Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Timothy Pickering's planned Northern Confederacy.

Attachments

• Northern Confederacy.png
    Northern Confederacy.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 512
Timothy Pickering's planned Northern Confederacy.
Funnily enough the earliest forms of this were in 1786 and a somewhat later revival in 1804 (but not the 1812 version) included "down to the Potomac": https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/the-essex-junto/

It sounds like it would've been a northern-in-general thing given the chance but the majority were fine as New Englanders with a NE focus and NY/NJ at least as buffering.

Slovakia being that close to Budapest somehow would make Magyar revanchism even worse than historically. Just, ugh.

Another proposal for a Czechoslovak Lusatia between 1918 and 1919. And what seems to be an alternate Slovak-Hungarian border.
View attachment 855201

Looks like the Czechs also got the old County of Glatz/Klodsko too... seems appropriate, as it had been closer associated with Bohemia proper than with the various duchies of Silesia within the Lands of the Bohemian Crown....

A few separate Yugoslavia-based proposals:

1) Between 1920 and the creation of the Banovina of Croatia, one frequently discussed proposal was the "amputation" of Croatia from Yugoslavia, turning Yugoslavia into a solely Greater Serbian state. According to some sources, even King Alexander was in favor of this. The general idea behind it was that the Croats weren't too keen on the centralized nature of the Yugoslav state which was favored by the Serbian elite. I'm sadly unaware of any maps that feature specific proposals on what the future Serbian-Croatian border should be, however the "Homogenous Serbia" proposal by Stevan Moljević in 1941 might provide a good reference, as would be the Yugoslav oblasts of Split & Primorje-Krajina & Zagreb & Osijek.

2) When the Banovia of Croatia was created, it was also suggested to turn the remainder of Yugoslavia into Banovias, turning Yugoslavia into a firmly federal state.

Yugoslavia_proposed_banovinas_1939_1941.png

3) During Croatia's war of independence, the Z-4 Plan proposed in early 1995 would've seen the formal creation of an autonomous Serbian region with Croatia, with its own flag, police, and cultural institutions.

how-croatia-would-today-be-if-rsk-accepted-the-z-4-plan-v0-2le155189mfa1.jpg

Interestingly, the automous region would lose its largest city, Vukovar, and that type of proposal may exasperate issues Croatia faces IOTL about municipalities that have Serbian as a recognized language.

Last edited:
3) During Croatia's war of independence, the Z-4 Plan proposed in early 1995 would've seen the formal creation of an autonomous Serbian region with Croatia, with its own flag, police, and cultural institutions.

how-croatia-would-today-be-if-rsk-accepted-the-z-4-plan-v0-2le155189mfa1.jpg

Interestingly, the automous region would lose its largest city, Vukovar, and that type of proposal may exasperate issues Croatia faces IOTL about municipalities that have Serbian as a recognized language.
Yes, there's no way this plan could have possibly gone wrong.

Yes, there's no way this plan could have possibly gone wrong.
That peace plan got abandoned when Serbian nationalists within Croatia saw it as too many concessions given to the Croatian state, so... Take from that what you will.
The whole collapse of Yugoslavia could've been even messier and bloodier and could've created multiple figurative Bosnia & Herzegovinas and Kosovos...

Following from this post, I tried my best to plot out the Bhutanese enclaves within Tibet. They are all within Ngari prefecture, in Tibet's west.
I'm certain of the location of the enclaves within Burang Co. (eight enclaves east of Minsar), not so with the ones in Zanda or Gar, which I think are Sanmar/Samur and Gezon/Gar Dzong respectively.
The sites I'm uncertain of are Ite/Itse Gompa, Gesur, Gezon and Samur: The latter two I've tentatively plotted out in the far west (esp. given that Gezon should be situated in Gar Co., and may be(?) the same as Shiquanhe, Gar Dzong) but aside from that all I know is that they should be in the vicinity of each other to the north of Uttarakhand, as opposed to the Bhutanese enclaves in Burang Co., which are north of Nepal.

This is the best I've been able to plot out, so if anyone has any better do let me know.

0EmGOQz.png

Last edited: