Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império" v2.0 - Narrative Stories

Lusitania

Donor
Hello, as mentioned in the revised and updated "Rebirth of an Empire" (see link below) we will be writing the TL using expository style. We also requested fans of the TL to add and contribute narrative stories to the TL. To help with the enriching of the TL we decided to start the process with some of the original TL narrative stories. Our hope is that fans over time as the TL is published will contribute their own stories of life in Portugal or any of its neighbors.

Rebirth of an Empire "O Renascimento de um Império" v2.0

Last edited:
"New Beginning (1750-1777)" - Lisbon Earthquake 1755

Lusitania

Donor
Narrative Stories for First book "New Beginning (1750-1777)"

Lisbon Earthquake 1755

November 1st 1755 9:36 AM
Lisbon, Portugal
Kingdom of Portugal

Maria and her family were on their way back home from church. They had just attended morning mass and being a holiday the church had been fuller and taken longer than normal. As she walked along the cobblestone street she couldn't stop thinking of all the things she had to do at home. Holiday or not she had a house to keep and family to feed. Speaking of which, her two sons and daughter were at it again; with the two boys picking on the younger sister again.

"Stop it, I hate you" Lidia yelled at both Manuel and João who snickered at Lidia discomfort.

"Lidia" rebuked Maria

"I am sorry mother" replied Lidia apologetic with her eyes downcast.

"Do not think you two are off the hook, when we get home I will have words with both of you" she added to the boys who now looked abashed.

Maria and her family continued along the narrow street, Manuel, her husband, leading the procession followed by the children and her bringing up the rear. Just as her husband got to the corner of her street she felt the ground heave under her and shake.

“Oh my God!” she screamed “What's going on?!”

All around her Maria heard people screaming both on the streets as well as in the buildings around her but she paid scant attention to their cries as all her attention was on her family in front of her.

Maria and her family were knocked down by the falling pieces of brickwork. She saw Manuel get up and help his sister Lidia, who was screaming on the ground paralyzed with fear. When she saw her other son and husband also getting up she thanked god for his blessing.

The moment of relief was short lived as the ground shook again and more pieces of brickwork fell around them.

“Manuel, Joao take Lidia to corner and make sure your father is alright” she ordered in a stern voice.

Both boys looked confused at her orders, both of them had been moving towards her but they obeyed her orders and they carried their sister to the corner where their dad was. Just as they reached him a third shock was felt. The last thing Maria saw was her family safe before the entire wall of the building fell on her.

---------------

November 1st 1755 10:42 AM
Lisbon, Portugal
Kingdom of Portugal

Joaquim felt both exaltation as well as dread; he was alive which was more than he could say for so many people in the city. He had escaped the earth tremors and the falling buildings. He had seen hundreds of people get buried alive as the walls collapsed on them but his luck had been with him.

He sat by the fountain trying to figure out what to do next. He was supposed to leave for Vila Franca de Xira today but now felt unsure what to do. While there was so much destruction around him there was also a lot of great opportunity. He had already profited a little but that was miniscule compared to what was afoot.

He was still undecided when he heard someone yelling

“The sea is retreating and you can see all the ships that had sunk”

Joaquim quickly got up and rushed towards the harbor, if there were sunken ships then there would be treasure he told himself. By the time he got to the harbor a multitude of people could already be seen combing along what had been the sea bottom. Spread out on the ground was countless ships and treasure. Already some of the closer ones were teaming with people.

He made his way down to the ground and raced towards one of the ships further out. He passed several groups of people some still looking for their treasure like him others already making their way back with whatever they could find. He passed a group fighting over something, there were two men on the ground not moving and two other men fought off three attackers. He steered around them and continued on his quest towards the three mast ship in front of him.

Slowly he made his way towards his prize dreaming of the riches he would find, as he neared it and his excitement grew he started feeling the ground rumble again but he ignored it there was nothing that could hurt him out here in the open. As he got closer to the ship the rumbling became loader.

His excitement retreated and he started feeling uneasy, he started feeling his luck abandoning him. Joaquim feeling uneasy stopped and began looking for the source of the constant rumbling that continued to grow louder. He turned to the west towards the sea and wished he had not.

In front of him traveling at an incredible speed was a wall of water, higher than a castle wall. His last thought before it overtook him was this must have been how the Egyptians felt like when Moses had brought the walls of water on them. It was quite funny that he even thought that since he had not been in a church since his 12th birthday.

"New Beginning (1750-1777)" - Portuguese Industrial & PRP Espionage

Lusitania

Donor

Portuguese Industrial & PRP Espionage
Town of Blackburn
Kingdom of England
March 22, 1768

The mood in the Forester Pub in the town of Blackburn was of tension and anger. After the collapse of several local shops during the past month, several of the towns leading business men had gathered to decide what to do regarding the disposition of the upstart named James Hargreaves.

“I tell you if we do not do something about this, it's the wool business going out the window next!” replied James angrily, the proprietor of one of the towns leading town’s business men. “Jack's gone out of business, Angus is at the church beggin' for shillings and Callum showed up yesterday at my door just for a place to sleep! These bloody inventors keep replacing us with machines! Trust me, before ya know it, you're fired cause they got 'Jenny' to replace you!”

“It's not so bad.” commented a friend. “We'll just have to wait for them to build more workshops, right?”

“And what will ya eat until then? Think the King'll offer charity to duffers like us?!”

“Do not fret yourself, I have a plan to get rid of Hargreaves once and for all” answered John the towns major weaver with a gleam in his eyes before emptying his tankard.

He looked around the table at the other five men seeing their eagerness matching his “Tomorrow night we will get all of our employees and their friends down at the Wharf, then we will march down to that troublemaker’s house and run him and all his cohorts out of town.”

The men all looked up and smiled at each other about the prospect of their problems being resolved and their profits recovering.

“It would not be our fault if something tragic was to happen; it is always hard to control desperate men who are defending their livelihood” joked a heavy set man named Walter.

The group ordered another round and continued plotting the demise of the much maligned entrepreneur James Hargreaves. Finally after their drinks were gone they each got up and made their way out into the chilly spring evening.

Unnoticed in a corner of the pub a nondescript man continued to nurse his ale until he was sure no one was noticing him. He got up slowly and made his way out the door, from there he made his way to the Royal Oak Inn where he and his assistant made plans for the next day.

***​

James Hargreaves was having dinner with his wife and daughters when there was a loud knock. James became very startled at the reason someone would be knocking at his back door. He wearily got up and keeping himself between the person or persons at the door and his family he opened the door.

He was surprised to a gentleman of top hat and suit joined by a fellow in cloak. “Can I help you?” James inquired.

“James Hargreaves?” the man inquired when James acknowledged the question the man continued “I'm afraid we do not have much time, so listen carefully. My associate got word that a mob is making its way to your workshop and house at this very moment with the intention of ruining you and your family.” the man said in a very fast and accented voice. It sounded Spaniard, but not quite as strongly as what he was used to. “I fear for the safety of your family if you do not hurry.”

“What do you mean, and who are you anyway?” demanded James taken back by the news.

“Your local competitors have decided eliminate what they perceive as an unfair competitor, they mean to destroy your business and if you or your family get in the way they will not be terribly upset” replied the stranger

For the first time since he opened the door he became aware of the startled exclamation and anxiety emanating from his wife and daughters behind him.

“You still have not explained who you are!” replied James wife as she came up and stood behind her husband.

The stranger was interrupted from answering by his cloaked associate. “Master, the mob is getting closer we have less than few minutes before they are here” said the new stranger.

On cue with this interruption, the sound of a large group of people shouting far away as well as the light of torches were detected by the couple, making their faces go pale. “Dear Lord! What is going on?” James Hargreaves asked himself.

The gentlemen took a second to consider the news before addressing the servant “Get the wagons here right away, hurry.” He turned back to face the Hargreaves, “I am sorry, my name is Jack Silvestre[1] and I was in town on business hopping to meet with inventors and industrialists like yourself and my servant overheard several people talking. I rushed here as soon as I could to offer any assistance I could, fearing the actions of these people”.

Before James could answer the sound of a wagon was heard, but although still a little away the noises of the mob could already be heard. His wife acted faster than he did. She directed the girls to run to their rooms and get whatever they could and bring it to the wagon out back. James finally reacted and rushed to his workshop.

“Do you need any help” Jack asked following James down the hall.

“Yes” replied James

Together they loaded several of the James assets, patents and documents onto the wagon behind the family along with other personal belongings. They took off just as the mob reached the front of the house. By the time they reached the end of the street the mob was ransacking the house and workshop and fire could already be seen from the second floor windows.

“What are we going to do, what is to become of us” asked Mrs. Hargreaves as James attempted to comfort her, he was unable to answer her though still in shock over the attack and narrow escape.

“Do not worry, I'm also a member of a certain embassy in London and I represent some very influential and powerful people who can help you and your family`` answer Jack from the front seat as they made their way out of town. “Mister Stephens, the one who funds me, will make sure you are properly taken care of.”

[1] Jack Silvestre was actually Joaquim Silves who travelled throughout England from 1764-1786 making contact with English businessmen and entrepreneurs.

"New Beginning (1750-1777) - " PRP & the Irish

Lusitania

Donor
PRP & the Irish
Village of Nohaval
Island of Ireland
September 20, 1765

Seán T. O'Kelly did not know what he was going to do; he sat all alone in the village pub nursing his drink. When he had come into the pub there had been a great deal sympathy shown towards him including several free drinks but as the night had worn on they slowly had drifted away so that now he sat all alone nursing his last tankard.

His mind kept racing back to earlier this afternoon when the magistrate had shown up and served him with notice that his farm had been confiscated for unpaid taxes. It was only through the mercy of the parish priest that they had given him till the end of the month to leave. Lots of good that would do; 10 days to worry and despair about how he was going to support his wife and four kids with one more on the way. It was almost midnight by the time he finally hauled himself back to his family. Part of him wanted to disappear and not think about life anymore but the part that wanted to do what was right kept him on the path home no matter what waited for him there.

For the next week Seán tried everything he could think of, he looked for work everywhere but to no avail. Each night he would drown his sorrows at the pub but every time he would stop himself and return home to face life. Then on Sunday the parish priest told him and his wife that he had arranged for both his oldest daughters to enter convent so they would be taken care of. Seán still cringed at the thought that he would have to put both daughters there to save them but he could do nothing about the boys since they were too small. So that night was no different, the depression he had fought hard to keep from overwhelming him was growing stronger each day. The part that wanted to forget all about his problems was getting stronger. Maybe tonight would be the night he would finally give in to the thought as he stepped through the door into the pub.

The pub was only half full, most looked up and gave him a half-hearted greeting before returning to their friends and drinks. He made his way to the bar to order his usual.

“Evening Seán, been waiting for you” said the owner Brian.

“I am a creature of habit, what else can I do, where else would I go? He replied “Pass me a beer, Brian, will ye?”

“Well, I have some news for ye that might help” answered the bartender

“You know someone who is hiring?” Seán asked sheepishly afraid to get his hopes up.

“No” answered Brian as Seán’s face became crestfallen again, “what I mean is I have made contact with someone who can help you. I have a cousin who just recently arrived back in Ireland and is looking for fellows like you”

“What do you mean like me?” asked Seán suspiciously “Arrived from where?” he added.

“Why don’t I let him tell you himself? He is sitting over there at the back table, come on I will introduce you.” He answered hurriedly.

Seán followed the bartender hesitantly; as he followed the bartender he noticed most of the locals were keeping an eye on him. When he got closer to the table he was able to see the stranger better he was surprised to see a well-dressed man, not at all the person he expected after Brian’s conversation.

“Patrick this is Seán, who I talked to you about, Seán this is my cousin Patrick” said Brian the bartender.

“A pleasure to meet you, Brian why don’t you get both of us a drink” said the stranger getting up to greet Seán.

Seán sat down wearily and waited, but while Patrick seemed friendly he waited until the bartender had put two tankards on the table before he started.

“I know you have a lot of questions and probably are quite a bit weary, so let me start by explaining my story and then I will answer your questions” he said taking a sip of his drink.

Seán quickly nodded before taking a long drink from his tankard. Over the next hour and two more drinks Patrick told him his story and how he had arrived back in Ireland.

“I am here to offer you hope and opportunity, all you have to do is grab it” finished Patrick.

Seán sat there absorbing what he had heard, finally he finished his drink then said “It is an interesting story you weave but in case you have not heard I am not in any position to undertake such a trip. My situation is such that I cannot even support my family never mind paying for passage….”

“You would not be required to pay for anything, as I told you all costs will be paid for” Patrick cut him off.

Seán sat there unable to make any commitments, taking that as his cue, Patrick got up and said “I will be through this village on the 30th if you and your family wish to come I will take you all to Cork where you will stay as my guests until the next ship comes in.” he added, then tipping his hat to the bartender he left.

Seán sat alone for a while thinking about he had heard and his life, that night for the first time in almost a month he returned home sober, well as sober as any Irishman could be. He and his wife discussed the offer from Patrick over the next few days. They prayed to God and finally on the 30th seeing no alternative the family packed the few things they owned and waited for Patrick to arrive.

Early in the morning Seán and his family walked to bartender’s house to await Patrick’s arrival, all morning the family stayed huddled inside away from the eyes of the other villagers praying. As the morning wore on Seán’s anxieties grew, what if no one arrived what was he going to do about his family.

The bartender’s wife sensing their growing anxiety went out of her way to reassure them. “Don’t you worries now, I know Patrick will be here soon, God is looking after you now.” Sure enough at about noon news came that two wagons had just been spotted coming into town.

Brian the bartender came in to the room just as the wagons stopped outside. “I just wanted to wish you and your family all the best.” Seán, his wife and children moved slowly with the determination outside where they saw two covered wagons. Patrick was seated on the first one. When he spotted Seán he got down from the wagon and approached them.

“Thank you for taking my offer” he said to Seán and his family when he reached them. “I have space for you all in the second wagon please follow me”. As Seán and his family passed the first wagon they could not help themselves from looking in. Inside was another family, tired looking and exhausted like them. Patrick helped the children in and then Seán and his wife joined them.

With a quick exchange of goodbyes to the bartender the wagons were off. Seán and his wife looked back at Nohaval for the last time and the villagers as they looked at them with both apprehension and suspicion
. They traveled for a long time and just as the sun was setting they finally made it into Cork. They traveled for a little ways in the city till they reached a large house with an enclosed courtyard. When the wagons stopped inside the courtyard someone closed the gate and a woman came out.

“I did not think you were going to make it in tonight” she told Patrick in a stern voice

“The roads are not in the best of condition this time of the year, but we made it, by the lords grace, Theresa” he replied back

“Well let’s not keep these good people waiting lets help them down and get them inside, I presume they have not had anything to eat all day?” she berated Patrick as Seán and his family along with not one but two families from the other wagon wearily got out of the wagons and into the courtyard. They were shepherded into a large room with three tables where they all sat and ate for the first time all day. In reality, for several people it was the first time they had eaten in days. Theresa, being knowledgeable about the dangers of overeating was careful not to let them eat too much less they get sick. They were taken to three rooms one for each family. There they stayed venturing out to the common room for meals while they awaiting what fate God had in store for them. During the next days they were joined by two more families.

After four days in the large house they were again taken by wagon during the middle of the night to the docks. A ship waited tied up, the wagons stopped in front of the ship and each family made their way on it and into the hold. When all families were safely on board the ship set off to sea at daybreak before the low tide came in. With the O'Kellys, Ó’Briains, O'Keefes, O'Kanes and O'Boyle on board ready set to add their contribution to the Portuguese Empire.

In years later Seán would make the trip himself and visit Nohaval acting as the recruiter this time. A scene that would be repeated over and over.

------
Santarem County
Ratton Paper Factory
March 18, 1763

Jacome Ratton was not a happy man; he had come to the factory to find out the reason for the low production numbers. He had been met by the factory manager and given a tour of the factory which although less than four years old had just recently been expanded but the increase in production he had been expecting had not materialized.

From the onset of his tour he quickly became aware of the problem. “Where are all the workers” he asked Antonio the manager.

“This is all of them, Mr. Director Jacome”

“You should be having twice as many people here, what was the use of expanding this factory if it sits half empty” Jacome shot back irritation showing in his voice.

“We have been able to hire 20 more men since the expansion but there isn’t anyone we can get. The landlords will not release the people, they are clamoring that they are short of people, I have been in Castelo Branco and Leiria and it’s all the same. There just isn’t anyone available; the reconstruction, road building is taking up all the people. We are not the only ones desperate for people” answered Antonio defensively.

“I know, there is so much to do and not enough people to do it” replied Jacome more to himself “I will need to talk to the Count of Oeiras about this” he added to himself. “I have a quota to fill to the cabinet and I refuse to fall behind Guillermo just because there's not enough hands in this country to work.”

There was a commotion at the other end of the factory and Antonio rushed to deal with it leaving Jacome alone with his thoughts when he noticed one of the workers approaching him very hesitantly. When he noticed Jacome’s attention on him he hesitated and made to turn back.

“You there, come here” Jacome called out to him

The man came over very hesitantly, “You wanted something” he inquired

The man hesitated for a while then seeming to gather his courage spoke “I am sorry to disturb ye Mr. Director, but I'm after overhearing Mr. Antonio telling ye about the lack of workers…”

Jacome squinted with the strange phrasing. “What's your name, worker?”

“Patrick O’Connor, sir” he said tipping his work hat. “Born and raised in Ireland, sir.”

“Ah, an Irish” Jacome said as if that explained everything “How did you end up down here?”

“I was serving with the English army in Portugal and when the war was over I decided to stay behind” he responded a little unsure how this information would be received.

“Yes, there seemed to be quite a few of you who decided to do that. Now how do you think you can help me regarding workers?” Jacome asked.

“Sir I do know a number of my people who would be willing to work here. Weather's warm, the king's catholic and it's got nice hills just like sweet home. Can't be reason for not accepting.” he assured, his strong Irish pronunciation still strong even after years in Portugal.

“And how would we get them here I may inquire?” asked Jacome intrigued at this fellows thinking and suggestion.

“If there was someone who could contact them, then people could be gotten here” replied Patrick his confidence returning.

“Unfortunately I do not know anyone in Ireland, do you?” he asked more to see what this man had in mind.

“Mr. Director, I can be your man in Ireland, I can get you the people you need” answered Patrick.

“How do I know that this is not just some ploy for me to pay for some home sick man to return home?” answered Jacome testing him.

“Sir, my family is here, my wife and children are in Portugal and Dublin may be my sweet home, but it holds nothing for me anymore. I still have family and friends there and do wish to help them but nothing more” answered Patrick with a serious look.

“I will think about what you said” Jacome said with a dismissal of his hand. Antonio the factory manager returned that moment and Patrick made himself scarce less he find displeasure.

“I am sorry about that Sir, is everything alright?” he asked noting the worker leaving.

“Yes, yes I was just discussing the possibility of gaining new employees?” answered Jacome, “Unfortunately they are overseas and the costs are too great” he added. Jacome finished his inspection of the factory and departed soon afterwards back to the Capital. “But if Stephens gets his inventions from the Isles, I can surely convince the Count of Oeiras to get my manpower from there too. He's always liked Britain after all.”

----------------------------------

Concelho de Santarem
Ratton paper Factory
May 10, 1763

Patrick reported to his job at daybreak thinking nothing of the conversation he had had with the owner a few months earlier. Antonio had sequestered him after the owner had left but when he found out he had suggested getting workers in Ireland he had berated him to not waste his superior’s time again. Luckily for him there was such an acute shortage of workers that the factory manager had not done anything else. So he was surprised and apprehensive when he was ordered to report to the manager’s office.

He was shocked to find Jacome waiting for him instead of Antonio.

“Well Patrick it seems that you are going to get your wish. We desperately need those workers so I need you to come with me today back to Lisbon and be on your way to Ireland. If you still want the job”.

Patrick only hesitated for a few seconds, before replying “I do, Sir, I won’t let you down Sir, thank you” he exclaimed excitedly.

“Go home and make preparations, we leave just after midday” added Jacome.

very good new update, the narrative story is coming along quite fine, so many Irish coming to work to the Portuguese empire, and improving their quality of life quite so.Can hardly wait for the next chapters

"Rebuilding, Transition and Tension (1777-1783)" - Portuguese French Confrontation at Mahe

Lusitania

Donor
Narrative Stories for Second book "Rebuilding, Transition and Tension (1777-1783)"

Portuguese French Confrontation at Mahé

It had been many days of monsoon rain along the coast around Mahé preceding this situation, so many of the tired sailors and sails would almost elate at the first light of the sun that finally broke through the clouds on the 1st of August. Conducting the fleet of second and third rates down the Konkan coast had not been easy, especially after the countless operations conducted against the Marathas and Baroda. Everyone was exhausted, from the cabin boys, to the cannon crew, to the crow nest to the captains. This extended to the other eleven ships accompanying the Goan vessel, anchoring themselves with broadside pointing at the shore with all the crews desperate for rest.

Except for the Vice-Admiral, or so it always seemed to the men aboard the Beira Prince. Limping out of his private cabin on the tempered ship to the upper deck were many of the men were gathering, the ‘Hammershark’, sporting his official navy garment, scars and ‘don’t waste my time’ look, was probably the most spent of all. Still, he accepted one more day of sacrifice, ordered the flags to signal the reunion of Rear-Admirals and was handed a monocular by his first mate so as to peek out through it at the French port.

The port city of Mahé, protected by its square fort on the southern bank’s hillside, smoked from its warehouses still. The fires set by William burned well and startled the French, flying over walls and rock to hit rooftops and barracks, causing its troops to rapidly come to battlements to defend the city for the remainder of the war. What worried the Portuguese, however, were not the many dignified Frenchmen wielding muskets and coastal cannons at the estuary, but the many powerful warships awaiting battle just outside it.

A shrug from the Vice-Admiral followed, as well as a grunt, the usual signs of incoming difficulties and dangers for the crew. No one was at ease aboard the ship anyway, though; right in front of them, the entirety of Admiral Pierre’s fleet stood, with over 600 heavy guns still ready to fight tooth and nail to destroy them. A windy quietness marked the mood, with the only movement being the ups and downs of the two fleets which stared each other down. Their own 700 guns made the Portuguese feel no less nervous.

“A hard nut to crack, hey, sir? Might need more than a couple of the usual rams and bams.” his first mate, a sailor hailing from Sofala, joked.

“Indeed.” Rebelo confirmed. His voice almost sounded like a code with grunts when he wasn’t yelling out orders. He looked over to his starboard, where the Barracuda sailed by to get in position. “William! Position yourself over the southern approach’s sand banks! Do not engage the enemy without my command, understood?! I want this blockade flawless!” he ordered in English.

The crew all looked over to the leading ship of the 3rd Indian Squadron. The HMS Barracuda and its subordinate ships were a sight to behold, still sporting the battle injuries from its skirmishes as well as last night’s rocket raid. Many holes puckered its hulls, sails and gun doors, not to mention there was a look of sloppiness in the ropes swinging around and the unfurled sails that made the squadron resemble a group of daylight ghost ships. These were the only ships with the rocket portable platforms in the upper decks and, as such, were the only ones that could inflict the most damage on the French fleet’s wide side. If William acted like his usual self, the whole blockade could be broken.

Sailing past the Beira Prince just close enough to hear the Vice-Admiral, Rear Admiral William walked over to the wooden railing of the Barracuda, showing himself to the ‘professionals’. He sported his bicorn, as usual, but also made a point of wearing his old pirate leather coat instead of the navy suit, making a point of showing off the slashes and grazes in him to remind everyone of who he used to be, and what he used to be feared for.

“I don’t think you understand how this works.” William defied. “Usually, when you offer a deal, even to a captured pirate, you’re supposed to guarantee he gets at least a small part of his bargain. Your deal offered that I could operate as I wish in your… navy, and I even bombarded this useless port for all of you, risking my life and limb sailing ahead of your bloated boats, in enemy waters. For two months I fought these ships, alone, with just the few guns you gave me… and now you deny me my sack and blood for diplomacy?”

“Vice-Admiral, the Héros has signaled an acceptance of your offer to parlay.” the first mate notified.

Rebelo saw for himself the banners displayed by the French ship. “That is correct, William. You had your part of the deal fulfilled, and now I expect yours; obedience or the swords of the marines I gave your ships pointed at your throat instead of the enemy.”

The privateer laughed outloud. “I never heard of such mercy, Hammershark, you should be called a Saint.”

“Need I remind you it was the same mercy I offered you in Dili?” asked Rebelo, which seemed to quiet down William’s amusement.

The former pirate somehow had a feeling this would be brought to the table. He had traded his glorious wars against the Chinese pirates for this? “My worthless life isn’t such a good bargaining ship to weigh down the scale, Rebelo, you should know that. I say we open fire on their ships, or better yet rocket the rest of the city and bleed the ones on the ground down. I brought down three of their own with inferior numbers; no reason why we shouldn’t crush them now with an extra ship in our favor!”

There was a general mumble from both crews. Rebelo’s first mate rose an eyebrow. “Hmmm, the bloodthirsty corsair makes a fair argument, wouldn’t you say so, Vice-Admiral?”

“And that’s where it ends, isn’t it, First Mate? It’s just a fair argument.” Hammershark refuted. “William is a fantastic warrior, so he could convince anyone of the best way to destroy a foe right in front of you, but he’s short-sighted for the war in general. It’s what cost him the ‘Alcácer’ and made him run back to Cannanore with his ships nearly sinking and my marines dead...”

Under the obfuscating sun of Indian summer, the First Mate was able to spot from afar the French signaling they were awaiting reunion at their flagship. “A different approach than the Navy, I assume? You offered your hand, sir, and the French seem to be willing to take it. What is your call?”

Rebelo walked over to the railing of his ship, limp leg paining him, so he could personally look William in the eyes as best as he could. “It’s time to holster pistols, William, and treat the matter like gentlemen. Of course, if I am wrong, I’ll gladly hand over command of all my squadrons to you over my corpse.”

The notion itself made the men around Rebelo gasp and whisper slight protests and indignant comments. No man aboard the Beira Prince would accept obedience to the young Barracuda pirate they had once spent years campaigning against.

William rested his arms against his railing. “Nice wager, old fish can, but command over your huge fat ships and resentful men? No thank you, I’ll stay with this one you gave me. She’s a real pretty, especially when she spits fire.” He remarked, patting the wooden surface of the Barracuda. “I’ll just take that pretty medal you got for capturing me, though. Imagine it would be nice to shove it up your dead bum.” He turned to his men. “Alright, you useless mongrels, you heard the authority! Twenty degrees starboard and up ahead, we’re anchoring in line by the shore. So much of a move from those pretty white ships and I want to see holes blasted through them!”

Rebelo shook his head reprehensively. Why were the ugly pleasantries always necessary with this one?

Accompanied by a score of Marines as well as the committee provided by the French, Vice-Admiral Rebelo was welcomed in French inside his enemy’s private cabin. He laid eyes for the first time on Admiral Pierre, an impeccably dressed overweight man with a walking cane but a firm look in his eyes of someone of well exercised ordering about.

“Please, monsieur, sit.” He offered, ordering his man to pour a glass of wine and tapping his table with the cane. “A glass of wine?”

Hammershark declined politely with a head shake. “I would rather stand, admiral. Wound from my days in the army… makes my leg fail me when lowering myself.”

Admiral Pierre took one skeptic look at the navy man’s limb, frowned and eventually nodded. “Very well, fair enough.” He coughed to his hand, as if preparing to speech. “It is not common, monsieur, for me to accept the negotiation of terms with a contemporary of lesser rank, I hope you understand that. Do you think, perhaps, that Lord Louis sent me here to surrender to a… handsomely nicknamed Vice-Admiral?”

“Of course not, Admiral Pierre, but you seem to be misunderstanding something; I did not come here to negotiate.” Hammershark revealed, prompting a sarcastic ‘oh is that so’ look from Pierre “I came here to confront you with what’s an undeniably difficult situation for us both.”

“Confront? Me??”

