Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Is there a thread for alternate political insignia or anything like that? Like, say... on a scale from 'could fit here' to 'not a chance': Napoleon-style Cockades, Nazi-Style Armbands, Komsomol-Style Badges, or Olympics-style Tat Pins. Those sorts of things. If not, or if I would need to necro, I'll set one up. Perhaps several, since what I listed is quite diverse... mind, if we do indeed lack one I doubt there would be enough content coming in to warrant multiple. Thoughts?

my opinion but pretty much anything that qualify as "standardised clothings", even folk costume, could fit here.

to go with the alliance officer insignias I posted earlier.
table_nco6_by_marcpasquin-d7xkae2.jpg

bit of background as to why they would have one ATL as opposed to OTL ?

EDIT: to be more precise, do they have a bigger population, did they chose to adopt a form of "armed neutrality" during the cold war, are they a puppet state of someone else, etc....

Either the 19th century Icelandic Army continues or the reserve force created during WW2 doesn't get shut down by Britain.

Military of Iceland

Hi everybody, long time no read.

I have a request, because I'm currently trying to do something with the Tounushi models and it keeps turning out like crap: If somebody could make a waistcoat, that'd be brill :D

(Basically, I'm designing a form of Quaker plain dress, but sort of less plain and more Victorian-Edwardian)

Did a thing. Uses my own base like the others. Now, this isn't historical. It's also not allohistorical. Instead, you could call it future history, as I shall be producing these to be worn by my... I guess club is an applicable word. All colours are accurate save the green; literally every member voted differently there, so I'm just using a random colour until majority is established. The boots are just representative; most of us will wear our normal shoes early on because I can't afford to pay an additional 80+ USD a head and it's pretty difficult to find anything which ranges from the American size 4 to 15... The stuff on the right isn't exactly to scale to preserve my sanity. Top down left right, it's the button for the inner coat, the button for the outer coat, the cockade for the hat, the armpatch, an epaulet, the button for the trousers, and a petlitsa. On the left, we have the three layers of the uniform. If you're wondering about the Kanji on the outermost coat and the Sütterlinschrift on the patch, they say 'Haruto' and 'Ivan Ivanov'. The actual ones will have the member's name in those places instead.

Yes, I will post pictures on the how do you look thread with a few others when they're done and post links here. Feel free to ask any question you might have, I guess.

bits2.png

Hapsburg

Banned
The personal uniforms of General Xander Vox, of the paramilitary Ministry of State Security. Appointed to lead the Personal Protection Department in 3270, Xander spearheaded the 'slim and dark' style that has characterized the attire of most branches of State Sec. While the standard in his department has been a solid black 'office cut' suit with wide lapels and tie, Vox himself has preferred a slim 'Nehru jacket' with a Mandarin collar.

For parades and other formal occasions, he typically wears the standard parade dress for the PPD, adorned with his awards and decorations. In addition, Vox possesses a personal suit of armour, an all-black 'Longinus' model powered combat suit. Unlike most general officers in the higher echelons of the security apparatus, Vox has field duties as well as administrative ones. He is the personal bodyguard of Dictator Maximilian, and Chief of the Capital Police--he maintains a police uniform as well, for official duties in this capacity.

Xander Nephilim Vox.png

Last edited:

Hapsburg

Banned
Variant of the standard Marine service uniform, as worn by Josephine Madeleine Céleste Beaumont (born 29 April 3240), Chief Marshal in the Central Galactic Marines and Chairperson of the Joint Military Staff. Beaumont served in the Imperial Marines during the early years of the Great War as the commander of the legendary special forces unit "Beaumont's Raiders". In 3270, she was promoted to General rank and gained an appointment as Personal Aide-de-Camp to the Emperor. In the reorganization of the victorious Terran nations into the Central Galactic Union, Beaumont retained a leading advisory role and became the first Chairperson of the Joint Staff.
As a reminder of her roots, Beaumont wears the traditional women's version of the Marine officer's uniform, with a knee-length skirt in place of trousers and a tunic cut to accentuate a slimmed figure. Beaumont received extensive cybernetic replacement over the course of her life, initially to correct a congenital defect but later to mend grievous injuries received in the line of duty. She had 90% of her body replaced with cyberized prosthetics in early 3268 and permanently has the appearance of a 30-year old athletic woman with pixie-cut blonde hair.
Her uniform has a few personalized features. The skirt has a stripe along the slit-side in the General Staff service colour, the cuffs bear Navy-style general insignia comparable to a Chief Admiral, and her shoulder boards and collar tabs are in an Army style. This was done deliberately, to show an 'inter-service' array of symbols.

