ERIE LACKAWANNA TAKE OVER OF NICKEL PLATE APPROVED
"Ever since the mass-merger trend that started in railroads of the 1920s and continued into the 1950s aside from the Second World War, the New York, Chicago, & St. Louis Railroad, known to most as the Nickel Plate Road, has historically had trouble trying to find a suitable partner for merger. Despite their historically strong record in terms of efficiency and profit, the railroad had always known the day would come where merger would be a necessity. The only question was with whom.

The Nickel Plate Road's first target for a potential merger was the Lehigh Valley Railroad; which linked Buffalo to New York via the coal fields of Northeast Pennsylvania. However, a decrease in profitability of coal with the rise of nuclear power led to the Lehigh Valley's main source of traffic no longer being profitable. Thus decreasing the NKP's reason to take it up, the Canadian National Railroad has since bought a controlling stake in the company and used it as a New York - Buffalo corridor for the Grand Trunk Western.

However, the Nickel Plate seems like it will have a much-coveted partner after all. The Erie Lackawanna, formed from the 1931 merger of the Erie and the Delaware, Lackawanna, & Western; has confirmed that they are in talks of acquiring the Nickel Plate as a way to extend its rather minuscule network further west than Chicago to locations such as Peoria and St. Louis. In addition, the EL management see the NKP's own Chicago line as a possible route for coal and ore trains, thus allowing the EL's own current Chicago main to have trains running at even higher speeds.

Once the merger has been completed, the Nickel Plate will be the largest edition the Erie Lackawanna has made to its network thus far. The largest having been when as part of the series of deals that carved up the bankrupt New York, New Haven, and Hartford, the EL fashioned out a mainline from Poughkeepsie, NY to Boston. As well as the recent deal with the Baltimore & Ohio, out of which the Erie Lackawanna was given the Western Maryland's principal mainline from Connellsville, PA to Baltimore while the B&O got the 'Wild Mary's' Hagerstown - Shippenburg branch; with the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie mainline serving as a way to link the EL's New York - Chicago main with the aforementioned Western Maryland."
- The New York Times; March 16, 1967

Some more things I pondered after my discussions with @SsgtC in the wake of 4014's restoration.

1581997510028.png

The photo depicts Big Boy #4023 as she appeared at Cheyenne on June 23, 1983. That day was her first test run after a complete restoration which had begun shortly after the Challenger #3985 was finished in August 1977.

1581998155657.png

Nickel Plate #587 leads an excursion over the Erie Lackawanna's ex-NKP line from Noblesville to Kokomo on June 3, 1996. This engine, considered by many one of the most iconic Mikados in the American railroad preservation movement, has seen excursion service on the Erie Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, New York Central, Chessie System, Southern, Louisville & Nashville, and Illinois Central as well as a plethora of short lines all across the Midwest and Northeast.

1581999023223.png

Having narrowly escaped an early retirement when a roundhouse at Silver Grove, KY caught fire, Reading 2101's new home was changed to Akron, OH. Thanks to that fact, the Chessie sent her out on a 1979 excursion from Ft. Wayne to Lafayette, IN. This scene shows her on that excursion just east of Logansport.

1581999292011.png

Hudson #5421 was one of several NYC steamers that escaped the scrapper's torch. Eventually, she found her way to Cleveland, and was restored to working order in 2002.

1581999569596.png

One of many CP Steamers that found its way to the States, CP #1293 is part of the Jerry Jacobson Collection based out of the old B&O roundhouse in Akron. She often can be seen doubleheading on various mainlines with ex-GTW #6325, or on her own running over various shortlines. For example, this photo is of her on the Indiana Transpiration Museum's line from Logansport to Noblesville via Kokomo and Tipton.

Last edited:
Another thing I was thinking of recently is what I should do with the Monon.

At first, my original idea was to split it between the Southern and B&O. Since then, I have entertained other ideas like giving it a Canadian railroad like @TheMann did. However, I think with the Chessie System existing ITTL, I could instead have the Southern take up the Monon in its entirety so it can have its own mainline to Chicago.

