalition were met with iron resolution to see his disposition from power. The only diplomatic success was the Kingdom of Espanha’s initial support for him but that too was short lived when they too turned against him due to strong internal opposition.

Napoleão having failed diplomatically to dissuade one of more allies from invading França decided that the only change of his remaining in power was to attack and defeat the allies before they put together an overwhelming force. Napoleão’s strategy was to destroy the growing Allied forces in Sul dos Países Baixos “Low Countries” before they were reinforced then defeat the Portuguese force marshalling in the Peninsula Ibérica and the Áustrian force in Norte d’Itália.

War

The Áustrian’s readied their forces in Norte d’Itália and started moving into the Renânia, while Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher of Prússia started moving his forces into the Países Baixos. The Portuguese sent both the Minho and the Guadiana armies to the Pirenéus while they transported their Tejo Army by ship to the Países Baixos where they would coordinate with the reinforced English force there to attack França.

At the end of September Napoleão decided to move against the British and Prússian forces in Sul dos Países Baixos before they were reinforced, his goal was to drive the English back to the sea and knock the Prússians out of the war just like he had successfully done before. Then he could move against the Portuguese and Áustrians on his southern border.

Napoleão moved two armies, the Army of the North and the Reserve Army up to the French Países Baixos frontier without alerting the allies. He also sent his southern army towards the massing Portuguese threat in the Pirenéus which seemed more of a direct threat than the Áustrians. Napoleão crossed the frontier and split his Army of the North into two and took the Reserve Army and the right wing of Army of the North and attacked the Prússians under the command of Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher at the Battle of Ligny on September 30. The left wing of the Army of the North under Marshal Ney blocked the Nivelles-Namur road at the crossroads of the Quatre Bras preventing the English under the Duke of Wellington from going to the aid of the Prússians.

On September 30, several things happened simultaneously; Napoleão defeated the Prússians at the Battle of Ligny but was unable to destroy them, and the Prússians were forced to retreat in disarray, while Ney was able to stop the English forces from aiding Blücher forces. Unbeknown to the Duke of Wellington and his forces as well as Napoleão the Portuguese Army under the command of the Marshal Silveira, Duke de Salamanca had already disembarked and had secretly traveled east and was on the outskirts of Brussels.

On September 30 Napoleão sent the right wing of the Army of the North under the command of Marshal Grouchy to pursue the Prússians and prevent them from reforming. He set off with the RA and combined his forces with the left wing of the Army of the North to pursue Wellington’s forces, which were retreating towards Brussels. In the early morning hours of September 30 the Portuguese and English forces met and the Duke of Wellington and the Duke de Salamanca held a joint session to plan strategy for the oncoming battle with Napoleão in the village of Waterloo.

The two commanders decided to keep the Portuguese forces concealed until Napoleão had committed his forces. The Duke of Wellington deployed most of his forces on the rear side of an escarpment. The Portuguese force which was as large as the English force would be kept out of sight and when Napoleão had committed his forces they would attack the French on the right flank. Marshal Grouchy who was negligent in the pursuit of the Prússians failed to stop them regrouping after their defeat at Ligny attacked the Prússian III corps believing he was attacking the rear guard of the retreating Prússian force. However only one corps remained behind, the other three Prússian Corps were marching towards Waterloo.

Lusitania

Donor
Peninsula Ibérica War (Encore) (2 of 2)

Waterloo

The Battle of Waterloo was fought under an overcast sky and by the end of the day under a constant drizzle. The battle proceeded as planned with the French attacking the British position. The British were able to present a very difficult obstacle for the French and after three hours of battle and still believing that neither the Portuguese nor Prússians were anywhere close committed his reserves on the stubborn British positions.

After Napoleão had committed his forces the Portuguese attacked the French left flank, the Portuguese attacked under artillery and rocket attacks that made the French hesitate. The Portuguese artillery was equal to the combined French and English together and the Portuguese foguetes armados caused havoc amongst the French especially the French cavalry. The French abandoned all attempts to drive the English from the escarpment on which they stood and instead attempted to stop the Portuguese attack but by the time the Prússians had joined the attack were facing heavy pressure from both the Portuguese and English.

The French situation became desperate when the Prússians arrived in the afternoon and attacked the French right flank. Napoleão’s key strategy of keeping the Allied armies divided and attacking the individual allied armies before they received reinforcements or had a chance to unite as a common force had failed and his army was driven from the field in despair and confusion, by a combined Allied general advance.

The French right wing under Marshal Grouchy was able to prevent the total annihilation of the French Army at the battle of Wavre the next day and provided the other elements of the army to group around it and withdraw towards Paris.

Russparis.jpg

Portuguese and Prussian Armies Marching in Paris 1813

Battle of Waterloo Consequences

Napoleão returned to Paris four days after the battle of Waterloo but was forced to abdicate on October 10, when he realized that França no longer supported him and he would have to dissolve the chambers and declare himself dictator. He knew this course of action would lead to civil war and destruction of França by her enemies. On October 25 he fled França as the approaching Portuguese and Prússian forces with orders to seize him dead or alive neared his home. He stole on an Américan ship for América at the port of Rochefort.

He fled to América and arrived in Boston on November 12 after the American ship was able to evade both British and Portuguese ships in the Atlantico. He was immediately taken into custody by the American government but the political controversy and crises that arose put the government of América; its President, Madison on a direct course of war with the Nações Unidas d’Europa which demanded immediate surrender of Napoleão. The President also under direct attack by American patriots spearheaded by Andrew Jackson over the American government’s handling of the European threat including the American – Spanish conflict the President and his government stood firm in their resolve against the Allied aggression.

Last edited:
If I'm reading this right, I find it somewhat ASBish for America to attempt to face down Great Britain, Portugal, Prussia, Austria and Russia in the defense of Napoleon, after France has already been defeated. IOTL, the War of 1812 was fought between solely America and Great Britain, when Britain was already heavily involved in the European theater, and it was still a close thing that America managed to escape largely unscathed. This scenario would be national suicide, and I imagine that Madison and Congress would see that.

Lusitania

Donor
If I'm reading this right, I find it somewhat ASBish for America to attempt to face down Great Britain, Portugal, Prussia, Austria and Russia in the defense of Napoleon, after France has already been defeated. IOTL, the War of 1812 was fought between solely America and Great Britain, when Britain was already heavily involved in the European theater, and it was still a close thing that America managed to escape largely unscathed. This scenario would be national suicide, and I imagine that Madison and Congress would see that.

Yes we can see that, except that in war of 1812 the US declared war of the UK, here the UK is declaring war on them. Pride can make people do very strange things. When Jackson invaded Florida and conquered it from the Spanish without provocation and executed two English men. The British and Spanish protested and the US just said "go to hell".

In this TL We have a situation where both Britain and Spain were caught providing weapons to the Natives to use against Americans. Added to this we have the impression of Americans by the British Navy.

Americans a livid and then they get an ultimatam to hand over someone who is a refugee from oppressive governments.

The American government could not do it because to do so will be political suicide.

Yes GB and the rest are not occupied, but that was not the reason US decalred war in 1812. It was because they could not take it anymore the taking of Americans by British ships and the blockade of Europe to American ships.

So I will disagree with the ASB comment.

Really nice interlude about national patriotism bringing the spirit of the equality of all citizens regardless of origin, to people's minds, Lusitania!:)
Keep it up!

I'm sorry but it's completely unrealistic that the US would do as you say, blaming it on pride is a cop-out, pride has little to do with international politics and Madison wouldn't let it get in the way of sound decisions.

Risking a war with all major powers in Europe for Napoleon seems to me as a suicidal idea.

Nações Unidas d’Europa

The United what or Europe? Can you please stop with the weird writing, you're writing everything else in English, how in hell does it make sense for you to use Portuguese for the names.

I understand that you're trying to be original, but please stop.

Re: the names.

I think with the usage of the Portugese names, it's fairly obvious for certain words (i.e. Franca = France) are what they mean in English. I'm actually in favor of the other names. The writer did make the effort in writing it in English and making it accessable to the readers here with only a slight mention of Portuguese, which I assume is the author's native language.

Re: protecting Napoleon

It does seem rather bizarre. Why would Napoleon leave for the US?

(Although at that moment with Andrew Jackson in the mix, there are going to be further reprocussions in the US for that move.)

Maybe Napoleon could flee to some other nation.

Re: Nações Unidas d’Europa

I'm guessing that this is the Spanish Kingdom in Mexico?

The United what or Europe? Can you please stop with the weird writing, you're writing everything else in English, how in hell does it make sense for you to use Portuguese for the names.

United Nations of Europe. It's clear that he is using Portuguese on the words of easy translation.

And calling someone else native language "wierd writing" really doesn't help your request.

United Nations of Europe. It's clear that he is using Portuguese on the words of easy translation.

And calling someone else native language "wierd writing" really doesn't help your request.

That was easy translation? I didn't even know how that word was supposed to be pronounced, first thing that I thought when I saw it was nachos.

Re: Nações Unidas d’Europa

I'm guessing that this is the Spanish Kingdom in Mexico?

And clearly I'm not the only one that was having problems with it.

As for "weird writing", it is weird to me, as such I describe it as weird.

Lusitania

Donor
I'm sorry but it's completely unrealistic that the US would do as you say, blaming it on pride is a cop-out, pride has little to do with international politics and Madison wouldn't let it get in the way of sound decisions.

Risking a war with all major powers in Europe for Napoleon seems to me as a suicidal idea.

Re: the names.

Re: protecting Napoleon

It does seem rather bizarre. Why would Napoleon leave for the US?

(Although at that moment with Andrew Jackson in the mix, there are going to be further reprocussions in the US for that move.)

Maybe Napoleon could flee to some other nation.