Rebelo was firm. “Yes.”

Admiral Pierre laughed out loud, sharing glances with his men as well as the ones Rebelo brought over. “At least no one can say the Goans are not audacious. I will remember to report that to my Lord when my ships blast their way through your blockade and I sack your colony coffers! You burn my base with….hellfire during the night,-” Pierre named, still not sure what to call the armed rockets that rained on Mahé the night before “- wage war on me with the help of a disgraced corsair, not dignifying my ships with a proper battle between fleets, and now do you think I will stay still in Mahé just because you outnumber me twelve to ten?... It is only diplomatic courtesy that stops me from gutting you and your marines with cutlasses!”

The Hammershark, however, was no young boy to be scared by threats. He was just as experienced and tempered as the Admiral so he looked past the just revolt the French admiral felt and merely made his case. “I assume then you prefer the alternative of facing me in battle directly when we both know it could end disastrously for both our crowns?”

Pierre squinted, suspicious, but let Rebelo continue.

And Rebelo did. “Right outside stands a good portion of my warships, possessing powerful guns and men experienced from waging war against sailors just as dangerous as your own. As of now, we are fighting a war that cannot be won on land, or otherwise your king would have sent more troops accompanying your trip to meet Tipu. I have no doubt you could defeat me in honorable contest, Admiral, but even if ye should… what matter of war would you wage with your inglorious, damaged fleet against two enemies with much stronger ships waiting by? You could blast me off, capture Goa and burn the Novos Portos to the ground but… both of us know that, by the end of the year, a terrible defeat would await you anyway at the hands of the British. France will be unconditionally cast off from India and your colonial ambitions will never set foot in this region again!” he asserted, firmly but not rudely.

After a short pause pondering this, Pierre rose his chin in contempt. “I am not alone in this war, Hammershark, and you are not the only one with allies in India.” he argued. “Just behind me, to the east, as we speak, Tipu Sultan fights a war against the Calcutta office that has scored many victories thanks to Monsieur Bussy’s weapon cargoes. I think your… young king back in Lisbon heard reports about them?” Pierre asked, accentuating Joseph II’s age as if denoting his lack of experience “You yourselves have a war on your hands, do you not? Is Vice-Roy Frederick faring well against the Marathas? Or have they already crushed through your walls and you are merely here to bluff me into giving away Mahé?”

The hardened Vice-admiral did not answer, merely staring like steel at the Frenchman.

Pierre smiled, sensing weakness in his silence. “The alliance between his Majesty Louis and Tipu Sultan will not fail, I’m afraid. Both Goa and Calcutta will both be defeated, right after I crush your fleet beneath the weight of my own, and Hughes’ insignificant campaign against me will be next, ha, ha, ha.”

Amidst the chuckling of the Admiral, Rebelo signaled the close by Portuguese Marine to hand him the parchment he had brought over, which he then promptly dropped on the Frenchman’s table.

Pierre picked it up. “What is this?!”

“A little document I had copied in Damão, before heading here, namely of the Second Treaty of Satari -” he revealed, allowing Pierre to unroll it, read it, and widen his eyes. “- detailing the terms of peace between Goa, the Maratha Confederacy and the revolting state of the Baroda which we have defeated in battle repeatedly and took land, supplies and wealth! The gulf of Cambay is now under the rule of Portugal! Tell me, Admiral Pierre…. Do you still think the people of Goa are cornered by Bussy’s stratagems?!”

A moment of analysis, processing and shock was allowed to Pierre, who seemingly read the document and the signatures of the Peshwa numerous times. He took letters given to him by Bussy from the Maratha agents and compared insignias and handwriting. As far as he could tell there was no forgery… the Marathas had signed some sort of peace with the Portuguese.

“Goa has defeated the Marathas a second time, monsieur Pierre. I’m afraid you’ll find nothing by Portuguese cannons aimed at you if you sail past my ships to the north. Our ships may not have your élan… but it’s not just the army that marches on its stomach, and the navy’s cannons need gunpowder too.”

Memories of the latest night’s fire assailed Pierre. He thought it strange why the Portuguese targeted small gunpowder depots even though there were more than enough quantities to defeat the Portuguese navy in battle still inside the French ships. “”Your pirate…”

“William merely sent you a message to stress your needs. I am sure Tipu Sultan will be willing to spare supplies for your desired prolonged war… if he does not decide you’re another European that must be expelled from his kingdom at once. I would mention your other possession, Pondicherry, but we both know the English still siege it. Unless you’re willing to fight all the way from your Seychelles base I do not see any sort of victory against the Portuguese that would not condemn you to defeat to the English.”

“… Damn you… Why are you here?! What do you wish to parlay?”

“If you excuse me, monsieur…” the Vice-Admiral then, to the French’s surprise, fought through the pain in his leg to sit at the Admiral’s table. “I will take your previous offer of sitting before you, for now I feel we can treat each other as truly equals. I will also take that wine, if you would be so kind.”

