Rearm the British Infantry for WWII

On the Covenanter, it is potentially salvageable so it's at least barely adequate for a year or two.
Hear me out.

One of my biggest pet projects given this POD is start the 6 pounder development in 36 rather than 38. If the 6 pounder is ready or just about to be ready when tanks like the Covenanter and Crusader are starting development means they are likely to be designed with that gun in mind.
That means two things
  1. The tanks will be designed to fit the 6 pounder from the start so the turrets will be larger so no cramming it in.
  2. When looking at that gun things like heavier armour will look a lot more attractive so will likely be included in the design.
These points mean that tanks designed with them in mind will be larger and heavier. That means improved suspension and better engines (hopefully) so as the production issues that affected it as well as the design issues wont appear or wont be as problematic.
With a larger tank you can hopefully fit the cooling system in a better place if you keep the same engine, or fit a bigger more powerful engine. Having (hopefully) designed for thicker armour means their wont be a last minute increase in armour thickness. Designing for a heavier tank means that when it is rivetted and the wheels made of steel it will be better able to take those changes. A (hopefully) larger turret means more space for the crew.

So you hopefully end up with a useable ,if not brilliant Covenanter and a pretty good Crusader. Hopefully.
Design an actual 2lb HE shell. The UK really needed this in the years up to 1942.

As PLP mentioned the 6 pounder was delayed by Dunkirk meaning its service life was effectively halved as a tank gun. Add to that you have a lot of lend lease tanks with US 75mm guns and plenty of that Ammo going to the British so standardising on it makes sense. Even then it was less effective at knocking out tanks and was only used as a tank gun.
The main benefit of going for a 6 pounder is that it is also a very good AT gun. As an AT gun the 6 pounder was used right until the end of the war, that's a capability you don't want to loose. A 3" gun will do the job as well yes but will be a lot larger, heavier and more cumbersome. That being said in another thread someone mentioned the Vickers 75mm AA gun as a good tank gun and I kind of agree.
Get working on the 6 pounder and get it in a tank fast. If that tank can take the 75 then do it, if not make a bigger tank.
Truthfully, I would like a 6pdr from the beginning. The Soviets had the 57mm and rejected and then re-adopted it.

The downside is cost. With a finite budget and industrial base, every jump in size is less weapons. In the constant battle of gun vs armour, whatever you develop, the other guy will react. And the bigger and better, the fewer. The Germans fell into that trap with the big cat tanks.

Penetrating the front of tanks, is not the be all of AT guns. The 6pdr lived on because it could still penetrate the sides of the big cats. Taking on tanks frontally is generally suicide. Overwatch will quickly dispatch AT guns with HE /MG fire.

AT defence is channeling and ambush. The 25mm with 40mm/0*, will take out any light and side of medium in ‘39. (And Japanese and Italian tanks through the whole war). Cheap and cheerful! Enough for infantry defence to stop tanks rampaging through infantry positions.

Ideally, div AT Regts have 6pdrs, but even if you start 34, it takes 3 x as long to produce the bigger gun. Hence 3 pdr. And 6 pdr won’t fit in Valentine turret, etc, with loading crew member. 2 man turret is counter productive.

Last edited:
They had one. Why should they repeat the effort to design one when they already had one?
IIRC the HE content was equivalent in weight to a hand grenade.

HE direct fire is not really British doctrine, which is to use large volumes of 25 pdr HE and MMG fire to suppress defences until the infantry get in close. Lessons learned from WW1 that it it is difficult to kill dug-in infantry with HE, and that dug-in infantry are hard to spot at a distance.

IIRC the HE content was equivalent in weight to a hand grenade.

HE direct fire is not really British doctrine, which is to use large volumes of 25 pdr HE and MMG fire to suppress defences until the infantry get in close. Lessons learned from WW1 that it it is difficult to kill dug-in infantry with HE, and that dug-in infantry are hard to spot at a distance.

Still doesn't deny they had one. The 2 Pdr, had a HE round early on from it's deployment. HE direct fire was actually very much a part of British "battle ethos" (they didn't have a "doctrine" per se until 1989). It was where their artillery developed their use of indirect HE from, after direct fire exposed the guns and gunners too much to enemy fire. 25 Pdr was never designed to "kill dug in infantry". It was designed to suppress them and prevent them from manning the parapets of their position. The British developed an ethos of "suppression" to allow their own infantry to approach the enemy's position.

Last edited:
what calibre do you want to go with.
  • The first is stick with .303, not a bad choice, yes the rim is an issue but it works and is the cheapest solution.
  • Second is 7.5mm French, your primary early war ally will be using the same ammo as you so that's good, but they don't last long so that's bad.
  • Third is 8MM Mauser, its available and you can use captured enemy stocks if needed but you run the risk of getting weapons designed that help the enemy, more on that later. Also the conversion of older weapons is going to be costly
  • Fourth is 7.65 Belgian Mauser, its very similar to .303 but no rim so minimal changes are needed and could possibly use .303 barrels or you could switch the round to the .303 bullet but that could lead to issues.
  • Fifth is 30-06, again its available and has the advantage of giving you weapons like the M1919 that can be used in tanks etc as well as being used by your eventual main ally and source of weapons. The conversion process would be costly though.
  • Sixth is to design a new round, costly and time consuming. Does have the advantage of being able to get an intermediate round though for semi auto or assault rifles.
Maybe I'm being simple-minded, & I'm by no means expert on the intricacies. However, can I propose a seventh? (Or maybe a 5b?)