All right I think that we have to think in the following, Napoleon was escaping and the only ship he could get on at the port happened to be American which was going to America. Once he got there noo country would in their right mind take him.

When he gets there he is taken into custody.

Note on history during the American Civil war two southern States representatives enroute to Europe to attempt to win support in Britain and France for the southern nation were intercepted on a British ship in the Atlantic.

They were forcebly removed be American troops and transported to Boston where they remained in custody. The British were incensed and demanded their immediate release. A diplomatic letter was written in a very harsh and stern manner telling the US either cough up the two guys or face the wrath of the British Empire. Fortunetly for all people Prince Albert (consort to Queen Victoria) took the document and re-phrase it diplomatically which was then sent to the US government.

US received the diplomatically polite letter and did let those two guys go. Now if the orriginal letter had been sent telling the US government to give up the men or face punishment, guess what even fighting the American civil war they would of rejected it.

Look at history, it is full of countries making decissions based on patriotism, and pride. Maybe some countries would of caved in, but not the US. It has never caved in to a foreign powers demand. I think one of the founding father said something like this.
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute!"

Great Britain, was in a boisterous mood, flushed with indignation and pride at having beaten its longtime foe only to see him flee. They were adamant on his return and were not bery diplomatic about it "Give him up or we will crush you" was the gist of the letter.

As for the state of the American politics, I have sort of ignored it and will be posting it soon.

Thank You, as for Portuguese names I have tempered them so that names in Portuguese that are too different from English will be used sparingly and then only with accompaning English translations.

This TL is getting better and better, congratulations, Lusitania!
It looks like that Portugal "pulled a Meiji" a century before the Japanese, lol, but in a very, very reasonable way - a impressive work of research and planning to turn Portugal a Great Power without ASBing.

And don't mind the lusophobes, one day they'll fear the "last flower of Lazio, incult and beautiful"!

--

And "Nações" is pronounced as " nɐˈsõĩʃ ", if it helps you, cbr, in the international phonetic alphabet. "ç" sounds exactly like a "ss", and "ões" sounds barely like "o-ems"

Note on history during the American Civil war two southern States representatives enroute to Europe to attempt to win support in Britain and France for the southern nation were intercepted on a British ship in the Atlantic.

They were forcebly removed be American troops and transported to Boston where they remained in custody. The British were incensed and demanded their immediate release. A diplomatic letter was written in a very harsh and stern manner telling the US either cough up the two guys or face the wrath of the British Empire. Fortunetly for all people Prince Albert (consort to Queen Victoria) took the document and re-phrase it diplomatically which was then sent to the US government.

US received the diplomatically polite letter and did let those two guys go. Now if the orriginal letter had been sent telling the US government to give up the men or face punishment, guess what even fighting the American civil war they would of rejected it.

First thing I'd like to point out is that you're just assuming they'd have rejected it, you don't actually know that.

Second, It's one thing to try to mouth off the the UK alone and quite another to do it to all the major powers, especially for Napoleon. I have no idea why you'd think they would protect him and not hand him over, not only is it suicidal, but handing him over would not be a sign of weakness at all.

This isn't some innocent person that the big bullies in Europe want to torture, he's the guy that tried to conquer an entire continent... twice, and for the US to risk being annexed by a joint invasion of Europe for him seems redarded.

Even if Europe won't invade the US for this, there is absolutely no reason to alienate an entire continent just to protect a guy that doesn't deserve it, this has nothing to do with pride, it has to do with relations, economic ones, political ones.

I wouldn't even be that bothered by it, I wouldn't really care if Madison and the US acted like headless chickens if that's what you want, but to say that your reasoning is sound and that the US protecting Napoleon isn't ASBish is quite a streach.

Lusitania

Donor
First thing I'd like to point out is that you're just assuming they'd have rejected it, you don't actually know that.

Second, It's one thing to try to mouth off the the UK alone and quite another to do it to all the major powers, especially for Napoleon. I have no idea why you'd think they would protect him and not hand him over, not only is it suicidal, but handing him over would not be a sign of weakness at all.

This isn't some innocent person that the big bullies in Europe want to torture, he's the guy that tried to conquer an entire continent... twice, and for the US to risk being annexed by a joint invasion of Europe for him seems redarded.

Even if Europe won't invade the US for this, there is absolutely no reason to alienate an entire continent just to protect a guy that doesn't deserve it, this has nothing to do with pride, it has to do with relations, economic ones, political ones.

I wouldn't even be that bothered by it, I wouldn't really care if Madison and the US acted like headless chickens if that's what you want, but to say that your reasoning is sound and that the US protecting Napoleon isn't ASBish is quite a streach.

I ask you to find anywhere it says that the US decalred war on UK in 1812 because it was at war with France and therfore could be beaten. That is not the reason there were several I have eluded to them in my previous posts. Great Britain was bullying the Americans and they finally had had it and could not take it anymore.