Does anyone else think I should just move the current outline of these ideas to the Test Thread I created on the writer's forum?

I think would be a good idea make this.

And regards the wagons, what companies you would envision use them?
DHL/Fedex HST, Ford/GM Autocarrier?

People remember my idea for a tourist line over the N&W's Abingdon Branch, right?

What if there were to be a similar tourist line on the former N&W Blacksburg Branch? Is there a chance we could see N&W 475 there instead of Strasburg?

I remember an idea that @SsgtC proposed when we first met was that the Union Pacific Challenger 3985 be the UP engine sent to Omaha instead of Big Boy 4023.

I thought more about it, and was thinking we could include some more Challengers. I specifically had 3967, 3718, 3800, and 3813 as additional surviving Challengers.

@Andrew Boyd. So let´s begin if alternate diesel power :)
Some of them are my own designs, or friends creation units and general official proposed from web.

Part 1

1) 1935 EMD 1.800hp Streamliner Boxcab
B-B Streamliner carbodies suitable for Union Pacific long distance passenger services if inspiration came from M-10000 trainsets.
82890327_151305489627867_5250300578206056448_n.jpg

2) 1940 P.R.R. Centercab diesel
Not so much information on these, but look´s like PRR are interesting in a mainline general freight engine centercab if same style as GG-1. Maybe concerns about safety of crews make they drawing in this style.
8.png

3) 1957 Locomotive of 1975 by GE
Stylized GE universal-type hood unit proposal in 1957. The indor trucks would be a problem regards mechanical and works service. (Maybe if some alterations on project, these could be a rival drawing for EMD GP-7 at time?)
9.png

4) Baldwin 1940 1.500hp Centercab
Design begin in 1940, are suspended due War Production Board controls in 1942 and reactivated in 1944. Powered by two 750hp 408 engines. Never built since the 408 engine project never restart due development of 600 series engine. (I Can see this became a ALCO drawing maybe?)
10.png

5) 1947 EMD Proposal for 600hp A1A-A1A to Ireland. Look´s like a more longer BL-2 unit
11.PNG

6) EMD 1990s F70. Design as alternative to GE P42 Genesis
83120797_156530182438731_4487439203033939968_n.jpg

Let´s continue...

Part 2. Now some of my own designs

1) 1933 ALCO Type I - From my B&W universe.
In 1933, Emerson Electric and ALCO make a agree to built a prototype mainline diesel engine to proven some of new tecnologies came around. In 1936, EE and ALCO came if the Type I articulated diesel-electric model. The model have some relative sucess a the time, if Southern Pacific, Appalachian Midwestern, Great Northern, Boston & Western and Union Pacific order at total of 30 units between 1936 - 1938, and give ALCO a advantage on diesel market over GE and EMD. The Type I have dual cabs and 1,500 hp, and make a base for latter models as ALCO FA-1 and PA ones.
(36) ALCO Type 1.png

2) General Electric 1936 1,000hp MFT-1 Boxcab (Mainline Freight Type 1000)
After the coal crisis from 1930 - 31, many railroads became to look to widespread electrification as rise coal cost. But smaller and medium-sized ones don´t have so much cash to spend in electrification infrastruture, and look to a more modest and universal engine to operate. This came if the GE Universal Boxcab MFT-1 for freight operations, and later MUT-3 (Mainliner Universal Type 3 B-B-B). They smaller but powerfull motors make the perfect unit to hills line and freight operations, and not uncommon see many of them in passenger revenue too. Many are operate until early 70s.
(39) Diesel Boxcab.png

3) 1936 ALCO Type II
After the sucess of Type I, ALCO and Emerson Electric came up if newly model Type II, a B-B-B diesel-electric unit built for general freight and passenger service. These first version are in a way similar to the boxcabs, but after 1942, a second variant are built if streamliner nose similar to ALCO DL-109 and FA for add more security for the crew. Despite that, the Type II are used until 1972 if upgrad motors and electric components, on freight service, and some pass to be used on MOW trains and switcher until 80s.
(35) ALCO Type 2.png

