Real history question: How many captured rebels did Britain execute in the period from 1725 to 1833?

How many free, white, Christian rebels did Britain execute for most of the 18th century and early 19th century?

what examples are there in this period of rebels who ended up in government custody rather than fled or killed in combat?

how many death sentences were handed down for political crimes in general, including treason and sedition in the UK?

The main rebellion I can think of is the Irish one of 1798.

Were defeated rebel combatants and leaders in that exiled, summarily executed, judicially executed, imprisoned, paroled, what?

I'm looking for if we have any real life examples that back up the alternate history certitude that the American rebel leaders would have been hung if defeated and captured by the British.

Does the mass death of captured rebels due to horrific conditions while imprisoned count? If so, the numbers from the American Revolution are quite high, with deaths aboard British prison hulks far exceeding battlefield losses for the Patriots. The percentage that died ranges from being comparable to that of American POWs in Japanese hands during WW2, to around 50%, if you accept the high end estimates.

Does the mass death of captured rebels due to horrific conditions while imprisoned count? If so, the numbers from the American Revolution are quite high, with deaths aboard British prison hulks far exceeding battlefield losses for the Patriots. The percentage that died ranges from being comparable to that of American POWs in Japanese hands during WW2, to around 50%, if you accept the high end estimates.

Who were the highest ranking personnel held in prison hulks? Not that enlisted personnel and junior officers don't matter. Any captured Congressmen, Colonels or Generals?

To be honest not a uniquely British issue. If you were to research the historical conditions and death rate of POWs its one of those things that doesn't really look good for anyone.
(For the era if only half of an army, regardless of its status, condition and location, dies of disease and malnutrition then it should probably be considered getting off lightly. Such losses always vastly exceeded battlefield casualties.)

Last edited:
Who were the highest ranking personnel held in prison hulks? Not that enlisted personnel and junior officers don't matter. Any captured Congressmen, Colonels or Generals?
Generally during the American Revolution, when a high-ranking officer or official was captured, they would be paroled, allowing them to go home until properly exchanged. Occasionally though parole would not be given, and a high ranking leader would spend time in a prison ship, like Ethan Allen or Christopher Gadsden.

The British would have happily exchanged prisoners, as was the norm in 18th century warfare, had the Americans not treacherously reneged on the Convention of Saratoga, so if you want to blame anyone for these deaths it should be Congress.

While I have no numbers I’d think tens of thousands, though many of those would be killed on the field of battle - surrenders not taken. I’m thinking primarily of the Jacobite risings of 1715 and 1745 and the Irish risings of (1795? and) 1798. Those prisoners taken were enslaved or executed, foreign soldiers butchered, and leaders themselves publically drawn and quartered (as class traitors given they tended to be aristocrats or gentry). I understand the West Indies took many Scots after 1645, 1685, 1690, 1716 and 1746. I recall as an example that the entire garrison of Carlisle, over 1000 English jacobites abandoned by the main army, surrendered and were executed. By the end of the 1700s transportation to Australia was available as the alternative to execution or slow death in the ‘Hulks’.

From that I’d be confident that the Congressional Congress and officers of the Continental Army would have been executed once the ‘rebellion’ was quashed and the enlisted men likely divided between branding and being sent to the West Indies. Militating against such actions against the common soldier would be concern at the loss of white-men-colonists (a concern of limited value given maybe 100, 000 men would be involved out of a population of 3 or 4 million) and that, given negro chattel slavery was a going concern and well-developed, it would be dangerous to have white Men enslaved alongside black men (it negates the necessary concept of white as master and black as inferior servant).

I think in practice the main method of eliminating rebels was to kill them quickly, on the battlefield either during or just after battle, or by imprisoning them in the hulks pending trial, during which most died.

The main qualifier seems to me to have been whether the rebellion was destroyed quickly, in which case the rebels were killed en masse, or whether the Crown had difficulty, in which case matters went to trial. As there seems to have rarely been significant battlefield victories and no political victory in the Revolutionary War the widespread massacre or trial of rebels does not seem to have occurred. Instead prisoners were released on parole or imprisoned in the hulks pending peace or exchange. I think the best signposts to a Revolutionary War outcome would be the British victories at Bunker Hill and Charleston. In the former hundreds of rebels were bayoneted rather than captured and the American commanders bodies were mutilated and smashed. In the latter a rebel army was destroyed and forced to surrender. I might be wrong but I think many of them were killed, the leaders imprisoned pending treason trial once the rebellion was crushed, and the survivors imprisoned with a view to their death being of no consequence if it occurred. I am open to the likelihood that better treatment occurred either due to the alliance with European powers or that it was viewed by Parliament as a limited war to reconcile Englishmen to their crown.

I still think, based on the treatment of the Jacobites and Irish that, if the Rebels had been smashed in 1777, the officers and landowners would have been hung for treason and attainted and the enlisted men, being only 25 or 50 thousand, killed on the battlefield or shortly thereafter, with a repeat of Judge Jeffrey’s Bloody Assizes. After all that is what happened in Ireland in later, more modern, times, as well as in Russian Poland, the French Vendee, Spanish Americas, Spano-Mexican Texas (the 1813 filibuster), British India (1857 Sepoy mutiny), etc.

The only British bloodiness against white rebels or alleged rebels in the era I know of is the massacre of the clans at Culloden for being late to surrender, and the Peterloo massacre. I'm not very informed on the details of combat death and the fate of prisoners and ringleaders for Wolfe Tone's uprising of 1798.

I know that the British expelled the Acadians after a period of guerrilla warfare. Did they execute a bunch of Acadian leaders and PoWs too before the expulsion?

The prison ships in the American revolution, I suppose while not a formal execution, with the rates of death involved, could count.

I believe there were executions as well after the Jacobite Rising of 1745 and the United Irishmen Rebellion of 1798

Last edited: