Rank Insignia and Uniforms Thread

Hapsburg

Banned
Is it based on a real world style?
Yes, actually. The shirts underneath the jackets of the USMC uniforms do that. IDK why it's creased that way, but I have seen it.

Does anyone have naval uniform templates? I'm looking for the classical 20th century sailor type.
No, but I am cooking up uniforms for the Central Galactic Navy. The oceanic branch of which are strongly based on traditional 20th century sailor garb. Which looked pretty much the same across national lines, what with the reefer jackets and greatcoats and stand-collar tunics.

No, but I am cooking up uniforms for the Central Galactic Navy. The oceanic branch of which are strongly based on traditional 20th century sailor garb. Which looked pretty much the same across national lines, what with the reefer jackets and greatcoats and stand-collar tunics.

I'd love to use it as a template when you're finished, if it's alright. You make some great unis.

other_ss_link_by_beedok-d7re2mp.png

Hylian SS. :p

Someone on a different forum had asked what a catalonian armed force might look like if it declared independence tomorrow.

The uniform and insignias are an extension of those used by the mossos d'esquadra (catalan regional police) as it has a long existence as a defence force in the region (since the 18th century) and as the beret is based on a traditional one.

The insignia table has the same number of ranks as the spanish armed forces for ease of transition the only missing being Captain General which is currently used only by the King.

catalonia-insignias.jpg

Hapsburg

Banned
I'd love to use it as a template when you're finished, if it's alright. You make some great unis.
Here's the Spacy ones, provisionally. Though my uniforms are largely modifications of existing base ones. The base uniforms and mannequins are made by Tounushi and his disciples, Tounushifan and TheFalconette.

Anywho, these are the uniforms of the Central Galactic Navy's space branch, colloquially called the Spacy. The space forces utilize very practical, understated uniform designs inspired by a blend of Air Force and oceanic Navy uniforms. They are as follows:
Working Uniform, for general service and working wear while onboard spacecraft. Following space naval traditions, it combines service dress and working uniform into one item. Consists of a button-up shirt with sleeves rolled up and cargo trousers. Headwear is a simple cap with branch of service indicated by a coloured brim.
Combat Uniform, virtually identical to the Marine combat uniform. Worn by Naval Infantry and other naval security personnel while on craft.
Dress Uniform, in various kinds. Enlisted personnel wear either an all-black service dress with a stand collar or a white full-dress reefer jacket; in both cases, black trousers are worn. For officers and admirals, the options expand to include all-black reefer service dress and full-dress white.

CGU Spacy Uniforms.png

Hapsburg

Banned
To follow up, here's the sea navy stuff.
The oceanic branch of the Central Galactic Navy is tasked with defence of the seas, rivers, and coasts of the Republic's many worlds. The Spacy descends ultimately from the sea navy, developing out of the ancient Terran naval aviation program and its interests in space warfare and deployment. Over the course of a thousand years, the Spacy developed into virtually its own branch of service but it retains a great degree of naval traditions. All of which began at sea.
Navy uniforms are as follows, for enlisted rates and officers:
Navy Service Uniform, a khaki short-sleeve dress shirt with khaki trousers. Rates wear a baseball cap, officers and admirals wear a peaked cap. It is used as a year-round service uniform for wear while on ships and at port.
Navy Working Uniform, used when in combat situations or where the service uniform would get unduly soiled or dirty. Identical in design to the Space and Marine single-piece jumpsuits.
Service Dress Blue uniform, primarily for wear while in port but also used on ships in moderate weather conditions. Consists of a blue reefer jacket
Service Dress Khaki uniform, used as an equivalent for the blue service dress. Primarily seen in tropical environs. Consists of a khaki field blouse and trousers, khaki shirt, and black necktie.
Dress Uniform, consisting of a blue "crackerjack" uniform for enlisted rates, and a white reefer jacket for officers and admirals.
Full Dress, which for enlisted rates is a white "crackerjack" uniform. For officers and admirals, it consists of a white dress tunic with stand collar.

CGU Navy Uniforms.png

To follow up, here's the sea navy stuff.
The oceanic branch of the Central Galactic Navy is tasked with defence of the seas, rivers, and coasts of the Republic's many worlds. The Spacy descends ultimately from the sea navy, developing out of the ancient Terran naval aviation program and its interests in space warfare and deployment. Over the course of a thousand years, the Spacy developed into virtually its own branch of service but it retains a great degree of naval traditions. All of which began at sea.

Very nice. If I could make one comment, due to the colours you've used it looks as though the zippers in the Working uniform are bright gold, the same as the sleeve insignia and braiding - I wonder if in practice they would be a duller colour or a greyish metal colour.

Hapsburg

Banned
I wonder if in practice they would be a duller colour or a greyish metal colour.
They could be, but it'd be a custom version. The standard is bright golden/metallic yellow. The Navy's a bit more garish than the Army. Because the servicemembers don't have to blend into anything...they're on a boat.
Exception being Naval Infantry and Naval Special Forces.

Took a picture of my tat shelf and made it into an avatar for another forum. Felt like posting it on AH because reasons, and here is where it seems the most relevant. It would be a new variant of Soviet cockade I guess, probably just a run of the mill Dembel one. Well, the centrepiece couldn't have been made using pieces available IOTL, so perhaps not. It says 'Oneven' in Sütterlin underneath, which is one of my more common user handles.

imagine2.png

Took a picture of my tat shelf and made it into an avatar for another forum. Felt like posting it on AH because reasons, and here is where it seems the most relevant. It would be a new variant of Soviet cockade I guess, probably just a run of the mill Dembel one. Well, the centrepiece couldn't have been made using pieces available IOTL, so perhaps not. It says 'Oneven' in Sütterlin underneath, which is one of my more common user handles.

Isn't the top bit the emblem of soviet era Aeroflot ?

It is, and it is. I have a small pile of Aeroflot pins for epaulettes- and several Aeroflot epaulettes dating back as far as the 50s.

Hapsburg

Banned
Uniforms of the Security Forces of the Ministry of State Security. The Security Forces are a "second army" under the operational command of the Field Operations Agency, headed since its establishment by General William J. McGrady. State Sec was originally formed from the agglomeration of various national security and intelligence agencies during the Great War, as the Imperial State Security Department of the Ministry of the Interior. These agencies were thoroughly infiltrated by the security apparatus of the National Humanist Imperial Labour Party, the dominant political organization in the wartime Terran Empire. After the war, however, the party was deemed no longer necessary to further the ideology and was legally abolished. The alignment of party and state was, by that point, completely thorough.

In the aftermath of the war, the ISSD was separated as its own government ministry and greatly expanded by subsuming all national police and investigation bureaus. The Field Operations Agency was largely the continuation of the Imperial Strategic Intelligence Agency, responsible for special activities on foreign soil and wartime intelligence-gathering.
The Security Forces, under General McGrady, have grown to be a comprehensive force of border guards, shock troops, military police, anti-partisan and anti-terrorist units, and political commissars. Their greatest duty is to maintain political discipline among military units and keep order in occupied territories.

Their uniforms are primarily a mouse-grey colour, cut similarly as Army uniforms. The lapels are wider and more pointed, however, and breeches are standard rather than trousers to make for a more imposing figure. The uniforms are as follows:
Service Dress, used for walking out and semi-formal occasions.
Field Dress, used for on-base and garrison duty.
Combat Uniform, directly based on the Army model of utility uniforms.
Summer Dress, a form of warm-weather service dress that can also be used as full dress.
Parade Dress, used for formal occasions and parades. This is a departure from the standard uniform colours in that it conforms to an intimidating, all-black aesthetic.
The uniforms come in different cuts for Enlisted and Officers. Generals usually have the same as officers. The main difference is the fineness of the cut and the colour of the dress shirt: brown for enlisted, white for officers.

CGU Waffen-SG Uniforms.png

Last edited:
A number of countries used the same system of rank insignias for all 3 armed forces services (and some of the civilian ones too) with sometime only slight design or colour differences.

The UK however uses 2 systems for it's army and navy that are completely different with the airforce being a mixture of both.

As a thought exercise, I tried to imagine what kind of system would have evolved in the UK if the insignias of the Royal Navy, as the senior service, had served as a the basis for all other organisation in the UK.

A further thought that occured to me though, since the navy has very few enlisted rank compared to the army, was that using only stripes, straight, angled or looped, would make the system even more consistent.

The table below uses the army as a demonstration but you can see at the bottom the equivalent of the rank of major in other organisations.

alt-uk-bars.jpg