4) 1925 GE/EE Pullman Motor
In 1925, Emerson Electric and Pullman came if the idea to build a DMU regional passenger consist to be use on New York - Portland and Boston to Montreal route. The new trainset begin operation in 1927, consist of two power cabs and eight coaches between. Roads that pass to used are the B&W, GN, ACL, CN and SP.
(42) Pullman DMU Motor Car.png

5) 1952 ALCO DL-480
By late 50s, as way to compete if EMD E-Series, the ALCO came if a new model if focus on freight road, the DL-480, that later know as ALCO FA-5. These model became a sucessive unit, if roads as UP, PRR, NYC, CB&Q, SOU, SP, D&H and Erie that pass to use them for they freight operations. Some specification of ALCO FA-5
- Build date: 1956 - 1962
- Specification: DL-480
- Total produced: 489 units
- Wheel arrangement: C-C
- Power outpoot: 3,600hp

(20) DL-480.png

More units to come...

Last edited:
Thank you @Lucas.

I'll probably look into the SCL of my TL using the Type I, and the Erie Lackawanna at least using the FA-5 in large numbers. The EL of my TL will need to do all it can to compete with an electrified NYC properly..

Thank you @Lucas.

I'll probably look into the SCL of my TL using the Type I, and the Erie Lackawanna at least using the FA-5 in large numbers. The EL of my TL will need to do all it can to compete with an electrified NYC properly..

Nice. Well, to compete if electrics of Central, the FA-5 would be a very good candidate too, I Can see they used some cowl-body units for high speed freights and units as EMD SD40-2, GE U33C. I Have a part 3 of fictional engines that will post, and one of them are the FP60AC, a high horsepower unit that would be ideal to EL use.

@Lucas @SsgtC

What do you think I should do with the Monon ITTL? So far, I've thought of either the Southern or Erie Lackawanna taking it up.

My idea would be that Indianapolis - Chicago line and the Monon - Michigan City line would go to EL, and this would be make the EL have a direct Cincinnati to Chicago route. The rest of Monon would go to Southern. Don´t know if a trackhage right between SOU and EL could possibility the Southern have a direct link to Chicago via Louisville.

This is what i imagine. What you think @Andrew Boyd
Idea Monon-min.png

Yellow - Erie Lackwanna
Green - Southern Railroad

@Andrew Boyd

Part 3 of alternate diesel engines. These are some shared concepts engines, and don´t have a backstory to them.

1) EMD SD35E
(1) EMD SD35E.png

2) PL2000F
(2) PL2000F.png

3) FP60AC - Good for high speed freight?
(3) FP60AC.png

4) PA-Liner
(4) PA-Liner.png

5) RD48C
(5) RD48C.png

6) GP-30WT
(6) GP-30WT.png

7) GRL-2500
(8) GRL-2500.png

8) DRS-1200 - I Can see this one been make by ALCO in late 40s or even GE as to compete if EMD Geeps one
(9) DRS-1200.png

My idea would be that Indianapolis - Chicago line and the Monon - Michigan City line would go to EL, and this would be make the EL have a direct Cincinnati to Chicago route. The rest of Monon would go to Southern. Don´t know if a trackhage right between SOU and EL could possibility the Southern have a direct link to Chicago via Louisville.

This is what i imagine. What you think @Andrew Boyd
View attachment 525140
Yellow - Erie Lackwanna
Green - Southern Railroad
OTOH, I have thought of the whole line going to just one of them.

Lately I've been working on maps for my train ideas in the Map Thread XIX.

My latest idea is that the alternate Indiana Transporation Museum escapes eviction from Noblesville. Instead, it voluntarily moves to Logansport with the Erie Lackawanna's support in 1960. Soon thereafter, it takes up the PRR's South Bend Branch from Logansport to Culver. At Culver, they help turn the city into a popular resort area.