The same reasons exist here except the war in Europe came to an end earlier than iOTL. Additional circumstances also were at play and I will be posting them soon.

What do the other readers think? Especially those that have created other American timelines, would the USA cave in?

What do the other readers think? Especially those that have created other American timelines, would the USA cave in?

That's exactly my point, handing Napoleon over isn't caving, it's reasonable and as the military situation looks, it's sane. There is no reason for the US to protect Napoleon, except if it's looking for a war against the European powers, and that isn't just UK.

The only reason one could think for the US to not hand over Napoleon is if they are looking for a war, which considering it wouldn't be just against the UK and in OTL after the UK started bringing troops from Europe after the Napoleonic Wars were over, the US started losing fast.

I say again... the US has no economic or political reason to not hand over Napoleon, on the other hand they have MANY reasons why handing him over is a good idea, not least of which is the fact that it's the normal, sane and fair thing to do.

In my mind, America being willing to die in defense of Napoleon would be somewhat akin to if IOTL, Osama bin Laden had in mid-2002 publicly hopped a plane to Venezuela and the Venezuelans actively taking up arms to defend him. Hugo Chavez and the Venezuelan government doesn't like America, takes a good deal of pride in resisting them, and is positive that America sponsored a coup against them in April of 2002. But would they be willing to die for that pride? In the defense of someone they're not even that close to? Because they would know that all of NATO and a good share of the rest of the world would invade them, and that they wouldn't stand a chance in a fight. They might make a diplomatic fuss, but I doubt even Chavez would invite complete destruction for the sake of pride.

In this timeline, how great is American popular support for Napoleon? It's not like he's been spreading democracy throughout Europe, he's been an autocrat who's attempted to conquer most of Europe. As much as the American public doesn't like the major European powers, I doubt they'd be willing to see their cities bombarded into rubble and their country annexed for the sake of a foreign emperor.

I should also say that, aside from this last little bit, I have been loving this timeline.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
War of 1814

On December 20 the Allies delivered to the government of América an ultimatum demanding they turn over Napoleão by end of January or face war. The American government formally refused the allies demands on January 15 and the Allies declared war on February 12, 1814. The Allied plan was to fight the Americans at sea, it was believed that an economic blockade would force the Americans to the negotiation table and Napoleão would be turned over, but unfortunately the war did not pan out like they thought and by the end of the year would engulf the entire northern part of the Continente América. By the war end the Estados Unidos, British North America and Espanha would be forever changed. The political and commercial links between América and European countries (Espanha also) would be impacted for a long time.

Prelude to War –América Indian War (Part I)

In 1811 the American people living on the frontier (Northwest Territory) became increasing alarmed at the number and ferocity of the Indian attacks on white settlers. The Native American leader Tecumseh attempted to form a Native Confederation to better withstand the Americans. He and Governor of the Indiana Territory, Henry Harrison met in June of that year to try and come to an agreement. But the Americans refused to deal with the confederacy and instead only wished to deal with each individual tribe. Tecumseh’s brother Tenskwatawa a shaman preached to the Indians about rejecting of the Whiteman’s way and returning to traditional native ways.

During the rest of the summer both the Americans and the Natives clashed and prepared for the upcoming confrontation. In September Tecumseh left to visit the Southern Civilized Natives in an attempt to garnish their support. That same month the Territory Militia was formed due to the threat of an Indian War.

With the natives on the war path and Tecumseh away, Governor Harrison decided to march the militia and regular soldiers totaling about 1,350 (only 330 regular soldiers) against the Natives gathering at Prophetstown close to the Rio Wabash in an effort to force them to sign a peace treaty. On October 8 they constructed Fort Harrison and waited supplies, while a group of soldiers was foraging they were ambushed suffering several casualties and the rest was forced to retreat back to the fort where they awaited supplies. After receiving supplies from Vincennes they continue their march.

On November 6 when the American forces reached the forks of the Rios Wabash and Tippecanoe they are attacked while the sun is in their eyes. During the fight Harrison is wounded and his forces are forced back to the Rio Wabash. Cornered the Americans fight a desperate battle for several hours repulsing several native attacks. The battle continued through the day but only with sporadic gunfire, at nightfall the Natives withdraw leaving the Americans to tend their wounded and weary of another Native attack. The Americans had lost close to 300 casualties and had double that in wounded.

On November 7 Tenskwatawa sent an emissary under white flag to the Americans offering parole and safe passage to all those that promise not to take up weapons against natives again. Weary of Indian treachery but cut off from reinforcements and supplies and with such huge amount of wounded (during the night of November 6-7, 15 more wounded Americans had died) Captain Spier Spencer who had assumed command with the incapacitation of Harrison agreed.

On November 9 the Americans began their retreat back to Fort Harrison but when they arrived at the site of the fort on December 10 they only found the burnout remains and no sign of the 30 man garrison left guarding it. From there they continued south with no supplies to Vincennes. About half way they were intercepted by a relief column sent from Vincennes. Of the over 1,300 Americans that had marched north only 400 reached Vincennes on December 25 1811. Unfortunately Governor Harrison was not one of them and when they reached Vincennes Captain Spencer committed suicide due to the guilt he felt for his agreement with Indians.

News of the Indian victory shocked the territory with hundreds of settlers abandoning their homesteads and seeking the safety of forts and larger communities. Most settlements took the appearance of armed camps. Over the next few months attacks against the settlers by Natives increased and isolated outposts in the Indiana and Illinois Territories were targeted with many either being abandoned and/or destroyed.

Newspapers all through the country carried the story about the battle and the majority if not all blamed it on the British supplying the natives with weapons. Some newspapers especially in the west even went as far as claiming that there were regular British soldiers leading the Indians and that artillery was used.

William Blout of Tennessee called for the government to “purge the camps of Indians of every Englishmen to be found”. War hawks in the congress passed resolution condemning the British for interfering in American domestic Affairs.

The American government ordered the Federal army to the Northwest and almost all of it marched to the Indiana and Illinois Territories from January to March of 1812 to protect the American settlers and defeat the Indians.

Meanwhile Tenskwatawa had grown in prestige amongst the Indians and when Tecumseh returned from the south in January he was alarmed but gained many new converts to his confederacy.

Tecumseh02.jpg

Tecumseh leader of the Indian Confederation 1805-1824

In the spring of 1812 the American Army of over 2,700 soldiers reached Prophetstown but by then they found it completely deserted. In the spring the Americans suffered additional defeats; On April 10 the Fort Dearborn Massacre resulted in Americans suffering over 50 dead including 36 settlers, then on April 30 the Pigeon Roost Massacre left 60 settlers and militia dead.

The largest battle of 1812 occurred at Wild Cat Creek in August; the American forces of 1,900 defeated an Indian force of over a 1,000 sustaining only 200 casualties. Unfortunately the Americans lost contact with the retreating Indians and they were able to escape. The American forces were stretched thin trying to protect the American settlers and attack the natives who under Tecumseh adopted a hit and run tactic.

By 1813 the two territories were ablaze and the United States was blaming the British. During the spring and summer the Americans defeated the Indians at the Battle of Fort Harrison (Rebuilt) in March, Battle of Fort Wayne in June and Battle of Rio Eel in August. But in each one were able to beat off the Indian attack but could not inflict a devastating blow.

The Indians under constant pressure slowly moved north, those that did not were killed; Tecumseh and his brother along with over 1,000 Indian soldiers and their families retreated into British North America during the autumn of 1813 angering the Americans greatly. This further implicated the British in the Indian attacks of América.

Last edited:
I do like the small bit about the Indian Wars.

Posted by Lusitiana

All right I think that we have to think in the following, Napoleon was escaping and the only ship he could get on at the port happened to be American which was going to America. Once he got there noo country would in their right mind take him.

When he gets there he is taken into custody.

Look at history, it is full of countries making decissions based on patriotism, and pride. Maybe some countries would of caved in, but not the US. It has never caved in to a foreign powers demand. I think one of the founding father said something like this.
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute!"

Great Britain, was in a boisterous mood, flushed with indignation and pride at having beaten its longtime foe only to see him flee. They were adamant on his return and were not bery diplomatic about it "Give him up or we will crush you" was the gist of the letter.

As for the state of the American politics, I have sort of ignored it and will be posting it soon.

Ah - but even with patriotism being the major point (This is more of a discussion on that idea rather than the TL itself.), wouldn't common sense factor in? With the cited case above, what President Lincoln had to face was the UK and that was it. With the case that you have written, President Madison has to face Portugal, England, Prussia, and all the other nations that are built up from the Napoleonic Wars.

With that said, there is also the possible Monroe Doctrine that might not have occured in this TL.

There is a fine line between patriotism and stupidity. Surely, the President Madison in this TL would recognize this. President Monroe of this TL has to face a very upset Spanish regime in exile, a growing Portugal in South America, and a very strong English colony to the north. Perhaps if the whole accepting of Napoleon would not have happened, then something akin to the War of 1812 would occur. President Monroe would have interefered with the very weak Mexico colony to the South and the whole thing about the British tensions to the North.

However, this is your TL and you can do whatever you want with it. These are just my own ideas.

(also posted by the same author)

I woud have said that the US would have accepted him but put him in some place that is very remote. In that way, a much larger war would have been avoided or something akin to a War of 1812 .... without all of the European states involved. In that avenue, Portugal would be supplying England because of that alliance ... but only in a supplying role and Portugal would be doing other things.

Lusitania

Donor
War of 1814

Prelude to War –América Indian War (Part II)

During Tecumseh’s visit to the Civilized Tribes in the Southern United States in 1811 he met with representatives of the five tribes: the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek, and Seminole, in an attempt to form a common Indian resistance to the encroaching Americans. Only the Creek were receptive to his message, he met with both Chief Menawa and William Weatherford of the Creek who had been advocating the same message. While they did not represent all the Creek they and had a substantial following, their followers who were known as the Bâtons Rouge “Red Sticks” advocated the rejection of acculturation of the white man’s ways and the return to the traditional Indian ways. In 1811 they had begun attacking domestic animals and farming equipment as well as burning crops.

During the summer and autumn of 1811 Weatherford through contacts in Florida Espanhola namely Peter McQueen received weapons and supplies from the Spanish. The Florida Espanhola governor Juan O’Donojú under the instruction of the Spanish Prime-Minister Pedro Cevallos in Mexico City provided guns, powder and supplies in an attempt to force the American government to recognize Spanish claim to the Territorio Louisiana. During that timeline they limited their attacks to other Creeks who had taken up the ways and customs of the Americans in what was known as the Creek War.

When the news reached the southern Indians of the victories by Tecumseh followers against the Americans in the December of 1812 the Red Sticks gained a lot of support and new followers. With the defeat of the Americans they began attacking not only “White Creeks” but also white settlers. The attacks became more violent and the Red Sticks began attacking and killing the people not only their farms and belongings.

During the Winter the white settlers in the Territorio Mississippi, Estados de Tennessee and Georgia became alarmed and angry at the Indians making no distinction between friendly and hostile Indians. There were repeated attacks against Indian villages by informal white militias. The anger turned to hatred when on December 25 1811 the Red Sticks attacked Fort Mims in the Territorio Mississippi where a large number of whites and white Indians had sought refuge from the fighting.

The red sticks attacked at dawn when no sentry was posted and proceeded to attack all those inside. At the end of the battle over 672 people had died including hundreds of women and children.

Massacre_at_Fort_Mims.jpg

Fort Mims Christmas Massacre

Once again the American people were enraged and furious over the attack by natives on Americans and demanded action. In the estado de Tennessee one person rose to the top of those demanding action; Andrew Jackson. With the federal troops in the northwest the Estado de Tennessee, and Georgia and the Territorio de Mississippi all raise militias to defend América from the red menace. Meanwhile during the months of January and February other forts in the area are subsequently attacked by the Red Sticks, including Fort Sinquefield.

The Estado de Tennessee governor Willie Blount appointed Andrew Jackson as leader of the West Tennessee force which is recruited with six month contract. Colonel Jackson personally takes the lead in getting his men ready and marching. In record time Colonel Jackson marches south with 2,500 men on March 20 1812. The eastern Tennessee force under Major General William Cocke was not ready till May.

On the way south Jackson's troops began to construct Fort Strother along the Rio Coosa. From there General John Coffee defeated the Red sticks at the battle of Tallushatchee, inflicting over 170 casualties and forcing them to flee while only suffering 6 casualties. Subsequently Colonel Jackson once again defeated another group of Red Sticks at the battle of Talladega. He waited at Fort Strother for supplies and reinforcements.

On May 1st the 39th US infantry arrived along with supplies and using them as the center stone of his force to instill discipline and strength into his army he trains his soldiers into a strong fighting force. From Fort Strother Colonel Jackson marched his forces through difficult terrain till they reached Chief Menawa's Red Stick camp near a bend in the Rio Tallapoosa, called "Horseshoe Bend” on July 15.

Jackson army of 3,000 men squared off against an entrenched Creek Indian force of close to 5,000 but which only had 2,000 guns. Jackson sent General Coffee with the US infantry and mounted infantry around to attack from the south on the other side of the river while he with the rest of the 2,000 men attacked from the north.

When General Coffee and his men were ready Jackson ordered a bayonet charge while Coffee men attacked from the rear. Many of the Indians were caught in the cross fire, the Red Sticks suffered over 1,800 casualties effectively ending the Red Stick resistance. Chief Menawa and about 300 men are able to escape across the Rio Tallapoosa and make in to the Florida Espanhol.

Battle_of_Horseshoe_Bend.jpg

Battle of Horseshoe Bend July 1812

During the months of June and July the militia of Georgia under the command of General Floyd engage a Red Creek force at the battle of Auttose on June 1st. General Floyd is wounded and his force withdrew to Fort Mitchell. Meanwhile the Mississippi Militia under General Thomas Flourney with close to 1,000 regular and militia attacked Creek property during the months of June and July but never engaged any Native forces.

On august 15 Andrew Jackson imposed the Treaty of Fort Jackson on the Creek represented by William Weatherford. In the treaty they were forced to give up over 23 million acres of land in the Estado de Georgia and the Territorio de Mississippi. Jackson was acclaimed a hero throughout the country and awarded the rank of Major General.

800px-Jackson_and_Weatherford.jpg

Andrew Jackson and William Weatherford sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson in 1812

General Jackson was adamant that it had been the Spanish who had supplied the Indians and he wanted to punish them for the American deaths they had caused. In the summer of that year there were Spanish incursions into American territory from Texas causing 10 American settlers their lives so Jackson begins preparations for the invasion of Florida Espanhol but has to wait till September for new recruits as the soldiers that had campaigned with him left when their six month contract ended.