Celeste Beaumont.png

Hapsburg

Banned
Bump. Also, I'm on a roll with these "character" depictions via Tounishi's uniform templates. Hats off to Milosh Andrich for the fantastic idea of adding faces to the blank mannequins.

Anyway. This is Staff Sergeant Edward Malcolm Pepper, commander and NCO of the famed "Lonely Hearts squad" of the 505th Dragoons Battalion, 12th Guards Cavalry Division. Pepper, a ten-year career soldier, led his elite armoured infantry unit through police actions in the Banat Province of the Terran Empire--also known as "Space Mexico"--and subsequently in the opening years of the great war. While the Lonely Hearts squad is more famed for its inclusion of Lord William McGrady, it had no shortage of brave and valiant fighters. Pepper guided them through both pitched battles and anti-partisan combat, until the squad's tragic decimation during the Battle of Khoz in 3267. However, the squad was vital in winning the battle, re-establishing communications between two brigades and leading the assault on an enemy fortification. Pepper himself died in the battle--the public story is that he was killed in action, but in truth he committed suicide due to the overwhelming guilt of executing a fellow squadmate. Two other soldiers of the Lonely Hearts died in battle: combat medic Corporal Richard O'Toole and combat robot Corporal Jayne Rossum.

Sergeant Pepper, depicted at left, displays the typical military uniform of the Great War era soldier: a single-piece combat jumpsuit, zipped to the neck with the collar folded up in the Mandarin style; and the M1 Combat Tunic over it, providing an added layer of protection from the elements. He wears no exterior armour plating, eschewing protection from gunfire and shrapnel in favour of mobility and speed. He bears two insignia: the arm patches of his rank, and a red heart-shaped pin representing the squad. Pepper had them custom-made for each of his fellow squadmates, a sign of their close-knit bond forged in combat. His uniform is a bit scuffed and scratched from wear and tear, and the rugged Sergeant is in need of a good shave after months in the trenches.
By contrast, infantry and armoured troops of the interwar and Magellanic War period are more like to bear heavy combat armour, and fewer layers of clothing.

Depicted at centre is Pepper in the Army parade dress uniform, with Cavalry piping. At the right is Pepper in special Cavalry parade dress unique to his station: armoured infantry units attached to Cavalry brigades and divisions are entitled to dress and be referred to as Dragoons.

Edward Malcolm Pepper.png

Last edited:
In preparation for finally getting DA:I, I decided to kill some Sunday time making this. This is what happens in my strange, strange mind when I watch World at War too soon after playing computer games. Still a work in progress.

Queen-consort Natalia Cousland, Arlessa of Amaranthine, Marshal of the Gray (and the first Warden I finally completed Origins with), in the turret of a command tank during the Amaranthine crisis. She wears the jacket of a Fereldan Warden officer over the brown regular Fereldan Royal Army uniform.

cousland.png

Last edited:
So, I have a few questions regarding ~WWI body armour:
a) is there any sense in armouring the limbs?
b) could it fit under a great coat?

So, I have a few questions regarding ~WWI body armour:
a) is there any sense in armouring the limbs?
b) could it fit under a great coat?

Probably the biggest constraint with WW1 body armour was that nobody really knew what they were doing. Arm armour adds a lot of weight and makes wearing the armour ungainly, as well as making firing a gun much more tiring due to having to lift the weight essentially to shoulder height each time you want to shoot. I don't know if it'd fit under a greatcoat, but I imagine it would be worn outside it for warmth. Perhaps take a look at the body armour the Soviets used in WW2, as that seems to be an evolutionary step from the WW1 gear.