Rambo II happens in 1980's.Effects on USA

Suppose its revealed either through a revelation on the news or POW's from Vietnam actually returning to the USA somehow. What would the reaction be in Washington?

What exactly is it that is "revealed" in your scenario? The continued jailing of POWs by the Vietnamese into the 1980s? Or some gung-ho freelancer going over to rescue them?

The latter event is what actually distinguishes the plot of Rambo II from most other speculation about imprisoned POWs, so that's why I ask.

Anyway, assuming we're just talking about the revelation of surviving POWs...

It's gonna depend on how exactly the revelations come about. If the Vietnamese themselves reveal it, we can assume it's because they officially regret keeping the POWs, and are hoping to "start afresh" with US relations.

In that case, the Vietnamese would make the announcement fully expecting the USA to be beaucoup cheezed off, and would either invite or allow a contingent of American bigwigs(including a lot of hawks and vets) to come over, with permission to investigate any site in Vietnam that they damn well please, on a moment's notice. After a few months of such snooping, the contingent could return home and announce that they've found no evidence of any more Americans being held captive, and relations would return to the status quo prior to Hanoi's announcement.

Which might not be that great a status quo. A lot is gonna depend on WHEN exactly all this happens. If it's any time pre-Gorbachev, the Cold War is gonna be in full swing, with Vietnam a staunch Soviet ally, and Uncle Sam will not be in a very forgiving mood. There wouldn't be an American attack on Vietnam or even any long-term sanctions, but the Hanoi regime will definitely be seen as the same enemy it was before, not as a possible ally or target for trade agreements.

Last edited:
I would expect to see a lot of people getting dragged in front of congressional committees and the general public demanding the heads of anyone who dismissed earlier reports of remaining POWs. More investigations will be launched over MIAs from Korea and WW2.

Are we going to get a thread for every entry of the Rambo franchise?

If I'm reading the OP correctly, the thread really isn't about the specific plot of Rambo II, ie. vet goes back to Vietnam to rescue POWs, but about the POW issue generally. Putting "Rambo II" in the thread title was actually a bit of bait-and-switch.

If I'm reading the OP correctly, the thread really isn't about the specific plot of Rambo II, ie. vet goes back to Vietnam to rescue POWs, but about the POW issue generally. Putting "Rambo II" in the thread title was actually a bit of bait-and-switch.
Spot on. It was influence by a similar thread about what if the events of Rambo 1 (First Blood) happened IRL.

It does raise in interesting question. Discounting a Rambo-style raid which is certainly space-bat related if it was proven by the reappearance of troops that the Vietcong and North Vietnamese had kept them prisoner for at least 10 years then the effects on the Reagan Government would be huge. Protests, worldwide condemnation, humiliation and possibly even Nixon and Ford being place on trial.

The timing could also be disastrous. If it happened in 1984 or 1988 the elections could be swung
Yes. Yes we are.
Not from me :)

It does raise in interesting question. Discounting a Rambo-style raid which is certainly space-bat related if it was proven by the reappearance of troops that the Vietcong and North Vietnamese had kept them prisoner for at least 10 years then the effects on the Reagan Government would be huge. Protests, worldwide condemnation, humiliation and possibly even Nixon and Ford being place on trial.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that the existence of still-held POWs is revealed in the 1980s, and this leads to a military response by Reagan, followed by worldwide condemnation of the USA for bombing Vietnam?

Or do you mean worldwide condemnation of Vietnam for holding prisoners so long? I personally could see both: there'd be street protest against the USA, but I think a lot of western governments, even if they had opposed the original war, would be pretty horrified about what Vietnam had done. Especially those governments which themselves have troops in overseas conflict zones.

And why would Nixon and Ford be put on trial? Are you positing that they knew about the POWs, but stayed silent about it?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you saying that the existence of still-held POWs is revealed in the 1980s, and this leads to a military response by Reagan, followed by worldwide condemnation of the USA for bombing Vietnam?

Or do you mean worldwide condemnation of Vietnam for holding prisoners so long? I personally could see both: there'd be street protest against the USA, but I think a lot of western governments, even if they had opposed the original war, would be pretty horrified about what Vietnam had done. Especially those governments which themselves have troops in overseas conflict zones.

And why would Nixon and Ford be put on trial? Are you positing that they knew about the POWs, but stayed silent about it?
I'm taking more about Vietnam being condemned. In terms of Nixon and Ford I was thinking about dereliction of duty or something similar but in retrospect they would probably have some kind of immunity.

re: Son Of Rambow.

I was being funny. It's a cute little British coming-of-age film from the 2000s, set in the 1980s. The movie First Blood plays some role in the plot, but it's nothing like an action film.

re: Son Of Rambow.

I was being funny. It's a cute little British coming-of-age film from the 2000s, set in the 1980s. The movie First Blood plays some role in the plot, but it's nothing like an action film.
I know you were. Should have been a bit clearer in my reply. Aspergers rearing its ugly head there.

Spot on. It was influence by a similar thread about what if the events of Rambo 1 (First Blood) happened IRL.

The timing could also be disastrous. If it happened in 1984 or 1988 the elections could be swung

Not from me :)
Well I'm waiting for the Rambo 3 thread in real life

do tell plz

Well, I don't like to give away spoilers, and I don't know how to hide text. So you can check post 15 for the basic idea of the movie, and the trailer can be watched on YouTube.

The basis of my joke is that the film isn't really geopolitical at all. But it's a pretty good period piece for 1980s Britain.

If I read correctly especially during the Gorbymania era, the U.S. and Vietnam were discussing what to do with the remains of POWs along with alleged POWs still being held. Keep note this was done a full decade before Washington and Hanoi officially established diplomatic relations in 1995 under Bill Clinton.