Prostitution legal in USA

SsgtC

Banned
Were any members of the progressive movement for legalizing prostitution? I would think it would go the other direction. I've had an ultra-dystopian TLIAD about 40% finished for a while now that diverges with the progressive movement going really, really off the rails...
At that time? No. But if the movement had continued and eventually became the dominant political movement in the country, I think it is something that eventually would get passed. Or courts would rule laws banning it to be unconstitutional

Ironically, the best POD might be soon post-Lochner when regulations banning it are struck down as violating the right to contract

Fun fact: the county in Kentucky that is home to Jack Daniel's distillery, is a dry county. They are not allowed to sell their own product there.

You mean Tennessee: Lynchburg, the site of the Jack Daniels distillery, is in (dry) Moore County, TN.

Source? That seems far-fetched, even for Mississippi and Kentucky--and outright absurd for Alaska.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-s...ated-felonies-that-people-can-be-charged-with
From: https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/dry-counties/ (may be 2 or 3 years old)
"Today, almost one-half of the counties in Mississippi are dry. They have their own prohibition against the production, advertising, sale, distribution, or transportation of alcoholic beverages within their boundaries. It is even illegal to bring alcohol through a dry county in Mississippi while traveling."

Last edited:
Supposedly when Prohibition was lifted Eliot Ness was asked what he was going to do next. He reportedly said. "I believe I'll have a drink." I wonder what he would have said upon being informed of the legalization of prostitution?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
This could also happen if the Progressive Era had continued. But for that too happen, I think you need the United States to stay out of both Worlds Wars. Especially WWI. Harding won with his "return to normalcy" . . .
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Red Scare and the Palmer Raids (A. Mitchell Palmer who was Atty. Gen.)

I think there was about (?) 10 letter bombs. It was legitimately scary times.

But of course our response to it was counterproductive. And J. Edgar Hoover was somewhere in the Justice Dept. and another Atty. Gen. promoted him to head of the FBI in 1924 when he (Hoover) was still a very young man, and then we were saddled with him for almost another fifty years.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . And the sociopolitical aftermath of any such ruling would make Roe v. Wade look like an argument about speed-limits.

Probably, you'd see heavy pressure for a constitutional amendment . . .
But I don’t think that heavy pressure would be near enough.

I mean, look at the big one Brown vs. Board of Education (1954). There was huge opposition, bill boards in the south, somehow it got wrap up in anti-communism. And the north was no great shakes on civil rights either, other than projecting problems onto the south.

Now, on this one, I of course wish it wasn’t the case and wish people were far more sensible, say, taking the view post-WWI that of course a black person is just a regular person who has the same rights as anyone else.

But my point is, nowhere near a Constitutional amendment.

Now, there is a recent one in which I think the Court was very much mistaken and that’s Citizens United (2010). Announced on Jan. 21, 2010. In my universe, one more step in the direction of plutocracy, rather than democracy. Yes, we can manage it, I do strive for an attitude both realistic and optimistic. But does take time away from more worthwhile pursuits, at the very least.

So, another unpopular decision, but nowhere near the kind of movement we’d need for a Constitutional amendment.

Furthermore, I’d say that although the supreme Court faces checks and balances in theory, in the real world for whatever confluence of factors, other than initial appointment and confirmation, the Court is a largely unaccountable branch.

Last edited:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-s...ated-felonies-that-people-can-be-charged-with
From: https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/dry-counties/ (may be 2 or 3 years old)
"Today, almost one-half of the counties in Mississippi are dry. They have their own prohibition against the production, advertising, sale, distribution, or transportation of alcoholic beverages within their boundaries. It is even illegal to bring alcohol through a dry county in Mississippi while traveling."
That, I can readily believe. In fact, that provision about traveling through a dry county sounds suspiciously like a revenue machine (read: a racket run by the county government). That's incredible about Alaska, though: I thought the libertarian types were pretty solidly in control there.