Queen Elizabeth I Feminist

What if Queen Elizabeth I of England had made women equal, or at least less inferior, in English society, on the basis of her being the ruler, so she can do whatever she wants?

karikon

Banned
Any ruler is restrictive by there own power structure and a ruler that goes to far outside of bond of said structure will end up like Aerys II Targaryen. What I am trying to say is that Queen Elizabeth I would have a hard time imposing a law that was a anathema to hear own power base. For the sake of argument, let say gender equality will become a law. Those laws would have to be enforced by officials that have to put it delicately strong patriarchal believes. See might as well send devote Catholics to enforce Protestantism in England.

Just by existing she put a cork in John Knox's bottle :D

That has to be worth some feminist points even if as pointed out above the times were against going much further.

libbrit

Banned
What if Queen Elizabeth I of England had made women equal, or at least less inferior, in English society, on the basis of her being the ruler, so she can do whatever she wants?

Not going to happen. She was a woman in a mans world. She kept her throne by playing people off against each other within the constructs of the society of the day.

In other word, she might have rocked the boat but she didnt try to sink the thing. Had she gone all out, she wouldnt have lasted

Not going to happen. She was a woman in a mans world. She kept her throne by playing people off against each other within the constructs of the society of the day.

In other word, she might have rocked the boat but she didnt try to sink the thing. Had she gone all out, she wouldnt have lasted

Eaxctly. She pushed the elastic band to it's limit, but never actually snapped it. She'd never risk it. She's Henry VIII's daughter -- a bit of a temper, but anything but stupid.

She kept her throne by knowing when to stop.

this also I believe that Elizabeth believed she had the right to rule because she was Henry VIII's daughter and God's anointed Queen not because she believed any every woman was equally up for a job as a man, she believed no less than any one else of her age in the gendered structure of her society, God and the Devine nature of the royal blood were the trump cards for her.

this also I believe that Elizabeth believed she had the right to rule because she was Henry VIII's daughter and God's anointed Queen not because she believed any every woman was equally up for a job as a man, she believed no less than any one else of her age in the gendered structure of her society, God and the Devine nature of the royal blood were the trump cards for her.

It might be fair to say that she had a sense of woman's equality, within a very strictly defined structure-

Assuming that one has been divinely appointed and are the child of the previous monarch, then being a woman makes you no less capable of carrying out those duties.