Namely, keep as much of the existing equipment for rifle and ammunition manufacturing intact, & introduce a rimless .303: in essence, a .303-'06 (using the .30-'06 case?). The .30-'06 case is extremely amenable to this kind of wildcatting, & tooling for manufacturing the cases is readily available commercially (if HMG won't buy commercial cases, which is another option, at least at first).

Maybe I'm being simple-minded, & I'm by no means expert on the intricacies. However, can I propose a seventh? (Or maybe a 5b?)

Namely, keep as much of the existing equipment for rifle and ammunition manufacturing intact, & introduce a rimless .303: in essence, a .303-'06 (using the .30-'06 case?). The .30-'06 case is extremely amenable to this kind of wildcatting, & tooling for manufacturing the cases is readily available commercially (if HMG won't buy commercial cases, which is another option, at least at first).

That kind of gets you the worst of both worlds. If you want rimless .303 you are looking at 7.65 Belgian Mauser realistically. Basically the same dimensions minus the rim, 30-06 is quite a bit longer meaning the receiver needs to be lengthened.

If you want a new round you don't basically keep your current one in a different case.
The idea behind adopting an existing cartridge is you can make use of the already established support network and weapons for that cartridge.
If you want a new cartridge you are doing it for specific reasons, such as going for an intermediate cartridge.
The problem with adopting any new cartridge is you need to retool completely as well as design new weapons. You do however get something more modern and suitable for the coming war. Mashing together 2 existing cartridges is a new cartridge and gives you all those new cartridge issues whilst being old fashioned still.
I get the Idea and it is sort of sound but has too many downsides to be a viable option.

Either
  1. keep what you have and make it work.
  2. Adopt something already existing so you have it's weapons and support ready to go meaning less development costs.
  3. Design a new cartridge from scratch so you get exactly what you want/need and eat the development costs as well as needing all new weapons.

I'm temped to say do that in the 30's using the 3.7" mountain Howitzer and issue a battery to each infantry battalion for direct infantry fire support,
The Birch gun ...QF 18-pounder gun
With hindsight a 18pdr/25pdr Stug/SPG is far better for the British army, than any mountain gun if you want to fight in Europe?

An early SU76 should be easy to build off the MK4 light parts?
1601482299509.png

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
That kind of gets you the worst of both worlds. If you want rimless .303 you are looking at 7.65 Belgian Mauser realistically. Basically the same dimensions minus the rim, 30-06 is quite a bit longer meaning the receiver needs to be lengthened
Or the 1920s Savage 300, near 30-06 in power for their Model 99 levergun, but shorter to fit that action. 150 grain bullet at 2630fps.
Was the parent case for 308 NATO.
Here, you use the British .312 bullets, and get near identical ballistics to 303 Rimmed.

I'm temped to say do that in the 30's using the 3.7" mountain Howitzer and issue a battery to each infantry battalion for direct infantry fire support,

They did have 3.7” mountain bty in each infantry brigade until ‘38. It was in many ways a dilution of concentrated firepower.

RA preferred the centralisation of artillery controlled at the lowest level, commanded at the highest.

25 pdr and 5.5” were both Gun-howitzers. Hybrid weapons with variable charge. In the unwritten doctrine of semi-direct and indirect fire.

18 pdr was a “gun” with fixed charge, rapid fire and modest velocity. Not the weapon for Anti-armour.

If you want a good AT gun, AA guns are the choice.

The 25mm was really portable, the 2 pdr AT carriage was huge and complex. The 25mm Hotchkiss was 700 pounds lighter than the 2 pdr.

Cheaper, too. Quantity has a quality of its own, after all.
I also seem to recall reading accounts that the French had tungsten cored 25mm ammuniton.

But able to knock out any German Tank until the Tiger shows up
With only 600 in the system, and it’s the only artillery the TA has, I would not be wasting it on AT work.

A better option is adapt a smaller, more concealable gun. If you’re not satisfied with 3 pdr, the other option is the 6pdr 10cwt naval gun. It is production in 34, and only needs a carriage, so allow for a year to get that produced.

It will have flatter trajectory, less lead and higher hit probably. APC will do anything an 18 pdr will penetrate. SAP will totally ream out any light tank or bunker. A long thin walled lobbed HE be about 9lb, and create lots of fine fragments, much better for APRES work.

Fitted to tanks (it should fit?), you have a reasonable multi-purpose gun, quickly. Not quite as good as the 6pdr army, but ready in time

I also seem to recall reading accounts that the French had tungsten cored 25mm ammuniton.
P - Cartridge model 1934 with perforating bullet
To differentiate it from other projectiles, the bullet P is blackened to a height of 25 mm.

Brass flange socket mle 34, primer holder type F mle 1933 from 14/18
Load: approx. 140g of H 25 powder, higher load than that of the 25mm cartridge of the field weapon
High performance tungsten steel ball, brass jacket topped with a lead cap
Caliber 25 mm
Projectile weight 0.32 Kg
Initial speed 918 m / s
Armor penetration: 40 mm at 400 m

3B1DC767-C2FB-4B14-A1DC-94EADC49ECBC.jpeg