Pierre stared stunned at him for a second, but then signaled his sailor to serve them his favorite brand. “Vice-Admiral… Rebelo, is it? What do you want?”

Once the glasses were full, Hammershark presented his view on things. “My Rear Admiral William would have me blast you all off to oblivion, monsieur. He shares with you a daring sense of offensive maneuvering. I, however, do not.” he pronounced heavily. “I do not wish to sacrifice my men for some… wasteful affair. They worked hard to reach this stalemate and are tired from the fighting in Gujarat. The Portuguese Indian fleet also did not built itself in a day, as I’m sure yours has not. I suggest an alternative.”

After the first sip, Pierre could already guess what Rebelo wanted. “Let me guess; a surrender from me? Your flag hoisted over Mahé?” Pierre chuckled. “You must all be fools if you think I travelled around Africa to brand myself a traitor to la France!”

“The future of French India as a whole will be endangered if you do not sacrifice Mahé itself, monsieur Pierre and besides-”

“A port that would be useless in your hands!” Pierre interrupted “ Your other new possessions, Calecute and Cannanore, already fill out your needs of trade with southern India. But this isn’t about trade anymore, as it used to always be with your nation, is it? I know what kind of man your Vice-Roy is. Frederick seems to think Goa has grown invincible just because a few factories were built and a few outdated laws were repealed. Now he seems to think he can take the entire Indian western coast for himself; I admit this… victory, if it really happened, is encouraging to you all, but this new age… will rip men like him apart.”

“I was actually going to suggest we await the conclusion of the events in Europe. No matter the outcome there, the war here is concluded between France and Portugal, would you say not? It may be true that Mahé might be demanded by Lisbon and Goa, but my offer is for us to wait in peace, without destroying each other’s ships, so you can take off and engage the English at full power.”

Pierre nodded approvingly. “Interesting proposition, Vice-Admiral, I did not realize Portugal held such hard feelings towards its closest and oldest lover.”

The Vice-Admiral shook his head. “The alliance stands, or this war would not have broken out. The English, however, seek to monopolize India, and that is a threat to the colonial possessions I have sworn to protect.” Pierre chuckled at this. “I take it I said something interesting.”

“More interesting than you realize, my dear Vice-Admiral.”

It was Rebelo’s turn to squint, something that made his usually inexpressive face look even harsher. “You must then bring equally interesting news from Europe and America, monsieur Pierre. I’ve heard of the economic troubles your country faces, but perhaps you have something more to add?...”

Pierre scoffed. “The radicals, these revolutionaries in Paris, will pass, like they always do, and so will the famine. The guns that are being built, however… are there to stay. France did not enjoy the outcome of our last war with England. Losing New France has been most alarming to all of my countrymen. Cannons like never fought with before will soon dictate the land. Not even the Prussians know what awaits them… Boston is just the start for the British, soon, they’ll lose many more possessions.”

Rebelo raised a brow in honest intrigue. “So you think the revolutionaries in America will win, but not the ones in your country?”

“Exactly; Britain has overplayed its hand, just like your Vice-Roy, taking as much land as it did. They are slowly losing control of New York, Delaware and beyond. Back home, the kingdoms of Europe now see London as the real threat to stability. You people are their only allies; why do you think this war began? Your young king marrying the eldest daughter of Europe’s great aggressive nation? You might as well have fought against all of us yourselves in Prussia and America. France, however, has nothing but the hunger for revenge to feel! What revolutionary will take that from us?”

The Vice-admiral pondered the man’s words, spinning his wine glass before drinking from it. “My people know a thing or two about dictatorship and revolutionaries… especially as of recently.”

Pierre raised his chin, reminded of the latest events. “That’s right, you are. I’ve heard Pombal is on his deathbed, however. Good riddance, the man was a barbarian.”

“When I was a child my family’s vineyard land was encroached by Pombal’s mercantilist companies, but I was too young to attach myself to those fields, so my opinion of the Prime Minister has never been too negative.

The French Admiral then chuckled lowly. “But I’ve heard… your people welcomed your revolutionaries, is that not right?”

“I was away from home when most of it happened, fighting in Cisplatina and beyond, so I cannot give you first-hand accounts, monsieur Pierre.” Rebelo clarified. “I can say one thing about the men that signed the Tagus Declaration, though; they were smart about their revolution. In your own words I would say they played their cards well.”

“Oh, is that so? How did you conclude that?”

Hammershark gave Pierre his typical staunch expression that earned him his nickname. “They’re still alive, are they not?”

Admiral Pierre laughed and raised a toast. “HA, HA, HA! That is true. Then to peace, Vice-Admiral!”

Rebelo staid stoic, as always, but rose his glass nonetheless. “To peace.”