Reagan in Casablanca

Although some of the articles I have read differ on whether Reagan was actually considered for the role of Rick Blaine in Casablanca, the rumor offers ample room for speculation. Like the film made Humphrey Bogart's career, Casablanca could have solidified his struggling career in Hollywood. Sure, Reagan may very well have flirted with politics. But Reagan would have been well on his way to become a great star, getting more substantial parts.

This opens up new questions:

What would have happened to Humphrey Bogart?

Would Goldwater have received a Reagan endorsement?

How would the presidency, with all the butterflies, be affected.

I might use some of the discussion to create a timeliness, so speak up.

It would have helped his career. While it would not be quite the classic without Bogey, it would have still have been a good movie and very popular. The problem for Reagan is that following its release he is gone from Hollywood for three years. If somehow he could coast on a three year old movie and get good parts, he does not have as much time for SAG or politics. He opinions would probably go through the same evolution. He would have time to do a speech for Barry Goldwater but would turn down offers to run for governor. I think in 1980 George HW Bush would win the election. He would pursue the same policies as Reagan except for being more diplomatic with the Soviets. Possibly an earlier arms control treaty is the only real change. Oh yes, in 1989 President Dole compromises with Congress a year earlier than Bush did OTL.

Remember that Casablanca was one of the fifty or so films that company had to put that year to fulfil their contract. Most people involved in making it just considered it another assembly line flick, and it's quite possible that Casablanca sinks without a trace ITTL.

Remember that Casablanca was one of the fifty or so films that company had to put that year to fulfil their contract. Most people involved in making it just considered it another assembly line flick, and it's quite possible that Casablanca sinks without a trace ITTL.
This is what happens.

For the official record, the "rumour" about Reagan (and Sheridan) starring in Casablanca was specifically planted by Warner Bros., as a publicity stunt for their-then upcoming film, Kings Row. Apparently this was standard operating practice at the time.

But I agree with the general consensus. Casablanca was such a delicate balance of factors - I've heard it described as "alchemy", and I won't disagree - that any change from OTL would have a negative result, and replacing Bogart and Bergman would be catastrophic. We're looking at a mostly-forgotten, run-of-the-mill, WWII-era propaganda picture.

As for Bogie's career, tough call. He was a rising star before Casablanca, but that was the movie that put him over the top, and cemented his screen persona - most of his roles thereafter were essentially variations on Rick Blaine. A quick-and-easy butterfly is casting someone else in *To Have and Have Not, preventing the Bogart/Bacall romance and sparing TTL the fate of this incredibly overrated sycophant coasting on her dead husband's legacy for the past half-century (yeah, not a fan of hers).

And Reagan? His turn in Casablanca will probably be remembered as one of the better ones of his career ITTL, alongside Knute Rockne and Kings Row, but I don't see his Hollywood career having legs. But he'll remain politically outspoken, as many actors are, whether or not he switches sides and/or runs for public office.

Ronald Reagan as Rick in Casablanca (
multipage.gif
1 2)
pretty thoroughly debunks the rumor, IIRC.