By September 25 he has a new force of just over 1,600 men which he trained so when they receive their supplies he beings their march south against the Spanish with authorization or word from Washington.

On October 1, 1812 the American government declares war against Espanha for her violations of American sovereignty and arming natives against it. On October 2 the Americans attack the poorly defended city of Pensacola, the Spanish governor Juan O’Donojú escapes just as the American forces enter the city. Later the Spanish and other Europeans would protest that General Jackson’s actions had not been sanctioned by the American government but the Americans countered that since his attack only occurred after the declaration of war so it had not violated any international law.

From Pensacola the Americans marched east and captured the town of St. Marks on October 10 without firing a shot. General Jackson once again had to wait for supplies and was only able to march east against the last Spanish opposition in Florida the city of St. Augustine on November 15.

The Americans pounded the city’s defences for two days with artillery; General Jackson’s army was reinforced on the second day Georgia militia under the command of General Thomas Flournoy. The 3,500 men under General Thomas Flourney’s along with the 2,500 men Jackson had brought allowed the Americans launched an all out attack on the city.

The Spanish had over 600 soldiers garrisoning the town but had been reinforced by the last remnants of the Creek rebellion and armed runaway slaves. In total the Spanish had 1,500 men armed. The battle lasted just over two hours and the Americans were forced at times to fight house to house but at noon on December 1 the American flag flew over the city.

During the battle Chief Menawa once again slipped through the American forces and retreated south. Jackson once again acclaimed a hero and became the most popular American leader at the time.

In January 1813 he received an appointment as commander of the American forces in the Territorio Louisiana and marched west with 2,700 new recruits form Estados de Tennessee, Georgia and the Territorio Mississippi. On February 28 he arrived in New Orleans and officially took command of the Américan Forces arraigned against the Spanish.

In April he moves his forces out in an attempt to engage the Spanish and defeat them. On May 15 the Spanish Army under the command of José O’Donel was intercepted by the Americans under General Jackson attempting to cross the Rio Sabina.

The Sabina River battle was a huge victory for the Americans who were able to defeat an enemy twice their size. Jackson with less than 5,000 men had been able to defeat an army almost 12,000 strong. The Spanish withdrew back to Texas while Jackson and his forces slowly withdrew back to New Orleans. The Americans had lost close to 700 men and sustained an additional 1,200 casualties. The Spanish had lost almost twice that.

In June 1813 Great Britain and Portugal warned the Estados Unidos (United States) if it invaded Texas, meanwhile the Spanish now afraid of an American invasion requested peace.

On June 25 the Sabina Treaty was signed by América and Espanha. The Estados Unidos received all Spanish territory east of the Rio Mississippi and the Spanish recognized American sovereignty over the Territorio Louisiana. The treaty also fixed the American-Spanish border.

Many Americans including Jackson were apposed to the treaty believing that Espanha had gotten off too easy and had not paid enough for the deaths of Americans it was responsible for. The War Hawks in congress tried to block the treaty but it was finally passed by August 20 1813 and signed by President Madison on August 21.

On December 20 the American congress passed a motion repealing the payment of $5 million US dollars for the purchase of Florida due to the incriminating evidence arming the Indians to attack American settlers left by the Spanish governor in Pensacola. Andrew Jackson and the War hawks gained much support while the President and those that had advocated for peace lost a lot of prestige and influence.

Last edited:

Lusitania

Donor
War of 1814

Ultimatum and the American People

In 1813 the mood of the American government and the country as a whole was extremely angry and on the verge of war. The Indian wars in both the Northwest and South had been instigated by European powers namely Great Britain and Espanha. Newspapers wiped up the population to a frenzy printing articles regarding the evidence uncovered by Americans regarding the involvement of these foreign powers in arming the Indians and ultimately killing Americas. Since 1811 over 2,850 American settlers had been killed in the Indian Wars, the number of Indians was more than double that, but as far as most Americans were concerned it was not enough (Current estimates are that over 10,000 Indians had been killed by both American settlers and military). The sentiment in América was that the blood of these Americans was on the hands of the foreign powers.

Added to this was the anger towards Britain for its role in stopping American ships and the impressment of its sailors as well as blocking American ships from Napoleonic França[1]. British insults (such as the Chesapeake affair) provided many people with the notion that América had to stand up to the European bullies for national pride. The blockade of Napoleonic Europa first by Britain and then also Portugal had greatly affected American industry and trade during the Napoleonic Wars causing much hardship and loss of business.

Several members of congress especially those of the House of representative advocated war against the foreign interlopers, the War Hawks as they became know was for the most part made up of representatives from the western and southern states. The leader of this group was Speaker of the House Henry Clay of Kentucky along with John C. Calhoun of South Carolina they attempted to steer the country towards a path of war against Great Britain and Espanha.

Henry_Clay.JPG

Henry Clay, House leader 12th and 13th Congress,
leader of War Hawks

They achieved a partial victory when the Estados Unidos (United States) finally declared war on Espanha on October 1 1812. The war was a great success with the Americans achieving a great victory over Espanha and capturing Florida Espanhola. The Sabina Treaty between América and Espanha in 1813 was vehemently opposed by them but the majority of the House of Representatives and Senate approved during the 1st session of the 13th congress.

As for Great Britain, the collapse of Napoleonic França in 1812 ended the need for British impressment and blockade so the talk of war had dissipated although the ongoing Indian War in the Northwest and the perception of British support for the Indians continued to fester amongst many.

From the time Congress convened on August 21 till the reconvened on December 2 1813 the country had been rocked by several events. In the Northwest Tecumseh and his followers had withdrawn to British North America and the British Ambassador, Sir Augustus John Foster, warned the Estados Unidos that Britain would view the entry of American soldiers into Canadá as an act of war. This was viewed by many as further proof of British complicity in the support and arming of the Indians. General Jackson who had been appointed governor of the Territory of Florida provided proof regarding Spanish furnishing the Indians with weapons and supplies so they could attack Americans.

These two events provided the War Hawks with considerable prestige and support and their membership grew gaining the support of most representatives from the south and west. Lastly was the political hot potato arriving on the American soil on November 12 which while completely unwelcome by many garnished great support from the public.

During the month of November and December newspapers ran stories glorifying Napoleão’s fight against the autocratic monarchies of Europe, defending the principles of French freedom and revolution (they completely ignored the part of him declaring himself as Emperor).

When Congress reconvened for the 2nd session the War Hawks which had gained considerable support got a bill through congress repealing the payment of $5 million dollars to Espanha and when President Madison vetoed the bill it was re-approved with required two-thirds majority and it became law.

In the month of December attempts by the governments of América and Britain to come to an agreement regarding both Tecumseh and Napoleão gained ground. Britain would hand over Tecumseh and his brother while America would hand over Napoleão. All detainees were to receive fair trial and if found guilty be placed in custody. News of the pending agreement angered my in congress especially the War hawks, they demanded an immediate cessation of negotiations. President Madison in an attempt to gain support for the negotiations inserted the demand for the British government to pay compensation for the loss of American life and cost of war.

The British were insulted at the demand; they were appalled at presumption of the Estados Unidos to demand Great Britain pay indemnity. The British adamantly rejected the demands and in turn sent a very stern ultimatum to hand over Napoleão or face the wrath of British might and power.

The President while angry at the ultimatum waivered to accept the demands and turn over Napoleão, even though he knew it was political suicide but believing that it was in the nation’s best interest and a matter of survival. The War hawks were vehemently opposed to the acceptance of the ultimatum and the country especially the west and south seethed with anger and opposition. Then on January 3rd an enraged man Captain Nathaniel G. T. Hart who had been crippled in the Indian Wars shot President Madison in the arm. Captain Hart was subsequently tried and sentenced to prison but many shared his rage and anger.

The entire affair was too much for President Madison; with the country on the verge of civil war he officially refused British demands on January 15, 1814.

[1] Incidentally hundreds of impressed Américan sailors of Portuguese origin or descendant would petition the Portuguese officials when these English ships would make port in Portuguese controlled areas. Causing friction amongst the allies as the Portuguese would demand the release of the sailors. Portugal had similar demands put on its navy but it responded by filling the ranks with non-European Portuguese just like its army.

Last edited:
The Sabina Treaty between América and Espanha in 1813 was vehemently opposed by them but the majority of the House of Representatives and Senate approved during the 1st session of the 13th congress.

As far as I know in the US only the Senat must approve any foreign treaty, as such the House wouldn't vote on it, it's not their jurisdiction.

When Congress reconvened for the 2nd session the War Hawks which had gained considerable support got a bill through congress repealing the payment of $5 million dollars to Espanha and when President Madison vetoed the bill it was re-approved with required two-thirds majority and it became law.

Again, it stands to reason that since the House doesn't have jurisdiction to vote on a treaty to begin with, they can't amend it either, only the Senat can, and as you made it out that the Florida purchase is part of the Peace treaty it would completely bypass the House and only need Senat approval.

Also for a treaty to be valid in the US the Senat must pass it with 2/3 of the votes, as such the President wouldn't be able to veto it in the first place.

Your entire plot rests on the "War Hawks" having what seems to be almost unlimited power in Congress, especially the House, giving it powers it doesn't have in the first place.

There is a reason foreign policy is left to the executive branch with it needing the approval of only the Senat, it bypasses the volitility of the House and avoids problems exactly as the ones you count on to have a plot.

I enjoyed your story when it was centered on Portugal, but it has been lacking since you started writing about other nations. Your entire US can be described as a bad stereotype of "USA! USA! USA!", a stereotype which by the way only started well after WW2.